Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #13901
Dean Manifest
Pooh-Bah
 
Dean Manifest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,771
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonOfTheFall View Post
LOL aren't you a Tory?

Dean is Donald Trump, that came as a surprise to me I must admit. He hid it well.
I voted for Barry twice. Caught me on a particularly dick-ish morning.
Dean Manifest is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #13902
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,681
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBlow View Post
Heskey and Barmby played in that game. That was just a freakish night
As much as bandit is an idiot, he's right when he says that Germany around the turn of the millennium was utter AIDS.
Sugar Nut is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #13903
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,681
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOstrich View Post
And yet despite all that, I still find the above quoted post way more offensive than anything I ever hear at Goodison. I hate sneering scumbags like Dean Manifest, with their condescending "capitalism is king" bull**** way more than I hate the simple, stupid people on the terraces. GTFO with that crap.
I wish I were good with words, too. This is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say in my responses to Dean.

Last edited by Sugar Nut; 10-10-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: correctly spelling the word "wish" could be a start.
Sugar Nut is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #13904
NicReynolds
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NicReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Office
Posts: 10,541
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
The Americans will let you know about Cleveland.

On your other point:

We have made more major tournaments in recent years

We have won the Six Nations and won a Grand Slam

We have won multiple majors in golf + had a player as #1 in the world

We even do well in cricket, wtf is that about?

We rule the world when it comes to Gaelic Football and Hurling

We have Guinness
1.Easier groups obv
2.We have less fat guys due to heroin problem
3.Scotland 55 v 3 Ireland
4.For ******s
5.Your Darts and Curling are subpar
NicReynolds is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #13905
t3hbandit
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
t3hbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: What a feeling what a night!
Posts: 6,209
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBlow View Post
^^^^
You said:

Quote:
Stongest national team compared with previous England teams maybe, but not relative to their opposition.
So unless in your book Germany/Spain/France/Holland/Argentina weren't considered rivals you're wrong. And as I alredy mentioned England played well vs Brazil in 2002 and were very unlucky to lose.

Quote:
Heskey and Barmby played in that game. That was just a freakish night and we still almost managed to balls up qualifying. Beckham's free kick saved us.

FFS, the ROI beat Germany the other night. That doesn't mean they should win something.
Using Heskey and Barmby as examples only makes your argument worse and comparing the ROI result to England 5-1 Germany is laughable bad. Any side can win a one off game I.E ROI but this is the first I've heard of a lucky 5-1 win which might be the greatest stretch in the history of this forum to defend an argument.
t3hbandit is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #13906
sixfour
should be called sevenfour
 
sixfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tungsten Analysis
Posts: 69,434
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalblue View Post
Guiness sucks
hot take
sixfour is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #13907
kevin21
SE Spokesman
 
kevin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 62,022
Re: English Football 2015-16

Nic, are you Scottish?
kevin21 is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #13908
NicReynolds
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NicReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Office
Posts: 10,541
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
Nic, are you Scottish?
Confirmed.
NicReynolds is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #13909
kevin21
SE Spokesman
 
kevin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 62,022
Re: English Football 2015-16

Whoa, this is an incredible development
kevin21 is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #13910
ZAIDS
itís coming home again
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,633
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBlow View Post
I've got to laugh at that 'we should've beaten Brazil in 2002' comment from earlier.
Common mistake, I do it a lot, to say should've instead of could've after the event. England could've beaten Brazil. They are never should've.



You go through the list of players and yea kind of even, england might edge this actually - then the last 3 names = never should've.

Owen was actually current balon d'or though.
ZAIDS is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #13911
Dean Manifest
Pooh-Bah
 
Dean Manifest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,771
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAIDS View Post
i thought taking joy at others misfortune was like 99.95% of the point of being a sports fan
Serious question for those who are old enough: was this always the case, or is it a byproduct of the internet?
Dean Manifest is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #13912
NicReynolds
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NicReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Office
Posts: 10,541
Re: English Football 2015-16

Prime Heskey has been stitched up by twighlight years Heskey.
NicReynolds is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #13913
Dean Manifest
Pooh-Bah
 
Dean Manifest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,771
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
Nic, are you Scottish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicReynolds View Post
Confirmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
Whoa, this is an incredible development
Is there anything better than listening to a Scot speak? Nicol and Burley could be having the stupidest conversation in history and I'll catch myself nodding and smiling.
Dean Manifest is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #13914
NicReynolds
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NicReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Office
Posts: 10,541
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Manifest View Post
Serious question for those who are old enough: was this always the case, or is it a byproduct of the internet?
Why do you care if you win or lose?
NicReynolds is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #13915
LostOstrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LostOstrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Head in the sand
Posts: 15,932
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Manifest View Post
Capitalism is king? It's like you can't mention the word unless you're crapping on it without be presumed to vote conservative (I don't) and worshiping supply-side economics (ditto). It happens to be the system we've got, and it happens to have both positive and negative outcomes for all of us. Bashing the negative (Person X has undeserved wealth usually) while soaking up the positives (doing so on an iPhone, in an air conditioned home or automobile, all three of which can be afforded on the median income or less) is a common occurrence I object to. I'll apologize again for my rude tone however.
yeah I objected to the "sure it'd be a better atmosphere if the poors could afford to get in to the games because they seem to actually care about the sport, but they can't afford it because they're too stupid so *** them" aspect of your quoted post as it was not only unnecessarily nasty but also a bad argument. You've apologised for the tone, so I'll withdraw my "scumbag" line and we can all be nice to each other.

And yes, in a bizarre paradox I can reveal I am a lifelong tory voter. I won't bore anyone with my reasoning.
LostOstrich is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #13916
PeteBlow
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Guildford, UK
Posts: 12,582
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hbandit View Post
You said:



So unless in your book Germany/Spain/France/Holland/Argentina weren't considered rivals you're wrong. And as I alredy mentioned England played well vs Brazil in 2002 and were very unlucky to lose.



Using Heskey and Barmby as examples only makes your argument worse and comparing the ROI result to England 5-1 Germany is laughable bad. Any side can win a one off game I.E ROI but this is the first I've heard of a lucky 5-1 win which might be the greatest stretch in the history of this forum to defend an argument.
I never said the 5-1 was lucky. I said it was a freakish result. For once, England played to their golden generation potential and Germany fell apart completely.

The epitome of a one off game, as the struggle to qualify despite that game proved.
PeteBlow is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #13917
kingweed
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kingweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pass it to the keeper!
Posts: 46,640
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinarocket View Post
Im sitting in the car listening to the radio and there is this feature sponsored by a bookmaker where a football"specialist" who knows **** all comes on and tips the audience to bet on the favorites of a bunch of games tonight. He develops by explaining that said favorite is the better team therefore its the best bet.

Taking my CDs next time
lol at CDs, do you not a phone? Spotify + music apps + podcasts is the way to head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinarocket View Post
KW the city of cleveland hasnt won a championship in in any of the american major sports for like 50 years. Then they luckboxed lebron james in 2003 through the draft and still couldnt win a title with him
Okies. I assume lebron james was meant to be the difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Manifest View Post
Serious question for those who are old enough: was this always the case, or is it a byproduct of the internet?
Derbies are the biggest games of the year and always have been. Nothing to do with the fact you can wind up your mates who support the other team.

lol at thinking it was brought on by the internet, jfc
kingweed is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #13918
Liverpool
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Liverpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,079
Re: English Football 2015-16

Nothing worse then an International Break.
Liverpool is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #13919
royalblue
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
royalblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18,525
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour View Post
hot take
I'm sure many people will find it a steaming take, but I stand by it. Kilkenny >
royalblue is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #13920
Dean Manifest
Pooh-Bah
 
Dean Manifest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,771
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOstrich View Post
yeah I objected to the "sure it'd be a better atmosphere if the poors could afford to get in to the games because they seem to actually care about the sport, but they can't afford it because they're too stupid so *** them" aspect of your quoted post as it was not only unnecessarily nasty but also a bad argument. You've apologised for the tone, so I'll withdraw my "scumbag" line and we can all be nice to each other.

And yes, in a bizarre paradox I can reveal I am a lifelong tory voter. I won't bore anyone with my reasoning.
Yup, my post was rude, unkind and stupid. I read a post that struck a chord based on a frustrating thread of conversations I've had recently IRL and responded like a moron. I completely deserve the negative backlash that ensued.

I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that the Torries haven't gone off the deep end the way American Republicans have (you can't even call them conservatives at this point). I think there are perfectly valid motivations for voting conservative if that's what the party actually is. Personally I don't feel that I have such a choice at this time in the States.
Dean Manifest is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #13921
BAIDS
2013 FA Cup winner
 
BAIDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 32,645
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOstrich View Post
And yes, in a bizarre paradox I can reveal I am a lifelong tory voter. I won't bore anyone with my reasoning.
did u fancy thatcher
BAIDS is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #13922
Dean Manifest
Pooh-Bah
 
Dean Manifest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,771
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingweed View Post
Derbies are the biggest games of the year and always have been. Nothing to do with the fact you can wind up your mates who support the other team.

lol at thinking it was brought on by the internet, jfc
That's the obvious exception to the geographic segregation of fan bases of the vast majority of clubs. I also think winding up your buddy at work about Everton-Liverpool is different than what we see online, but maybe that's not the case. Hence the question...
Dean Manifest is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #13923
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,681
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Manifest View Post
Yup, my post was rude, unkind and stupid. I read a post that struck a chord based on a frustrating thread of conversations I've had recently IRL and responded like a moron. I completely deserve the negative backlash that ensued.
Sugar Nut is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #13924
jalfrezi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jalfrezi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long gone, long long gone
Posts: 9,794
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Manifest View Post
Serious question for those who are old enough: was this always the case, or is it a byproduct of the internet?
Always the case
jalfrezi is offline  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #13925
LostOstrich
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LostOstrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Head in the sand
Posts: 15,932
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAIDS View Post
did u fancy thatcher
Edwina Currie
LostOstrich is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive