Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #151
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyRidesAgain View Post
Saying society prescribes x is a load of horse ****. If I tip someone, I tip them what I think they should get, not what every other person hands them just "because" that's the way it is.

Ummm, it totally is a societal thing.
Europeans come over here and have a drink and they either don't tip at all because they don't understand that it's pretty much 'expected' or they try to fit in and tip whatever is the appropriate amount in this country even though they think it's stupid.

If you go over to a different country and start tipping the same amount for the same types of services that you do in the U.S. then you will get looked at like a weirdo a lot of the time.

It's totally a societal thing. If it weren't then when somebody tells me, "That'll be $3.50" then I would actually pay freaking $3.50 just like if I bought it at the 7-11 or the grocery store.

But I know how American society works. And when if the guy saying "That'll be $3.50" also happens to be a bartender then what he is really saying is "$3.50 to start plus it's pretty much expected that everybody who purchases a drink is supposed to leave a little something extra."

If it was based just on your own mood and not on societal standards at all then you would be pretty much tipping the dude at 7-11 or the grocery store or the fast-food restaurant as frequently as you do in other establishments. But you don't. Because you are pretty much following the standards that society has set.

In other words...if it was standard by everyone else to tip at the 7-11 then you would likely be doing that too. Just like you tip the bartender pretty much the same amount that everybody else in THIS country has already established is the norm. And also just like you shouldn't take that custom to certain other countries because it can even be considered insulting or inappropriate elsewhere.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #152
deadbody
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Collecting taxes from deadbeats
Posts: 562
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Here is the deal.

No tip is a bad tip. Any tip you get is more than you had when you started the transaction.

You might get less that you would like from some people, but you'll get more than you expect from others. Be happy and gracious to get a tip of any kind on a beer purchase. Seriously, you open a bottle, or draw a beer from a keg into a glass. This isn't ****in rocket science. If you want a larger tip than the coins I get back from a purchase of a beer, you better brew that **** yourself and do some McGyver craziness in pouring or opening the bottle to give me a good show.

But as I said I rarely if ever drink when I go out, because I refuse to tip a bartender more money on top of an absurdly overpriced beer.
deadbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #153
happyhappyhappy
veteran
 
happyhappyhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pine tree state
Posts: 2,234
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonite2100 View Post
And my OP wasn't even complaining,
Seriously?

No one cares whether you think .50 is a bad tip, or whether someone haggling over spinach bothers you. I could say that I agree with some things, but I won't, because it doesn't matter.

If you're good at your job then in the long run you should be pulling in >17% and be happy, no matter what one single tip may be. There are many correlations to poker here. If you truly thought about the long run, and were doing the best for yourself here, than none of this **** matters.

I think its pretty obvious you don't, otherwise, with every 'this guy tipped me .50 on a beer' type whine, you would include a 'wow, this nice person left me $20 on a $70 check', and it all averages out. You've made it clear you don't think about it this way.
happyhappyhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #154
samsonite2100
old hand
 
samsonite2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bustin\' Makes Me Feel Good
Posts: 1,233
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
Ummm, it totally is a societal thing.
Europeans come over here and have a drink and they either don't tip at all because they don't understand that it's pretty much 'expected' or they try to fit in and tip whatever is the appropriate amount in this country even though they think it's stupid.

If you go over to a different country and start tipping the same amount for the same types of services that you do in the U.S. then you will get looked at like a weirdo a lot of the time.

It's totally a societal thing. If it weren't then when somebody tells me, "That'll be $3.50" then I would actually pay freaking $3.50 just like if I bought it at the 7-11 or the grocery store.

But I know how American society works. And when if the guy saying "That'll be $3.50" also happens to be a bartender then what he is really saying is "$3.50 to start plus it's pretty much expected that everybody who purchases a drink is supposed to leave a little something extra."

If it was based just on your own mood and not on societal standards at all then you would be pretty much tipping the dude at 7-11 or the grocery store or the fast-food restaurant as frequently as you do in other establishments. But you don't. Because you are pretty much following the standards that society has set.

In other words...if it was standard by everyone else to tip at the 7-11 then you would likely be doing that too. Just like you tip the bartender pretty much the same amount that everybody else in THIS country has already established is the norm. And also just like you shouldn't take that custom to certain other countries because it can even be considered insulting or inappropriate elsewhere.
Yep.
samsonite2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #155
happyhappyhappy
veteran
 
happyhappyhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pine tree state
Posts: 2,234
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Good luck OP, I'm out. If you want to further try to backpeddle and/or explain your lack of understanding, I'll check in later.
happyhappyhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #156
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Wtf Cheap People

On the bit about drinks:
At the casino I usually tip $1 or $2 per drink.
The cost of the drink is $0.
I am tipping way more than 20% imo!!!!
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #157
samsonite2100
old hand
 
samsonite2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bustin\' Makes Me Feel Good
Posts: 1,233
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappyhappy View Post
Seriously?

No one cares whether you think .50 is a bad tip, or whether someone haggling over spinach bothers you. I could say that I agree with some things, but I won't, because it doesn't matter.

If you're good at your job then in the long run you should be pulling in >17% and be happy, no matter what one single tip may be. There are many correlations to poker here. If you truly thought about the long run, and were doing the best for yourself here, than none of this **** matters.

I think its pretty obvious you don't, otherwise, with every 'this guy tipped me .50 on a beer' type whine, you would include a 'wow, this nice person left me $20 on a $70 check', and it all averages out. You've made it clear you don't think about it this way.
Well, this thread's gotten 150 responses pretty fast for no one caring what I think a bad tip is. If it doesn't matter to you, then please stop posting. I'm personally having fun here.

I'm well aware that it evens out. And you seem to know a lot about what I think and am like and know. Especially for a guy WHO KEEPS MISSING THE POINT THAT I WASN'T COMPLAINING ABOUT THE 50 CENT THING, BUT POINTING IT OUT AS PART OF A SET OF, IMHO, POINTLESS CHEAP BEHAVIORS.
samsonite2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #158
samsonite2100
old hand
 
samsonite2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bustin\' Makes Me Feel Good
Posts: 1,233
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappyhappy View Post
Good luck OP, I'm out. If you want to further try to backpeddle and/or explain your lack of understanding, I'll check in later.
Thanks, it's been truly humbling and edifying talking to, you know, a guy who waited tables at a saveur top-20 restaurant.
samsonite2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #159
samsonite2100
old hand
 
samsonite2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bustin\' Makes Me Feel Good
Posts: 1,233
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
On the bit about drinks:
At the casino I usually tip $1 or $2 per drink.
The cost of the drink is $0.
I am tipping way more than 20% imo!!!!
THAT'S WAY OVER 14.3% CRAZY SINCE MY DORMMATE CAN MAKE MIXED DRINKS IMO
samsonite2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #160
phishguy
old hand
 
phishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 1,310
Re: Wtf Cheap People

The place I go to charges $3.50 a drink.
If I drink they are getting the 50 cent tip no more.
How the **** can you complain about someone giving you free money OP?

Is a tip entitled to you???
Did you see a tip is required in the fine print when you filed for the job.
If someone does not tip you should treat them the same. If not you are not doing your job. Which last time I check, you are still getting paid hourly.

Last edited by phishguy; 06-22-2008 at 09:15 PM.
phishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #161
FakeKramer
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 630
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdmcg View Post
They value their time and money differently than you. It shouldn't really be that mind blowing.
Not differently, less.

Agree with OP. Lots of nits in this thread whether they know it or not.
FakeKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #162
Fetzi
old hand
 
Fetzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: over the 7 hills
Posts: 1,589
Re: Wtf Cheap People

what a ****ty thread
Fetzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #163
kkcountry
BBV MS Paint Rapid Response Squad
 
kkcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: dimichele ripped
Posts: 31,242
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17 View Post
Even with a tab I'm going to tip 30% and then round off to the nearest round number so we are not far from the $1.50.
OH HAY EVERYBODY HENRY TIPS A LOT
kkcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #164
kkcountry
BBV MS Paint Rapid Response Squad
 
kkcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: dimichele ripped
Posts: 31,242
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetzi View Post
what a ****ty thread
QF
kkcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #165
xxThe_Lebowskixx
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indeed.
Posts: 6,512
Re: Wtf Cheap People

"Also, I do not understand the $.50 tip. As in, someone comes to the bar, orders a $3.50 beer and pays with a 5, gets back $1.50, and leaves the two quarters. It's not exactly that I feel entitled to the $1, although it is standard, but I can't fathom the mentality of someone who wouldn't just throw down the buck, if for no other reason than not wanting to look cheap and douchey."

why would someone give you a $1.5 for handing them a beer?
xxThe_Lebowskixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #166
grando
witty comic
 
grando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: it is I, grover!
Posts: 10,680
Re: Wtf Cheap People

the only lol was that IP is better than MGM
grando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #167
grando
witty comic
 
grando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: it is I, grover!
Posts: 10,680
Re: Wtf Cheap People

societal customs ldo
grando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #168
xxThe_Lebowskixx
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indeed.
Posts: 6,512
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalRefugee View Post
is tipping in bars for beers in the US standard?

I'm from the UK and there is NO WAY I'd tip in a bar/club whatever unless it was say 14.20 or something random. We pay say 2.50 for a bottle of Becks at a bar, wouldn't cross my mind to leave a tip. I've been a bartender before and people do leave tips but no way is it standard especially on a single beer.
only in America.
xxThe_Lebowskixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #169
xxThe_Lebowskixx
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indeed.
Posts: 6,512
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by grando View Post
societal customs ldo
yeah people working in Mcdonalds make $6/hr and he makes 1/4 of that for handing a guy a beer? why would people buy into something ******ed like that regardless if everyone else is doing it?
xxThe_Lebowskixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #170
skunkworks
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
skunkworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fancy Hats Only
Posts: 7,372
Re: Wtf Cheap People

hahahahahaha oh these tipping threads, they make me vomit
skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #171
sickofants
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,801
Re: Wtf Cheap People

You might want to reconsider how strong a convention a dollar/drink tip is. I'm not American and I've never worked as a waiter before but just reading through this thread suggests that whilst a dollar is standard, 50 cents isn't exactly unconventional.

IMO, you come accross as a douche. If your problem was that you needed the extra 50 cents then that would be understandable. Since your problem is with people who don't conform to this (overstated by you IMO, but even still) convention AND you consider it enough of a problem to post about it on an internet forum, this makes you a douche.

That 50 cents might mean something to someone should not be so difficult to grasp.
sickofants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #172
SmokeyRidesAgain
veteran
 
SmokeyRidesAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: i put you all in
Posts: 3,343
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonite2100 View Post
Who says I have a s***ty attitude?
You do. You know these words you are typing, they are what says you have a ****ty attitude. Maybe if you learn some self reflection you won't be reliant on other people giving you tips to make your day slightly worth living.
SmokeyRidesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #173
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxThe_Lebowskixx View Post

why would someone give you a $1.5 for handing them a beer?

I briefly dated a girl who was a bartender at some private, exclusive club at the top of some high-rise.
She described it as, "Rich guys who tip me $60 just to pour 3 glasses of some $100 per glass type of Brandy [or whatever it was they liked to drink]. Easiest money ever."
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #174
gobbomom
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gobbomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: gobboville
Posts: 7,262
Re: Wtf Cheap People

lol@ this thread. Happy is a pretty cool dude who would probably make a dining experience more enjoyable, and would reap the benefits of that. OP is a douche who shows why he receives 50c. tips. It's pretty obvious why.
gobbomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #175
samsonite2100
old hand
 
samsonite2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bustin\' Makes Me Feel Good
Posts: 1,233
Re: Wtf Cheap People

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishguy View Post
The place I go to charges $3.50 a drink.
If I drink they are getting the 50 cent tip no more.
How the **** can you complain about someone giving you free money OP?

Is a tip entitled to you???
Did you see a tip is required in the fine print when you filed for the job.
If someone does not tip you should treat them the same. If not you are not doing your job. Which last time I check, you are still getting paid hourly.
Which last time you check, did you see it was $2.13? And yes, tbh servers and bartenders are entitled to decent tips. When you enter a restaurant or bar, you are basically entering a tacit pact that says if the service is good, you will tip like a normal human being. Of course, you're not required to by law, but neither are you required by law to hold the door for an old lady carrying groceries or to say "bless you" after someone sneezes: it's just something you do if you're not a complete assh**e.

And if you think I, or anyone else in the service industry, is going to treat someone who doesn't tip the same as someone who does, you're either 12 or insane. Enjoy the loogies in your salad and waiting 15 minutes for your Michelob Ultra.
samsonite2100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive