Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
Two Plus Two Forums
Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

06-25-2008 , 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergsz Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
I think it may be time to start imposing time limits.... This thing has just slowed down way too much.
It's really just a handful of guys that are slacking, most ppl are on it when it comes time to pick. Unfortunately, most of those guys are grouped together.

D
06-25-2008 , 07:15 PM
How bout 2 days of grace period, and then we move, the guy gets to pick when or if he ever gets back. It's not like the difference in players now is that much anyways. And 2 days is a really long time anyway for this draft.

Last edited by capone0; 06-25-2008 at 07:27 PM.
06-25-2008 , 07:22 PM
I'm fine with that, it's ridiculous that guys are taking multiple days to make a pick, especially when they were on deck for multiple days before that.
06-25-2008 , 07:47 PM
I'd be in favor of some sort of time-limit.
06-25-2008 , 08:14 PM
i think a soft 1 day limit is better.

i.e. if something comes up, just post in the thread and you dont get skipped. if you're going to be gone for a week/weekend, just post in the thread to warn people and you dont get skipped (or send a pick list). however, if you simply aren't checking and don't have a reason why not, you get skipped after a period of 1 day (and you can make up your pick whenever you get back)

i think this is best, because while it's not reasonable to expect people to always pick in the 24 hours immediately following the previous pick, it is reasonable to expect people to be able to give some kind of warning if they can't. all kinds of special circumstances, just post in the freakin thread and you dont get skipped/dropped (i.e. nicholasp27 doesn't post on weekends, so we don't expect him to)

the slow nature of this thread allows you to pinpoint (at least within a few days) when your pick is going to be, so it's not like it's ever a surprise.
06-25-2008 , 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
i think a soft 1 day limit is better.

i.e. if something comes up, just post in the thread and you dont get skipped. if you're going to be gone for a week/weekend, just post in the thread to warn people and you dont get skipped (or send a pick list). however, if you simply aren't checking and don't have a reason why not, you get skipped after a period of 1 day (and you can make up your pick whenever you get back)

i think this is best, because while it's not reasonable to expect people to always pick in the 24 hours immediately following the previous pick, it is reasonable to expect people to be able to give some kind of warning if they can't. all kinds of special circumstances, just post in the freakin thread and you dont get skipped/dropped (i.e. nicholasp27 doesn't post on weekends, so we don't expect him to)

the slow nature of this thread allows you to pinpoint (at least within a few days) when your pick is going to be, so it's not like it's ever a surprise.

I think this idea is the best balance between respecting people's lives/circumstances and not allowing the draft to drag on til Thanksgiving because of a few negligent posters.
06-25-2008 , 08:41 PM
if we do something like this, I think the following should be some ground rules:

1. weekends are off limits. It's just unreasonable to assume people will always be available and it's silly to make them warn us every Friday. At the very least, compile a list of non-weekend guys, ala NickP.
2. two days should be the soft limit. People overestimate how long 1 day is.
3. I never get skipped.
06-25-2008 , 09:44 PM
i agree with 1 and 3.

i would agree with 2 days if it were 2 days from when they were on deck (or in the hole), but waiting 2 days for a pick and then having 2 more days for your own pick realistically means that we're not expecting people to be available at least once during those 4 days. i think you're overestimating how much maintenance goes into checking a spreadsheet for 1 minute once every couple days when it's near your pick
06-25-2008 , 10:38 PM
I mean, it's not like it really matters now. Most of us have at least 75% of our minutes filled out already. If you get skipped a couple picks it's not gonna be a big deal at all.
06-25-2008 , 10:47 PM
I agree with you guys, this thing is dragging. Skip people after 48 hours imo.
06-26-2008 , 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
i think a soft 1 day limit is better.

i.e. if something comes up, just post in the thread and you dont get skipped. if you're going to be gone for a week/weekend, just post in the thread to warn people and you dont get skipped (or send a pick list). however, if you simply aren't checking and don't have a reason why not, you get skipped after a period of 1 day (and you can make up your pick whenever you get back)

i think this is best, because while it's not reasonable to expect people to always pick in the 24 hours immediately following the previous pick, it is reasonable to expect people to be able to give some kind of warning if they can't. all kinds of special circumstances, just post in the freakin thread and you dont get skipped/dropped (i.e. nicholasp27 doesn't post on weekends, so we don't expect him to)

the slow nature of this thread allows you to pinpoint (at least within a few days) when your pick is going to be, so it's not like it's ever a surprise.
This is really good. I agree with the weekends being off limits thing + appreciating people who would leave lists if it were close to them (like within 5 picks).
06-26-2008 , 12:30 AM
Yeah, i mean if you slip 6 picks its just not a big deal at all.
06-26-2008 , 12:33 AM
There really is no excuse in taking so freaking long to pick, especially since u should know roughly when ur pick is coming up, it's ridiculous, just check the site once a day it takes less than a freaking minute.

The pace this draft has been moving at recently is really ridiculous.
06-26-2008 , 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
Yeah, i mean if you slip 6 picks its just not a big deal at all.
Agreed. If you slip 6 picks, it's hugely likely your guy is going to get picked. I haven't had any guys super high up on my list disappear any time lately. I'm not saying I wouldn't care--I would because I'm thoroughly enjoying participating in the draft, but for people who aren't checking every couple days anyways, it wouldn't be super important to them anyways.
06-26-2008 , 12:38 AM
+1 for skipping van exel fan and No Pair Parker
06-26-2008 , 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobboFitos Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
+1 for skipping van exel fan and No Pair Parker
+1
06-26-2008 , 12:42 AM
If we are just skipping people and letting them pick whenever they come back, I think 24 hours (without advanced warning) is fair, this means you generally only fall like 1-2 picks. NFL draft they have like 10 minutes come on.
06-26-2008 , 03:51 AM
a bit drunk right now, so I'm trying to make sense with what I type here....



I agree with the sentiment expressed by everyone. However, havn't we already been through this?....when I started this thing, I was worried about getting enough sign ups, so I purposefully made it "no time limit" to encourage the casual people who only check 2p2 maybe once every week to sign up too. I'm sure that some people signed up only because of my no time limit rule. To change that now would be very unfair to them, no? Again, I fully agree with how everyone feels here, and I'm not arguing that point at all.
06-26-2008 , 05:29 AM
i think that all went out the window when we decided to drop bigcat from the draft.
06-26-2008 , 08:42 AM
I don't have a strong feeling either way - Assani makes a valid point & virtually everyone else does too. If I have a vote, I abstain. IMO, since BigCat was a habitual offender, making an exception for dropping him did not set a precident. VEF has been generally timely with his picks IIRC.
06-26-2008 , 09:08 AM
have a face melter than im looking to move up to take
06-26-2008 , 10:26 AM
I think the most equitable solution is to have someone take temporary, if not permanent custody of the team. Skipping seems odd, and benefits the people picking immediately after the skipee, whereas if someone takes over - the order is maintained.

Perhaps even a committee of a couple respected posters could be like "all-time pickers" for those who don't show after a while.

D
06-26-2008 , 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D104 Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
I think the most equitable solution is to have someone take temporary, if not permanent custody of the team. Skipping seems odd, and benefits the people picking immediately after the skipee, whereas if someone takes over - the order is maintained.

Perhaps even a committee of a couple respected posters could be like "all-time pickers" for those who don't show after a while.

D
What if the guy who owns the team doesn't want what the committee picks? Honestly this draft is so slow around some areas it's rediculous lately.
06-26-2008 , 11:59 AM
It's not like it matters if you get skipped right now. When we were talking about the 2nd and 3 rounds, yeah. But it's the 7th round now.
06-26-2008 , 12:00 PM
I agree, we have had 1 pick (thanks to Xorb/D) in the past week (or it seems) Lets get it moving, VEF hasn't even logged on!

      
m