Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #8176
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Fairly important rules clarification here which I was just asked in a PM:

If a player entered the league before age 24, missed their entire age 24 season due to injury/playing in a different league/personal issues/etc., and then came back later then you get him at the age in which he came back to the league. In other words, say that a player played from ages 21-23, but then didn't play again until age 26...you would get him at 26. You would not have to have an empty roster spot for 2 years before getting him.

Sorry for not clarifying this earlier. If anyone disputes this decision then I am willing to discuss it, but I think its majorly unfair to make a team have to get an empty roster spot for a few years.
Just to further clarify....

Say that the player misses his age 24 season, and doens't come back until age 27 in which he plays a part of that season, and then comes back at age 28 fully. Your first season with him would be his partial season when he first came back.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #8177
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

smith grew up looking at MJ, his hawks teams have no real leaders and woodson is a lol coach so hes never really had much guidance on a team, plus he came right out of high school and hes only 23
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #8178
tbach24
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tbach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: @tbach2
Posts: 11,476
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARK DOCTOR View Post
I dont care about it - mainly becuz it just happened and its Smits - and i dont know - i just dont care - but I dont like what this can turn into...I dont want others to use this excuse to redo their bad picks.
QFT. IMO the way to solve this (although it would suck) would be to give a grace period (would prob. have to be 24 hours) where we'd be like "Here's the rule interpretation, if that changes your pick then PM Assani and we'll figure it out from there." Or just give it to Franchise because he brought it up.
tbach24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #8179
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Assani:

If a guy gets hurt at 23 (misses like 90 percent of of the season), misses all of 24, comes back for 20 games at 25 and is shut down, and then comes back for the last 60 games of year 26 I'd get him at age 26?
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #8180
tbach24
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tbach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: @tbach2
Posts: 11,476
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steroid Boy View Post
smith grew up looking at MJ, his hawks teams have no real leaders and woodson is a lol coach so hes never really had much guidance on a team, plus he came right out of high school and hes only 23
He'll hopefully get smarter with age, so this pick (and your team) could look good down the road (depending on interpretation). Just I don't think your team will pay immediate dividends.
tbach24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #8181
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I know who franchise wants.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #8182
KLJ
20k hands/day
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Topeka
Posts: 5,701
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

i think give it to franchise, if anybody else had cared, they should/would have brought it up. i actually feel like i remember seeing this occurrence now, but cant remember who it was
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #8183
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_exel_fan View Post
It's funny, at the beginning of this we all kind of knew that MJ's team would inevitably win. I am not sure that there is a worse team out there than Mike's so far...(excluding mike obv imo)

Edit: Bynum's team worse, Horford's
huh?
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #8184
KLJ
20k hands/day
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Topeka
Posts: 5,701
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post
Assani:

If a guy gets hurt at 23 (misses like 90 percent of of the season), misses all of 24, comes back for 20 games at 25 and is shut down, and then comes back for the last 60 games of year 26 I'd get him at age 26?
25
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #8185
KLJ
20k hands/day
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Topeka
Posts: 5,701
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Arcades View Post
I know who franchise wants.
can you PM me?

if you PM me, i hereby waive my right to participate further in the discussion regarding this matter (my pre-PM opinion stands, and i can/will not change it). i also waive my ability to trade up to get this player (I don't pick for 2 more full rounds).
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #8186
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise 60 View Post
Assani:

If a guy gets hurt at 23 (misses like 90 percent of of the season), misses all of 24, comes back for 20 games at 25 and is shut down, and then comes back for the last 60 games of year 26 I'd get him at age 26?
No. You'd get him at age 25 when he plays 20 games. Sorry for this somewhat arbitrary ruling, but I'm trying to decide whats most fair(obviously we have to "punish" these players somehow for missing games, but at the same time I don't want anyone to have to have a player miss their entire first season or even longer).

If anyone really disagrees with my ruling then speak up now. Once a player is picked that this ruling affects then I'm not going to change it as that would've obviously changed the draft.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #8187
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

round 3 wrap up will be tomorrow. Just got very tired and heading to bed soon. 9:30 i'm like a ****ing grandpa.
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #8188
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

btw I'm shocked that so many people don't know who we're tlaking about. I thought it'd be obvious.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #8189
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Am I going to get the credit for his recovery? I mean if people are going to argue he may never come back I'd rather just pass.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #8190
tbach24
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tbach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: @tbach2
Posts: 11,476
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Well injuries aren't constant between IRL and this so it doesn't really matter when he was injured. It just matters how injury prone he was IMO.
tbach24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #8191
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 72,764
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

since we were spoiled by so many picks, we didnt do a whole lot of analysis. franchise said he may change his pick or some weird thing like that, so i'll leave him out, and naturally, i cant value my own team. the current 3 man teams that have filled out:

Steroid Boy - MJ, Camby, J Smoove
Fadi - B Miller, Peja, Clyde
Horizon - Team bus driver, Horace, Lebron
Ruffneck - Magic Hot Rod Redd
KC - Cassell, Bird, Divac

I'm not so sure I like Steroid's boy team. Granted he traded down and he has a pick coming up, but I actually think he has a soft 4/5. Neither Josh Smith or Camby is a great post defender (1on1) both are just superb help/weakside. With weaker guards help defense becomes more crucial, but you have one of the best (if not the best) perimeter defenders as well. I think you'll be ok rebounding wise, as well. Offensively though, MJ will give you 30 or so, but who else is going to score? JSmoove is a horribly inefficient shooter. (101 offensive rating, lol) The big problem is he takes too many shots at a poor %. If he had a good passer to find him in transition, (his biggest strength) than I will like this team alot. (Bc you guys would block so many shots it would start you guys runnnning) I just think there were so many options that would look great next to MJ, and Jsmoove is not one of them.

Fadi's lineup is starting to come together. Offensively it looks like he can run his offense from the inside out, and just find open shooters. But I wont speculate too much on that front, I'll only say offense is fine and looking dandy. Defensively, with both Clyde and Peja on the floor, HERE is where a help defender would help. Put Camby or Jsmoove there, and all the mistakes / getting blown by would funnel them into the big guy. Although Brad Miller is not a bad defender, and he's actually quite solid, it's that he's actually a better 1on1 guy than help. Mainly bc he's pretty big and relatively slow to rotate to block and so forth. That extra weight/muscle helps him not get pushed out of the paint but prevents him from helping contest when wingmen blow by Peja and Clyde (which will def. happen)

Drazen Petrovic was a guy I was looking to steal in the 5th round. No idea I wouldn't even have the option of selecting him in the 3rd! I guess more people knew about him than just me. Great scorer, and the type of guy that will work so well with LBJ. I think Horizon has one of the ODDEST teams, but looks like one of the BETTER ones. And he has the next pick, to boot.

I put "magic hot rod redd" together bc it sounded funny all at once. I dont want to belabor this, as others have mentioned, but with Magic you have so many possibilities. Didn't expect these next 2 guys to be paired with him. Could hot rod run the floor? What I know is he's a solid dude who will play both ends slightly above average.. Not much else. This is where someone could help me out, as he wasnt even on my radar screen.

Finally, Cassell/Divc/Bird looks like a team that has serious clutch factor. I'm disappointed KC went away from the all-white team, especially as there were some good white dudes around, but disappointment aside, this looks like a very SMART team. All three of these defenders were not physically gifted, but rather had high BBall IQs. That will count for something. That said, it looks like neither a fast or slow paced team, and a team without a true offensive identity.
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #8192
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbach24 View Post
Ehh...Rodman was a different knucklehead. He was turbulent, but never a selfish player like Smith. I mean, your team is still one of the best and obviously you have the best player, I just think I would've gone a different route. Perhaps you have a better gameplan that will evolve down the road though. Your defense is gonna be sick too.
This is why I like his team. MJ almost guarantees that the team will be good offensively both due to his own scoring and opening things up for everyone else. He focused on D. I like his strategy.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #8193
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbach24 View Post
QFT. IMO the way to solve this (although it would suck) would be to give a grace period (would prob. have to be 24 hours) where we'd be like "Here's the rule interpretation, if that changes your pick then PM Assani and we'll figure it out from there." Or just give it to Franchise because he brought it up.
I think anyone who was targetting this player would've asked me the question Franchise did. Nobody else brought it up, so I think its fair to give the pick to Franchise.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #8194
Steroid Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Steroid Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Backpacking Bananas
Posts: 42,156
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

sigh i wanna know who they talking about
Steroid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #8195
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
a team without a true offensive identity.
Larry Bird
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #8196
Franchise 60
deliciously angry
 
Franchise 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ferocious, isn't he?
Posts: 42,744
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I think I'm more confused now on what to do then when I first asked Assani lol.

Will he be judged as recovered after I pay the injury price of losing him for the year? Or will I have to deal with the argument his whole career could be over?

Sorry to clog the thread up with this ****, its just complicated as hell.
Franchise 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #8197
KLJ
20k hands/day
 
KLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Topeka
Posts: 5,701
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

i would love to answer your question, but i have waived my right to discussion

i realized who it was (and was editing my waiver) just as JoA PMed me. i will PM you about how i think others will respond
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #8198
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobboFitos View Post
since we were spoiled by so many picks, we didnt do a whole lot of analysis. franchise said he may change his pick or some weird thing like that, so i'll leave him out, and naturally, i cant value my own team. the current 3 man teams that have filled out:

Steroid Boy - MJ, Camby, J Smoove
Fadi - B Miller, Peja, Clyde
Horizon - Team bus driver, Horace, Lebron
Ruffneck - Magic Hot Rod Redd
KC - Cassell, Bird, Divac

I'm not so sure I like Steroid's boy team. Granted he traded down and he has a pick coming up, but I actually think he has a soft 4/5. Neither Josh Smith or Camby is a great post defender (1on1) both are just superb help/weakside. With weaker guards help defense becomes more crucial, but you have one of the best (if not the best) perimeter defenders as well. I think you'll be ok rebounding wise, as well. Offensively though, MJ will give you 30 or so, but who else is going to score? JSmoove is a horribly inefficient shooter. (101 offensive rating, lol) The big problem is he takes too many shots at a poor %. If he had a good passer to find him in transition, (his biggest strength) than I will like this team alot. (Bc you guys would block so many shots it would start you guys runnnning) I just think there were so many options that would look great next to MJ, and Jsmoove is not one of them.

Fadi's lineup is starting to come together. Offensively it looks like he can run his offense from the inside out, and just find open shooters. But I wont speculate too much on that front, I'll only say offense is fine and looking dandy. Defensively, with both Clyde and Peja on the floor, HERE is where a help defender would help. Put Camby or Jsmoove there, and all the mistakes / getting blown by would funnel them into the big guy. Although Brad Miller is not a bad defender, and he's actually quite solid, it's that he's actually a better 1on1 guy than help. Mainly bc he's pretty big and relatively slow to rotate to block and so forth. That extra weight/muscle helps him not get pushed out of the paint but prevents him from helping contest when wingmen blow by Peja and Clyde (which will def. happen)

Drazen Petrovic was a guy I was looking to steal in the 5th round. No idea I wouldn't even have the option of selecting him in the 3rd! I guess more people knew about him than just me. Great scorer, and the type of guy that will work so well with LBJ. I think Horizon has one of the ODDEST teams, but looks like one of the BETTER ones. And he has the next pick, to boot.

I put "magic hot rod redd" together bc it sounded funny all at once. I dont want to belabor this, as others have mentioned, but with Magic you have so many possibilities. Didn't expect these next 2 guys to be paired with him. Could hot rod run the floor? What I know is he's a solid dude who will play both ends slightly above average.. Not much else. This is where someone could help me out, as he wasnt even on my radar screen.

Finally, Cassell/Divc/Bird looks like a team that has serious clutch factor. I'm disappointed KC went away from the all-white team, especially as there were some good white dudes around, but disappointment aside, this looks like a very SMART team. All three of these defenders were not physically gifted, but rather had high BBall IQs. That will count for something. That said, it looks like neither a fast or slow paced team, and a team without a true offensive identity.
good write ups. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on my team after my next pick.


Also, J Smith would've be great with Magic's team if SB didn't take him.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #8199
BobboFitos
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BobboFitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 72,764
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I personally would view it as something that could cause severe problems in the future. The fact that it hasnt really is a minor miracle and a testament to that particular player. The option of redrafting makes perfect sense. Cool spot here.
BobboFitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #8200
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,252
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

I just figured out who this player is, and what an interesting player in this format. I say let him change his pick, it's not like Smits was universally hated or anything and it would have no effect on Bobbo's pick.
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive