Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #10451
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty View Post
Great. So I guess once we all decide to focus our coaching staffs on passing, does that mean every team is equally awesome at it? I mean, what's stopping us all from doing that.
exactly.

You can't make these "my coaching will improve this area" claims(unless that coach is known as an expert in that area) because otherwise we all would and our teams would all be flawless.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #10452
KLJ
20k hands/day
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Topeka
Posts: 5,701
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanmail View Post
I heard McHale was also an awesome 3 point shooter, he just never shot them.
let me clarify. even though he never shot them, im going to assume that he could do it at least pretty good.

if not, i'll just hire a shooting coach and he'll be ray allen in no time.

if not, im sure that some crack brained analyst has said at one point in time that he could.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #10453
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
let me clarify. even though he never shot them, im going to assume that he could do it at least pretty good.

if not, i'll just hire a shooting coach and he'll be ray allen in no time.

if not, im sure that some crack brained analyst has said at one point in time that he could.
Obv u guys are tryin to make fun of me, what you don't understand is it's A LOT easier to turn a guy into a willing passer than to have him be able to shoot 3's at a good/awesome clip.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #10454
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Epip is like Cartman from the South Park episode where they're all ninjas.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #10455
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Why dont we just remove coaching? It isn't to late.

All coaching does is create another way for people to make up **** on how their team will be better.

Plus the elite coaches are so much better than the other ones its unfair.

I really don't care, but I do think it should be taken under consideration.

If we do pick coaches I will surely pick a coach to teach Z to shoot 50 footers at a 60% clip. He hasn't done it, but you can't say he isn't capable of it ldo.

Plus I watched an ESPN classic game where a euro guy hit a 50 footer. This is an obvious sign that Z can hit 50 footers. I also read some articles about him being able to hit 50 footers, but don't ask me for the article, just take my word on it and make it fact.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #10456
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post
Why dont we just remove coaching? It isn't to late.

All coaching does is create another way for people to make up **** on how their team will be better.

Plus the elite coaches are so much better than the other ones its unfair.

I really don't care, but I do think it should be taken under consideration.

If we do pick coaches I will surely pick a coach to teach Z to shoot 50 footers at a 60% clip. He hasn't done it, but you can't say he isn't capable of it ldo.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #10457
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

lol
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #10458
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Also if McHale is this "awful passer" that you guys all seem to think he is, then why are his turnovers pretty low for someone who scores as much as he did?

His assist numbers while not amazing, aren't terrible either for a bigman.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #10459
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Obv u guys are tryin to make fun of me, what you don't understand is it's A LOT easier to turn a guy into a willing passer than to have him be able to shoot 3's at a good/awesome clip.
it's not very easy. Just accept the fact you got a ballhog PF but who's damn good at scoring anyway
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #10460
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

TSC definitely has the highest rules broken/post ratio
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #10461
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

He isnt an awful passer, he DOESN'T PASS. He is a blackhole. You aren't getting credit for him being a good passer, because he isn't one.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #10462
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,034
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
it's not very easy. Just accept the fact you got a ballhog PF but who's damn good at scoring anyway
WHAT WHAT WHAT!

GOAT=MCHALE, NO DOUBT.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #10463
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Also if McHale is this "awful passer" that you guys all seem to think he is, then why are his turnovers pretty low for someone who scores as much as he did?

His assist numbers while not amazing, aren't terrible either for a bigman.
you're obv just skewing what people mean when they criticize McHale's ballhogging ways. I'm not quite sure when that turned into "awful", as in, makes dumb passes and throws them no-look one handed all the time.

Plus, the fact he never passes kind of makes it hard to tell how good his passing actually is. His pass/TO ratio might suck a nut.

But the real point is, he's got an AST% of ~10%, which is very low compared to most elite PFs like Malone, Barkley, Duncan, KG, etc. THey're all in the 16-20% range.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #10464
tbach24
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tbach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: @tbach2
Posts: 11,476
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

That Lakers team is EXACTLY how I envision my offense running

edit- with Sabonis walking up the court in case we have to settle into the half-court
tbach24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #10465
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,345
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Also big LOL @ saying Assani's team cannot shoot 3's... DUCY
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #10466
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
you're obv just skewing what people mean when they criticize McHale's ballhogging ways. I'm not quite sure when that turned into "awful", as in, makes dumb passes and throws them no-look one handed all the time.

Plus, the fact he never passes kind of makes it hard to tell how good his passing actually is. His pass/TO ratio might suck a nut.

But the real point is, he's got an AST% of ~10%, which is very low compared to most elite PFs like Malone, Barkley, Duncan, KG, etc. THey're all in the 16-20% range.
lol stats.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #10467
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Passing is for b***hes.

Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #10468
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post
He isnt an awful passer, he DOESN'T PASS. He is a blackhole. You aren't getting credit for him being a good passer, because he isn't one.
Ya well that's my whole point, no coach ever told them they wanted him to pass more so they didn't, and when someone called him out, he followed it up with a 10 assist game.

He is capable of passing and is a team player, so he will do what he is told, it's not like hes a cancer.

And fwiw it's not like I will have him passing a ton, just to pass more than he did with the Celtics. His obvious first job when he gets the ball is to score.

Last edited by EPiPeN11; 06-03-2008 at 10:24 PM.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #10469
tbach24
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tbach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: @tbach2
Posts: 11,476
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

yeah seriously mchale doesnt need stats. TBH he doesnt need to pass either. he doesnt even need teammates. most automatic 2 points in SPORTS.
tbach24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #10470
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 43,034
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Ya well that's my whole point, no coach ever told them they wanted him to pass more so they didn't, and when someone called him out, he followed it up with a 10 assist game.

He is capable of passing and is a team player, so he will do what he is told, it's not like hes a cancer.

And fwiw it's not like I will have him passing a ton, just to pass more than he did with the Celtics. His obvious first job when he gets the ball is to score.
ROFL, come on. Just stop defending the point. It's rediculous.

Last edited by capone0; 06-03-2008 at 10:25 PM.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #10471
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
you're obv just skewing what people mean when they criticize McHale's ballhogging ways. I'm not quite sure when that turned into "awful", as in, makes dumb passes and throws them no-look one handed all the time.

Plus, the fact he never passes kind of makes it hard to tell how good his passing actually is. His pass/TO ratio might suck a nut.

But the real point is, he's got an AST% of ~10%, which is very low compared to most elite PFs like Malone, Barkley, Duncan, KG, etc. THey're all in the 16-20% range.
Yes that's my whole point, he isn't an awful passer like some people are. He just wasn't a willing passer because he was never really told/coached to be one. It's a lot easier to make a player become a willing passer (especially if hes a team player/non cancer like McHale) than to have players improve other aspects of their game.

Like I said, I don't expect to turn him into an elite passer or anything, just to pass a little more, that's all.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #10472
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Please edit your post Epi... too much of that going on as of late.

And that Duncan 3 is so freaking money. That game totally killed all of the hate I had for him.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #10473
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
Please edit your post Epi... too much of that going on as of late.
?
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #10474
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Ya well that's my whole point, no coach ever told them they wanted him to pass more so they didn't, and when **** called him out, he followed it up with a 10 assist game.

He is capable of passing and is a team player, so he will do what he is told, it's not like hes a cancer.

And fwiw it's not like I will have him passing a ton, just to pass more than he did with the Celtics. His obvious first job when he gets the ball is to score.
I know thats your point, but it doesn't make it correct. Just like the argument that McHale wasn't a great rebounder because the Celtics had other great rebounders isn't a good point. His rebounding %'s prove this.

Last edited by Franchise 60; 06-03-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: fixed
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #10475
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,345
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
And that Duncan 3 is so freaking money. That game totally killed all of the hate I had for him.
Such an amazing game. The rest of the playoffs couldn't top the first game heh. Duncan 100% from downtown, easiest 3 points in sports obv.

Last edited by vixticator; 06-03-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: after ADAM VINATIERI OBVIOUSLY
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive