Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #10401
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,345
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
McHale actually could pass pretty well, he just didn't.
lol wut
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #10402
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
huh? Chauncey is a very good penetrator especially off pick and rolls.

I do agree about the passing thing, but Chauncey is a good passer (although not great for a pg), and the rest are all below average passers, but McHale actually could pass pretty well, he just didn't. I plan on getting a coach who preaches team basketball and works on these guys passing.
That excuse is getting old, particularly for someone who's trading away all of their picks.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #10403
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

we all know the 80s Celtics were known for their selfish play and iso-oriented playing style.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #10404
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
but McHale actually could pass pretty well, he just didn't.
What are we basing this on?
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #10405
HighStakesPro
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,949
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

He's going to end up with a like four 9th/10th picks though, so he can draft a coach plus two assistants, hell maybe he could even draft red auerbach if he used two picks combined.
HighStakesPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #10406
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
That excuse is getting old, particularly for someone who's trading away all of their picks.
huh? I will have more 6th-10th round picks than anyone else...I should easily be able to pick up a good coach
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #10407
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
we all know the 80s Celtics were known for their selfish play and iso-oriented playing style.
Dunno if this is a level or not, but what I found amusing was watching Bird and McHale both post up 5 feet apart and call for the ball at the same time in last nights Lakers/Celts game on Espn Classic.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #10408
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I will state my opinion yet again that the coach thing is beyond ******ed. I'm really just treating it as fun.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #10409
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post
What are we basing this on?
His pretty low turnover rate for someone who scores that much, plus the 15+ games i've seen on ESPN classic where he did a good job passing when he actually decided to, plus people never saying McHale was an awful passer, rather that they said McHale just didn't pass a lot, and the fact that pretty much every superstar can be at least an average passer if they want to be ldo
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #10410
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
I only saw him play with the Bulls, so I can't comment on his game from a viewer's prospective, but it looks like the only + to his game is his defense. With a low post player, particularly one that possesses Timmay's attributes, you are going to need spacing out there, and not having multiple 3 point threats will severely limit his effectiveness in the offense. Duncan is a great passer pre-dribble, but he's really not going to have anywhere to go with your current lineup because none of those guys can really shoot. With today's rules, I think he'll see a lot of defenses that cheat his direction, and passing out of those won't be as effective because there is no real penalty for doing so. Longevity-wise, obviously McRae has question marks.

To be honest, I'm puzzled that you didn't follow the blueprint of Duncan's current team. Out of all the players that went in the first 10 picks, I think he was the easiest to build into a better version of his championship squad. The Spurs have been so effective because they utilize Timmay's passing and their great strong-to-weakside ball movement on the perimeter, and there's no way that will happen with this current lineup. I just don't see how they'll be able to manufacture an efficient offense, when healthy.

Obviously your defense is going to be awesome, though.
great defender and efficient offensive player. AK47 has much more range than any big man Duncan has ever played with. Plus Tony Parker doens't really shoot many 3s, but its not like his man is able to sag down and help a ton. As long as guys can hit midrange shots on my team, I think we'll be ok regarding this. I do understand your point though, but I disagree with your comment that his only + is his defense, as I think McCray is a very good all around player.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #10411
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighStakesPro View Post
He's going to end up with a like four 9th/10th picks though, so he can draft a coach plus two assistants, hell maybe he could even draft red auerbach if he used two picks combined.
To be honest I don't even need to draft a coach since McHale was one with the Wolves he can be our player coach!! Ok im kidding.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #10412
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
I will state my opinion yet again that the coach thing is beyond ******ed. I'm really just treating it as fun.
Thinking about it more, can I just name myself as our coach and not have to waste a pick on a coach ldo?
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #10413
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
huh? I will have more 6th-10th round picks than anyone else...I should easily be able to pick up a good coach
unless you do this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Same anyone interested in trading down? I got a 6th and 2 7th rounders for sale
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #10414
MEb
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MEb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 24,705
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by D104 View Post
Moncrief and Natt would still be unpicked, probably.
I would've drafted Moncrief 100% 3rd round if still available and paired him with Jesus for a sick backcourt.
MEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #10415
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
unless you do this....
Yes but so far no one has taken me up on that offer, and obv I wouldn't give up my 6th+both 7th rounders to move up, I was just throwing out what I had avaliable ldo.

I highly doubt i'll move up again, and if I do, I won't pay a huge price or anythin.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #10416
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Basically in comparing my team to the current Spurs:

the current Spurs have 3 point shooters at their SG/SF spots. My team has a 3 point shooter at PG and has a PF who can shoot 3s but even if he doesn't, he is still a much bigger threat to stretch the floor than any PF/C Duncan ever plays with.

Obviously I'm going to look at get at least one big time shooter off my bench too.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #10417
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
great defender and efficient offensive player. AK47 has much more range than any big man Duncan has ever played with. Plus Tony Parker doens't really shoot many 3s, but its not like his man is able to sag down and help a ton. As long as guys can hit midrange shots on my team, I think we'll be ok regarding this. I do understand your point though, but I disagree with your comment that his only + is his defense, as I think McCray is a very good all around player.
Yeah he was actually one of the original "point-forwards" as well, I just didn't think you really needed one of those.

I agree that AK47 has more range than other bigs, but he's still not that consistent, and is often seen running around like a headless chicken on offense.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #10418
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I don't think you want AK roaming the perimeter for 3pt opportunities. Do what you want but it's hard to say whether his 3pt% this year was just variance or not (compared to '05-'06, he shot one less and hit 8 more.. that could definitely just be variance). He's best served playing inside.

And D-Harp ain't THAT great at 3s.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #10419
Quicksilvre
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Quicksilvre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Posts: 18,841
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Assani,

What is up with the picture you put for Rodney McCray??
Quicksilvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #10420
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Yes but so far no one has taken me up on that offer, and obv I wouldn't give up my 6th+both 7th rounders to move up, I was just throwing out what I had avaliable ldo.

I highly doubt i'll move up again, and if I do, I won't pay a huge price or anythin.
Come on Epipen, we all know that you're going to have 4 10th rounders after it's all said and done
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #10421
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadood228 View Post
Come on Epipen, we all know that you're going to have 4 10th rounders after it's all said and done
true that i'm already halfway there
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #10422
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Basically in comparing my team to the current Spurs:

the current Spurs have 3 point shooters at their SG/SF spots. My team has a 3 point shooter at PG and has a PF who can shoot 3s but even if he doesn't, he is still a much bigger threat to stretch the floor than any PF/C Duncan ever plays with.

Obviously I'm going to look at get at least one big time shooter off my bench too.
Come on Assani, I know you are one of the most knowledgeable posters here, but dare I say it... I don't have to.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #10423
flyingmoose
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,224
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I like the Butler pick a lot and in my opinion that team is the best 5-man roster right now.

Deng I think was decent value but I agree with Seadood that I can't quite visualize how the offense is going to run.
flyingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #10424
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmoose View Post
I like the Butler pick a lot and in my opinion that team is the best 5-man roster right now.

Deng I think was decent value but I agree with Seadood that I can't quite visualize how the offense is going to run.
through the post with McHale, off pick and rolls with Billups or postups with Billups, or through Deng/Martin ldo

I plan on having Martin come off my bench anyway as instant offense and will have at least 2 of McHale/Billups/Martin/Deng on the floor at all times.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #10425
cowboy2579
adept
 
cowboy2579's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 2+2 obv
Posts: 1,104
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
To be honest I don't even need to draft a coach since McHale was one with the Wolves he can be our player coach!! Ok im kidding.
Please. You know before this is all said and done you will be claiming that McHale was one of the greatest basketball strategists of this or any generation, and if he just hadn't signed Joe Smith to an under the table deal, he would be regarded as the greatest GM of all time.
cowboy2579 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive