Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #1101
superleeds
Pooh-Bah
 
superleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ooh, you lucky bastard
Posts: 4,119
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmakin View Post
When I made ~$17k/year my refund was about $1500, lol. If your income is less than 30k you would be (with the old way at least) be paying basically 0 income tax and get most of it back at the end of the year. So yea it wouldn't surprise me if people are getting 3-5k back @ $30k/year income if they were moronic or ignorant with the way they set up their deductions.
OK fair enough. And lol at me as I do use this as a little windfall (usually around 2k) because I know it would be money I'd just waste on **** otherwise. Yes yes I know its dumb. But as a percentage of my annual its way less than the %'s you tax pros are putting up here so I'll concede to your expert knowledge.
superleeds is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #1102
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,306
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

I think we need to establish some common ground. First of all does anyone argue any of these things is NOT true?
  1. $5B is mostly a symbolic # that will barely break ground on a tiny section of wall
  2. Trump himself does not care about a wall - only about not pissing off his supporters
  3. Higher functioning members of Trump's base, and propagandists like Ann Coulter also realize the $5B is mostly symbolic - but approve of the message it sends
  4. Country Club/moderate suburban Republicans don't care about a wall either way
  5. Democrats of course realize the $5B is a symbolic win for Trump, which they have the power to deny
  6. Almost none of Trump's base knows what the border actually looks like right now
  7. Trump probably can't go to Mar-a-Lago or golf until this is over due to terrible optics (although nothing would shock me)
  8. The National Parks are very popular
suzzer99 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #1103
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,306
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namath12 View Post
A lot of it will depend on where you live, but they got rid of deductions with the new tax law and then doubled the standard deduction. Take home pay rose for me by like ~$50 a week I think? But my refund is going to be roughly half of what it usually is (you can get an estimate of your refund here).

Usually I've already done my taxes by now, I use my last check stub of the year rather than waiting for my W2 and then just submit to the IRS once they start accepting them, refund is normally paid out by Feb 1st but obviously won't happen this year if things keep going.
This was my entire point during that stupid tax cut. Someone's take home pay went up because they kept claiming the same allowances while the law changed. But if their refund is lower they'd never know because it's just some big magic number the IRS pulls out of a hat every year. And it always feels good because it's something.

And even that is ****ing temporary. Republicans are evil geniuses.
suzzer99 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #1104
goofyballer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
goofyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 70,901
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Lamar Alexander (R-TN) writes in an op-ed that Trump should be more like Obama in working with legislators

Not bad trolling

Quote:
In the summer of 2015, President Barack Obama invited Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) and me to meet with him at the White House. She is the ranking Democrat on the Senateís education committee, and I am its chairman. Our conversation that day in the Oval Office offers a lesson for resolving the current partial government shutdown.
Quote:
What is the lesson in that story for today? First, Democrats should recognize now, as I did with Obama in 2015, that if an elected president has a legitimate objective, they should bend over backward to accommodate it ó if they want a result. As for President Trump, he should be specific and reliable, as Obama was in 2015 when he told us he needed three things, and, after Congress passed legislation that included the presidentís requests, he signed the bill into law.
goofyballer is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #1105
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55,869
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
This was my entire point during that stupid tax cut. Someone's take home pay went up because they kept claiming the same allowances while the law changed. But if their refund is lower they'd never know because it's just some big magic number the IRS pulls out of a hat every year. And it always feels good because it's something.

And even that is ****ing temporary. Republicans are evil geniuses.
I haven't verified this but I've read that people in the Northeast who are subject to state and local taxes will actually see an INCREASE because those can't be deducted anymore.

Hell, even Dubya went to the trouble of having Treasury send out $600 checks to everyone when his tax cut passed to make it at least look good for the working man.

It's a true **** story.
Namath12 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #1106
jmakin
DoorDash Balla
 
jmakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Streaming
Posts: 29,690
The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: Individual 1, Thread 2, Year 3

My income nearly tripled in the last year, iíll be honest i have no ****ing idea what to even expect from my refund. Half of 2018 was on my old income and the other half on the new. So i expect a fat one
jmakin is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #1107
TheHip41
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TheHip41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 26,955
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth_floyd View Post
How is someone getting a $6k refund on a salary of $30k a year? Did they pick every single deduction in existence?


Earned income credit

Refundable child tax credit
TheHip41 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #1108
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55,869
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmakin View Post
My income nearly tripled in the last year, iíll be honest i have no ****ing idea what to even expect from my refund
If you click on that link above and fill in the numbers you can get a decent idea if you have your last pay stub of the year. There are other free calculators out there too I just always use the IRS one.
Namath12 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #1109
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55,869
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHip41 View Post
Earned income credit

Refundable child tax credit
Yep, plus child & dependent care expenses, student loan interest, etc. There were lots of little things that added up.
Namath12 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #1110
jmakin
DoorDash Balla
 
jmakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Streaming
Posts: 29,690
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namath12 View Post
If you click on that link above and fill in the numbers you can get a decent idea if you have your last pay stub of the year. There are other free calculators out there too I just always use the IRS one.


I ninja edited, yea i know how to calculate it, i just havent bothered to look. And iím saying if iím this ignorant of it, guaranteed trumpies are too
jmakin is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #1111
TheHip41
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TheHip41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 26,955
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmakin View Post
My income nearly tripled in the last year, iíll be honest i have no ****ing idea what to even expect from my refund. Half of 2018 was on my old income and the other half on the new. So i expect a fat one


If you relied on SALT deductions last year, ie, had 40k sitting on schedule A

You are losing a lot of that relief

But. Lower tax brackets with larger brackets



So you will prob pay less compared to what you would have under 17 tax law.
TheHip41 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #1112
bobman0330
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bobman0330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 24,272
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleeds View Post
OK fair enough. And lol at me as I do use this as a little windfall (usually around 2k) because I know it would be money I'd just waste on **** otherwise. Yes yes I know its dumb. But as a percentage of my annual its way less than the %'s you tax pros are putting up here so I'll concede to your expert knowledge.
Why don't you just set up an autodraft to put $100 per pay period into an online savings account? You won't have the money burning a whole in your pocket, and you'll make a couple hundred bucks in interest every year. Hell, take $200 a year and then owe the IRS money when you file.
bobman0330 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #1113
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,306
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namath12 View Post
I haven't verified this but I've read that people in the Northeast who are subject to state and local taxes will actually see an INCREASE because those can't be deducted anymore.

Hell, even Dubya went to the trouble of having Treasury send out $600 checks to everyone when his tax cut passed to make it at least look good for the working man.

It's a true **** story.
Trump will probably try to figure out a way to send $1000 rebates to everyone who voted for him.
suzzer99 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #1114
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55,869
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmakin View Post
I ninja edited, yea i know how to calculate it, i just havent bothered to look. And i’m saying if i’m this ignorant of it, guaranteed trumpies are too
Agreed. I absolutely expect some sticker shock from people who are used to getting big refunds when their H&R Block guy tells them they're only getting $1,000. Like suzzer mentioned, most barely noticed the slight bump in take home pay throughout the year because of how small it is. (Mine was more than offset by an increase in health insurance costs fwiw)
Namath12 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #1115
Noze
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Noze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: A League
Posts: 25,712
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Looks like we found out how TSA employees are going to deal with the shutdown: by not showing up to work.
Noze is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #1116
d10
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
d10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: I fly better than I drive
Posts: 7,488
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by +rep_lol View Post
lol no it's not! this whole thing started because trump is making an unreasonable and unpopular demand. if dems try to counter by also making unreasonable demands, then they become just as guilty of obstructing the process and the bothsides'ism continues the same as it ever was
-rep is trying to slip the bolded by because deep down he understands that the key to turning a negotiation into a political win is to force the Republicans to block popular demands. It was not a mistake or abbreviation on his part to describe the Republican demands in terms of both reasonableness and popularity while subtly holding Democrat proposals to a different standard. He's reframing the argument so that people who overlook the shift are more likely to believe that he has a reasonable argument. He only cares about winning the debate though, not about developing a consensus on the issues through a good faith discussion. He's not worth engaging.

Also I should point out this is the generous interpretation. The other option is that he has no idea what he's talking about. His highlights over the last page are emphatically denying making strawman arguments, then making the strawiest of arguments in all caps in the very next sentence, and playing dumb regarding the legislative process as if a clean CR -> negotiated funding bill for the wall + huge Democratic priorities is impossible or somehow a loss for Democrats if the negotiated bill never happens and it ends with a clean CR. Of course if this is the case he's still not worth engaging.
d10 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #1117
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55,869
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman0330 View Post
Why don't you just set up an autodraft to put $100 per pay period into an online savings account? You won't have the money burning a whole in your pocket, and you'll make a couple hundred bucks in interest every year. Hell, take $200 a year and then owe the IRS money when you file.
This is ideal.
Namath12 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #1118
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,306
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namath12 View Post
Agreed. I absolutely expect some sticker shock from people who are used to getting big refunds when their H&R Block guy tells them they're only getting $1,000. Like suzzer mentioned, most barely noticed the slight bump in take home pay throughout the year because of how small it is. (Mine was more than offset by an increase in health insurance costs fwiw)
Hardcore Trumpites will just blame Democrats.
suzzer99 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #1119
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55,869
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noze View Post
Looks like we found out how TSA employees are going to deal with the shutdown: by not showing up to work.
I thought we outlawed slavery a while ago butnahhh you have to be at work and we'll maybe get around to paying you at some point

Namath12 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #1120
superleeds
Pooh-Bah
 
superleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ooh, you lucky bastard
Posts: 4,119
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman0330 View Post
Why don't you just set up an autodraft to put $100 per pay period into an online savings account? You won't have the money burning a whole in your pocket, and you'll make a couple hundred bucks in interest every year. Hell, take $200 a year and then owe the IRS money when you file.
Simple answer, I'm a lazy ****er.

Longer answer, Interest on a couple of Grand going into a savings account over the year ain't $200, nearer $20.

Last edited by superleeds; 01-04-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: actually probably nearer $2
superleeds is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #1121
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55,869
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/polit...ing/index.html

Quote:
Washington (CNN)Hundreds of Transportation Security Administration officers, who are required to work without paychecks through the partial government shutdown, have called out from work this week from at least four major airports, according to two senior agency officials and three TSA employee union officials.

The mass call outs could inevitably mean air travel is less secure, especially as the shutdown enters its second week with no clear end to the political stalemate in sight.
"This will definitely affect the flying public who we (are) sworn to protect," Hydrick Thomas, president of the national TSA employee union, told CNN.

At New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, as many as 170 TSA employees have called out each day this week, Thomas tells CNN. Officers from a morning shift were required to work extra hours to cover the gaps.

Call outs have increased by 200%-300% at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, where typically 25 to 30 TSA employees call out from an average shift according to a local TSA official familiar with the situation.

Union officials stress that the absences are not part of an organized action, but believe the number of people calling out will likely increase.
Namath12 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #1122
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55,869
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleeds View Post
Simple answer, I'm a lazy ****er.

Longer answer, Interest on a couple of Grand going into a savings account over the year ain't $200, nearer $20.
True but putting it in your mattress would be better than letting uncle sam hold it for free.

I guess the mattress could catch fire though but gubmint seems to already be on fire.
Namath12 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #1123
realDonaldTrump
WITCH HUNT!
 
realDonaldTrump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Golfing at Mar-a-Lago
Posts: 2,921
realDonaldTrump is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #1124
crimedopay420
grinder
 
crimedopay420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 466
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
I think we need to establish some common ground. First of all does anyone argue any of these things is NOT true?
  1. $5B is mostly a symbolic # that will barely break ground on a tiny section of wall
  2. Trump himself does not care about a wall - only about not pissing off his supporters
  3. Higher functioning members of Trump's base, and propagandists like Ann Coulter also realize the $5B is mostly symbolic - but approve of the message it sends
  4. Country Club/moderate suburban Republicans don't care about a wall either way
  5. Democrats of course realize the $5B is a symbolic win for Trump, which they have the power to deny
  6. Almost none of Trump's base knows what the border actually looks like right no
  7. Trump probably can't go to Mar-a-Lago or golf until this is over due to terrible optics (although nothing would shock me)
  8. The National Parks are very popular
You could be wrong about number 2. I think a lot of his BS starts out as a lie but then his NPD takes over and he ends up believing it. Especially when Hannity keeps repeating the lie every night. Also he could put his name on that wall in big gold letters. How could he not want that?
crimedopay420 is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #1125
bobman0330
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bobman0330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 24,272
re: The Presidency of Donald J. Trump: State of Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleeds View Post
Simple answer, I'm a lazy ****er.

Longer answer, Interest on a couple of Grand going into a savings account over the year ain't $200, nearer $20.
Fair point!
bobman0330 is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive