Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #14851
Omar Comin
fantasy failure
 
Omar Comin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hold on we're going home
Posts: 27,358
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

yes?
Omar Comin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #14852
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,034
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I guess I should have picked Jordan, Bird, Shaq, Duncan and Magic if that's the way things work ^^.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #14853
Shark Doctor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Shark Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 11,739
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
i kinda want to read what he said about the guy i just drafted ^^.
Just check wikipedia
Shark Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #14854
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,034
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

yeah i forgot that's how he rolls.....
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #14855
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Ken Norman, heh - never heard of him. Ft shooting is ugh and his D looks bad judging by his drtg vs his teams drtg. But from 24-30 you get 16/7 per36, so I guess he's OK. I dunno, I think there are others that I would have taken before him.

D
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #14856
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Round 7 Pick 280

PG Vern Fleming






Vern Fleming is a 6’ 5” point guard which is quite tall and allows me for some lineup flexibility. With a tall PG I am now afforded the luxury of starting Josh Smith at the 4 in a lineup looking like this.

PG Vern Fleming 6’5”
SG Jason Terry 6’2”
SF Michael Jordan 6’6”
PF Josh Smith 6’9”
C Marcus Camby 6’11”

Now this team will fly up and down the court creating havoc with the numerous fast break opportunities. The real benefits of having a big PG come on the defensive. Jason Terry is not big enough nor strong enough to effectively guard the 2, however Fleming possesses the requisite height and strength to match up with the 2 allowing Terry to guard the 1, which is vital to his success.

As already stated this pick allows for me to create numerous matchup problems on the offensive end while minimizing my defensive flaws. This allows for a fast break up-tempo offense with Fleming and Jordan pushing the ball, Terry spotting up for 3 with Smith and Camby slashing as trailers after one of their many blocks. My team is going to run and run and run and maybe even gun.

Now let’s look at some numbers
Age 24
82 games
12 ppg
6 apg
57% TS%
15.8 PER

Per 36min career average
14.7 ppg
6.3 apg
4.4 rpg

Career average
15.1 PER
55% TS%
Played in 893/984 possible games



Team So Far

PG- Vern Fleming
SG- Jason Terry
SG/SF-Michael Jordan
SF/PF- Josh Smith
PF/C- Marcus Camby
Bench- Juwan Howard
Bench- Joe Smith
Bench- Vinnie Johnson
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #14857
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

meh at the Jordan -> SF proposition, but I like the pick.

edit: Also, don't agree this minimizes any defensive mismatches. Your point about Terry and Fleming applies even more so to Terry and Jordan. The whole reason I liked the Terry pick was because of Jordan.

Fleming is 6'5" but he's 185lbs. And a lot of Jordan's defensive prowess is negated when you slide him to the 3. Guys like Paul Pierce and LeBron would chew him up.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #14858
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Just read on wiki that Vern holds record for most career games w/o a tech! I vaguely remember his late career when he split minutes w/ other PGs. Good TS% for a PG, esp considering he didnt shoot the 3 at all. Obv b/c of his size. Looks like he was sub par defender, but I don't know if there are any good PG defenders out there.

D
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #14859
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

jordan doesnt necessarily have to play the 3. i can go w/

pg- fleming
sg- jordan
sf- smith
pf- howard/ joe smith
c- camby

for a lineup w/ everyone at least 6'5"

it just gives me some extra flexibility to match up w/ plenty of teams
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #14860
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

plus it would be cool to see joe smiths whole name on the uniform
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #14861
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by D104 View Post
Just read on wiki that Vern holds record for most career games w/o a tech! I vaguely remember his late career when he split minutes w/ other PGs. Good TS% for a PG, esp considering he didnt shoot the 3 at all. Obv b/c of his size. Looks like he was sub par defender, but I don't know if there are any good PG defenders out there.

D
I really don't remember much of Vern either, other than him being on those Pacer teams. Seems like a decent pick though. Fadi's guy I'd honestly never heard of.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #14862
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Steroid's starting 5 offensive strategy:

1. Give ball to Jordan.
2. Get the hell out of the way.
3. If Jordan quadruple teamed, pass to Terry for 3.
4. Crash offensive glass like crazy.
5. Repeat.
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #14863
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

steroid,

see my edit. I went a little deeper with it. Flexibility is a good thing and it's good you can go small, I just wouldn't go with it as my default lineup.

Also, both just having "smith" on their jersey is balla.

I guess I got some catching up to do with the round recaps. I'll try to bang out 6 and 7 this week. Tonight it won't happen.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #14864
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

its not my default lineup. my lineup would depend on the matchups and who i was playing.

if i was playing clarks team i wouldnt go to this lineup b/c I would get killed underneath. The pick allows for me to choose my lineup based on my opponents lineup which I couldnt do previously
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #14865
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by D104 View Post
Steroid's starting 5 offensive strategy:

1. Give ball to Jordan.
2. Get the hell out of the way.
3. If Jordan quintuple teamed, pass to Terry for 3.
4. Crash offensive glass like crazy.
5. Repeat.
fyp
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #14866
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

These round recaps are going to get much harder, now. I doubt any of these guys have good youtube clips. For Fleming you could link to that "hey vern" guy, I guess.

D
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #14867
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I still like how Steroid somehow got the two best shotblockers in the NBA. If he had a PF that could defend bigs and was good on the offensive end, his team would have been lots betta, but I don't think this was possible.

D

Edit: kurt Thomas / David west in the 5th would have been much nicer than juwan Howard - I think that pick kinda hurt the team.

Last edited by D104; 07-07-2008 at 06:55 PM.
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #14868
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

the easter eggs will be less abundant but there are some gems fo sho
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #14869
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by D104 View Post
I still like how Steroid somehow got the two best shotblockers in the NBA. If he had a PF that could defend bigs and was good on the offensive end, his team would have been lots betta, but I don't think this was possible.

D
i ****ed up and prob shoulda taken perkins over either howard or joe smith

oh no better not let epipen see that <3
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #14870
van_exel_fan
grinder
 
van_exel_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: witness protection
Posts: 539
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbenhoe View Post
I deleted Fadi's pick for him, hope he sees he needs to repick.
Was waiting for this to happen...
van_exel_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #14871
van_exel_fan
grinder
 
van_exel_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: witness protection
Posts: 539
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steroid Boy View Post
Round 7 Pick 280

PG Vern Fleming






Vern Fleming is a 6’ 5” point guard which is quite tall and allows me for some lineup flexibility. With a tall PG I am now afforded the luxury of starting Josh Smith at the 4 in a lineup looking like this.

PG Vern Fleming 6’5”
SG Jason Terry 6’2”
SF Michael Jordan 6’6”
PF Josh Smith 6’9”
C Marcus Camby 6’11”

Now this team will fly up and down the court creating havoc with the numerous fast break opportunities. The real benefits of having a big PG come on the defensive. Jason Terry is not big enough nor strong enough to effectively guard the 2, however Fleming possesses the requisite height and strength to match up with the 2 allowing Terry to guard the 1, which is vital to his success.

As already stated this pick allows for me to create numerous matchup problems on the offensive end while minimizing my defensive flaws. This allows for a fast break up-tempo offense with Fleming and Jordan pushing the ball, Terry spotting up for 3 with Smith and Camby slashing as trailers after one of their many blocks. My team is going to run and run and run and maybe even gun.

Now let’s look at some numbers
Age 24
82 games
12 ppg
6 apg
57% TS%
15.8 PER

Per 36min career average
14.7 ppg
6.3 apg
4.4 rpg

Career average
15.1 PER
55% TS%
Played in 893/984 possible games



Team So Far

PG- Vern Fleming
SG- Jason Terry
SG/SF-Michael Jordan
SF/PF- Josh Smith
PF/C- Marcus Camby
Bench- Juwan Howard
Bench- Joe Smith
Bench- Vinnie Johnson
Yo, no way Jordan could have a worse team...
van_exel_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #14872
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I think ppl have said this before, but it was possible that steroids team could have been something like:

R. Strickland
jordan
Mike miller
David west
camby

Which I like. Nonetheless, his starting 5 of vern/jordan/smith/smith/camby is very stout defensively, but lacks any real offensive presence on the inside.

D
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #14873
van_exel_fan
grinder
 
van_exel_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: witness protection
Posts: 539
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by D104 View Post
I think ppl have said this before, but it was possible that steroids team could have been something like:

R. Strickland
jordan
Mike miller
David west
camby

Which I like. Nonetheless, his starting 5 of vern/jordan/smith/smith/camby is very stout defensively, but lacks any real offensive presence on the inside.

D
I mean, Jordan and Bill Wennington wn championships so it's not like he needs that much help, ya know?
van_exel_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #14874
van_exel_fan
grinder
 
van_exel_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: witness protection
Posts: 539
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by D104 View Post
I think ppl have said this before, but it was possible that steroids team could have been something like:

R. Strickland
jordan
Mike miller
David west
camby

Which I like. Nonetheless, his starting 5 of vern/jordan/smith/smith/camby is very stout defensively, but lacks any real offensive presence on the inside.

D
What makes you think that Mike Miller takes steriods?
van_exel_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #14875
D104
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
D104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a better place.
Posts: 18,272
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Random: The more I look over the draft, the more I believe that getting sabonis in the 3rd was a gigantic steal.

D
D104 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive