Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

View Poll Results: Who will end up as the GOAT
Roger Federer 322 70.31%
Rafa Nadal 86 18.78%
Novak Djokovic 40 8.73%
Andy Murray 3 0.66%
Pete Sampras 2 0.44%
Roy Emerson 0 0%
Bjorn Borg 1 0.22%
Roder Laver 1 0.22%
John McEnroe 1 0.22%
Bill Tilden 2 0.44%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #1476
Scary_Tiger
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Scary_Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 21,423
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
35 and he doesn't even lose a set. Any measurement that doesn't have him as the GOAT in every way is a flawed measurement.
Nadal just won the French without facing a tie-break and leads head-to-head 9-3 in Grand Slams. Federer is even dodging the French Open just to avoid losing to Nadal more.
Scary_Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #1477
kidcolin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kidcolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: thank god for the hatchery
Posts: 103,383
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Counterpoint: lol clay
kidcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #1478
DisGunBGud
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DisGunBGud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: GENIE LAND
Posts: 19,244
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary_Tiger View Post
Nadal just won the French without facing a tie-break and leads head-to-head 9-3 in Grand Slams. Federer is even dodging the French Open just to avoid losing to Nadal more.
Gonna need a timeout for this guy

Damn uphill tried to top him above. So many hot takes after Grand Slams in these threads. Chili running hot.
DisGunBGud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #1479
UpHillBothWays
adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 844
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGunBGud View Post
Gonna need a timeout for this guy

Damn uphill tried to top him above. So many hot takes after Grand Slams in these threads. Chili running hot.
top who in what?

you can check all my posts in this thread. i've consistently argued that fed is no question the greatest. but i'm also a nitpicky bastard and there are a few ways in which he is not. but overall, especially now in 2017 after he's won TWO, that's TWO FREAKING GRAND SLAMS at the age of 35 in one year, he's warranted a closing of this thread for debate.

now it's just a matter of determining by how far he's the goat. everything i said was 100% true. he doesn't have an olympic gold (he lost to murray AT wimbledon the SAME SUMMER he beat murray at wimbledon for the GS title there), he doesn't have a calendar slam, and he doesn't have the best year of all time. i guess he also doesn't have a winning record against his biggest rival during his career, but that's less of a requirement.

18-15 was a pretty solid distance. 19-15 is absolutely insane. and he may not be done. nadal didn't face a tiebreaker. fed didn't drop a set. these two guys are turning back time, but really only fed can be expected to continue in form since nadal's game is way harsher on his body and he's been sidelined more than fed's once with injuries despite being 4 years his junior.

we also can't count out djok. that said, while you can argue that people counted out fed in 2014ish and he came back, fed's love for the game and mental toughness was never in question. djok may not have the same passion now as he had in 2015 or the beginning of last year. without that passion, he'll never regain his former glory.

i'm interested to see how fed fares against a full form murray. we haven't yet seen that this year. nadal gave him his best, but the new backhand and fed's mental toughness wore nadal down. will the same happen to murray yet again? we'll have to wait and see what happens with the scotsman's hip.

anyways, i'm not sure whom you're saying i was trying to top nor for what, but my views have been 100% consistent since day 1.
UpHillBothWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #1480
jmill
Freak you Bobo Fett
 
jmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Missed championship? That's fresh.
Posts: 19,204
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary_Tiger View Post
Nadal just won the French without facing a tie-break and leads head-to-head 9-3 in Grand Slams. Federer is even dodging the French Open just to avoid losing to Nadal more.
Meh. If Federer were worse on clay or Nadal were better on non clay courts, that 9-3 record wouldn't exist. You're really giving Fed a compliment, in the sense that he's still good enough on his weakest surface to go deep in the tournament & face Nadal.
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #1481
Montrealcorp
Pooh-Bah
 
Montrealcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,530
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpHillBothWays View Post
top who in what?

you can check all my posts in this thread. i've consistently argued that fed is no question the greatest. but i'm also a nitpicky bastard and there are a few ways in which he is not. but overall, especially now in 2017 after he's won TWO, that's TWO FREAKING GRAND SLAMS at the age of 35 in one year, he's warranted a closing of this thread for debate.

now it's just a matter of determining by how far he's the goat. everything i said was 100% true. he doesn't have an olympic gold (he lost to murray AT wimbledon the SAME SUMMER he beat murray at wimbledon for the GS title there), he doesn't have a calendar slam, and he doesn't have the best year of all time. i guess he also doesn't have a winning record against his biggest rival during his career, but that's less of a requirement.

18-15 was a pretty solid distance. 19-15 is absolutely insane. and he may not be done. nadal didn't face a tiebreaker. fed didn't drop a set. these two guys are turning back time, but really only fed can be expected to continue in form since nadal's game is way harsher on his body and he's been sidelined more than fed's once with injuries despite being 4 years his junior.

we also can't count out djok. that said, while you can argue that people counted out fed in 2014ish and he came back, fed's love for the game and mental toughness was never in question. djok may not have the same passion now as he had in 2015 or the beginning of last year. without that passion, he'll never regain his former glory.

i'm interested to see how fed fares against a full form murray. we haven't yet seen that this year. nadal gave him his best, but the new backhand and fed's mental toughness wore nadal down. will the same happen to murray yet again? we'll have to wait and see what happens with the scotsman's hip.

anyways, i'm not sure whom you're saying i was trying to top nor for what, but my views have been 100% consistent since day 1.
Comon man, since when olympic medals have ever been an issue of importance ?
That is a new thing really that dated only from a couple of years...

1 year do not make a career.
i mean look simply at eugenie bouchard for example, she had 1 great year and than nothing, gone with the wind.

the real issue it is his record vs nadal.
True is lagging behind but unfortunately for federer, only 3 matches have been on grass while they face 15 times on clay that nadal is ahead 13-2 ( nadal is the goat on clay of course)...

i mean that is a huge issue imo.
i mean we probably could agree if more matches would happen on grass federer would dominate as much vs nadal right ?
on hard surface federer is 10-9.

But nadal still got time tho to get 4 if not 5 slam.
So will see.
Montrealcorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #1482
grando1.0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
grando1.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Olympic Rustling
Posts: 10,315
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Haha Montreal is amazing. Nadal 4 or 5 more slams. Can't count djoko out. Luckily all this nonsense is pretty much a push with how people see Quebec.
grando1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 AM   #1483
Montrealcorp
Pooh-Bah
 
Montrealcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,530
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by grando1.0 View Post
Haha Montreal is amazing. Nadal 4 or 5 more slams. Can't count djoko out. Luckily all this nonsense is pretty much a push with how people see Quebec.
???

Nadal got 15 titles and federer 19, your point being ?
Montrealcorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #1484
sportsjefe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
sportsjefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,521
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
On tour, slams or both?
Sampras is 203-38 in slams (84.2%) and 559-184 outside them (75.2%).
sportsjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #1485
Bidz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bidz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,208
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

GOAT OAT

Bidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #1486
Dominic
Tripod
 
Dominic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vegas
Posts: 60,510
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

I have no clue what ELO is, but that list is ridiculous.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #1487
lumberajack
adept
 
lumberajack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,010
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
I have no clue what ELO is, but that list is ridiculous.
ELO baby
lumberajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #1488
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 33,716
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
I have no clue what ELO is, but that list is ridiculous.
It's Elo (not an acronym it's the inventors surname). It's a rating system commonly used in chess. It is sometimes applied to other sports.
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #1489
PyramidScheme
FPS Allstar
 
PyramidScheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Disabled List Always
Posts: 19,816
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

and I thought this whole time we were arguing rankings put out by Electric Light Orchestra.
PyramidScheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #1490
brandoncla
Pooh-Bah
 
brandoncla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the Rivahhhhs flow like wine
Posts: 4,940
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Nadal looks ridiculously ripped like he's got a lot left in the tank...just sayin'
brandoncla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #1491
ut2010
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ut2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Religion in the fack killed my soul
Posts: 37,096
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Fed gonna need Djoker to return to form to help hold off Nadal.
ut2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #1492
Fedfan691
Pooh-Bah
 
Fedfan691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bed-Stuy, County of Kings
Posts: 3,505
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut2010 View Post
Fed gonna need Djoker to return to form to help hold off Nadal.
rise of Zverev and EL SHAPO would be more fun
Fedfan691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #1493
El Rata
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Rata's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 28,144
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncla View Post
Nadal looks ridiculously ripped like he's got a lot left in the tank...just sayin'
he's never been afraid to roid up
El Rata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #1494
bottomset
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bottomset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: pray for mojo
Posts: 25,990
Re: Federer is the GOAT. If you disagree: lol @ u

I mean you play the people that you get matched up with, but this will be hard to top for weakest field ever faced, Del Potro at #24 is the highest ranked played.
bottomset is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online