Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Notices

Small Stakes PL/NL Discussions regarding small stakes pot and no-limit hold'em (50c-1 to 1-2) Forum is closed; read only.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #101
Brian O'Nolan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Four Seasons Total Landscaping
Posts: 6,466
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel108 View Post
A reg opens 60% of buttons and 4B 8% of his range versus 3B, we know he calls AQ, 99, TT. We 3B 77 in the SB versus his open with the intention of shipping versus a 4B. Is this solid? By your criteria it's not. But not doing so is just lighting money on fire.
This is some "solid" math.
Brian O'Nolan is offline  
Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #102
aggo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: nyc
Posts: 10,417
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

citizen, I just watched one of you and nute's vids a few days ago and I had a watershed moment when nute destroyed amuro's play vs that fish c/calling that turn with middle pair.

It might have been a bit results oriented, but that hand demonstrated a real important principle that i never really thought to care much about.

thanks for that.
aggo is offline  
Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #103
lima
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,766
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

So OP is a bumhunter nit, just as most of SSNL players are. He would also get raped in a HU match or on a table full of regulars and will probably never play anything above NL400.

Since he is avoiding tough spots, his handreading will never improve.

The worst thing about poker is that those player types usually run well, which is why they think they are so good.
lima is offline  
Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #104
iopq
veteran
 
iopq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MicroBob apologist
Posts: 3,347
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima View Post
So OP is a bumhunter nit. He would also get raped on a table full of regulars.
everyone would
it's not HU where rake is capped to $0.50, with $3 rake EVERYONE on that table would be a loser unless there are some really bad nits that you count as "regs"
iopq is offline  
Old 07-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #105
WorldBoFree
old hand
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,588
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima View Post
So OP is a bumhunter nit, just as most of SSNL players are. He would also get raped in a HU match or on a table full of regulars and will probably never play anything above NL400.

Since he is avoiding tough spots, his handreading will never improve.

The worst thing about poker is that those player types usually run well, which is why they think they are so good.
Uh....NO.

Great post Alvin. I think what I really love about this post, is that there is so much value in it, and yet many good 2+2ers are still in denial of it. Even though you wrote it with the intention of helping and starting a good discussion among poker players.

This makes me feel positive about the future of poker. People choose to believe what they WANT to believe and rationalize everything in accordance of that.

I think a great discussion has arose out of your OP, cheers to you for that.
WorldBoFree is offline  
Old 07-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #106
Brian J
TOTP Master
 
Brian J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beyond the Lighted Stage
Posts: 10,650
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugsvoll View Post
Please, look Nanonoko up. Look at his NL200 video and see what he likes to do. One of his favorite hands are J5 and he likes to 4bet/5bet bluff all in pre-flop with it. Don't believe me?

http://strategy.pokernews.com/strate...d=102881787001

Fast forward to around 32:30 for crazy hero call, and choose the other video down in the corner and fast forward to around 12:40 to see J6 all in bluff shove!

Nanonoko does NOT win all that money just because of "solid nit fold when i have best hand" play.

/Thread
you do realize these are the free videos and the play is what it is for a reason?
Brian J is offline  
Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #107
citizenwind
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 229
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Haha thanks guys. Hopefully this helped some people out, even if other people disagreed in parts. As I said in the OP, i was trying to define solid play, and of course that's impossible to completely encompass in one go, especially considering I barely proofread anything. I guess I'm doing SOMETHING right, considering the flaming PMs I got.
citizenwind is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #108
iopq
veteran
 
iopq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MicroBob apologist
Posts: 3,347
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenwind View Post
Haha thanks guys. Hopefully this helped some people out, even if other people disagreed in parts. As I said in the OP, i was trying to define solid play, and of course that's impossible to completely encompass in one go, especially considering I barely proofread anything. I guess I'm doing SOMETHING right, considering the flaming PMs I got.
over my huge sample of 2K hands I won 6BIs trying to play solid! Would have been 7, but I forgot I was trying to play solid at the beginning of the second session and reverted to lolspewbluffing

will update progress as I get more hands in
iopq is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #109
_JerryD_
veteran
 
_JerryD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Suomi Winland
Posts: 2,292
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

I don't really like what I read in this thread. A good solid player reads hands and uses small edges to his advantage,and isn't an uncreative abc player.
_JerryD_ is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #110
humanabstract91
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: setmining with AA
Posts: 759
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J View Post
you do realize these are the free videos and the play is what it is for a reason?
what do you mean precisely.. are you saying he isn't going to do as much awesome sh*t?
humanabstract91 is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #111
bilbo-san
Angry Hobbit
 
bilbo-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In ur game, pickin off ur bluffz
Posts: 11,900
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JerryD_ View Post
I don't really like what I read in this thread. A good solid player reads hands and uses small edges to his advantage,and isn't an uncreative abc player.
lots of people play according to what they like, rather than according to what's +EV

the other day a friend sent me a hand on aim where a reg flatted his 4bet in position with J9. The friend bet like 1/3 pot on A73 and the reg shipped into his AK.

I picked this example because of a couple things. Clearly, flatting preflop is +EV with this hand but since that isn't sexy, the reg 3-bet instead. Then he gets 4-bet small, but it's no fun to fold, so he flats.

Then he gets 4:1 on calling with a flush draw, which is clearly +EV, but hey, the green line isn't as cool as the red line, so he shoves instead when the shove has almost no FE and therefore isn't +EV.

It's a classic example of someone choosing to do what's "cool" on every street rather than what has the highest EV
bilbo-san is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #112
_JerryD_
veteran
 
_JerryD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Suomi Winland
Posts: 2,292
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo-san View Post
lots of people play according to what they like, rather than according to what's +EV

the other day a friend sent me a hand on aim where a reg flatted his 4bet in position with J9. The friend bet like 1/3 pot on A73 and the reg shipped into his AK.

I picked this example because of a couple things. Clearly, flatting preflop is +EV with this hand but since that isn't sexy, the reg 3-bet instead. Then he gets 4-bet small, but it's no fun to fold, so he flats.

Then he gets 4:1 on calling with a flush draw, which is clearly +EV, but hey, the green line isn't as cool as the red line, so he shoves instead when the shove has almost no FE and therefore isn't +EV.

It's a classic example of someone choosing to do what's "cool" on every street rather than what has the highest EV
I don't care at all wihat's cool, I couldn't care less.
I play at a network where most of the regs are uncreative nits, and I have a clear edge on them (was more true in nl100, but in nl200 now too).

Not because I flat J9 to 4-bets, but because I think about ranges and hands and use good bluffing/floating/barreling spots to my advantage.

You said something crazy scandi stuff somewhere, well I'm like 22/18 with 6.2% 3bet so I have nothing to do with any crazy LAG stuff. However I do like to think about my lines and not just instafold marginal hands.
_JerryD_ is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #113
ApeStylez
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 246
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Nanonoko does NOT play 'ABC'. Actually he said in a recent interview he get's into a lot of "preflop wars" and plays a very swingy style.
ApeStylez is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #114
bilbo-san
Angry Hobbit
 
bilbo-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In ur game, pickin off ur bluffz
Posts: 11,900
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JerryD_ View Post
I don't care at all wihat's cool, I couldn't care less.
I play at a network where most of the regs are uncreative nits, and I have a clear edge on them (was more true in nl100, but in nl200 now too).

Not because I flat J9 to 4-bets, but because I think about ranges and hands and use good bluffing/floating/barreling spots to my advantage.

You said something crazy scandi stuff somewhere, well I'm like 22/18 with 6.2% 3bet so I have nothing to do with any crazy LAG stuff. However I do like to think about my lines and not just instafold marginal hands.
that sounds like the definition of "solid" to me, OP never said playing like an uncreative nit is how to bring home the bacon

(As to the "crazy scandi" stuff I said in cheese, I just meant that villain looked at your location and made assumptions)
bilbo-san is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #115
ApeStylez
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 246
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

@AT

I don't care about being solid or loose or whatever. Just concentrate on making good decisions. I have sessions with 10%+ 3bet and sessions with 4%, session with 25PFR and some with 16PFR... I just play what I think is best approach in the given situation. Generally, I do think it is good to develope parts of the game that are advanced once you've mastered a solid abc-style.
I'm also no fan of playing more than 4 tables.

I don't think the 'green line' style is better or worse than the 'red-line style'. Ultimately it all breaks down to understanding ranges and predicting what your opponent is gonna to with certain parts of his ranges. Focus on that.

Last edited by ApeStylez; 08-01-2010 at 08:18 PM.
ApeStylez is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #116
_JerryD_
veteran
 
_JerryD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Suomi Winland
Posts: 2,292
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo-san View Post
that sounds like the definition of "solid" to me, OP never said playing like an uncreative nit is how to bring home the bacon

(As to the "crazy scandi" stuff I said in cheese, I just meant that villain looked at your location and made assumptions)
Ok, fair enough - we can agree that creativity is what it takes, maybe I didn't read the OP carefully enough - I just had the assumption that he meant to avoid marginal decisions/bluffs or something and just to valuebet own strong hands - and usually as the original raiser.

Because that kind of narrow minded ABC isn't taking you far imho.

And for the scandi stuff, alrighty. It's just that it's quite a frequent generalization back there in US and you hear it so often, and we do come in many shapes and sizes too but I guess there's a certain tendency to aggression here, no idea where it comes from - compared to anglo-saxon players who are more passive (UK&US). And I mean like fish - usually scandi fish are aggro where as others passive
_JerryD_ is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #117
Kevin8423
Pooh-Bah
 
Kevin8423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,984
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Good thread.

I don't think the important idea in the OP is "be a nit it's solid". It's that being a Jacob lag just because it's fun and you "own" people sometimes but also end up barely profiting or losing isn't good just to do it.

This post wasn't meant for the super lag that destroys everyone and has a sick winrate. It's for the guy with the lag style that people don't like to play against, but also doesn't make much or any money with it.
Kevin8423 is offline  
Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #118
citizenwind
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 229
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

I don't say anywhere "don't bluff" or "just valuebet." What are ya'll reading? :P
citizenwind is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #119
Brian O'Nolan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Four Seasons Total Landscaping
Posts: 6,466
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

I doubt more than a few people read the entire OP, they just skimmed and saw "18/15" and a few other nit-worthy phrases...
Brian O'Nolan is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #120
darkconcept
veteran
 
darkconcept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,221
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

nice post op, worthy of being posted in msnl imo.

i think what makes this post difficult to understand for some people is there really is no clear thesis, and the definitions are convoluted to some. it's okay though because i would find it hard to put into words the idea you're trying to lay out as well. especially without some clearcut examples to put it into context.

the idea of passing up on marginal spots is an interesting one. i think most people are approaching this with a chicken before the egg complex. the reason people should be aggressive (in a broad sense) is not because other players are showing a profit with it, but because they do themselves. a LAG shouldn't become a LAG because its; interesting, helps them learn quicker, gives them a higher potential earn etc... a LAG becomes a LAG because he starts out tight, and notices his edge in pots becomes greater, therefore he progressively wants to be in more pots and more pots. too many people are trying to become a 27/24 because that's what the most sensationalized players play like. i actually have people ask me, " should I 3bet 10% because that's what nanonoko 3bets?". obviously there's an equilibrium but it isn't being approached in an intelligent matter.

too many people are going from 0-60 on the aggression speedometer, hence "chicken before the egg". also this equilibrium will be met at different points for different players. i think the idea you're laying across is that for the majority this equilibrium will be met closer to our beginnings/roots than most people assume on 2+2.

i think you need to build more on the specific idea of passing up on marginal early street decisions in order to avoid spots where potential miscalculations in strategy will be magnified on further streets. this is a subject a lot of midstakes players like myself already instinctively understand but don't really know how to verbalize. i also think a core ideal in your post is the idea of consistency, for a creative players biggest detriment is that he can overextend himself.

only thing i disagree with in this thread is the notion that 5/10 is significantly different than midstakes. imo i believe a solid winning 400nl player shouldn't have much difficulty beating 5/10 as long as he is comfortable with the money hes wagering. from my experience midstakes actually tends to be more aggressive preflop than 5/10. i would also say on a whole the games are less aggressive in a frequency sense. meaning people aren't being aggressive 9/10 times, but instead the 6/10 times they are it's very concentrated and well thought out aggression. 25/50+ would obviously be a different beast, and I can't really comment on those games as I haven't put any significant volume in there.
darkconcept is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #121
nikinblinds
veteran
 
nikinblinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,465
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JerryD_ View Post
Ok, fair enough - we can agree that creativity is what it takes, maybe I didn't read the OP carefully enough - I just had the assumption that he meant to avoid marginal decisions/bluffs or something and just to valuebet own strong hands - and usually as the original raiser.

Because that kind of narrow minded ABC isn't taking you far imho.

And for the scandi stuff, alrighty. It's just that it's quite a frequent generalization back there in US and you hear it so often, and we do come in many shapes and sizes too but I guess there's a certain tendency to aggression here, no idea where it comes from - compared to anglo-saxon players who are more passive (UK&US). And I mean like fish - usually scandi fish are aggro where as others passive
disagreeeeeeeeeeeeee..............!!

p.s can i flat this river?



Prima Network $200.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

SB: $208.35
BB: $170.30
UTG: $250.07
Hero (MP): $200.00
CO: $210.10
BTN: $188.45

Pre Flop: ($3.00) Hero is MP with A A
1 fold, Hero raises to $6, CO calls $6, BTN calls $6, SB calls $5, 1 fold

Flop: ($26.00) T 3 4 (4 players)
SB bets $17.00, Hero calls $17, CO calls $17, BTN calls $17

Turn: ($94.00) 3 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

River: ($94.00) A (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $94.00, BTN folds, SB folds, Hero raises to $177, CO calls $83
nikinblinds is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #122
citizenwind
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 229
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkconcept View Post

the idea of passing up on marginal spots is an interesting one. i think most people are approaching this with a chicken before the egg complex. the reason people should be aggressive (in a broad sense) is not because other players are showing a profit with it, but because they do themselves. a LAG shouldn't become a LAG because its; interesting, helps them learn quicker, gives them a higher potential earn etc... a LAG becomes a LAG because he starts out tight, and notices his edge in pots becomes greater, therefore he progressively wants to be in more pots and more pots. too many people are trying to become a 27/24 because that's what the most sensationalized players play like. i actually have people ask me, " should I 3bet 10% because that's what nanonoko 3bets?". obviously there's an equilibrium but it isn't being approached in an intelligent matter.

too many people are going from 0-60 on the aggression speedometer, hence "chicken before the egg". also this equilibrium will be met at different points for different players. i think the idea you're laying across is that for the majority this equilibrium will be met closer to our beginnings/roots than most people assume on 2+2.

i think you need to build more on the specific idea of passing up on marginal early street decisions in order to avoid spots where potential miscalculations in strategy will be magnified on further streets. this is a subject a lot of midstakes players like myself already instinctively understand but don't really know how to verbalize. i also think a core ideal in your post is the idea of consistency, for a creative players biggest detriment is that he can overextend himself. .
this is absolutely fantastic.
citizenwind is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #123
_JerryD_
veteran
 
_JerryD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Suomi Winland
Posts: 2,292
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

That was a very good post darkconcept.

I guess that's exactly where I'm at and was meaning in my criticism, I'm no super LAG nowadays either, but I have been through the 18/16 ABC poker with value hands. I have played SSNL/MSNL since the beginning of 2007, and to me some of the things citizenwind was referring in the original post (don't get me wrong, it's a nice post) are sort of like I would be forced to go back in the learning curve.

And I don't want to lose those edges I have now because of better hand reading that I used to have, and better understanding of what my image + my range looks like to the other players.
_JerryD_ is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #124
Fritzy
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,495
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenwind View Post
this is absolutely fantastic.
+1, very well written
Fritzy is offline  
Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 AM   #125
BEAR JEW
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle,WA/Las Vegas,NV
Posts: 2,515
Re: On Being Solid (very long)

i wouldnt fold aces full on AKKK2. If has 33 you kinda have to pay him off lol. kind of an odd check. seems like everyone loves to slowplay the absolute nuts lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by nikinblinds View Post
disagreeeeeeeeeeeeee..............!!

p.s can i flat this river?



Prima Network $200.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

SB: $208.35
BB: $170.30
UTG: $250.07
Hero (MP): $200.00
CO: $210.10
BTN: $188.45

Pre Flop: ($3.00) Hero is MP with A A
1 fold, Hero raises to $6, CO calls $6, BTN calls $6, SB calls $5, 1 fold

Flop: ($26.00) T 3 4 (4 players)
SB bets $17.00, Hero calls $17, CO calls $17, BTN calls $17

Turn: ($94.00) 3 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

River: ($94.00) A (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $94.00, BTN folds, SB folds, Hero raises to $177, CO calls $83
BEAR JEW is offline  

 
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive