Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #13526
mjw0586
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
mjw0586's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 37,375
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

You think that you'll ever admit that Celtics fans, especially on this board, are homers? And yes, this includes yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Maybe you should admit that these Celtic fans know a lot more about the Celtics than you do and can make a lot better assesments of their players, just like you know a lot more about the Wizards than we do?
mjw0586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #13527
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw0586 View Post
You think that you'll ever admit that Celtics fans, especially on this board, are homers? And yes, this includes yourself.
I am not a homer (which implies I drastically overrate my players/team), I am a fan.

I am sure I am slightly biased, but it's not ridiculous in any way shape or form.

Infact I "underrate" (think less of than most Celtics fans) more players on the Celtics than I do "overrate" (think more of than most Celtic fans.)

I "underrate" KG, Rondo, and 2 undrafted bench players, one of them who a lot of Celtics fans overrate.

I only "overrate" Posey and Perkins.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #13528
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
You have laughed countlessly throughout this thread at the "watch the games argument". You don't realize that watching the games a lot of times tells u MORE than the stats can especially on the defensive end. You seem to think otherwise, I guarentee you if let me or anyone else who knows basketball watch a full year of a player on defense, I can tell you more accurately how good of a defensive player they are than stats can.

That's the whole point of watching the games, it has a ton of merit on the defensive side of the ball (offensive not so much, as stats do a much better job on offense but are still flawed). You will always get a better understanding on how good a player is on defense if you watch the games, than if you look at stats (even the advanced ones).

I am def not a very big homer and I guarentee you I know more about the Celtics than you do and it's not even close.
I think watching the games is very important. I think you watch a lot of Celtics games. I think you're very biased. I think many homers' opinions are very good and I value them greatly. I think your opinions on many issues are good. I think your opinions on your home teams' players suck because of your bias.


For the third time now I'm going to ask you to explain this statement: "But Assani has stats that accurately show how good/bad someones pick and roll defense and 1v1 man defense are which are easily more effective than watching the games." When did I say this?????
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #13529
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
I am not a homer (which implies I drastically overrate my players/team), I am a fan.

I am sure I am slightly biased, but it's not ridiculous in any way shape or form.

Infact I "underrate" (think less of than most Celtics fans) more players on the Celtics than I do "overrate" (think more of than most Celtic fans.)

I "underrate" KG, Rondo, and 2 undrafted bench players, one of them who a lot of Celtics fans overrate.

I only "overrate" Posey and Perkins.
EPeen,

I told you in the "Boston wins 3 champsionps" thread that you're the biggest homer I know. I also complimented you and told you that when not discussing your team, you are a good poster.

Other people have told you that you are a homer in both that thread and this thread. Many many people have said this.

Do you really think that we're all just picking on you for no reason? Do you really think that we're all just dumb? Seriously....why do you think we are all telling you this if its not true?

I just don't get how multiple people can be telling you something and you still maintain you're right. Its mind boggling to me.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #13530
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
I think watching the games is very important. I think you watch a lot of Celtics games. I think you're very biased. I think many homers' opinions are very good and I value them greatly. I think your opinions on many issues are good. I think your opinions on your home teams' players suck because of your bias.


For the third time now I'm going to ask you to explain this statement: "But Assani has stats that accurately show how good/bad someones pick and roll defense and 1v1 man defense are which are easily more effective than watching the games." When did I say this?????

Do you really think that we're all just picking on you for no reason? Do you really think that we're all just dumb? Seriously....why do you think we are all telling you this if its not true?

I just don't get how multiple people can be telling you something and you still maintain you're right. Its mind boggling to me.
I concluded that since you laughed at my watching the games comment (which was almost always reffering to the defensive side of the ball) and acted like it had 0 merit, that stats can tell you everything.

Therefore I thought u had accurate stats to show how good someones pick and roll defense, and 1v1 man post defense was, or heck even defense in general, since you always laugh at watching the games comments.

I think you guys are all misinformed or don't watch the games. I was laughed at when I said the Celtics were 15:1 to win before the year too and no one agreed with me then either. I was laughed at when I picked the Pats at 3:1 and Red Sox at 5:1 before the start of football season as well. I was laughed at when I said Perkins could do a good job vs Gasol. They clearly were all right and I was wrong since I was in the huge minority....oh wait
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #13531
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
EPeen,

I told you in the "Boston wins 3 champsionps" thread that you're the biggest homer I know. I also complimented you and told you that when not discussing your team, you are a good poster.

Other people have told you that you are a homer in both that thread and this thread. Many many people have said this.

Do you really think that we're all just picking on you for no reason? Do you really think that we're all just dumb? Seriously....why do you think we are all telling you this if its not true?

I just don't get how multiple people can be telling you something and you still maintain you're right. Its mind boggling to me.
You mean in the thread which showed I was a lot more accurate than everyone else in? Yes you really showed I was the biggest homer you know.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #13532
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
I concluded that since you laughed at my watching the games comment (which was almost always reffering to the defensive side of the ball) and acted like it had 0 merit, that stats can tell you everything.

Therefore I thought u had accurate stats to show how good someones pick and roll defense, and 1v1 man post defense was, or heck even defense in general, since you always laugh at watching the games comments.
This might be the worst logic in the entire thread.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #13533
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
I think you guys are all misinformed or don't watch the games. I was laughed at when I said the Celtics were 15:1 to win before the year too and no one agreed with me then either. I was laughed at when I picked the Pats at 3:1 and Red Sox at 5:1 before the start of football season as well. I was laughed at when I said Perkins could do a good job vs Gasol.
This argument is so bad Epip and you know it. Come on, you're better than that.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #13534
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
I think you guys are all misinformed or don't watch the games.
This is basically what I suspected. For a while I couldn't believe that anyone could be so arrogant, but I guess you are. You really think that all of us huge basketball fans are just ignorant when it comes to these issues and you're 100% right. That, EPeen, is why its impossible to argue with you. Because you give our opinions no respect and just think that you know it all.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #13535
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
This might be the worst logic in the entire thread.
All I am saying is someone who knows basketball and watches every single game of a player in a year can say more accurately than stats can how good that player was on defense....do you agree or disagree with this?
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #13536
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
This is basically what I suspected. For a while I couldn't believe that anyone could be so arrogant, but I guess you are. You really think that all of us huge basketball fans are just ignorant when it comes to these issues and you're 100% right. That, EPeen, is why its impossible to argue with you. Because you give our opinions no respect and just think that you know it all.
I never said this at all, I just said on a few subjects you guys are ignorant like when you and others gave KG the credit for Perkins improved defense over the fact Perkins drastically improved his mobility and 1v1 man defense.

Notice how there have been like only 5 times posting on here where I was in the overwelming minority, I agree with almost all of the things the majority says on this forum.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #13537
TheQuietAnarchist
Formerly xorbie
 
TheQuietAnarchist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 22,826
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Wait, seriously, how are there 50 posts between the last time someone said "ok we are down arguing with epip now" and all 50 posts are people arguing with epip about no longer arguing with epip?

Just.
Stop.
Posting.
TheQuietAnarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #13538
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,034
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
All I am saying is someone who knows basketball and watches every single game of a player in a year can say more accurately than stats can how good that player was on defense....do you agree or disagree with this?
But then you also haven't seen many players who have retired games then you use commentators as paramount. You play every side.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #13539
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

For a change of pace, what does everyone think of Rodney Rodgers? I commented on him earlier, but not much else was said.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #13540
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

boy this thread gets super gay sometimes
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #13541
tdarko
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tdarko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,183
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

This thread sucks. Take all the stars away.
tdarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #13542
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
All I am saying is someone who knows basketball and watches every single game of a player in a year can say more accurately than stats can how good that player was on defense....do you agree or disagree with this?
That is most definitely not "all you are saying." You said:


"But Assani has stats that accurately show how good/bad someones pick and roll defense and 1v1 man defense are which are easily more effective than watching the games."

edited to add: And so you'd admit that a guy like Seadood who has seen McHale play is much more qualified to comment on his, correct?
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #13543
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,792
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

for some reason i always like rodney as a kid.
Victor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #13544
Anacardo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anacardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: documents on fiiiile!
Posts: 20,543
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdarko View Post
This thread sucks. Take all the stars away.
Buncha dudes psychologically incapable of giving up on an argument / letting something slide + the slightest hint of controversy = BONANZA imo

I hope this thread gets un-ruined again soon! I'm such a fanboi.
Anacardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #13545
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Honestly this thread is probably just going to get worse until the draft ends and overall discussion of teams begins.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #13546
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
For a change of pace, what does everyone think of Rodney Rodgers? I commented on him earlier, but not much else was said.
Its pretty unspectacular imo, but I get the feeling I'm saying that about every pick now. There are a few diamonds in the rough left, but I don't feel as if this was one. But if he feels as if Rogers fits with his team then its ok I guess.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #13547
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

My fault everyone. I tried to stop once, but Epeen pulled me back into the argument by playing the "You're just not arguing with me anymore becuase you know you're wrong" card. I won't let it happen again.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #13548
NozeCandy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NozeCandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lol goofybawler
Posts: 29,251
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Assani, we aren't upset. Just disappointed.
NozeCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #13549
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Alright I'm going to try to get the thread back to some good discussion by posting my "top ten pick mistakes" later tonight after I'm done playing the poker(or maybe after I go to gym after I play the poker). This won't be the usual list of bad picks; Rather it'll take into account your entire team and the team you could've had if you changed a pick or two. Eh....or maybe I'll just look at every team and examine some of the "could've beens" with different picks instead of doing an actual top 10...we'll see. Either way, hopefully it'll generate some good discussion.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #13550
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Alright I'm going to try to get the thread back to some good discussion by posting my "top ten pick mistakes" later tonight after I'm done playing the poker(or maybe after I go to gym after I play the poker). This won't be the usual list of bad picks; Rather it'll take into account your entire team and the team you could've had if you changed a pick or two. Eh....or maybe I'll just look at every team and examine some of the "could've beens" with different picks instead of doing an actual top 10...we'll see. Either way, hopefully it'll generate some good discussion.
This should be interesting. If I'm on that list, I'm going to breath fire that will make Epips blasts pale in comparison.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive