Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 01:43 AM   #15401
tuq
TEEJ
 
tuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 46,363
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Clark,

Will Perdue and 35 cents will get you a phone call. That's about it.
tuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 AM   #15402
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuq View Post
Clark,

Will Perdue and 35 cents will get you a phone call. That's about it.
lolol
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #15403
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,703
All the one-liners are awesome, but the real indictment of the Perdue pick is that a two-time all-star at the same position went with the next pick.

Also, does anyone have even close to Clark's aversion to drafting players who entered the league after 1990?
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #15404
KLJ
20k hands/day
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Topeka
Posts: 5,701
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath View Post
All the one-liners are awesome, but the real indictment of the Perdue pick is that a two-time all-star at the same position went with the next pick.

Also, does anyone have even close to Clark's aversion to drafting players who entered the league after 1990?
he has 4 (houston, butler, mo williams, haslem). i think i have only 2 (carter, mcdyess). i would assume my average draft year is much, much lower (if this is even an accomplishment). fwiw, i think having a large number of older players makes it a bit tough for the average fan to judge.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #15405
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

it's pretty damning of the NBA that Kevin Duckworth is a two-time all-star.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #15406
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,703
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
it's pretty damning of the NBA that Kevin Duckworth is a two-time all-star.
yeah, I spent quite a bit of time on b-ref trying to figure out how that happened
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #15407
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Will Perdue > Milsap, for example.
lol
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #15408
NopairParker
old hand
 
NopairParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Little Armenia
Posts: 1,386
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

I think clark just got excited about the per 36 numbers of purdue.
NopairParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #15409
LurchySoprano
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LurchySoprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,282
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Taking Shawn Bradley.

Nicholasp27 is on the clock.
LurchySoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #15410
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,252
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Thought about Shawn Bradley, but even though he had a ton of blocks and ok rebounding numbers, his teams always were mediocre to bad defensively, which you hate to see from a center who is almost entirely a defensive player. I don't think he brings enough to the table to make up for the embarrassment of having the most dunked on player in the history of the league on your team.
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #15411
NopairParker
old hand
 
NopairParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Little Armenia
Posts: 1,386
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

I disagree, I think bradley is a great pick here.

He is a presence in the paint, whether he blocked the shot or not, he altered many more.

He would never allow an easy layup or dunk, he would contest everything, which is why he was the most dunked on. IF he knew he had no shot at blocking your shot he would just foul you really hard, he had no bad feelings about it. Great player to have on your team especially coming off the bench where his weakness in offense wont hurt as much.

He adds possessions to your team with O rebounds and blocked shots.
NopairParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #15412
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,703
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by NopairParker View Post
He is a presence in the paint
In the sense that he has matter and occupies physical space, I agree.
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #15413
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

bradley is great here
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #15414
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,252
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

My problem with Bradley is that while he gets his fair share of blocks and rebounds, his teams sucked on defense as a whole. Here's the rank of defenses he played on:

25 17 9 23 18 24 25 24 13 25 9 26 9

That's pretty poor for a center considered an offensive liability, and if you'll notice, two of his three best seasons came at the tail end of his career when he was no longer a starter and averaged 21 and 11 mpg. It's not entirely fair to pin the blame on him for a team stat, but if he really was a good defensive center, you would think that his teams would be at least mediocre as center is the most important defensive position on the floor.
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #15415
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

yeah but a solid chunk of that was with the Don Nelson era Mavs.

I don't think Bradley is amazing or anything. I just think he's an extremely solid big man who you can trot out there for 15-20 a game on a good team, more if your starter gets injured.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #15416
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,252
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

While it's true that he played for Nelson, they were merely fast and not insanely out of control fast like Golden State has been. I mean, I get that it's a ninth round pick and most guys left are going to be pretty mediocre, I just don't think that he's great value here, this is right around where he should be going.
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #15417
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by NopairParker View Post

He would never allow an easy layup or dunk, he would contest everything, which is why he was the most dunked on.
This is so true. I'd say the most "dunks on xxxx" videos on youtube belong to Bradley, Yao, and Mutombo. I wonder why.

Bradley is a solid pick there imo.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #15418
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Will Perdue > Milsap, for example.
Weight and height?
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #15419
Classic
formerly ClassicBob
 
Classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champions
Posts: 5,962
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
it's pretty damning of the NBA that Kevin Duckworth is a two-time all-star.
Quack Quack Quack Quack, Mr. Duckworth.
Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #15420
NopairParker
old hand
 
NopairParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Little Armenia
Posts: 1,386
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudd View Post
My problem with Bradley is that while he gets his fair share of blocks and rebounds, his teams sucked on defense as a whole. Here's the rank of defenses he played on:

25 17 9 23 18 24 25 24 13 25 9 26 9

That's pretty poor for a center considered an offensive liability, and if you'll notice, two of his three best seasons came at the tail end of his career when he was no longer a starter and averaged 21 and 11 mpg. It's not entirely fair to pin the blame on him for a team stat, but if he really was a good defensive center, you would think that his teams would be at least mediocre as center is the most important defensive position on the floor.

At 7 foot 7 or whatever height he is, he was not as mobile as most of the dominanent big men centers and didnt the same impact on the game as they did. This is why he is a ninth round pick. the hakeems and admirals could guard the entire painted area and then some areas outside as well. Bradley can defend his own man, and protect the rim. He is a good luxury to have off the bench because guards off the bench are usually scorers and let their men get past them to the pain a lot, it is nice knowing that bradley will not allow an easy layup. One way or another there will not be any easy scores in the paint when bradley is in the game.
NopairParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #15421
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 72,764
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

NPP is right... You know, he's been one of my faves in this thread as far as scrutinizing players
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #15422
LurchySoprano
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LurchySoprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,282
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by NopairParker View Post
At 7 foot 7 or whatever height he is, he was not as mobile as most of the dominanent big men centers and didnt the same impact on the game as they did. This is why he is a ninth round pick. the hakeems and admirals could guard the entire painted area and then some areas outside as well. Bradley can defend his own man, and protect the rim. He is a good luxury to have off the bench because guards off the bench are usually scorers and let their men get past them to the pain a lot, it is nice knowing that bradley will not allow an easy layup. One way or another there will not be any easy scores in the paint when bradley is in the game.
This basically sums up what I was thinking perfectly. I realize Bradley has his faults, but IMO he also has more positives than most of the players that have gone at this point. At the very least, he'll erase shots and alter a ton of shots which IMO makes him very valuable for this stage of the draft. I'll probably trot him out there for 15-20 minutes a night and use him to erase mistakes my guards make on defense or at least protect the rim.
LurchySoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #15423
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by NopairParker View Post
At 7 foot 7 or whatever height he is, he was not as mobile as most of the dominanent big men centers and didnt the same impact on the game as they did. This is why he is a ninth round pick. the hakeems and admirals could guard the entire painted area and then some areas outside as well. Bradley can defend his own man, and protect the rim. He is a good luxury to have off the bench because guards off the bench are usually scorers and let their men get past them to the pain a lot, it is nice knowing that bradley will not allow an easy layup. One way or another there will not be any easy scores in the paint when bradley is in the game.

isn't this untrue for our league though?
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #15424
KLJ
20k hands/day
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Topeka
Posts: 5,701
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
isn't this untrue for our league though?
i don't think the defensive ability of backup 2s and 3s relative to the league average offensive ability is much (if any) different from that of the NBA. in fact, i would think that the gap in our league would be wider, because many of the poor defensive players in this league were allowed the luxury of guarding poor offensive players in the NBA. here, they're mostly guarding players with the offensive ability to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd options.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #15425
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,703
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
i don't think the defensive ability of backup 2s and 3s relative to the league average offensive ability is much (if any) different from that of the NBA. in fact, i would think that the gap in our league would be wider, because many of the poor defensive players in this league were allowed the luxury of guarding poor offensive players in the NBA. here, they're mostly guarding players with the offensive ability to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd options.
I for one plan to win all my games 145-140
nath is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive