Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #1026
metaname2
self-banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,996
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
I dunno goodie, that time you got all CONFIRMED FURIOUS that there are people out there that love their dogs because you don't understand basic human psychology was the greatest exchange in the history of the internet
Enjoying the thread, but I couldn't let that slide by.
metaname2 is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #1027
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
What about them?

I'm not sure if you knew this, but there are already private schools. A lot of them provide decent education for less than what public schools spend per student.

There are already private firefighters that fill in gaps where state provided ones fail. And before firefighters were made municipal employees, there were both volunteer fire departments and professional fire departments funded via insurance-type arrangements.

Similarly, before doctors unions got the government to start mucking with healthcare, there was extremely affordable healthcare through voluntary friendly societies that worked basically like group health insuance works today, only it wasn't tied to your employer.

There are all sorts of private solutions to whatever problem you can come up with. The fact that you haven't thought about it isn't really relevant or interesting.
Uh oh, PVN. Looks like you just outlined a plan. Oh, the humanity.

I'm on board with all of this.
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #1028
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

That's not a plan. That's an observation of what people have done in the past.
 
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #1029
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
That's not a plan. That's an observation of what people have done in the past.
So, you don't think we should do any of those things?
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #1030
auralex14
old hand
 
auralex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,910
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

This thread has gone full ******
auralex14 is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #1031
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
So, you don't think we should do any of those things?
We who?

Go try whatever you want.
 
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #1032
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
We who?

Go try whatever you want.
Why do you have to be so difficult?

Do you think that the society you live in should implement the scenerios you described re privitization?
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #1033
Huehuecoyotl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Huehuecoyotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: It's hard to get by on a smile
Posts: 29,115
.
Huehuecoyotl is online now  
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #1034
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
Why do you have to be so difficult?

Do you think that the society you live in should implement the scenerios you described re privitization?
I don't see how I'm being difficult, you're asking if "we" "should" do X and I don't know who we is or what basis you are using to make subjective normative determination such as whether something "should" be done or not.

I mean, you might as well ask me if "society" should watch The Bachelor or Iron Chef. I dunno, man, watch whatever you want.
 
Old 07-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #1035
grizy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
grizy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,895
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Iron Chef, 100%.
grizy is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #1036
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
I don't see how I'm being difficult, you're asking if "we" "should" do X and I don't know who we is or what basis you are using to make subjective normative determination such as whether something "should" be done or not.

I mean, you might as well ask me if "society" should watch The Bachelor or Iron Chef. I dunno, man, watch whatever you want.
Do you think that the society you live in should implement the scenerios you described re: privitization?
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #1037
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
Do you think that the society you live in should implement the scenerios you described re: privitization?
I dunno. Didn't I just say that? For someone who gets the INSANE RAGE like you do about other people's reading comprehension you sure need a lot of stuff repeated.
 
Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #1038
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

"should"?

Should society have super jock dads that are obsessed with their kids playing FOOTBALL or BASEBALL???

WE NEED A PLAN!!!!
 
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #1039
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?



Not sure what to do next. GOOODIE HELP ME MAKE A PLAN
 
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #1040
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
What about them?

I'm not sure if you knew this, but there are already private schools. A lot of them provide decent education for less than what public schools spend per student.

There are already private firefighters that fill in gaps where state provided ones fail. And before firefighters were made municipal employees, there were both volunteer fire departments and professional fire departments funded via insurance-type arrangements.

Similarly, before doctors unions got the government to start mucking with healthcare, there was extremely affordable healthcare through voluntary friendly societies that worked basically like group health insuance works today, only it wasn't tied to your employer.

There are all sorts of private solutions to whatever problem you can come up with. The fact that you haven't thought about it isn't really relevant or interesting.
So, why did you mention all these things? You don't think any of these things should happen?
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #1041
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

wat

I mentioned them because you were having a mental block and didn't believe that anyone even had any idea if any of those things COULD happen without government.

whether something CAN happen is different than what SHOULD happen.

 
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #1042
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
wat

I mentioned them because you were having a mental block and didn't believe that anyone even had any idea if any of those things COULD happen without government.

whether something CAN happen is different than what SHOULD happen.

Do you think things should change in this country?
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #1043
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hither, Yon
Posts: 22,236
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post


Not sure what to do next. GOOODIE HELP ME MAKE A PLAN
First step is to ditch the Pentium 4 and upgrade to a newer release of the game.
zikzak is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #1044
DblBarrelJ
2+2 Resident Enforcer
 
DblBarrelJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Latex glove wearin homophobe
Posts: 13,857
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

They still make that game?
DblBarrelJ is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #1045
bobman0330
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bobman0330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 24,272
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikzak View Post
First step is to ditch the Pentium 4 and upgrade to a newer release of the game.
More like a Pentium II, perhaps with MMX Technology
bobman0330 is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #1046
metaname2
self-banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,996
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

What about people who make or review video games for a living. Does that get taxed or what?
metaname2 is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #1047
tomdemaine
Just tries harder
 
tomdemaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Social Justice Rogue
Posts: 20,071
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblBarrelJ View Post
They still make that game?
New one in production

http://www.simcity.com/en_US
tomdemaine is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #1048
grizy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
grizy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,895
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaname2 View Post
What about people who make or review video games for a living. Does that get taxed or what?
Definitely. Those guys are utterly miserable.

Turns out, having to play a game you absolutely hate for 10~40 hours to write a review isn't very fun.

That's not even the worst of it. A lot of them are "testers" whose job is to play incomplete games over and over and over and over providing feedback and hunting bugs for developers.
grizy is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #1049
AlexM
ignored
 
AlexM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hate cannot drive out hate
Posts: 20,655
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
I should have been more clear. I'm not going to get into a discussion about what taxes should pay for. Obviously because it's an insanely long discussion that's useless for my argument.

However, you do realize that taxes pay for many things that I would guess more than 95% of the public want (roads, police, fire etc.) I'm sure.

So, what I meant was that everyone has something that they want that taxes pay for.

Sorry, that wasn't clear.
I don't give a damn about stuff handled at the city level. I really only care about federal taxes.
AlexM is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #1050
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
Do you think things should change in this country?
wtf dude, you're the one who said you didn't want to get into a discussion of particular policies.
 

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive