Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #32001
vruuuuk
veteran
 
vruuuuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,423
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrezi View Post
A Masters in which subject (and from which university), is what's important.
Definitely this.
There are probably college degrees much more difficult to take than my masters.
vruuuuk is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #32002
ZAIDS
itís coming home again
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,633
Re: English Football 2015-16

Think people miss point - getting a masters is fine, maybe gives you access to information that isn't readily available, buys you a year to figure out stuff.m, whatever

It's just when boasting about qualifications and debating in a 'no u, i'm superior' style has me scratching my head.
ZAIDS is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #32003
Falconhoof
veteran
 
Falconhoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Searching for my mainline
Posts: 2,049
Re: English Football 2015-16

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...clubs-u21-team

Aston Villa U21 3 - Aston Villa 0
Falconhoof is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #32004
joejoe1337
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
joejoe1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Posts: 14,715
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAIDS View Post
Think people miss point - getting a masters is fine, maybe gives you access to information that isn't readily available, buys you a year to figure out stuff.m, whatever

It's just when boasting about qualifications and debating in a 'no u, i'm superior' style has me scratching my head.
This. If you've managed a master's and haven't work out that Socrates was right then you've kind of ****ed it.

Quote:
To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconhoof View Post
Came in to post this. Kind of hope Garde just gives the kids a runout for the rest of the season. Could at least go down fighting rather than as a bunch of QPR-esq, overpaid, terrible journeymen.
joejoe1337 is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #32005
jalfrezi
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jalfrezi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long gone, long long gone
Posts: 9,793
Re: English Football 2015-16

Then again Socrates didn't live in the age of the Internet when what matters most is trying to impress a bunch of strangers.
jalfrezi is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #32006
39suited
But it was suited
 
39suited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Teh Internetz (non US)
Posts: 8,189
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrezi View Post
Then again Socrates didn't live in the age of the Internet when what matters most is trying to impress a bunch of strangers.
Don't forget the option to see funny cat pictures at any time.
39suited is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #32007
unwantedguest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: English Football 2015-16

Alabama Man Killed After Trying to Use App to Track Cellphone

http://flip.it/aCpdp

Could have been you Kev.
 
Old 02-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #32008
Tall Paul
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Tall Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8,742
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe1337 View Post
surely at this point the correct word is smug?
Maybe, although I still maintain that we could well have stayed up that season had Coyle not walked out when he did.

Feels like we're much better off now though.
Tall Paul is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #32009
Elrazor
losing momentum
 
Elrazor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,612
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAIDS View Post
Surprised Elrazor has a really poor style of debate considering level of qualifications. I know the internet is a place where people are desperate to be right - as opposed to learn, gather information, reassess positions - but you'd think someone with a masters would know better.
What is the value to me (or anyone) of spending a significant amount of time writing a mini-essay on anything post ITT? I'm not interested in getting into debates - you just get some loltard making personal/straw man arguments in return, e.g.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerio View Post
lolelrazor has too much momentum vs the scientific method of hypothesising lolelrazor and constantly testing it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAIDS View Post
It's just when boasting about qualifications and debating in a 'no u, i'm superior' style has me scratching my head.
Speaking of personal insults, I mentioned my masters to defend myself against loltard comments that just because I wasn't ****ing over xG, that I wasn't bright enough to understand analytics. I agree it was cheap, but if you're going to make arguments based on the perceived lack of intelligence of another poster, don't cry about it when they defend themselves on that premise.
Elrazor is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #32010
fanerio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fanerio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: formerly zeestein
Posts: 8,718
Re: English Football 2015-16

yeah heres the thing, lolelrazor

i do boldly assert that your education to date does not contain any element of understanding of probability distributions cos that stuff asserted is historically megalol and just fundamentally goes against any kind of nummeracy or scientific testing

i can assert purple alien ghosts who eat toast made from ether and it would be as testable as your momentum idea and contain as much signal
fanerio is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #32011
Lars1
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,976
Re: English Football 2015-16

masters in psychology, get tricked by own cognitive biases
Lars1 is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #32012
LFC_USA
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LFC_USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17,912
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe1337 View Post
Yup, 6th and 7th place in the PL are dependent on FA/LC winners. That's why Villa didn't qualify last year and Southampton did despite Villa coming 2nd in the cup. In previous years, villa would have got in.
Imagine the narrative if they had. European football ruined Villa!
LFC_USA is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #32013
joejoe1337
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
joejoe1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Posts: 14,715
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_USA View Post
Imagine the narrative if they had. European football ruined Villa!
Naw, the momentum would have carried them through
joejoe1337 is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #32014
Elrazor
losing momentum
 
Elrazor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,612
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars1 View Post
masters in psychology, get tricked by own cognitive biases
And yet you're the one who thought just because "hot-hand" was disproved in basketball, that it was generalisable to all sports, all the time. FYI, when the debate threatened to get interesting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrazor View Post
...and therein lies the problem of trying to apply statistics to open and closed skills. Closed skills like free-throws in basketball remove any number of extraneous variables that exist in an open skill, and are therefore infinitely easier to measure.

You can perform a closed skill in a familiar environment, repeat it in an unfamiliar environment and measure performance difference. With a supportive crown, a hostile crowd and no crowd. Just flip the independent variable and see how it affects performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerio View Post
yeah heres the thing, lolelrazor

i do boldly assert that your education to date does not contain any element of understanding of probability distributions cos that stuff asserted is historically megalol and just fundamentally goes against any kind of nummeracy or scientific testing

i can assert purple alien ghosts who eat toast made from ether and it would be as testable as your momentum idea and contain as much signal
I guess you skipped the lecture on inductive reasoning? To recap, I can suggest momentum might be a thing (for example an amalgamation of form, team-spirit and collective efficacy) as I observe what I think might be a phenomenon, collect corroboratory evidence (statements from SAF, Wenger, Poch, Pep, etc), form a tentative hypothesis and develop a theory.

At that point, you can take a deductive approach and test that reasoning. But even a PhD wouldn't scratch the surface, so lol at trying to prove it to the internet.

Last edited by Elrazor; 02-22-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Elrazor is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #32015
BAIDS
2013 FA Cup winner
 
BAIDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 32,645
Re: English Football 2015-16

widely held belief in momentum disproven in other sport is much more convincing evidence than the opinions of some football managers

just is
BAIDS is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #32016
fanerio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fanerio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: formerly zeestein
Posts: 8,718
Re: English Football 2015-16

hahaha
fanerio is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #32017
Lars1
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 4,976
Re: English Football 2015-16

did those manager quotes contain anything you couldn't get from talking to random fat blokes in pubs? if the answer is no then maybe they shouldn't be used as evidence for anything.
Lars1 is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #32018
Elrazor
losing momentum
 
Elrazor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,612
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAIDS View Post
widely held belief in momentum disproven in other sport is much more convincing evidence than the opinions of some football managers

just is
But then you still can't generalise. One guy throwing a ball at a hoop lots of times just proves that throwing a ball at a hoop lots of times is not affected by individual belief in ability to score - it does not disprove form, collective efficacy and team spirit affect the result of a 90 min match in football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars1 View Post
did those manager quotes contain anything you couldn't get from talking to random blokes on the internet? if the answer is no then maybe they shouldn't be used as evidence for anything.
.
Elrazor is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #32019
ZAIDS
itís coming home again
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,633
Re: English Football 2015-16

Football gossip time:

Did anyone have a read of that stuff posted by RedIssue. No sources obv. Was retweeted by thread's favourite twitterer caley - basically hope all of it is true:

https://storify.com/MC_of_A/red-issu...orate-intrigue

I thought Fergie retired to spend more quality time with Cathy.
ZAIDS is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #32020
xXDeuce7Xx
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
xXDeuce7Xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,017
Re: English Football 2015-16

Red Issue are FOS most of the time. It's a paid access forum so they have to pretend to be itk to get customers.

That being said, a less dramatic/machiavellian version of this story has been doing the rounds for months, wouldn't surprise me if there's some politics at play behind the scenes the way the club is being run.
xXDeuce7Xx is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #32021
BAIDS
2013 FA Cup winner
 
BAIDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 32,645
Re: English Football 2015-16

i cant understand why you're so confident that a momentum study in the context of one sport is utterly worthless when discussing momentum in another

is momentum an exclusively foot-based phenomenon
BAIDS is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #32022
xXDeuce7Xx
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
xXDeuce7Xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,017
Re: English Football 2015-16

On a more positive note, our fearless leader has decided against rotation, so I'm cautiously optimistic we'll be able to halt the negative momentum from two successive losses and force a replay.
xXDeuce7Xx is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #32023
ZAIDS
itís coming home again
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,633
Re: English Football 2015-16

My only experience with momentum is through quizup.
ZAIDS is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #32024
mic_check12
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,288
Re: English Football 2015-16

New LMS going off this weeke,d last one paid €1060 up top. €10 to matt20 on stars to play or PM for paypal or bank xfer
mic_check12 is offline  
Old 02-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #32025
royalblue
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
royalblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18,508
Re: English Football 2015-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAIDS View Post
i cant understand why you're so confident that a momentum study in the context of one sport is utterly worthless when discussing momentum in another

is momentum an exclusively foot-based phenomenon
I understand his point about free throws or whatever it was being more easily to quantify than football. Kind of like how it's easy to produce a WAR figure in baseball, esp on the hitting side, but it's not in football.

But there seems to be no evidence suggesting that psychological momentum does exist (or makes much of a difference). When there's one side saying thing x (in this case momentum) doesn't have any effect and and one group saying that it does, the burden of proof is on the latter.

In German we call that concept Nullhypothese, not sure if there's an english word. Basically, assume difference in data is down to variance until you get evidence suggesting otherwise
royalblue is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive