Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics political discourse

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #76
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 43,746
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuluck414 View Post
Ive been doing some reading about the planned protests in my area, they are calling for a shutdown of highways and interstates.

What is the legal recourse for getting them out of the way when I'm trying to get home from work?
How do you propose doing it?
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #77
fuluck414
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,912
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
How do you propose doing it?
I don't know, that's why I'm asking, I'm assuming there has got to be a law about obstructing highways.

I'm guessing I can't just idle my truck and hope they move.
fuluck414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #78
maxtower
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
maxtower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,732
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

They're going to have to stop working for more than 1 day to have an impact.
maxtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #79
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The radical left
Posts: 19,184
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuluck414 View Post
I don't know, that's why I'm asking, I'm assuming there has got to be a law about obstructing highways.

I'm guessing I can't just idle my truck and hope they move.
Your legal recourse is to call the police and ask them to remove the protesters, which they will attempt to do anyway, whether you call them or not. Their success or failure will depend on the number, tactics and commitment of protesters.
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #80
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The radical left
Posts: 19,184
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Jennifer Holliday Decides Not to Sing for Trump After Opposition

Quote:
Jennifer Holliday, the Tony-award winning singer who on Friday said she planned to sing at an inauguration-related welcome concert next week, on Saturday changed her mind, citing opposition to her appearance from the gay and lesbian community.
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #81
SuperUberBob
Not interesting enough
 
SuperUberBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 40,740
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

I'm predicting a Tiananmen Square response from Trump once he's inaugurated.
SuperUberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #82
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 43,746
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuluck414 View Post
I don't know, that's why I'm asking, I'm assuming there has got to be a law about obstructing highways.

I'm guessing I can't just idle my truck and hope they move.
You should turn off the engine. You'll be there for a while. Maybe bring a book.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #83
SuperUberBob
Not interesting enough
 
SuperUberBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 40,740
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtower View Post
They're going to have to stop working for more than 1 day to have an impact.
They have to protest the way the South Koreans have against their President:



2.3 million people protesting in Seoul. Absolutely insane.
SuperUberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #84
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 43,746
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUberBob View Post
I'm predicting a Tiananmen Square response from Trump once he's inaugurated.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #85
fuluck414
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,912
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
You should turn off the engine. You'll be there for a while. Maybe bring a book.
That's one thing I'm never short of, plenty of books on my phone.
fuluck414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #86
Morphismus
Gimperator
 
Morphismus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: in you heads
Posts: 14,071
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Chances that Trump ignites a communist revolution in the US?
Morphismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #87
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 43,746
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphismus View Post
Chances that Trump ignites a communist revolution in the US?
miniscule.

Balkanization is unlikely but still more likely than a communist revolution.

A coup is more likely than either.

imo.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #88
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The radical left
Posts: 19,184
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbet View Post
I'm nowhere near that brave. I booked an early train home to avoid the worst of it.
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #89
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The radical left
Posts: 19,184
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikzak View Post
Named gathering locations for D.C. on Friday the 20th, Inauguration Day:

McPherson Square - All day, per #DisruptJ20

Columbus Circle - 6:00 - 10:00 AM, followed by a march, per Workers World

Dupont Circle - 8:00 - 10:00 AM, followed by a march, per lol stoners

Logan Circle - 10:00 AM, unclear per who

Adding MOAR. Can't be arsed to update the map. Malcolm X Park is north of the White House. Freedom Plaza is immediately east.

Malcolm X Park - 9:30 - 12:30, followed by a march, per Occupy

Freedom Plaza - 7:00 - ???, per ANSWER Coalition. They have 24,500 RSVP's so far.
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #90
wahoo3
veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 2,713
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuluck414 View Post
Ive been doing some reading about the planned protests in my area, they are calling for a shutdown of highways and interstates.

What is the legal recourse for getting them out of the way when I'm trying to get home from work?
what they're doing is illegal, and they'll mostly end up arrested, but that isn't going to help you at the time. your best option is to not get stuck behind them in the first place. it seems like it would obviously be illegal to drive through protesters, but i think slowly driving through protesters would basically never result in you being charged with a crime, but you're obviously exposing yourself to that risk, especially if someone gets injured.

i'm not really sure if i'd have the balls to do it, but i think i'd be comfortable attempting a slow drive through. of course if someone dives under my tires i'm giving it up, but i think 99%+ people just push on the hood for a sec and then jump aside.

Last edited by wahoo3; 01-14-2017 at 06:17 PM.
wahoo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #91
fuluck414
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,912
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo3 View Post
what they're doing is illegal, and they'll mostly end up arrested, but that isn't going to help you at the time. your best option is to not get stuck behind them in the first place. it seems like it would obviously be illegal to drive through protesters, but i think slowly driving through protesters would basically never result in you being charged with a crime, but you're obviously exposing yourself to that risk, especially if someone gets injured.

i'm not really sure if i'd have the balls to do it, but i think i'd be comfortable attempting a slow drive through. of course if someone dives under my tires i'm giving it up, but i think 99%+ people just push on the hood for a sec and then jump aside.
I would love not to get stuck behind them, problem is some of us have to work. Can't just take a day off.
fuluck414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #92
Shame Trolly !!!1!
Neo-Gorean
 
Shame Trolly !!!1!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dhimmi EcoWarrior for ISIS
Posts: 4,610
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuluck414 View Post
... What is the legal recourse for getting them out of the way when I'm trying to get home from work?
Your legal recourse is calling the cops.

People on a freeway is a citable offense, not a criminal offense. Like Jaywalking. You're not a cop. You can't legally do shiz about this stuff.

Using violence, including using, or threatening to use, a vehicle, is a felony.
Shame Trolly !!!1! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #93
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 43,746
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

My only arrest is for blocking the Bay Bridge. It was a citable offense, but we got time served (like 5 hours) and no fine.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #94
Original Position
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Original Position's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,701
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson View Post
I've never really been involved directly in politics, but that's definitely going to change. I'm going to write to every congresscritter who represents me and look into volunteering. I'm not gonna tell future generations that I just sat on my hands and let these imbeciles destroy my country.
If you want to do this and be listened to, pick an issue that you are familiar with or get familiar with a particular issue. Then, write to the staffer directly that works on that policy issue about legislation regarding that issue. The best thing to do is pick an issue that you think is particularly relevant to your district as well, so your Congressperson can explain to the whip that local interests are a factor in their vote.
Original Position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #95
Regret$
burnt out
 
Regret$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,445
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson View Post
I've never really been involved directly in politics, but that's definitely going to change. I'm going to write to every congresscritter who represents me and look into volunteering. I'm not gonna tell future generations that I just sat on my hands and let these imbeciles destroy my country.
GL and all, but emails asking for money will easily 20x ones asking for phone volunteers
Regret$ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #96
Original Position
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Original Position's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,701
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regret$ View Post
GL and all, but emails asking for money will easily 20x ones asking for phone volunteers
Not sure what you mean here, but unpaid volunteers are probably more effective than professional phone banks for GOTV. But if you are volunteering for a campaign, door-to-door canvassing is still the best.
Original Position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #97
wahoo3
veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 2,713
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shame Trolly !!!1! View Post
Your legal recourse is calling the cops.

People on a freeway is a citable offense, not a criminal offense. Like Jaywalking. You're not a cop. You can't legally do shiz about this stuff.

Using violence, including using, or threatening to use, a vehicle, is a felony.
except people have driven through protesters, a bunch, and i can only find one who was charged with a crime, and he hit 5 people and broke a woman's pelvis. and he was charged with misdemeanor provoking an assault, punishable by a fine of not more than $500.
wahoo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #98
Regret$
burnt out
 
Regret$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,445
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Position View Post
Not sure what you mean here, but unpaid volunteers are probably more effective than professional phone banks for GOTV. But if you are volunteering for a campaign, door-to-door canvassing is still the best.
My point is they do not want you to volunteer, they want your money.
Regret$ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:33 AM   #99
leavesofliberty
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,765
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Internet memes.
leavesofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:36 AM   #100
Original Position
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Original Position's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 6,701
Re: The Resistance: Actvism, protests and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regret$ View Post
My point is they do not want you to volunteer, they want your money.
Find your local state assemblyperson or city councilperson. I'm pretty confident they would love to have you volunteer on their races and you'll have much more opportunity to do more interesting things like write articles, research legislation, fundraising, etc. Join your local party club or committee and start endorsing candidates.

There are lots of useful volunteering that can be done in politics, just most of it is on the local level.
Original Position is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online