Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #76
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,593
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

gregorio is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #77
Nittery
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 129
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 On Red View Post
Erm... you just quoted the American neo-Nazi and paedophile Kevin Strom. The quotation is often misattributed to Voltaire by neo-Nazi sympathisers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Alfred_Strom
Sorry, to be more clear:

You can't criticize the military-industrial complex, because they hold power over both parties in American politics.
Nittery is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #78
chymechowder
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chymechowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NR, MA
Posts: 9,585
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

so is this the thread to discuss Rashida Tlaib having written an op-ed for Farrakhan's "The Final Call" ?
chymechowder is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #79
Shuffle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Shuffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,110
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

That apology doesn't help her. First paragraph was great, but she should have stopped there. Plenty of other opportunities to come back against lobbyists.
Shuffle is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #80
Trolly McTrollson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 28,123
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
so is this the thread to discuss Rashida Tlaib having written an op-ed for Farrakhan's "The Final Call" ?
She sounds like she was pretty far ahead of the curve:

"Lost in the often-vitriolic national quarrel over immigration reform is any examination of proposed measures that would result in excessive punishment, such as detention and deportation, for the most minor offenses," she wrote. "Concern for 'national security' has introduced unprecedented insecurity to living in the United States as a legal permanent resident."
Trolly McTrollson is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #81
chymechowder
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chymechowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NR, MA
Posts: 9,585
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

also lolol at the disingenuous randy marsh from south park defense, "I thought this was America, what I can't be critical of AIPAC?"

omar wasn't just critical of aipac. she said that US members of congress support Israel BECAUSE THEY ARE PAID TO DO SO BY AIPAC.

there's a couple miles in between "just taking issue with some aipac policies" and what she flat out said. (good on her for apologizing after correctly getting called out by both sides.)
chymechowder is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #82
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 53,238
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
also lolol at the disingenuous randy marsh from south park defense, "I thought this was America, what I can't be critical of AIPAC?"

omar wasn't just critical of aipac. she said that US members of congress support Israel BECAUSE THEY ARE PAID TO DO SO BY AIPAC.

there's a couple miles in between "just taking issue with some aipac policies" and what she flat out said. (good on her for apologizing after correctly getting called out by both sides.)
If you support the Republicans, GTFO. Your party is rife with anti-semitism.

There's definitely anti-semitism in the Democratic party and among liberals, but it's pretty much impossible to be a Republican now without being an anti-semite. I cannot fathom how Republican Jews do it.
microbet is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #83
FlyWf
It's the other way
 
FlyWf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: [ ] REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE
Posts: 57,564
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotawerewolf View Post
I want to know why is she specifically blaming the tribe of Benjamin, though
In the spirit of Good Faith and Discourse and never once using anti-semitic tropes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotawerewolf View Post
Don't worry, you guys will get your pound of flesh from the guy sick enough to drive a car into a crowd of people.
Yeah, that's about James Fields.
FlyWf is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #84
Effen
CRAB
 
Effen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 100% less ****s given
Posts: 23,572
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

pls excise this non-AOC stuff somewhere else so some Very Serious And Not At All Scurrying Out From The Woodwork To Concern Troll Posters can discuss anti-Semitism on twitter.
Effen is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #85
FlyWf
It's the other way
 
FlyWf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: [ ] REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE
Posts: 57,564
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
also lolol at the disingenuous randy marsh from south park defense, "I thought this was America, what I can't be critical of AIPAC?"

omar wasn't just critical of aipac. she said that US members of congress support Israel BECAUSE THEY ARE PAID TO DO SO BY AIPAC.

there's a couple miles in between "just taking issue with some aipac policies" and what she flat out said. (good on her for apologizing after correctly getting called out by both sides.)
AIPAC literally does pay Congresspeople to support Israel. It's their mission statement. It's why people give them money.
FlyWf is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #86
Trolly McTrollson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 28,123
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWf View Post
In the spirit of Good Faith and Discourse and never once using anti-semitic tropes,



Yeah, that's about James Fields.
Sometimes I’m like “why is this guy on my ignore list?” and then someone like fly helpfully reminds me. Can we just get a blanket ban on POGers or something.
Trolly McTrollson is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #87
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,593
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
omar wasn't just critical of aipac. she said that US members of congress support Israel BECAUSE THEY ARE PAID TO DO SO BY AIPAC.
Glad you agree she was telling the truth, not really sure why you're upset.
gregorio is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #88
jman220
Interfectorem De Lupi
 
jman220's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under a Bridge
Posts: 12,849
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
also lolol at the disingenuous randy marsh from south park defense, "I thought this was America, what I can't be critical of AIPAC?"

omar wasn't just critical of aipac. she said that US members of congress support Israel BECAUSE THEY ARE PAID TO DO SO BY AIPAC.

there's a couple miles in between "just taking issue with some aipac policies" and what she flat out said. (good on her for apologizing after correctly getting called out by both sides.)
I really hate being on the same side of an issue as Chyme. That said, itís pretty clear the initial tweet about money *probably* didnít reference the measly 3.5 billion or whatever that AIPAC gives, especially when weighed against other groups, and *probably* was in fact a dig at all of us wealthy Jewish people pulling the strings behind the scenes like every other anti-Semitic trope since the beginning of time. That said, whatever, she apologized, and sheís in the party that isnít supported by literal nazis right now, so meh.
jman220 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #89
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,593
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Is it anti-Semitic to think Adelson is pulling some strings in the Trump administration, not behind the scenes, but in front of everyone's face?
gregorio is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #90
chymechowder
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chymechowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NR, MA
Posts: 9,585
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

walk it off, Jman, you’ll be ok
chymechowder is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #91
jman220
Interfectorem De Lupi
 
jman220's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under a Bridge
Posts: 12,849
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
Is it anti-Semitic to think Adelson is pulling some strings in the Trump administration, not behind the scenes, but in front of everyone's face?
If you think itís because heís Jewish, then yes, yes it is.
jman220 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #92
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 53,238
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotawerewolf View Post
I want to know why is she specifically blaming the tribe of Benjamin, though
I didn't see or don't remember the pound of flesh post. It's certainly in the running among the most anti-semitic posts on 2p2 I've ever seen.
microbet is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #93
OmgGlutten!
Pooh-Bah
 
OmgGlutten!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5,027
re: A thread for discussing whether the recent tweet of Ilhan Omar was antisemitic.

Quote:
omar wasn't just critical of aipac. she said that US members of congress support Israel BECAUSE THEY ARE PAID TO DO SO BY AIPAC.
yes, she left out adelson, the military industrial complex and the fact that their crazy religious constitutes want them to be Pro-Israel for very bad reasons.

why don't you put on your big boy pants Chyme and tell us in your own words why you think republicans support Israel and ****ing hate Palestine?
OmgGlutten! is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #94
Jiggymike
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Jiggymike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Approaching busto
Posts: 13,415
A thread for discussing the recent Antisemitic Tweet of Ilhan Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman220 View Post
I really hate being on the same side of an issue as Chyme. That said, itís pretty clear the initial tweet about money *probably* didnít reference the measly 3.5 billion or whatever that AIPAC gives, especially when weighed against other groups, and *probably* was in fact a dig at all of us wealthy Jewish people pulling the strings behind the scenes like every other anti-Semitic trope since the beginning of time. That said, whatever, she apologized, and sheís in the party that isnít supported by literal nazis right now, so meh.

Iím on the side that she probably meant it as a statement about money in politics and Israelís outsized influence on US policy but in any case it was a poorly worded tweet and she shouldnít have made it. As you say, though, Chyme doesnít get to come in here and tut tut the left when he fully supports our government separating families and throwing kids in cages.

The explicitly anti-Semitic tweet by McCarthy above is even more on the nose

Last edited by Jiggymike; 02-11-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Jiggymike is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #95
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35,593
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman220 View Post
If you think it’s because he’s Jewish, then yes, yes it is.
Who said it's because he's Jewish? That's the bad faith argument Zionists love to use against any criticism: whatever you say, we know you really only think that because he's Jewish/Israel is a Jewish state. Zionists intentionally muddy the waters between legitimate criticism of Israel and anti-Semitism. This not only silences good-faith discussion about Israel's heinous acts towards the Palestinian people and the motives behind the US's continued support of Israel in the face of such atrocities; it also gives cover to actual anti-Semitism by diluting the meaning of the term, allowing people to more easily attempt to dismiss legitimately anti-Semitic acts and statements.
gregorio is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #96
DeuceKicker
Pooh-Bah
 
DeuceKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Poker analogies are the nut low
Posts: 5,369
re: A thread for discussing whether the recent tweet of Ilhan Omar was antisemitic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggymike View Post
Iím on the side that she probably meant it as a statement about money in politics and Israelís outsized influence on US policy
I thought this was pretty much the consensus take, which makes the choice of thread title unfortunate.
DeuceKicker is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #97
jman220
Interfectorem De Lupi
 
jman220's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under a Bridge
Posts: 12,849
Re: "Get used to me slaying": The Journal of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
Who said it's because he's Jewish? That's the bad faith argument Zionists love to use against any criticism: whatever you say, we know you really only think that because he's Jewish/Israel is a Jewish state. Zionists intentionally muddy the waters between legitimate criticism of Israel and anti-Semitism. This not only silences good-faith discussion about Israel's heinous acts towards the Palestinian people and the motives behind the US's continued support of Israel in the face of such atrocities; it also gives cover to actual anti-Semitism by diluting the meaning of the term, allowing people to more easily attempt to dismiss legitimately anti-Semitic acts and statements.
I didnít say you said itís because he was Jewish. I was giving you an example of what would make your comment antisemitic.
jman220 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #98
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 53,238
re: A thread for discussing whether the recent tweet of Ilhan Omar was antisemitic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceKicker View Post
I thought this was pretty much the consensus take, which makes the choice of thread title unfortunate.
Agree. I don't think she meant any harm and I don't take offense. Like 2p2 politics is no big deal, but I don't think the thread title is fair (despite thinking it's fair to discuss the issue) and jman should change it.
microbet is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #99
OmgGlutten!
Pooh-Bah
 
OmgGlutten!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 5,027
re: A thread for discussing whether the recent tweet of Ilhan Omar was antisemitic.

thread title is tilting me.
OmgGlutten! is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #100
jman220
Interfectorem De Lupi
 
jman220's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under a Bridge
Posts: 12,849
re: A thread for discussing whether the recent tweet of Ilhan Omar was antisemitic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceKicker View Post
I thought this was pretty much the consensus take, which makes the choice of thread title unfortunate.
How so? She apologized for it, implicitly admitting that it was antisemitic. The thread title is appropriate.
jman220 is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online