Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics political discourse

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #201
BigPoppa
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
BigPoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Solitary,poor,nasty, brutish, short
Posts: 22,217
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

I am an old, but colleges definitely used to be regular stops for comics.


I saw Dennis Miller at Northwestern while he was on SNL. Sold out show, not very big venue.
BigPoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #202
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,271
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
I am an old, but colleges definitely used to be regular stops for comics.


I saw Dennis Miller at Northwestern while he was on SNL. Sold out show, not very big venue.
That's not what I mean though. I'm saying it isn't a tragedy if the environment on campus shifts to make it not worth doing a show there. Like, if the attitude shifted back, they would return. It's only a problem if administrators are saying they aren't allowed to do shows.
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #203
FoldnDark
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
FoldnDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louie
Posts: 11,939
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixticator View Post
Okay, but I'm saying that colleges are not obvious venues for entertainers to stop at while on tour. Avoiding them because there's too many people with sticks up their asses isn't a big deal - remember the part where I said that they also don't play at churches? Comedy clubs are places that exist. Concert halls are places that exist.

In think that's beside the point. I'm not crying for Seinfeld or Chris Rock. They'll make do. Comic's avoiding colleges is just one layer of evidence how people are currently learning to shove sticks in their asses and ears, and taking everything the wrong way instead of trying to understand each another.
FoldnDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #204
DeadMoneyWalking
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DeadMoneyWalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: BK is dead. Long live BK 2.0
Posts: 25,964
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicitus View Post
Regarding Breitbart's experience at Tulane:

"After high school, Breitbart attended Tulane, where he joined the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and drank and gambled away his parents’ money. rl]
so he'd fit in fine with poker players? I knew there was a reason why this is the only website that keeps mentioning him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca View Post
it might be using rise/drop the wrong way round which is kinda shameful on a gambling forum. he's gone from about 1.25 (80%) to 2.22 (45%) now on betfair is what i meant.
It could be as simple as Cruz victory in Wisconsin makes a contested convention 50%+ and in that scenario Trump is an unknown % to win it. I think a pre-convention deal being struck will be visible by watching the odds.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
Same reason TRUMP got so much airtime even when he was considered a no-hoper.

People saying outrageous crap is good for ratings, and gets your show attention from other shows.
While not really hot anymore, Coulter would be elite in the D ranks. There's just not much to look at on MSNBC.
DeadMoneyWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #205
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,271
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

I would submit that all of this is cyclical. Akin to another "Great Awakening." It just isn't religious in nature. The next generation will revolt against it, and so on. Happens all the time.
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #206
RollWave
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RollWave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PL Daily Action Thread
Posts: 12,276
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson View Post
I would assume these guys did gigs at large university venues back in the day, there's no real reason they couldn't continue to do so other than they've moved upmarket. I haven't followed this story, but I'm pretty sure it didn't play out with SJWs locking arms and barring Chris Rock from entering campus.
http://college.usatoday.com/2015/06/...cally-correct/

Chris Rock:
“I stopped playing colleges, and the reason is because they’re way too conservative,” Rock said in the interview. “Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of ‘We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.’ Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say ‘the black kid over there.’ No, it’s ‘the guy with the red shoes.’ You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.”

'upmarket' - If this is billing, some college venues can pay quite a lot of money to bring a name act, band, and/or speaker to campus.

These guys could still go there if they wanted. They don't want to. They don't think their acts will go over well. Or even if the act would go over well 9 times out of 10, they don't want to risk the possibility of getting bad press during that 10th time.
RollWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #207
[Phill]
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 52,513
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweep single View Post
Are you gonna neuter your male children?
Do continue
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #208
[Phill]
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 52,513
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
I, personally, hate the idea of students being expelled or even punished for speech; even idiotic speech. If someone wants to say "Hitler had some good ideas", let them. Then let people rip their idea to shreds. How do you think bad arguments are going to do when faced with better arguments?


Even good ideas can be made better by being exposed to disagreement. If you make no space for disagreement, then you make no space for growth or real learning.


The problem is that once you start punishing people for speech you don't like, you implicitly allow others to punish for speech they don't like. Maybe they label me calling "intelligent design" idiocy as hate speech and punish me accordingly.
This idea that good argument will overcome bad ideas would look a lot better in a different thread.
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #209
suzzer99
self-banned
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on top of the bell curve
Posts: 82,106
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

I saw PJ O'Rourke at Northeast Missouri State.
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #210
Trolly McTrollson
Under your bridges
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 20,335
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollWave View Post
These guys could still go there if they wanted. They don't want to. They don't think their acts will go over well. Or even if the act would go over well 9 times out of 10, they don't want to risk the possibility of getting bad press during that 10th time.
Does this even pass the smell test for you? A 90's comedian says he isn't doing shows because this generation of college students uniquely doesn't like comedy anymore, and your first reaction isn't sarcastic_jennifer_lawrence.gif?

Like, if Phish says they're going to retire because young people don't like getting high and listening to music, I'm not sure I buy that. Man, has there ever in human history been a "Kids these days!" pronouncement that wasn't just an oldster being full of bull****?
Trolly McTrollson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 PM   #211
Trolly McTrollson
Under your bridges
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 20,335
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

I know I personally have stopped banging college chicks because young people these days don't like sex anymore. Sad, really.
Trolly McTrollson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #212
RollWave
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RollWave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PL Daily Action Thread
Posts: 12,276
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

not watching cable news tonight, but msnbc has had a variety of cuties following the campaigns this election season and doing the remote analysis at the venues before the candidates come out on stage.
RollWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #213
[Phill]
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 52,513
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldnDark View Post
In think that's beside the point. I'm not crying for Seinfeld or Chris Rock. They'll make do. Comic's avoiding colleges is just one layer of evidence how people are currently learning to shove sticks in their asses and ears, and taking everything the wrong way instead of trying to understand each another.
Maybe the lesson is don't tell rape jokes or jokes about bearing women if you are not at the level of Amy Schumer. If you can't get away with those jokes you are not doing them correctly.

Put another way, no one is kicking Maria Bamford out of a campus gig. If you can't play to an audience you are either a terrible comic or you need a better manager to book you the right audience.
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #214
RollWave
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RollWave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PL Daily Action Thread
Posts: 12,276
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Phill] View Post
Maybe the lesson is don't tell rape jokes or jokes about bearing women if you are not at the level of Amy Schumer. If you can't get away with those jokes you are not doing them correctly.

Put another way, no one is kicking Maria Bamford out of a campus gig. If you can't play to an audience you are either a terrible comic or you need a better manager to book you the right audience.
that's sort of the whole point. the right audience - many comics have decided that this is not on college campuses so thats why they dont book there anymore.

Nobody is saying they are getting kicked off campus. They are choosing not to play there.
RollWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #215
FoldnDark
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
FoldnDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louie
Posts: 11,939
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Phill] View Post
Maybe the lesson is don't tell rape jokes or jokes about bearing women if you are not at the level of Amy Schumer. If you can't get away with those jokes you are not doing them correctly.

Put another way, no one is kicking Maria Bamford out of a campus gig. If you can't play to an audience you are either a terrible comic or you need a better manager to book you the right audience.
I get it, Seinfield and Chris Rock just aren't funny anymore. They're all washed up.

Quote:
In a way, comedians who make racist jokes and then complain about being asked to play it safe for audiences overthink the matter. Audiences aren’t being sensitive—your old joke just isn’t funny anymore.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...nd-comedy.html

I guess we can mark Amy Shumer off the funny list too.
FoldnDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:27 PM   #216
[Phill]
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 52,513
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollWave View Post
that's sort of the whole point. the right audience - many comics have decided that this is not on college campuses so thats why they dont book there anymore.

Nobody is saying they are getting kicked off campus. They are choosing not to play there.
Right so we all agree audience tastes change and entertainers should play to those tastes. So I'm not seeing any problem at all.

I also wasn't being literal about being kicked out of a college gig.
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #217
[Phill]
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 52,513
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldnDark View Post
I get it, Seinfield and Chris Rock just aren't funny anymore. They're all washed up.


http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...nd-comedy.html

I guess we can mark Amy Shumer off the funny list too.
In the views of that one guardian writer I guess so. She is also hugely popular amongst minorities and women and I am sure would be hugely supported at any college anywhere so I don't really get what your point is.

No one is saying tell a joke everyone will like. They are saying entertain you audience.

Also whoever is telling Chris Rock how bad college gigs are has probably either been doing the same routine since he met Rock on the circuit thirty years ago or a never will be who was never funny like his brother who wanted to be edgy and forgot to be funny.
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #218
FoldnDark
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
FoldnDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louie
Posts: 11,939
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

My point is about sticks in asses. That's not where they belong.
FoldnDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #219
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,271
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollWave View Post
that's sort of the whole point. the right audience - many comics have decided that this is not on college campuses so thats why they dont book there anymore.

Nobody is saying they are getting kicked off campus. They are choosing not to play there.
And.......

What?
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 PM   #220
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,271
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldnDark View Post
My point is about sticks in asses. That's not where they belong.
Your point is "kids these days!"... that isn't very interesting.

What am I missing?
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #221
FoldnDark
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
FoldnDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louie
Posts: 11,939
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixticator View Post
Your point is "kids these days!"... that isn't very interesting.

What am I missing?
Actually, it's normally olds with their staunchly religious morality getting worked up and trying to censor crap, but I assume you won't disagree there. So we're stuck arguing about those darn kids these days, and anyone else with a stick fetish.
FoldnDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 AM   #222
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,271
Re: A Safe Space to Discuss Safe Spaces

Not always. There's been a ton of generations that were more conservative than the previous generation throughout history, even recently. I don't mean politically conservative.
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #223
Trolly McTrollson
Under your bridges
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 20,335
Re: Who Will Be The 2016 Republican Nominee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldnDark View Post
Actually, it's normally olds with their staunchly religious morality getting worked up and trying to censor crap, but I assume you won't disagree there. So we're stuck arguing about those darn kids these days, and anyone else with a stick fetish.
Nah, bruv. This is 100% oldsters bitching because kids these days don't like the things they used to like back in the day. Chris Rock isn't playing at U-Wisconsin, so... it's the moral decay of America?

Like, remember, this was your only go-to example of how SJWs are running amok and destroying the mission of higher institutions of learning. Well, aside from **** you shamelessly made up about Great Gatsby book bannings. We spent 20 pages asking you for a clear example of how safespaces are destroying America and all you've got is... Jerry Seinfeld deciding not to play at venues that aren't digging his style?


Man, I just don't know how future generations will proceed without the timeless wisdom of 90's standup.

Or to put it more eloquently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixticator View Post
And.......

What?
Trolly McTrollson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #224
FoldnDark
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
FoldnDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louie
Posts: 11,939
Re: A Safe Space to Discuss Safe Spaces

Lol, you haven't read any if the articles I posted with plenty more ridiculous examples. You completely ignored everything Obama has to say. Instead you pick and choose what to nit pick about while doing a piss poor job defending censorship and assstickery.
FoldnDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #225
goofyballer
 
goofyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 59,787
Re: A Safe Space to Discuss Safe Spaces

Isn't Louis CK wildly popular these days? How does he do with the kids? Because he says tons of offensive things.
goofyballer is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online