Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #7901
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

btw is FaDi around?
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #7902
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Drazen had a history of being unhappy with his role and situation though. From wiki:

Self-admittedly, Petrović needed new challenges, which Cibona and the Yugoslavian league could not offer. Across the Atlantic, the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA had already used their third round pick on young Petrović in 1986. However, he decided to postpone his departure to the United States and in 1988 signed with Real Madrid instead, for at that time a hefty sum of around US$ 4 million


The beginning of the 1990-1991 season brought Petrović's frustration to a climax, as his playing time dropped to 7 minutes a game.[13] At his insistence, 38 games into the season (in 20 of which Petrović didn't see any playing time), a three-way trade with the Denver Nuggets sent him to the New Jersey Nets in exchange for a first-round pick in the following draft

He was contemplating departure from the Nets, disappointed with tension between himself and, to his belief, envious teammates, as well as the fact that the Nets had not yet extended his contract. He told American reporters that the lack of recognition in the league had him also considering leaving the NBA completely and playing club basketball in Greece.
Ok this has nothing to do with the fact that he died...Drazen's real beef was with the Nets not extending his contract (which i'm sure horizon will have no problem doing).
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #7903
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

There are 76 players who from 79-80 played in 540 games in their ages 24 to 30 season. That's about 77 games a year. That's pretty good, we're talking about missing a total of 22 games over that span. Some of them aren't eligible, but you're gonna have a lot of 2s and 3s on that scale.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #7904
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,790
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

if u want to get technical, i said that standing around and shooting or passing is all i have ever seen him do. obv i havent watched a ton of jazz, esp 3-4 years ago. watched a lot more the last few years.

and his 14 and 17 per arent exactly killer. thats the ak ive seen.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #7905
NopairParker
old hand
 
NopairParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Little Armenia
Posts: 1,386
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

so when am i picking again ?
NopairParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #7906
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon View Post
His per 36 minutes are very similar during his four nba years. Lack of playing time his due to anti euro bias at the time and playing behind Drexler.
I feel as if I'm arguing against Drazen a lot here, and I really don't dislike the pick at all so please don't take my criticisms to mean that. With that said...

In the season in which Drazen got traded, he was getting less playing time than Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, and EDITED OUT. In fact, there was no wing player on the entire roster who got less minutes per game than him......so I don't think you can just say that he wasn't playing because of Drexler being on the team.

Last edited by Assani Fisher; 05-27-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #7907
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Ok this has nothing to do with the fact that he died...Drazen's real beef was with the Nets not extending his contract (which i'm sure horizon will have no problem doing).
I edited in another line about the car crash.

Also I think it has a lot to do with it.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #7908
Jack of Arcades
Jumbo Jack
 
Jack of Arcades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bastion
Posts: 23,569
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

assani, put a % on the chances.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #7909
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
if u want to get technical, i said that standing around and shooting or passing is all i have ever seen him do. obv i havent watched a ton of jazz, esp 3-4 years ago. watched a lot more the last few years.

and his 14 and 17 per arent exactly killer. thats the ak ive seen.
Ok, I thought you were obviously implying thats all he could do. I agree with you that thats all you have seen him do due to your lack of having watched him.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #7910
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
I edited in another line about the car crash.

Also I think it has a lot to do with it.
So why couldn't a team bus suffer the same fate that Drazen's car did? Or why couldn't a team plane crash etc? You also don't think NBA players drive on the highway ever?
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #7911
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NopairParker View Post
so when am i picking again ?
seriously? Its not hard to find out man.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #7912
NopairParker
old hand
 
NopairParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Little Armenia
Posts: 1,386
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Someone told me I got skipped or penalized for not being here during mem weekend and not picking for a while
NopairParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #7913
horizon
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,501
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
I feel as if I'm arguing against Drazen a lot here, and I really don't dislike the pick at all so please don't take my criticisms to mean that. With that said...

In the season in which Drazen got traded, he was getting less playing time than Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Danny Ainge, Walter Davis, and Danny Young. In fact, there was no wing player on the entire roster who got less minutes per game than him......so I don't think you can just say that he wasn't playing because of Drexler being on the team.
Yeah I cited Drexler to show that this team was loaded in the backcourt.(I mean Porter+ Drexler have already been picked, and the others were decent).
I cannot prove it but I feel that the main reason he did not play as a bias agaisnt white european players with no D. There's no way that he's not starting from day on in today's nba.
horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #7914
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
So why couldn't a team bus suffer the same fate that Drazen's car did? Or why couldn't a team plane crash etc? You also don't think NBA players drive on the highway ever?
But now you're ignoring the rest of my post and ONLY looking at the last line....probably my fault for editing it in late, so I don't blame you though....my mistake man.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #7915
fanmail
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fanmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Crown Town
Posts: 32,416
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
This is what you said:

Someone who has played 80-82 games every year for 10+ is WAY MORE durable than someone who plays 80, 60, 50, 80, 70 etc

And I said there were only like 10 guys in this draft like that.

Now you changed your argument to saying there are way more than 10 guys who consistently were healthy but maybe had 1 or 2 seasons with injuries. Of course these players are less likley to get injured than Kevin Martin, but they are not A LOT less likley (A lot less likley would only apply to the people who played 80-82 games every year for 10+ years).
Fair enough, I'm sure there are plenty of other guys who could be just as likely to get hurt as Kevin. He just seems brittle to me though.
fanmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #7916
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
But now you're ignoring the rest of my post and ONLY looking at the last line....probably my fault for editing it in late, so I don't blame you though....my mistake man.
Well I already addressed the rest of ur post I thought, it's cool though.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #7917
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon View Post
Yeah I cited Drexler to show that this team was loaded in the backcourt.(I mean Porter+ Drexler have already been picked, and the others were decent).
I cannot prove it but I feel that the main reason he did not play as a bias agaisnt white european players with no D. There's no way that he's not starting from day on in today's nba.
crap, just realized I was mentioning undrafted players. I edited my post, can you edit my quote out of yours? Sorry guys...
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #7918
EPiPeN11
banned
 
EPiPeN11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: akon is the goat
Posts: 18,605
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanmail View Post
Fair enough, I'm sure there are plenty of other guys who could be just as likely to get hurt as Kevin. He just seems brittle to me though.
Ok, I'm not denying that Martin could get hurt, especially more than durable guys, I just don't think hes injury prone like you guys think he is. Like I said there are a good amount of skinny guys who played long careers (obv I can't name them all since they haven't been drafted).

Also skinny guys who play inside (PF/C) are more likley to get hurt than skinny SG's and PG's.
EPiPeN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #7919
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 65,790
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NopairParker View Post
Someone told me I got skipped or penalized for not being here during mem weekend and not picking for a while
wtf is wrong with u? use this. u didnt miss any picks. u didnt delay anything. u werent penalize.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...RG_QO_r1EoIoaA
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #7920
tolbiny
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,448
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Drazen had a history of being unhappy with his role and situation though. From wiki:

Self-admittedly, Petrović needed new challenges, which Cibona and the Yugoslavian league could not offer. Across the Atlantic, the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA had already used their third round pick on young Petrović in 1986. However, he decided to postpone his departure to the United States and in 1988 signed with Real Madrid instead, for at that time a hefty sum of around US$ 4 million


The beginning of the 1990-1991 season brought Petrović's frustration to a climax, as his playing time dropped to 7 minutes a game.[13] At his insistence, 38 games into the season (in 20 of which Petrović didn't see any playing time), a three-way trade with the Denver Nuggets sent him to the New Jersey Nets in exchange for a first-round pick in the following draft

He was contemplating departure from the Nets, disappointed with tension between himself and, to his belief, envious teammates, as well as the fact that the Nets had not yet extended his contract. He told American reporters that the lack of recognition in the league had him also considering leaving the NBA completely and playing club basketball in Greece.

For personal reasons, Petrović decided not to return to Croatia from Poland together with his teammates, but in a private vehicle.
So what your saying is that anyone who has voiced unhappiness about their playing time is going to be more likely to die in a car crash?
tolbiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #7921
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NopairParker View Post
Someone told me I got skipped or penalized for not being here during mem weekend and not picking for a while
thats not true. Listen to what I tell you if you have a question.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #7922
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPeN11 View Post
Well I already addressed the rest of ur post I thought, it's cool though.
Yeah, guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #7923
Assani Fisher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Assani Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 48,128
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolbiny View Post
So what your saying is that anyone who has voiced unhappiness about their playing time is going to be more likely to die in a car crash?
No. Others have mentioned that my pick, AK47, has been unhappy with the Jazz in recent years. But I very much doubt he dies in a car crash or even a plane crash too.
Assani Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #7924
horizon
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,501
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Drazen had a history of being unhappy with his role and situation though. From wiki:

Self-admittedly, Petrović needed new challenges, which Cibona and the Yugoslavian league could not offer. Across the Atlantic, the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA had already used their third round pick on young Petrović in 1986. However, he decided to postpone his departure to the United States and in 1988 signed with Real Madrid instead, for at that time a hefty sum of around US$ 4 million


The beginning of the 1990-1991 season brought Petrović's frustration to a climax, as his playing time dropped to 7 minutes a game.[13] At his insistence, 38 games into the season (in 20 of which Petrović didn't see any playing time), a three-way trade with the Denver Nuggets sent him to the New Jersey Nets in exchange for a first-round pick in the following draft

He was contemplating departure from the Nets, disappointed with tension between himself and, to his belief, envious teammates, as well as the fact that the Nets had not yet extended his contract. He told American reporters that the lack of recognition in the league had him also considering leaving the NBA completely and playing club basketball in Greece.

For personal reasons, Petrović decided not to return to Croatia from Poland together with his teammates, but in a private vehicle.
As said by EPip, he had a beef with the Nets not extending his contract.
I don't want to remind you who his teammates were, but he was not the biggest headcase of the team (no denying his Ego though)

As for his frustation with the Blazers, his play proved him right. As soon as he was given playing time, he became an efficient 20PPG scorer, just like he had always said he would if given a chance.
horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #7925
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 108,763
Re: Modern Era NBA Build a Franchise Draft Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assani Fisher View Post
Listen to what I tell you if you have a question.
Assani Akbar!
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive