Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #926
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Steroid boy, whats your definition of a soft player versus a finesse player?
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #927
Ashy Knuckles
grinder
 
Ashy Knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: right here
Posts: 486
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

on my team dirk is coming off the bench and standing at the 3 point line. maybe leading the 2nd unit.

seadood: what part was ludicrous ?? the dirk carrying isiah's bad or the image of dirk getting close lined driving the lane and him folding up ???

i just dont think dirk would be efficent after say maurice lucas banged him for a bit. i just see him standing out at the 3 point line.

if bruce bowen can bang dirk and take him out his game, i would sic maurice lucas on dirk and not have to worry about him anymore... lol..lol... the picture of that cracks me up.
Ashy Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #928
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy Knuckles View Post
if bruce bowen can bang dirk and take him out his game, i would sic maurice lucas on dirk and not have to worry about him anymore... lol..lol... the picture of that cracks me up.
In games Dirk and Bruce Bowen have played head to head, Dirk averaged 24/10.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #929
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Ashy Knuckles, for the love of God stop posting.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #930
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

soft players cant handle adversity. dirk choked at the foul line in game 3 of the finals which virtually would have ended the series
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #931
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

so his career playoff average of 25 and 11 means nothing?
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #932
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy Knuckles View Post
on my team dirk is coming off the bench and standing at the 3 point line. maybe leading the 2nd unit.
ok. your team would suck then.

Quote:
seadood: what part was ludicrous ?? the dirk carrying isiah's bad or the image of dirk getting close lined driving the lane and him folding up ???
For starters, the part that implies toughness has anything to do with putting the ball in the basket, or keeping it from going in.

Quote:
i just dont think dirk would be efficent after say maurice lucas banged him for a bit. i just see him standing out at the 3 point line.
Yeah it would suck to have a 38% 3pt shooter taking shots from the 3 point line, against big men who won't play out that far, or against guys he can shoot over. That's much worse than having a guy like Isiah thomas shoot 2 pointers at a 45% clip, and still manage to maintain being "tough" in the process.
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #933
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steroid Boy View Post
soft players cant handle adversity. dirk choked at the foul line in game 3 of the finals which virtually would have ended the series
Game 7 WCF. I think I win.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #934
Ashy Knuckles
grinder
 
Ashy Knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: right here
Posts: 486
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

you all build your team based on stats and i will build a team thats going to win the game.

i dont need to look at stats i have been following the league i saw the players, critically analyzed them and know their strengths and weaknesses.

for example.. dirk: strengths... great shooter, out of worldly for a 7 footer, great agility, especially for a 7 footer, great free throw shooter, difficult to match up against.

weaknesses... defense... does not like physical contact, internal fortitude of the greatest players has not been displayed....

can dirk take over the game against the greatest players since 79 in the most pressure packed of situations ?? nothing so far says yes..

i just feel like i can put a team together that will neutralize dirk and i guess i need to know what the nba rules are in the league ... better for me if its the old rules (where you could actually play d) or todays rules that are driven by fans wanting to see a 120-125 game) then we can bang dirk and reduce his effectiveness.
Ashy Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #935
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Arcades View Post
Game 7 WCF. I think I win.
No, the rule of calling a player soft states that you can only use their bad games as evidence and have to ignore their truly great games, no matter how many they have.
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #936
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy Knuckles View Post
internal fortitude of the greatest players has not been displayed....

can dirk take over the game against the greatest players since 79 in the most pressure packed of situations ?? nothing so far says yes..
I guess it easy argue against stats when you use qualifications which are virtually immeasurable, such as fortitude.

As to the second point, WCF game 7.
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #937
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

You're gonna tell me defenses were awesome back then? In 1980 the San Antonio Spurs scored 119 points per game. Dirk would destroy people then. Nobody knew how to guard a 7 footer who could shoot 3s. Hell, nobody could even shoot 3s then! The Celtics were the only team who even shot better than 33% on 3s, and they only took about 400 of them.

Teams played extremely fast. The average team got 103 possessions per game. The slowest team in the league still got 10 more possessions than the Mavericks did this year! Dirk was made to play in those leagues against those players, he would absolutely wreck the league.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #938
Seadood228
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Seadood228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rossmoor, CA
Posts: 30,306
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtemp View Post
I guess it easy argue against stats when you use qualifications which are virtually immeasurable, such as fortitude.

As to the second point, WCF game 7.
Come on now, toughness and intestinal fortitude are what it takes to win.

Here's an analogy:

dtemp(and JOA, myself, etc) : Hollinger
Ashyknuckles : Steven A
Seadood228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #939
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Would Jordan's famous game with a stomach virus be an argument for or against intestinal fortitude?
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #940
Ashy Knuckles
grinder
 
Ashy Knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: right here
Posts: 486
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

if you question if toughness has anything to do with putting the ball in the basket i direct you to ... scottie pippen.... 7th game of the eastern conference finals against detroit he scores 2 points bulls lose by about 5, claimed a migrane headache.

detroit knew they had to bang scottie to beat the bulls, take him out of the game... first few years .. bulls could not beat detroit because the clothes lines, elbows etc effected scotties game. it was apparent that scottie did not like the physical play.

ONLY when scottie was able to get off the floor and keep going to the basket = toughening up were the bulls able to beat detroit.. when he would not allow detroit to intimidate him any longer = being tough...ONLY THEN were the bulls able to dethrone the pistons and the rest is history.

i would think if you are building fantasy teams that toughness would be a very important criteria. you better believe that if these teams we are building actually played on the court that would be one of the 1st things that they found out about each other and what do you think would happen to the players that shied away from or reacted negatively to physical contact ??? i will tell you they would be sitting on the bench and eventually get ran out of the league because everyone would be testing their manhood on a daily basis.

internal fortitude=toughness is as important of a criteria to be great as anything else if not more so.
Ashy Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #941
Ashy Knuckles
grinder
 
Ashy Knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: right here
Posts: 486
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

dont get me wrong dirk is a very good player. build your team around him vs the best players since 79 ... i dont see him leading the team (which he would have to do) to a championship.

he cant even lead the mavericks to the championship against the heat when it was basically sewn up.

finally, my opinion of players are swayed heavily by what they did when the pressure was the greatest. its a big difference sinking a 3 vs sinking a 3 when its the most important shot you ever took in your life.
Ashy Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #942
Ashy Knuckles
grinder
 
Ashy Knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: right here
Posts: 486
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Jack:

can you tell me what happened to the 1980 spurs in the playoffs ??? did they make the playoffs ???


when i think of fantasy team.. i think of winning the playoffs
Ashy Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #943
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy Knuckles View Post
if you question if toughness has anything to do with putting the ball in the basket i direct you to ... scottie pippen.... 7th game of the eastern conference finals against detroit he scores 2 points bulls lose by about 5, claimed a migrane headache.

detroit knew they had to bang scottie to beat the bulls, take him out of the game... first few years .. bulls could not beat detroit because the clothes lines, elbows etc effected scotties game. it was apparent that scottie did not like the physical play.

ONLY when scottie was able to get off the floor and keep going to the basket = toughening up were the bulls able to beat detroit.. when he would not allow detroit to intimidate him any longer = being tough...ONLY THEN were the bulls able to dethrone the pistons and the rest is history.

i would think if you are building fantasy teams that toughness would be a very important criteria. you better believe that if these teams we are building actually played on the court that would be one of the 1st things that they found out about each other and what do you think would happen to the players that shied away from or reacted negatively to physical contact ??? i will tell you they would be sitting on the bench and eventually get ran out of the league because everyone would be testing their manhood on a daily basis.

internal fortitude=toughness is as important of a criteria to be great as anything else if not more so.
Outside of Shaq and professional wrestlers, what player can withstand clothelines? Not to mention the kicking and tripping in the lane. FWIW, even Jordan struggled against the Pistons and no one would ever doubt his "toughness". Quite simply, most any player would struggle against the bad boys. They played a game that was very smart defensively and very physical, some times to the point of being just plain dirty. When the bulls finally made it past them it had more to do with the pistons decline than the bulls players getting tougher. Thomas was injured (wrist) and their players were getting old.

Again, internal fortitude is pretty hard to judge without getting in a person's head. Though I can see some argument for a player who is willing to constantly go up against a person who is constantly harassing him. But that doesn't necessarily make it the wiser move.
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #944
tdarko
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tdarko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,183
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

OMG I am chewing on my hand right now. I am trying to stay out of this debate b/c of bias and passion but I can't. Would German Jesus' bff Nash Head strike down these clowns that are seriously calling him soft? No really, rain on their asses.

Do we really need to cite all the injuries he has played through, and played well through carrying his ****k team on his back. Or the lights out performance against Pho to get to the 06 WCF--hell the whole series--then the WCF ldo. He was also one of 2 guys to lace up his sneakers this year. He is a bonafide bad ass, tough as ****ing nails. This soft bull**** has to stop, some of you just don't like him--hell I ****ing hate Manu for his flopping, that doesn't make him soft, guy is an assassin (hard to say, ugh). Misses a ft and now he's soft, lol, give me a ****ing break...nice sample size. Why don't you use the GS series too where he was doubled every time he touched the ball and could do nothing the entire series and was forced to force **** b/c his team sucked and they were the quitters (sans Stack that year). complete lol at some people in this thread.
tdarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #945
Green Kool Aid
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Green Kool Aid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,901
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

According to basketballreference, guys who have led the league in PER twice since 1980...

Dirk
KG
Shaq
David Robinson
Jordan
Bird
Moses Malone

Pretty good company for Dirk, even if you don't like PER. Great pick.
Green Kool Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #946
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy Knuckles View Post
Jack:

can you tell me what happened to the 1980 spurs in the playoffs ??? did they make the playoffs ???


when i think of fantasy team.. i think of winning the playoffs
Let's talk about the Champion 1980 LA Lakers. How many points per game do you think they gave up? Did you guess 109?

That team had 15 more possessions per game than the Hornets, Spurs, Mavs, Celtics, etc. The game is extremely slow now. The Suns, Warriors, and Nuggets would all be one of the slowest teams in the league.

Teams really have to work to create good shots. Teams are taking 10% less shots than in 1980 and doing so at a pretty similar efficiency. It's harder to get open shots in the NBA today.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #947
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Kool Aid View Post
According to basketballreference, guys who have led the league in PER twice since 1980...

Dirk
KG
Shaq
David Robinson
Jordan
Bird
Moses Malone

Pretty good company for Dirk, even if you don't like PER. Great pick.
He's also lead the league in WSAA twice, which puts him in the comapny of... all those guys you mentioned + Duncan and Karl Malone.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #948
dtemp
veteran
 
dtemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,395
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashy Knuckles View Post

when i think of fantasy team.. i think of winning the playoffs
So clearly, the players who chose Malone, Stockton, and Barkely ahead of Thomas were wrong? No room for discussion?
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #949
Green Kool Aid
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Green Kool Aid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,901
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

Dirk >>> Isiah
Green Kool Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #950
ClarkNasty
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ClarkNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 10x the man Clarkmeister is
Posts: 35,385
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion Thread

I think Dirk's an ok pick there.
ClarkNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive