Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Can you make a living from sport betting? Can you make a living from sport betting?

02-09-2024 , 11:28 AM
Hi,I'm a ruined student by my parents and I'm trying to find something that can make me relax and studious.I want to study sport betting because unlike poker you don't lose everytime on the board.I posted in another thread that I'm good at math but I don't know how to calculate certain statistics and I haven't found a book online.
Here is my grade at mathematics:
https://imgur.com/a/ujrNCb7
for the 1st semester
https://imgur.com/a/9lGKxRK
for the 2nd semester
The only problem was linear algebra.
How much math do you need for this hobby? Probability and Statistics?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-09-2024 , 11:38 AM
I just don't know how to apply math!Can someone answer me honestly?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-09-2024 , 04:54 PM
Find as many trusted sources (e.g. books) as you can. This will be the foundation for your success. Without multiple sources it will likely be very difficult to make money.

The math part can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. At a minimum read up on Kelly Criterion, expected value (EV), and expected growth modeling. Although you will be using spreadsheet software to perform the calcs, a solid mathematical foundation will help you understand how it all works.

You will also need to understand the value of points from a wagering perspective. For example, why is NFL side -2.5 -120 so much better than -3 -110.

With sufficient bankroll, line shopping to find the best odds, along with good hedging techniques to reduce risk, you are almost certain to make a profit. How much depends on how frequent you can get +EV bets along with how long books continue to take your action.

Game modeling provides a distinct advantage for player props, derivatives, and alternate lines. For that you will need data collection resources, along with probability/stats foundation (Bayesian inference in particular), and data processing (e.g. programming). Linear algebra foundation gives you insight into advanced modeling techniques (AI for example uses linear algebra in its training models), but I don't think it's necessary to make bank with sports.

I would not recommend relying on sports betting solely to make a living, at least when you are building a bankroll.

PM me if you have more questions.
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-09-2024 , 05:23 PM
@PokerHero77 what books should I read?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-10-2024 , 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerHero77
I would not recommend relying on sports betting solely to make a living, at least when you are building a bankroll.
The trouble is that this poster has been told repeatedly over numerous threads exactly what to do to make a living (i.e. get a job and stop blaming your crappy existence on everyone but yourself), which has been continually ignored for probably years now
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-10-2024 , 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour
The trouble is that this poster has been told repeatedly over numerous threads exactly what to do to make a living (i.e. get a job and stop blaming your crappy existence on everyone but yourself), which has been continually ignored for probably years now
What's wrong with You?I just want to fiind a hobby1
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-10-2024 , 08:52 AM
@sixfour the category is sport betting.What does your comment Have to do with betting?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-11-2024 , 11:09 AM
Can anyone give me a step-by-step method to start in sport betting?
I only know how to calculate odds!
I read about statistics and normal distribution but I don't know how to create calculations.Do You use the graphs?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-11-2024 , 01:56 PM
Anyone? Why am I being ignored?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-12-2024 , 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly
Anyone? Why am I being ignored?
2+2 is dead nowadays lol, I think beating sports is pretty easy , but getting down , especially nowadays is the toughest part.

Last edited by BK1248; 02-12-2024 at 09:05 AM.
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-12-2024 , 06:17 PM
Quote:
.I want to study sport betting because unlike poker you don't lose everytime on the board.
What does this mean, exactly?

I think you got some great advice from PokerHero already.

That sentence that I quoted is a bit concerning to me though, depending on what you mean by it.

A lot of people get into poker, sports, counting cards, etc., looking for a way to get rich quick. Of course, they're willing to read some books, to spend some time on it, as long as they feel like they can profit from it. Like starting a business, it's really tougher work than a regular job, and you have to be stronger with uncertainty than the average person. You should probably also be more conservative with money than someone with a guaranteed income.
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-15-2024 , 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRy
What does this mean, exactly?

I think you got some great advice from PokerHero already.

That sentence that I quoted is a bit concerning to me though, depending on what you mean by it.

A lot of people get into poker, sports, counting cards, etc., looking for a way to get rich quick. Of course, they're willing to read some books, to spend some time on it, as long as they feel like they can profit from it. Like starting a business, it's really tougher work than a regular job, and you have to be stronger with uncertainty than the average person. You should probably also be more conservative with money than someone with a guaranteed income.
I'm not looking to get rich,I want a hobby because other than work I have nothing to do and my parents never teached me sometbing useful.
Can you make money in sport betting from 10 to 200 bucks?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-15-2024 , 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly
Can you make money in sport betting from 10 to 200 bucks?
Yes.
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-15-2024 , 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly
I'm not looking to get rich,I want a hobby because other than work I have nothing to do and my parents never teached me sometbing useful.
Can you make money in sport betting from 10 to 200 bucks?
The best advice youre gonna get here is this: forget about sports betting. Get a regular job and make your own money. If you really want to, learn about sports betting slowly and methodically. Forget about 'going pro'. I can tell just by your posts that you have literally 0% chance of that happening, which is ok. The vast, vast majority of people are in the same boat. If you must, take it on very slowly and with tiny, tiny amounts. See if you can show a profit after a year betting 5 or 10 dollar units. If you cant do that, you have no chance. If you can, you might have a chance. But if anything, for sure, pursue it as a hobby because thats really what it should be for you. I know this isnt what you wanted to hear but its probably the best advice for you.

Edit: I didnt really read your first post at first. It seems you might be good at math? I cant tell. If thats the case, you MIGHT be able to make something like 20k a year after a few years learning. But definitely still start out as small as possible. A good couple books to read: "Attacking Las Vegas", Ed Miller's new book, Sharp Sports betting by Stanford Wong. Look up King Yao, he has a good book. Read the wells in here in the FAQ. Theres a ton of free info out there.
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-15-2024 , 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly
Anyone? Why am I being ignored?
Because we can tell you aren't going to make it.

We are quietly hoping you avoid the degenerate life we all live, that is devoid of any joy, besides the occasional short-lived dopamine rush of meaningless money. ( Then it is back to being miserable again. )

Advanced math knowledge (which you do not have btw) will not help much in sports gambling.

Sports Gambling has a 10% rake built into every bet. So you will need to be right much more than half of the time to even have a profit.

This is not attainable without an edge

To acquire an edge you need to have more knowledge than the bookies

This is a challenge

Having an edge is highly unlikely without inside information, 1-off simulator software, or by applying knowledge to frontrun and outthink the bookies

For example some Cornerback is having trouble on the Dolphins and the media is unaware. You would bet for the Wide Receiver he is most likely covering on prop bets to succeed.

That is how you frontrun and outthink the bookies.

You MUST have an edge to outperform the greedy rake they take.

Otherwise you will lose your money. The End.

If you do not have an edge then you are better off on the pass line at craps where you are getting a much better deal at being robbed slowly
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-16-2024 , 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Limit_Joker

Advanced math knowledge (which you do not have btw) will not help much in sports gambling.
And your proof with the math would be?
I just showed You my Grandes.Why s that so hard to believe?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-16-2024 , 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly
And your proof with the math would be?
I just showed You my Grandes.Why s that so hard to believe?
Getting an A in basic math is not going to make you a successful gambler. I took algebra 1 in 7th grade bro.

geometry 8th. algebra 2 in 9th grade. Precalculus 10th. Calculus A 11th. Calculus B in 12th. near perfect math section on SAT. 100% perfect ASVAB score. 132+ iq.

None of what i just said about myself matters at all except the IQ part.

If you can not solve the problem of getting more money into your pocket, then getting an A in math does not matter ... at all... to anybody.

Sports Gambling is about beating an edge ... which is impossible without the things i mentioned to you in the previous post.

It is mostly a futile attempt, only done for fun by drunken low-browed NFL and college football fans.

You can have a good weekend here or there but you can never beat a 10% rake coin-flipping the rest of your life.

The only ways to have an edge in gambling are things like GTO poker and card counting in blackjack

You are better off studying horses or dog racing than sports imo.

HOWEVER all that being said....... i say listen to your heart.

Maybe u go broke but sometimes it is better to live your life and experience the journey. Everything happens for a reason.
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-16-2024 , 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Limit_Joker
Because we can tell you aren't going to make it.

We are quietly hoping you avoid the degenerate life we all live, that is devoid of any joy, besides the occasional short-lived dopamine rush of meaningless money. ( Then it is back to being miserable again. )

Advanced math knowledge (which you do not have btw) will not help much in sports gambling.

Sports Gambling has a 10% rake built into every bet. So you will need to be right much more than half of the time to even have a profit.

This is not attainable without an edge

To acquire an edge you need to have more knowledge than the bookies

This is a challenge

Having an edge is highly unlikely without inside information, 1-off simulator software, or by applying knowledge to frontrun and outthink the bookies

For example some Cornerback is having trouble on the Dolphins and the media is unaware. You would bet for the Wide Receiver he is most likely covering on prop bets to succeed.

That is how you frontrun and outthink the bookies.

You MUST have an edge to outperform the greedy rake they take.

Otherwise you will lose your money. The End.

If you do not have an edge then you are better off on the pass line at craps where you are getting a much better deal at being robbed slowly


Lets go through this because I have some time today and Im bored.

First off, this guy is generally right. OP, you probably dont have much of a chance of making money betting sports. However, a lot of this info is incorrect. Lets go line by line.


"Advanced math knowledge (which you do not have btw) will not help much in sports gambling." - This is very wrong. I'm one of the 'not good at math but can still make money betting sports' crew for sure and even I know how wrong this is. Handicapping is mostly math and theres a lot of math with odd conversions, knowing when to buy points, knowing which close bets are better. You dont HAVE to be a math whiz to make it work, but it for sure helps. Also, OP seems to want to come at this with math knowledge being his 'edge'. He doesnt seem like a 'hustler getting sharps tons of good accounts and taking a piece' type. You gotta be one or the other, really. Good people/hustling skills to stay in low limit land and make it work, or good math skills to cap yourself.


"Sports Gambling has a 10% rake built into every bet. So you will need to be right much more than half of the time to even have a profit." Again, very wrong. -110 both sides is 4.56% house edge. But the worst part of your answer is assuming every single bet is made at -110. If you dont know this, you shouldnt be giving out advice.

"Having an edge is highly unlikely without inside information, 1-off simulator software, or by applying knowledge to frontrun and outthink the bookies" - lol what is '1-off simulator software' and where did you even see that word salad before? There are lots of ways to gain edges. Inside info, sure. Pretty rare and only people who dont do much betting probably think inside info is the way to win. Modeling, math, market theory, line shopping, access to lots of different kinds of credit books, etc is how you get an edge. Would love to know what you think 'frontrunning' a bookie means.


"For example some Cornerback is having trouble on the Dolphins and the media is unaware. You would bet for the Wide Receiver he is most likely covering on prop bets to succeed.

That is how you frontrun and outthink the bookies. " Well look at that, you did explain! But again, pretty bad. Why would you think that YOU know a corner is 'having trouble' but no one else does? How do you know the market hasnt absorbed that info yet? Only way is to model it. Again, using math. That is not 'front running' anyone or anything.

"You MUST have an edge to outperform the greedy rake they take.

Otherwise you will lose your money. The End." -Finally something that isn't outright wrong, although I do think your use of 'greedy' is wrong here and betrays some info about you. Just curious, are you under 25 years old?


"If you do not have an edge then you are better off on the pass line at craps where you are getting a much better deal at being robbed slowly" - Not wrong, but again, no one is 'robbing you'. No one is making you play anything. Thats like saying a movie theater is robbing you by charging you for a ticket.

Thats all! Howd I do, you guys!?

Edit: You do not have a 132 IQ. lol
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-16-2024 , 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Poogs
Edit: You do not have a 132 IQ. lol
My best score was 142 but my worst score was 132 so....

I am mid-40's

I probably am assuming Math is not important because it is naturally easy to me

I have recently turned chump change into 400 grand ( and then lost 90 in a week ) all scalping and leverage trading high volatile assets


This isnt about me though this is about scaring this dude out of a careers as a sports better

10% rake math might be off and based on an assumption i made looking at -110 over / -110 under without actually doing the math and willing to admit i am wrong if that is the case
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-16-2024 , 05:04 PM
Also yeah in Miami you will see athletes in the club literally every weekend and get a close look at them potentially overhearing conversations, or stepping on their toes, shake their hand hard lol
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-16-2024 , 10:22 PM
Finally figured out my password. Are we resurrecting this sports betting forum?

I dont think calling it 10% rake is necessarily wrong. You essentially only pay it when you win, and short of a couple books or very tough markets, getting better than -110/-110 is hard to find.

Also, arguing IQ based off a couple posts (assuming you guys dont have a history) is kinda dumb.

Poogs, what you doin with your life these days? I sometimes wish I had a networking guy, but I think expanding would be too stressful.
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-17-2024 , 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Poogs
Lets go through this because I have some time today and Im bored.

First off, this guy is generally right. OP, you probably dont have much of a chance of making money betting sports. However, a lot of this info is incorrect. Lets go line by line.

Then what's the secret?How do you beat that edge?
You didn't answered me that question.
What do I do?
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-20-2024 , 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfour
The trouble is that this poster has been told repeatedly over numerous threads exactly what to do to make a living (i.e. get a job
lmao

wolly goto a real sportsbook and ask this question in person :

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly
Then what's the secret?How do you beat that edge?
You didn't answered me that question.
What do I do?
tell them you got an A in algebra and you are ready to begin your career as a sharp,

The only things you just need to know are which chair to take and how to be smarter than a team of bookie organizations running thousands of game simulators day and night on supercomputers

easy money bro
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-21-2024 , 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Limit_Joker
The only things you just need to know are which chair to take and how to be smarter than a team of bookie organizations running thousands of game simulators day and night on supercomputers

easy money bro
ooof

/thread
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote
02-22-2024 , 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrainpsu
Finally figured out my password. Are we resurrecting this sports betting forum?

I dont think calling it 10% rake is necessarily wrong. You essentially only pay it when you win, and short of a couple books or very tough markets, getting better than -110/-110 is hard to find.

Also, arguing IQ based off a couple posts (assuming you guys dont have a history) is kinda dumb.

Poogs, what you doin with your life these days? I sometimes wish I had a networking guy, but I think expanding would be too stressful.
Im married and have a 6 month old daughter now. I have a real career so sports betting is really just a hobby of mine now, plus I haven't made any money on my own bets in like 2 years. Safe to say it has all largely passed me by and Im ok with it. It was a wild ride and I'll always be at least a little involved getting other groups accounts and doing wong teasers and such.
Can you make a living from sport betting? Quote

      
m