Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #676
krmont22
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
krmont22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 8,078
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Not mentioning Dire Straits is criminal.
krmont22 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #677
Riverman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Riverman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 73,137
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Dude, the Olympics? Really?

We crush everyone at sports, AINEC.
Riverman is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #678
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,101
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

I agree the UK probably beats the US for music straight up. Normalized for population, they crush us.

Competitive eating is one of the top 5 worst things about the US imo.
suzzer99 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #679
CHAMPIONS
banned
 
CHAMPIONS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 80
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTeeMe View Post
The bolded are really the only ones I'll disagree with. British music hasn't been relevant for, what, 40 years? European music is so terrible David Hasselhoff is the best selling artist on the continent.

And America is the best at the sports that matter by a wide margin. Sorry rest of world, soccer is turrible.
I thought merkins didn't do irony?
CHAMPIONS is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #680
Money2Burn
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Misreading your post.
Posts: 12,634
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
I agree the UK probably beats the US for music straight up. Normalized for population, they crush us.

Competitive eating is one of the top 5 worst things about the US imo.
You're one of the top 1 worst things about the US imo!
Money2Burn is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #681
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,101
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Let's see: Celebrate American gluttony? Check. Conspicuously waste food in a public spectacle when people are starving to death in the world and going hungry in America? Check. Encourage people to permanently damage their bodies and metabolisms for a few bucks and fleeting pseudo-fame? Check. Totally ****ing disgusting to watch? Check. Contestants all vomit offstage right afterwards? Check.

What's not to like?
suzzer99 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #682
Copernicus
banned
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,155
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto View Post
??? How are you determining relevence? And 40 years?

The 80's alternative scene was largely british bands. The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, the Clash (going until mid 80s). New Order. Many of these bands are still huge artists and hugely influential. Madness and English Beat. Elvis Costello. kate Bush, The Police

90s- Oasis, Blur, U2, Charlatans, London Sued, The Stone Roses - the entire Shoegazing genre emerged from UK- My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Jesus and the Mary Chain, Cocteau Twins,Lush, Pale Saints... this genre ultimately influenced American bands like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr.,
Fatboy Slim

.
I wonder how many of the 70s and 80s Brit band members are domiciled outside of the UK, and particularly in the US.

And I wonder how many of those great early British bands cited non-US influences. Seems that Floyd Council and Pink Anderson didnt have cockney accents.

The musical wasteland that was the Brit 90s is quite clear from the pathetic bands you were able to pull out, compared to the very vibrant US music scene.
Copernicus is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #683
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,594
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I wonder how many of the 70s and 80s Brit band members are domiciled outside of the UK, and particularly in the US.

And I wonder how many of those great early British bands cited non-US influences. Seems that Floyd Council and Pink Anderson didnt have cockney accents.

The musical wasteland that was the Brit 90s is quite clear from the pathetic bands you were able to pull out, compared to the very vibrant US music scene.
There was an incredibly vibrant and diverse music scene in the UK in the 90s. Not all of it went Kerrang Kerrang or 99 problems but Imperial Dominance aint one, so you wont have heard of them in the two track music scene in US.
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #684
Megastar11
grinder
 
Megastar11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 640
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post

And I wonder how many of those great early British bands cited non-US influences. Seems that Floyd Council and Pink Anderson didnt have cockney accents.
I wonder how many of these early US singers didn't use a guitar, which of course is primarily a European invention.
Megastar11 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #685
Copernicus
banned
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,155
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.F.K.1.1 View Post
There was an incredibly vibrant and diverse music scene in the UK in the 90s. Not all of it went Kerrang Kerrang or 99 problems but Imperial Dominance aint one, so you wont have heard of them in the two track music scene in US.
Quality has no borders. If we havent heard of them, they suck.
Copernicus is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #686
Copernicus
banned
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,155
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megastar11 View Post
I wonder how many of these early US singers didn't use a guitar, which of course is primarily a European invention.
Most of the early US rock/R&B singers didnt use a guitar, their voice was the only instrument they needed. And sue the US for only being 235 years old, I'll stack up those 235 years over Europes centuries for accomplishments any time.

