Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #801
metaname2
self-banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,996
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
You're my hero.
I for one am interested in hearing more about Goodie's tax free gambling winnings initiative. Do you not believe in income taxes all together, or are you really think that gambling income deserves a special exemption?
metaname2 is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #802
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaname2 View Post
I for one am interested in hearing more about Goodie's tax free gambling winnings initiative. Do you not believe in income taxes all together, or are you really think that gambling income deserves a special exemption?
Gambling income deserves a special exemption. I believe in income tax.
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #803
metaname2
self-banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,996
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesAx View Post
Freedom of speech: rome or earlier
Political dissent: ancient greece
Telecommunication: germany
Leisure time: what the good life in greece was all about
I was talking about modern dissent and leisure time. Not the classic style. It's too bad that you Euros didn't invent gratitude imo.

Quote:
What do you think happens if somebody badmouthes luxembourg?
LOL, I don't know and I am not about to find out.
metaname2 is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #804
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
Ummm, Yeah. That's what I said. The first time. Like three pages ago.

What were you arguing about?
So you agree with me.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #805
metaname2
self-banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,996
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
Gambling income deserves a special exemption. I believe in income tax.
This strikes me as a weird idea. Justification?
metaname2 is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #806
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
So you agree with me.
I generally believe in freedom. There are some issues that I don't and think that the government needs to wield some control. And my feeling on each issue has nothing to do with my like or dislike of that activity or issue.

You said it has everything to do with my like or dislike of that activity or issue. You were wrong.

Why are you still confused?
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #807
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaname2 View Post
This strikes me as a weird idea. Justification?
Why is it weird? I don't put it in the same bucket as income as you are risking your own money in which you earned and were already taxed on.
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #808
metaname2
self-banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,996
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

So it is the issue of risk? I assume you think investors and entrepreneurs should get their income tax free too? What about people in jobs that require an expensive education? Low level street dealers?
metaname2 is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #809
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaname2 View Post
So it is the issue of risk? I assume you think investors and entrepreneurs should get their income tax free too? What about people in jobs that require an expensive education? Low level street dealers?
I think that professional poker players should have to pay taxes too. If it's your job, then you should have to pay taxes. Doesn't seem fair to get an exemption when that's your living.

So, no, it's not entirely an issue of risk. It's also an issue of recreation vs. your job.
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #810
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
You said it has everything to do with my like or dislike of that activity or issue. You were wrong.

Why are you still confused?
I'm not confused at all.

You need to broaden your thinking.

The word "like" seems to be giving you fits, because you have one very narrow definition for it you're trying to apply to every use of it.

As long as you continue doing that you're going to have difficulty.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #811
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Let's try something subtly different.

Why is your set of allowable freedoms any better than someone else's set? What makes yours right and his wrong?
 
Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #812
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Let's try something subtly different.

Why is your set of allowable freedoms any better than someone else's set? What makes yours right and his wrong?
I make my assessment on allowable freedoms based on what I think is better for the common good.

Listen, I know you have a really hard time saying your wrong, everyone does. I know that you won't admit that your wrong, few do. And I know that it REALLY irks you that you were actually wrong in a discussion with me.

But really, just say you were wrong and that you wanted to argue with me just for the sake of arguing with me.

It's enough already.
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #813
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
I'm not confused at all.

You need to broaden your thinking.

The word "like" seems to be giving you fits, because you have one very narrow definition for it you're trying to apply to every use of it.

As long as you continue doing that you're going to have difficulty.
Yes, I "like" people having freedoms in the areas that I described.

However, YOU said I only wanted freedoms in areas that I like. That is not true.

Do you see the difference? You are either confused or stubborn. I vote stubborn.
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #814
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
Yes, I "like" people having freedoms in the areas that I described.

However, YOU said I only wanted freedoms in areas that I like. That is not true.

Do you see the difference? You are either confused or stubborn. I vote stubborn.
It is exactly the same thing. Your list of "good" and "bad" freedoms is based on your personal preferences. In other words, what you like.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #815
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
It is exactly the same thing. Your list of "good" and "bad" freedoms is based on your personal preferences. In other words, what you like.
Okay. That wasn't your original point though. You thought I liked prostitution, drugs and discrimination. If you didn't, correct me.

And if you're correcting me, I don't really understand your point. Of course it's my preference that people have freedom in some areas and don't in others. What kind of revelation is that?
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #816
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
Okay. That wasn't your original point though. You thought I liked prostitution, drugs and discrimination. If you didn't, correct me.
lol wut

I already have corrected you. What freedoms you like are different than what individual activities you might do with the freedoms you like.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #817
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
And if you're correcting me, I don't really understand your point. Of course it's my preference that people have freedom in some areas and don't in others. What kind of revelation is that?
Some people develop principles and then derive their positions from that rather than just picking a la carte on a case by case basis.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #818
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Some people develop principles and then derive their positions from that rather than just picking a la carte on a case by case basis.
Yeah, I've touched upon that. That's extremely close minded, ignorant and kinda stupid to be honest. There are so many factors involved in each issue that it doesn't make any sense to develop a principle and adhere to that principle no matter what the issue is.

If you do that, I wouldn't be surprised. You seem to be extremely close minded and not very bright to be honest (maybe because you're 16 and haven't had enough life experience yet).
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #819
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodie View Post
Yeah, I've touched upon that. That's extremely close minded, ignorant and kinda stupid to be honest. There are so many factors involved in each issue that it doesn't make any sense to develop a principle and adhere to that principle no matter what the issue is.

If you do that, I wouldn't be surprised. You seem to be extremely close minded and not very bright to be honest (maybe because you're 16 and haven't had enough life experience yet).
lol

I could just say the same for people who think morality is just whatever I feel like in any given situation. That's an incredibly self-centered view, basically what six-year-olds use to guide their decisions.

YOUR MOVE.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #820
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Notice that once again your post reduces to "my personal preference is better than yours, only (insert personal attack) people think what you do."
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #821
metaname2
self-banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,996
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

I'm still very interested in how subsidizing gambling and bribing people to get sterilized contributes to the "social good." Just a very interesting idea to me. And if you hate drugs, prostitution and discrimination so much, why do they contribute to the "social good" while guns don't?
metaname2 is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #822
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
lol

I could just say the same for people who think morality is just whatever I feel like in any given situation. That's an incredibly self-centered view, basically what six-year-olds use to guide their decisions.

YOUR MOVE.
I don't know where I said that morality is what I feel like in any given situation. Please cite where I said that.
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #823
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Notice that once again your post reduces to "my personal preference is better than yours, only (insert personal attack) people think what you do."
Of course I think my stance, opinion, personal preference, whatever you want to term it, is better than yours. You think the same exact thing. That's why we're arguing. Not sure why you're pointing that out but okie dokie.
Goodie is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #824
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
ITT Goodie doesn't understand the implications of what he types.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #825
Goodie
Pooh-Bah
 
Goodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Section 315 Gillette Stadium
Posts: 5,694
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaname2 View Post
I'm still very interested in how subsidizing gambling and bribing people to get sterilized contributes to the "social good." Just a very interesting idea to me. And if you hate drugs, prostitution and discrimination so much, why do they contribute to the "social good" while guns don't?
Read the thread on sterilization. I'm not going to go further into here but it's very clear why I think that's a good idea and why I think it would help society.

I'm actually not sure what you mean by subsidizing gambling. Please explain.

Where did I say that more drugs, prostitution or discrimination would be better for society? I never said that. I said that having the freedom from the government to do those things would be better for society.
Goodie is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive