Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #10151
Consty
resident wizard
 
Consty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,134
Re: English Football 2015-16

A bit random but went for my morning run earlier down the local farmers footpaths towards the golf course and as I approach the top of the road a car pulls over and a welsh voice shouts out "excuse me mate, do you know where the entrance is to the golf course?" I pop my head through the wound down window and it's...

Spoiler:
Consty is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 AM   #10152
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,656
Re: English Football 2015-16

Its no way a strawman, you are the one referencing Germans being unable to drink a beer with "flavour" and that its boring.

You are in fact saying its full of flavour but still boring and Germans cant drink flavour full Belgian beers because???????

Also with Keo the water chemistry thing makes perfect sense. I get your point though, but then what are reviewers supposed to say?
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #10153
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,672
Re: English Football 2015-16

Oettinger king of cheap as **** beers. Tastes good enough and doesn't explode a nuke in your head the next morning.

If any of you German LÖLyoungs remember Neptun Dosenbier, holy ****, that **** should be banned as per the Chemical Weapons Convention.
Sugar Nut is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #10154
FeralCreature
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,148
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe1337 View Post
I would much rather drink Stella than Carling, Fosters, Carlsberg etc.
You clearly have an unrefined palate, you plebe!
FeralCreature is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #10155
royalblue
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
royalblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18,311
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nut View Post
Oettinger king of cheap as **** beers. Tastes good enough and doesn't explode a nuke in your head the next morning.

If any of you German LÖLyoungs remember Neptun Dosenbier, holy ****, that **** should be banned as per the Chemical Weapons Convention.
Haha, never heard of it, elite name though. I'm generally lucky in that I don't get headaches as part of my hangover- but Warsteiner really tests that.

My go to right now for cheap beer is Grafensteiner... 35 cts for a half liter bottle and tastes totally fine
royalblue is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 AM   #10156
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,656
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe1337 View Post
I would much rather drink Stella than Carling, Fosters, Carlsberg etc.
Those beers are all worse than Stella in the market they are in, but given the dynamics of that market I just find those other beers more bland and hence actually better.

Dont mind Kronenberg or any of the other so called premuim lagers so much, Stella is like the dry bumming of beers, its so aggressive and unsubtle and makes you sore afterwards.

Maybe that is what a reviewer could say to be non pretentious, Stella, the dry bumming of beers that leaves you sore.
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 AM   #10157
royalblue
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
royalblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18,311
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralCreature View Post


And you're right, it is totally drinkable.
my bro loved that when he lived in east Germany
royalblue is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:02 AM   #10158
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,656
Re: English Football 2015-16

Is Stella still 5.2%?
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:06 AM   #10159
Sugar Nut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Sugar Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dietmar Hopp Du Sohn Einer Hure!
Posts: 20,672
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalblue View Post
Haha, never heard of it, elite name though. I'm generally lucky in that I don't get headaches as part of my hangover- but Warsteiner really tests that.

My go to right now for cheap beer is Grafensteiner... 35 cts for a half liter bottle and tastes totally fine
Well, it was called Neptun Pilsener ldo, not Dosenbier. Honest to **** the most vile and disgusting **** you could imagine. Tasted like poison. Felt like poison when it was inside of you. Was cheap as ****, though so we drank it a lot back in the day.
Sugar Nut is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:07 AM   #10160
HH
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,132
Re: English Football 2015-16

Stella is alcoholic AIDS.
HH is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #10161
FeralCreature
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,148
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.F.K.1.1 View Post
Its no way a strawman, you are the one referencing Germans being unable to drink a beer with "flavour" and that its boring.
LOL OAFK, you literally stated that my argument was that pilsner has 'no flavor', which is about as obvious a strawman as they come.
FeralCreature is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #10162
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,656
Re: English Football 2015-16

Seems like a perfectly fair and reasonable reduction of your argument.

States it is boring, states that anyone claiming it has flavour is claiming the emeperor has new clothes, states germans wont drink Belgian beers coz of the flavour.

Think we are into the massive nit picking backtrackaments here.

You want to say the emperor has clothes.
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #10163
FeralCreature
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,148
Re: English Football 2015-16

Uhm, no. I could try to explain it to you but I don't think there's any point. At this point you are basically resorting to 'no u' tactics. Didn't we have an equally ******ed argument about the working class in football or whatever?
FeralCreature is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #10164
thechef
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,061
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_USA View Post
As for the lol we just add a ton of hops and it all taste the same. There has been so much experimentation with all beers, especially IPAs. All sorts of different hops and different ingredients to make some tremendously different flavors.
Although I think there's certainly a trend towards more hops and American craft beer is certainly at the forefront, I was being facetious in reducing American craft to "add a ****load of hops, in a nutshell". I did it because it's precisely what you do when you dismiss "warm and flat" English ales. Your limited experience probably includes one or two "session" beers, as these tend to be found in many pubs even if there isn't a big choice of ales. These are relatively weak in alcohol content and mild in flavour. This is by design so that they can be consumed several pints at a time in a session. Some session beers are great but they're not going to set your taste buds dancing because by design, that is not what they're about. That's a subtlety that I don't expect a Yanktard to be on board with. Besides that, it's just one of many types of English beer you could come across. And they're not warm; just not chilled.

All your comments about the huge variety and fusions in American craft can equally be applied to the scene here in the UK. The whole debate is stupid because it requires talking in stereotypes that can easily be countered on both sides. Here's a stereotype which I think does fit: You are doing the typical Yankeedoodle trick of proclaiming USA#1 despite being ignorant of what everywhere else is doing.

In conclusion, I am not denouncing American craft beer, just pointing out a couple of things:

1. You're missing out if you dismiss the simple/traditional beers. We do these extremely well in England.

2. American craft beer is not as experimental and revolutionary as you think.
thechef is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #10165
FeralCreature
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,148
Re: English Football 2015-16

English ales are massively underrated IMO, although I'm by no means an expert. Every time I've tried some I've been very impressed. Much prefer them over boring German pilsners.
FeralCreature is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:00 AM   #10166
FeralCreature
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,148
Re: English Football 2015-16

With regards to the 'warm and flat' thing, that is a feature and not a bug. It's relatively easy to make a beer drinkable when it's carbonated and ice cold. To take those aspects away and still have it be good is much more difficult.
FeralCreature is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #10167
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,656
Re: English Football 2015-16

Warm is so inaccurate though, beers are not served warm in the UK.

When I have frozen my bollox off surfing in Febuary in the UK, I have thought hmmmm, I will go and heat up my core by going and having a lovely warm beer precisely zero times.
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #10168
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,656
Re: English Football 2015-16

Also @thechef, would disagree that Yanks have not experimented a lot with beer, however most of the time this is a massive bug and not a feature.
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:12 AM   #10169
mic_check12
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,285
Re: English Football 2015-16

Anyone reading this page would think it's an international break
mic_check12 is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #10170
DuckSauce
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DuckSauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: scottsdale
Posts: 9,279
Re: English Football 2015-16

It's not even an international break. At least no animals have passed away I guess.
DuckSauce is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:37 AM   #10171
FeralCreature
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,148
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.F.K.1.1 View Post
Warm is so inaccurate though, beers are not served warm in the UK.

When I have frozen my bollox off surfing in Febuary in the UK, I have thought hmmmm, I will go and heat up my core by going and having a lovely warm beer precisely zero times.
Yes because when people say 'warm' in this context that is exactly what they mean, warm enough to heat up your core.
FeralCreature is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #10172
sixfour
should be called sevenfour
 
sixfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tungsten Analysis
Posts: 69,168
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.F.K.1.1 View Post
Is Stella still 5.2%?
4.8 last time I had one of them, don't know if they differentiate between draught/bottles/cans like some do
sixfour is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #10173
Sven O
4L FF League 2 Champ

 
Sven O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,900
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
as I've been drinking more, I want to espouse on this a bit. I remember years ago you not digging Barolo and not liking Champagne at all. I'm now very interested to see where this goes as both of those two regions satisfy a lot of different dishes and palate tastes. Granted, these regions+burgundy are my (well, Piemonte) 3 core in what I drink and care about.

Your massive benefit is being able to visit these areas much more easily than I can. And I would say that you shouldn't sleep on how amazing German Riesling can be as it pairs beautifully with many dishes that Alsace and Austrian riesling doesn't necessarily do.

I've been meaning to say this, but, go after your dream of cooking. You've made good money via poker, so do what truly motivates you. I've done the retail thing and it's taken me 8 years to realize what I really want. Hopefully it doesn't take that long, but visit as many wine regions as you can (along with emerging wine+food regions as I'm in my 30s and it's harder than you being in your 20s).
<3 Barolo

Italian reds #1. I am also very fond of the Brunello wines. Could you make a short list with your favorite sub 100 $ Barolos?
Sven O is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #10174
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,656
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralCreature View Post
Yes because when people say 'warm' in this context that is exactly what they mean, warm enough to heat up your core.
Way too easy.

BTW, thats a real strawman.
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #10175
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,656
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour View Post
4.8 last time I had one of them, don't know if they differentiate between draught/bottles/cans like some do
Yea most commercial beers changed there content to miss tax yardsticks at 5%.

Maybe Stella tastes less like Port Talbot smells now.
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive