Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

06-02-2008 , 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D104 Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done

The thing about MEB's team is that you have Kiki, who fell off @ 29
fluke injury, had some pretty solid later years despite it.

Quote:
& Elton, who just had a big knee injury @ 28.
fluke injury, wasn't a knee, and he looked strong in his brief return at the end of the season.

Mahorn playing into his 30s may not be the biggest deal, but man his prime actually matches up perfectly with Brand and Kiki.
06-02-2008 , 08:20 PM
Also, really we're at the point where you can find faults with anybody who is gonna be picked. They're just aren't all-around spectacular players left at this point, so you pick players that fit well into your team, and Mahorn is a great fit here imo.
06-02-2008 , 08:36 PM
GKA takes Kenyon Martin
06-02-2008 , 08:38 PM
Kenyon Martin is Stackhouse bad. I can't believe how inefficient he is, considering all the oops Kidd fed him.

Or maybe it's just the really awful FT shooting.

edit: at least you got a solid defender before the double microfractures
06-02-2008 , 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbach24 Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
GKA takes Kenyon Martin
Funny, when he was asking for a "dunker to receive lobs from Dre etc," that's the first guy that came to mind.

ok after tom chambers.
06-02-2008 , 08:39 PM
The other day I thought to myself "why hasn't Kenyon Martin been taken?" Then I looked at his stats. Couldn't shoot for **** even with Jason Kidd.
06-02-2008 , 08:39 PM
FWIW I was hesitant at first because of injury issues. But K-Mart has always been solid offensively (will be great on the fast break because of Andre Miller and will be able to function in the half court because PP, Gasol and Miller are all very high IQ players who will be able to get him good looks). But that's not what I like most. He was a good rebounder and a beast defensively.
06-02-2008 , 08:40 PM
Yeah maybe not solid, but I don't think it will be highlighted that much because PFs who can shoot is more of a luxury than a necessity (although these days that's becoming less so).
06-02-2008 , 08:46 PM
It's not so much that he can't shoot, I think it's more a function of him shooting too much for someone that is so inconsistent.

With that said, his TS #s were decent this last year without a great passing team. Still, I've seen enough Nugs games to know that he can be an offensive "less than zero" if you just leave him open. For a guy that has been in the league a long time, I still don't think he's figured out that he probably shouldn't shoot whenever he's open.

I think I like the pick, because defensively he's amazing and very versatile. He can guard 2-5 effectively, and provides great weak-side help. I think you can argue that a team like this one, who excels in passing, is the best fit for him.
06-02-2008 , 08:52 PM
If everyone on his team were always healthy, I think flyingmoose's team would be a really good dark horse. But given that everyone besides Isiah seems to be a pretty significant injury risk year in and year out, I bet this team would have a tough time putting together a full season.
06-02-2008 , 08:52 PM
Like the pick, scouting Lamarcus.....dammit.
06-02-2008 , 08:53 PM
Interesting pick with LMA. At first glance I think that I like it.

Neither of his bigs are going to be high efficiency guys, but at first glance they seem to compliment each-other's games quite well. You've got a post up guy and a shooter, and LMA's deficiencies defensively are all but negated by Jermaine.

I still think there is at least one big man I'd have preferred there, but overall this and the last few picks have been good fits, I think.
06-02-2008 , 08:54 PM
Also, props to Tbach for working with GKA on getting his pick up.
06-02-2008 , 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbach24 Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
If everyone on his team were always healthy, I think flyingmoose's team would be a really good dark horse. But given that everyone besides Isiah seems to be a pretty significant injury risk year in and year out, I bet this team would have a tough time putting together a full season.
Isiah has injury issues also fwiw
06-02-2008 , 08:55 PM
LMA is a pretty good fit for that team but I disagree you're going to be all that great defensively. A little below average for this league is probably the best it'll be.
06-02-2008 , 08:58 PM
People need to stop expecting everyone to know who is on their team...






















List your current team at the bottom of your draft posts
06-02-2008 , 08:59 PM
Round 5 Pick 161

PF Juwan Howard






write up coming later

Teams So Far

PG- Jason Terry
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- Josh Smith
PF- Juwan Howard
C- Marcus Camby
06-02-2008 , 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
Isiah has injury issues also fwiw
I mean...he missed half of his 10th season. Other than that he was pretty healthy.

Also, before people were talking about Grandmama as being a big injury risk and I just wanted to point out that he missed 30 games in his 2nd season, but other than that only missed more than 12 games in his final season and played 81+ 4 times in 10 seasons.
06-02-2008 , 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbach24 Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
I mean...he missed half of his 10th season. Other than that he was pretty healthy.

Also, before people were talking about Grandmama as being a big injury risk and I just wanted to point out that he missed 30 games in his 2nd season, but other than that only missed more than 12 games in his final season and played 81+ 4 times in 10 seasons.
Ok well he just fell off the map then at a pretty early age.

Same with LJ
06-02-2008 , 09:00 PM
Is it possible the Jordan team is worse than the other two? Eh, prob not... but I don't really like it.
06-02-2008 , 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbenhoe Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
Also, really we're at the point where you can find faults with anybody who is gonna be picked. They're just aren't all-around spectacular players left at this point, so you pick players that fit well into your team, and Mahorn is a great fit here imo.
I agree with all of this FWIW, and don't dispute that Mahorn is a nice fit. I just think the better value/pick was @ PG.

Also, regarding Kiki/Brand - I agree that both were freak-ish injuries that may not happen in the fantasy season, but it is what it is. I think your team's peak years will be from 24-29, which diminished Mahorn's value for your team, IMO, and would allow you to pick from a variety of players in the 5th round that had Mahorn's stats during the 24-29 age range, just without his longevity into his 30s.

Don't get me wrong, its not a bad pick, just unspectacular.

D
06-02-2008 , 09:02 PM
really don't like the way this Jordan team is shaping out. Juwan is terrible. Didn't like the J-Smoove pick. Thought Terry was great, though.
06-02-2008 , 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbie Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
LMA is a pretty good fit for that team but I disagree you're going to be all that great defensively. A little below average for this league is probably the best it'll be.
JOneal is a very prolific defender. Isiah was also very good. Roy and Jefferson are both solid. Lamarcus is the only real weak spot IMO. This team on defense will be better than AC-Cobra's if healthy (HUGE IF).
06-02-2008 , 09:02 PM
Josh Smith, Marcus, and big JHow sure do shoot an awful lot for being so inefficient. I think that MJ better not pass the ball like, ever.
06-02-2008 , 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcolin Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion - Let's Get'er Done
really don't like the way this Jordan team is shaping out. Juwan is terrible. Didn't like the J-Smoove pick. Thought Terry was great, though.
Juwan was the worst. Terry is a good compliment to Jordan, but Jordan doesn't really need a compliment IMO. I thought someone to facilitate and run the fast break would've been great for him at the PG.

Edit- not really the worst, it's just the parlance of our times.

      
m