I wonder where Fender and Gibson were started.
Copernicus is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #687
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

you guys win, I forgot the US has copernicus

 
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #688
Megastar11
grinder
 
Megastar11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 640
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Quality has no borders. If we havent heard of them, they suck.
Who is 'we'? The UK adopted The Pixies and Jimi Hendrix well before America did, so I wouldn't say that America has very discerning taste when it comes to music.

Hardly anyone knows who Bon Iver is, that does not make him ****. Nor does the fact that everyone knows who Avril lavigne is make her the GOAT.
Megastar11 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #689
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,101
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Quality has no borders. If we havent heard of them, they suck.
lol you can't be real
suzzer99 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #690
Huehuecoyotl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Huehuecoyotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: It's hard to get by on a smile
Posts: 29,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megastar11 View Post
Who is 'we'? The UK adopted The Pixies and Jimi Hendrix well before America did, so I wouldn't say that America has very discerning taste when it comes to music.

Hardly anyone knows who Bon Iver is, that does not make him ****. Nor does the fact that everyone knows who Avril lavigne is make her the GOAT.
Spice Girls tho.
Huehuecoyotl is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #691
Copernicus
banned
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,155
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megastar11 View Post
Hardly anyone knows who Bon Iver is, that does not make him ****. .
Youre right...that they (not he, so how well you know them is in question) s^ck is what makes them s^ck.
Copernicus is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #692
kurto
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kurto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: in your heart
Posts: 17,634
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I wonder how many of the 70s and 80s Brit band members are domiciled outside of the UK, and particularly in the US.

And I wonder how many of those great early British bands cited non-US influences. Seems that Floyd Council and Pink Anderson didnt have cockney accents.

The musical wasteland that was the Brit 90s is quite clear from the pathetic bands you were able to pull out, compared to the very vibrant US music scene.
No doubt many sucessful bands come to the US because they have a bigger market and it may be more lucrative. That doesn't discount that many of these bands come out of their local communities.

Bands all over the world cite sources globally. But quite often a smaller area, despite their influences, create something new. For instance, Manchester England has had a thriving music scene for decades that has produced a number of notable artists and trends. The way a musician synthesizes their influences can make something new and fresh.

I don't know your tastes which I suspect is largely driving your criticism. To say those bands are pathetic ignores their worldwide success and influence.

Again, I realize calling music 'good' is largely opinion. But I have worked in music licensing, work regularly with music supervisers and musicians. I have worked with a lot of people who are very devoted music fans, musicologists and musicians. I feel confident that your opinion about the state of music in England is a minority.

Groups like My Bloody Valentine, while never a huge commercial hit in the US, is the kind of band that is cited by critics and bands due to their influence. Its like the Pixies... a lot of people don't know much about them, but many, many acts (many who had much more commercial appeal then the Pixies) will cite them as a hugely influential band.

I don't have a problem with you not liking British bands. But that doesn't mean you are knowledgeable to their success or influence.
kurto is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #693
kurto
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kurto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: in your heart
Posts: 17,634
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.F.K.1.1 View Post
There was an incredibly vibrant and diverse music scene in the UK in the 90s. Not all of it went Kerrang Kerrang or 99 problems but Imperial Dominance aint one, so you wont have heard of them in the two track music scene in US.
the fact of the matter is that US radio really sucks. And the larger music market you live in the worse the music. The bigger the market you're in, the less adventurous the radio is.

Not to mention that due to new technologies (between internet customized radio, youtube and things like XM radio), radio has lost much of its influence.

I believe it is harder for bands to become as exposed as they did in the past because there is more media, specialized media playing narrowly programmed music to smaller and smaller audiences.

The US market is often times completely ignorant of musical artists and trends that may be huge internationally. People who are really devoted to music and have the desire and energy to explore what's going on can find stuff, but the general public never hear much because the US media is extremely limited in what they will play.
kurto is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #694
Copernicus
banned
 
Copernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,155
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto View Post

I don't have a problem with you not liking British bands. But that doesn't mean you are knowledgeable to their success or influence.
Good thing, since far from not liking British bands, the vast majority of the music I listen to is British or British influenced (via American influences). But others' attempts to say that they are/were quintessentially British and not extraordinarily influenced by American music are just stupid.
Copernicus is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #695
pvn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
you guys win, I forgot the US has copernicus

I forgot, you guys have phill

coinflip imo
 
Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #696
O.A.F.K.1.1
Ted Patrick
 
O.A.F.K.1.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Deep Coma
Posts: 24,594
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Very keen to hear Copernicus's prediction on the future state of the relative status of UK and USA music.
O.A.F.K.1.1 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #697
Megastar11
grinder
 
Megastar11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 640
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto View Post
No doubt many sucessful bands come to the US because they have a bigger market and it may be more lucrative. That doesn't discount that many of these bands come out of their local communities.

Bands all over the world cite sources globally. But quite often a smaller area, despite their influences, create something new. For instance, Manchester England has had a thriving music scene for decades that has produced a number of notable artists and trends. The way a musician synthesizes their influences can make something new and fresh.

I don't know your tastes which I suspect is largely driving your criticism. To say those bands are pathetic ignores their worldwide success and influence.

Again, I realize calling music 'good' is largely opinion. But I have worked in music licensing, work regularly with music supervisers and musicians. I have worked with a lot of people who are very devoted music fans, musicologists and musicians. I feel confident that your opinion about the state of music in England is a minority.

Groups like My Bloody Valentine, while never a huge commercial hit in the US, is the kind of band that is cited by critics and bands due to their influence. Its like the Pixies... a lot of people don't know much about them, but many, many acts (many who had much more commercial appeal then the Pixies) will cite them as a hugely influential band.

I don't have a problem with you not liking British bands. But that doesn't mean you are knowledgeable to their success or influence.
Considering his previous statements, I can't imagine he's heard of either of those bands, so he will automatically consider them ****.
Megastar11 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #698
kurto
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
kurto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: in your heart
Posts: 17,634
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Good thing, since far from not liking British bands, the vast majority of the music I listen to is British or British influenced (via American influences). But others' attempts to say that they are/were quintessentially British and not extraordinarily influenced by American music are just stupid.
Its pretty tough to quantify influences since they large travel both ways across the ocean (well, oceans since let's face it musicians borrow from all over)

Radiohead, for instance, which is considered by many to be one of the greatest bands in the last 2 decades or so can cite influences from American Jazz to German Industrial Music.

The Clash and the Police (both hugely influential british bands, of course) met success by blending Punk Rock (which was largely a british phenomenon) with Jamaican Reggae... still, I'm calling them British.

Ska originated in Jamaica... but became a larger worldwide phenomenon when the british punks picked it up in the late 70s. The US then had their own wave largely emulating the brit bands and adding things like rap and hard core in the 80s. Sublime was an American band (that I love) whose influences punk (questionably british though there certainly were US punk bands), reggae (jamaican) and ska (jamaican? british? American?... )

UK and America extraordinarily influence each other and mapping such influences would have hundreds of lines going back and forth between the countries (with plenty of sidetrips to other parts of the world).

Just curious- what current british bands are you listening to? (or are you only listening to bands 40 years or older?)
kurto is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #699
Megastar11
grinder
 
Megastar11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 640
Re: Nationalism: Do You Actually Think America is Better Than Other Countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto View Post
Its pretty tough to quantify influences since they large travel both ways across the ocean (well, oceans since let's face it musicians borrow from all over)

Radiohead, for instance, which is considered by many to be one of the greatest bands in the last 2 decades or so can cite influences from American Jazz to German Industrial Music.

The Clash and the Police (both hugely influential british bands, of course) met success by blending Punk Rock (which was largely a british phenomenon) with Jamaican Reggae... still, I'm calling them British.

Ska originated in Jamaica... but became a larger worldwide phenomenon when the british punks picked it up in the late 70s. The US then had their own wave largely emulating the brit bands and adding things like rap and hard core in the 80s. Sublime was an American band (that I love) whose influences punk (questionably british though there certainly were US punk bands), reggae (jamaican) and ska (jamaican? british? American?... )

UK and America extraordinarily influence each other and mapping such influences would have hundreds of lines going back and forth between the countries (with plenty of sidetrips to other parts of the world).

Just curious- what current british bands are you listening to? (or are you only listening to bands 40 years or older?)

You seem to ignore the fact that America invented music.
Megastar11 is offline  
Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #700
Huehuecoyotl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Huehuecoyotl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: It's hard to get by on a smile
Posts: 29,115
We even brought people over to invent Jazz. You're welcome world.
Huehuecoyotl is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive