Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Sporting Events Discussion centered around sporting events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #6376
Geddy Lee
Good Ol' Canadian Boy
 
Geddy Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Obi-Sean, you're our only hope
Posts: 25,361
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Matter of preference, but premium Alberta beef is up there with just about any in the world.
Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #6377
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

If their poutine sucked do not go back.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #6378
Avalanche333
veteran
 
Avalanche333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: actually a Leafs fan.
Posts: 2,341
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar View Post
A hockey bar opened 3 block away. Went today for the super series game.

Poutine sucks. Calgary beef is ok.

Possibly going to be hockey-themed trivia master in the future.
Whoa hockey bar? Are you still in Seattle? Where's this at?
Avalanche333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #6379
sylar
Ivan Drago's homeslice
 
sylar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Znaroks fan club
Posts: 20,311
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche333 View Post
Whoa hockey bar? Are you still in Seattle? Where's this at?
Angry Beaver on greenwood.

Poutine had very few actual cheese curds on it. Fries themselves were very limp and not crispy. Disappointing at best.

Calgary beef was beef "breaded" in brown sugar and shredded ginger, then fried (deep fried?). Doubt the meat was actually from Alberta.

I will go back once the games start, but probably only for beer/trivia.

Huge Canadian flag in the wall, and jerseys of Canadian teams. Leaves, habs, senators, Canucks, and avalanche. Also an old USSR jersey. Flames/oil/jets didn't make the cut. LOL. Sorry.
sylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #6380
TJay
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,624
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

In Canada that's called ginger beef. I've known it my whole life in Edmonton, and just last month when I moved to Calgary did I learn that it was invented here (along with the caeser). I've never heard it called Calgary beef lol.
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #6381
TJay
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,624
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Good ginger beef is also the greatest unhealthy food around. If you're ever in a western Canadian Chinese food restaurant, it's mandatory you order it.
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #6382
Ketter
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 403
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSchwartz View Post
In general, marginal utility for $1 to the player who needs to fill the gas tank on his ski boat > marginal utility of $1 to an owner who wipes his ass with hundos
Yup. That's why a better question might be not who loses more, but who feels the hurt more. Your point is well taken but still, it's not like owners have infinite money and losing an entire season is something they would just shrug off.

I think some of you are giving owners/players way too much credit. They lost a season once before not so long ago, no reason it can't happen again. Some have pointed out that things are different now. In some ways sure, but fundamentally no. Fundamentally, we are still talking about arguing over how a huge hunk of money is to be divided between them, and if they can't agree then they all get nothing. As far as that goes, exactly nothing has changed in the last 8 years and if they were dumb enough to lose a season then, there is no reason it can't happen again. Not saying that will happen, just saying don't assume that greed/stubbornness/stupidity can't end up the "winner" here.
Ketter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #6383
Nootka
Pooh-Bah
 
Nootka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 5,655
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

i still think they're playing by jan. 1. they seem close on key issues and the rhetoric is a lot tamer than the last lockout.

and lol canadian food.
Nootka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #6384
TJay
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,624
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

The amount of fatty strips of deep fried and sugar coated beef consumed is directly correlated to gold medals.
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #6385
Geddy Lee
Good Ol' Canadian Boy
 
Geddy Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Obi-Sean, you're our only hope
Posts: 25,361
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Enlarged hearts produce greater WIM. It's a ****ing fact.
Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #6386
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketter View Post
Yup. That's why a better question might be not who loses more, but who feels the hurt more. Your point is well taken but still, it's not like owners have infinite money and losing an entire season is something they would just shrug off.

I think some of you are giving owners/players way too much credit. They lost a season once before not so long ago, no reason it can't happen again. Some have pointed out that things are different now. In some ways sure, but fundamentally no. Fundamentally, we are still talking about arguing over how a huge hunk of money is to be divided between them, and if they can't agree then they all get nothing. As far as that goes, exactly nothing has changed in the last 8 years and if they were dumb enough to lose a season then, there is no reason it can't happen again. Not saying that will happen, just saying don't assume that greed/stubbornness/stupidity can't end up the "winner" here.
The issue last time was that one side felt that money should be split and the other side did not feel that way. That is a way larger issue - now that both sides have agreed that money should be split, it's simply inevitable that they figure out a way to split it.

The NHL last time was willing to go over the cliff because many teams felt they lost more money by playing than by sitting out. I don't think that's true anymore. Likewise for the players, they already lost their biggest battle. If the NHL gives them Make Whole they will end up at 50/50 eventually.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #6387
miller62
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 94
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
The NHL last time was willing to go over the cliff because many teams felt they lost more money by playing than by sitting out. I don't think that's true anymore.
I assume it's still true for all the teams that were losing money. I don't know if this is significantly less teams than before, or losing significantly less money on average? But you would have to think that teams that operate in the red lose less by not operating.
miller62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #6388
Triumph36
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Triumph36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Osi Ukin'-yora
Posts: 40,914
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller62 View Post
I assume it's still true for all the teams that were losing money. I don't know if this is significantly less teams than before, or losing significantly less money on average? But you would have to think that teams that operate in the red lose less by not operating.
Phoenix does, but I wouldn't be sure about the rest. Point is, everyone felt they weren't making much money under the old system. That's not the case now, and they seriously jeopardize that with a missed season.
Triumph36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #6389
TJay
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,624
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

I heard that it cost 12-30 million in operational costs/office salaries/keeping the lights on/etc. per team last lockout. Obviously not including opportunity cost.

I think it was the ex CLB GM on that brutal bob mccowen prime time radio/tv show that said this.
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #6390
sylar
Ivan Drago's homeslice
 
sylar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Znaroks fan club
Posts: 20,311
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

last lockout the problem was most teams were almost sure to go bankrupt if they even tried to compete with the big markets. the price of taking down detroit or colorado could easily be $40+m which was either all of their profit, or potentially meant going from making $20m to losing $20m. and the total revenue wasn't big enough for everyone to even consider a run at it. back then, the wealth of the owners was smaller too, though still a lot greater than in 1994. for example, ted leonsis was merely a millionaire after the dotcom bubble.

nowadays, everyone outside of ohio has these cup dreams, and can actually save a team if they do so (pittsburgh, anaheim, etc.). this makes it more of a crapshoot, but it's a good thing for the product.

if teams are losing money, they are still not all created equal. there are teams who own the buildings, and if there is no game, they can try to quickly book a concert or something, try to recoup the lost money. if they can't find an event for that date, they are **** out of luck. of course it is tricky when game schedules are not set.

then there are teams who are just tenants and are losing operating costs for staff PLUS rent. PLUS they are wasting a year of their lease, which either makes their current lease more expensive per game, or will make their next lease more expensive or reduces their leverage in arena negotiations (lolKatz).
sylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #6391
Hammerhands
Pooh-Bah
 
Hammerhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,987
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy Lee View Post
Enlarged hearts produce greater WIM. It's a ****ing fact.
So well done. 20,000 posts of experience.
Hammerhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #6392
TJay
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,624
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Goatdy Lee keeps this thread worth reading with or without hockey.
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #6393
Ketter
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 403
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay View Post
Goatdy Lee keeps this thread worth reading with or without hockey.


Would expect nothing less from a good ol' Canadian boy.

Ketter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #6394
Ketter
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 403
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
Phoenix does, but I wouldn't be sure about the rest. Point is, everyone felt they weren't making much money under the old system. That's not the case now, and they seriously jeopardize that with a missed season.
I guess I'm just wondering why, if they are making money, didn't they make more of an effort to get a deal done before the season started? They basically did nothing for months before finally coming out with the 50/50 offer.
Ketter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #6395
sylar
Ivan Drago's homeslice
 
sylar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Znaroks fan club
Posts: 20,311
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

say what you want about junior hockey, but this was a good game

sylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #6396
Hammerhands
Pooh-Bah
 
Hammerhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,987
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

I'm pumped about Lowry. He made a nifty touch pass off the boards on a breakout.

I'm still not happy about shootouts in intenational games. Call it the Czech effect.

The last game goes tonight from Victoria. I haven't seen the new arena.
Hammerhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #6397
sylar
Ivan Drago's homeslice
 
sylar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Znaroks fan club
Posts: 20,311
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Goddammit Nail! Way to disqualify yourself from the third period.
sylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #6398
sylar
Ivan Drago's homeslice
 
sylar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Znaroks fan club
Posts: 20,311
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

In your face Canada!
sylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #6399
Andy-Martin
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,951
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay View Post
Good ginger beef is also the greatest unhealthy food around. If you're ever in a western Canadian Chinese food restaurant, it's mandatory you order it.
Donairs though?
Andy-Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #6400
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,115
Re: Bettman Lockout III Thread (aka NHL Offseason: Now & Forever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar View Post
In your face Canada!
what happened.....did you invade or something?
72off is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive