Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Omaha/8 Discussions of Omaha High-Low Split (Eight or Better) Poker.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 AM   #1
oxie
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 104
Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

2 full tables left and we're in the money for min cash.
Blinds are 1250/2500

I'm UTG with ~100k.
I cover all but 2 stacks at the table, 1 in middle position, 1 in BB.

My hand: AsAcKcTc
I raise pot.
Everyone folds except BB who was chip leader and had been playing an extraordinary wide range with even more extraordinary results. 2 hands prior he called my all-in on a board of 2s5hKs holding AQQ4 no suits. We split that pot when my Ah3s6d8s made the low but missed the flush.

Flop 269 rainbow.
BB checks.

Feedback please on my pre-flop decision, and retrospective advice on the flop action.

(Sorry about the plain text explanation, but I can't figure out how to download ignition hands. If someone can advise me on that as well please, it would be greatly appreciated.)

Last edited by oxie; 06-13-2018 at 04:13 AM.
oxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
NLOmahaHL
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 57
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

Knowing the BB's "wide range and extraordinary results" you know a defend of the BB will be in order with any 4 cards.

Your hand has one knock to it, you had three to a suit.

I play on Bovada/Ignition and know the field of that tournament to be incredibly polar, i.e. you're running into a sound, rock type player or some NLHE player who misclick reg'd the tourney (seemingly).

You're gambling here, but in the right position, driving the pot.
If you're more cautious, you might save a few chips. Perhaps the BB hits the low board and makes a PSB. If that happens, you don't feel committed to the pot at all and you can relinquish your hand and move to the next opportunity.

Was BB playing scoop/hi-lo hybrid hands mostly?
NLOmahaHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
greybeard33
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 462
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

PF seems fine. Flop seems like easy checkback with ~40bbs.
greybeard33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
oxie
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 104
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOmahaHL View Post

I play on Bovada/Ignition and know the field of that tournament to be incredibly polar, i.e. you're running into a sound, rock type player or some NLHE player who misclick reg'd the tourney (seemingly).
Agreed. Either that or they're feeling the siren call of a 4 card game that plays 2 ways without adjusting the strength requirements. Love those folks.

Quote:
You're gambling here, but in the right position, driving the pot.
If you're more cautious, you might save a few chips. Perhaps the BB hits the low board and makes a PSB. If that happens, you don't feel committed to the pot at all and you can relinquish your hand and move to the next opportunity.
That's exactly what happened. He smashed the flop. But I wasn't cautious and went with it. But the blind squirrel did find the nut this time and that was it for me.

Quote:
Was BB playing scoop/hi-lo hybrid hands mostly?
BB was playing any 4 cards he was dealt mostly. I wasn't running Omaha Indicator, but it felt like he was in ~50% of pots.

In summary, this hand cost me a tourney I had done really well with zero mistakes to this point. I didn't give him credit for holding a premium low hand that connected to that board. He had A369.
oxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
oxie
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 104
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard33 View Post
PF seems fine. Flop seems like easy checkback with ~40bbs.
PG agreed, but maybe smaller bet?

Flop agreed... in hindsight. Sigh.
oxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
greybeard33
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 462
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxie View Post
PG agreed, but maybe smaller bet?



Flop agreed... in hindsight. Sigh.

Knowing that BB is going to come along 95% of the time, smaller is fine too of course. But against this player pool, I am never pushing high-only aces on a flop with 2 or 3 low cards unless one of the low cards is an ace.

His check also sets off alarm bells. CL is probably leading dry flop 75% of the time and c/r the other 25%. Maybe you will get super lucky and he is doing it with KKQT (which you block anyway) but I wouldn’t invest much to find out.

At least if you check flop you can hope for a decent turn card before putting any more chips in.
greybeard33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
amok
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: plotown
Posts: 1,937
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard33 View Post
His check also sets off alarm bells. CL is probably leading dry flop 75% of the time and c/r the other 25%. Maybe you will get super lucky and he is doing it with KKQT (which you block anyway) but I wouldn’t invest much to find out.
wtf
amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
greybeard33
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 462
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by amok View Post
wtf

Should have added “when they connect with flop”. Not implying they are betting/raising 100% of the time no matter the flop. But when flop hits his range better, I would expect it near 100% of the time.

So he leads 6www or T9wA or JJ/QQ/KKww but c/r his sets/2p/3A hands.

Maybe it’s closer to 50/50 but that only makes me more likely to check.
greybeard33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
amok
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: plotown
Posts: 1,937
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard33 View Post
Should have added “when they connect with flop”. Not implying they are betting/raising 100% of the time no matter the flop. But when flop hits his range better, I would expect it near 100% of the time.

So he leads 6www or T9wA or JJ/QQ/KKww but c/r his sets/2p/3A hands.

Maybe it’s closer to 50/50 but that only makes me more likely to check.
Hmm, I'd think pf-raiser has a range advantage on 962r. Leading stuff like JJ/QQ/KK or 9HHH seems just bad to me.

I agree to check back AAHH on this flop at this depth. I'd always getin say SPR=1 though.
amok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
greybeard33
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 462
Re: Ignition $30+3 tourney late stage hi only A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by amok View Post
Hmm, I'd think pf-raiser has a range advantage on 962r. Leading stuff like JJ/QQ/KK or 9HHH seems just bad to me.



I agree to check back AAHH on this flop at this depth. I'd always getin say SPR=1 though.


For posterity’s sake, I was wrong; pf-raiser does have a range advantage on flop. Agree with everything else.
greybeard33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online