Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
amazinmets73
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,337
Vegetarian-vegan thread

I've recently decided to stop eating meat, starting off as a vegetarian and transitioning to vegan in the future. I've been a heavy meat eater my while life, so right now I'm in the "wow, there's nothing to eat stage"

Advice from anyone who's gone veg?
amazinmets73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 38,137
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Advice from anyone who's gone veg?
I've been veg for 15 years. Best advice I can give is: don't ever tell a carnivore you don't eat meat or they're likely to react like you're trying to take away their 2nd ammendment rights. If they ask you why you don't eat meat, don't bring up health benefits or ethical reasons or they'll get even more mad.

Last edited by gregorio; 03-13-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: see post below for example of rustled their jimmies get
gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Fabian
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,237
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
I've been veg for 15 years. Best advice I can give is: don't ever tell a carnivore you don't eat meat or they're likely to react like you're trying to take away their 2nd ammendment rights. If they ask you why you don't eat meat, don't bring up health benefits or ethical reasons or they'll get even more mad.
And it begins.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
gregorio
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 38,137
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

wrt what to eat, there are vegetarian versions of lots of foods you already eat--pasta, chili, burritos, burgers, Indian and east Asian food--so those are a good place to start. Bean dishes are really easy to make, are inexpensive, have lots of protein and fibre and can be seasoned however you want, and there will be tons of recipes on the internet.

To broaden your horizons, find a vegan restaurant and try new things and then google how to make them yourself. Get a hippy girlfriend and go to lots of vegan potlucks with her. Don't just eat chips and pizza.
gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
DefendTheCult
old hand
 
DefendTheCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Location
Posts: 1,934
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
I've been veg for 15 years. Best advice I can give is: don't ever tell a carnivore you don't eat meat or they're likely to react like you're trying to take away their 2nd ammendment rights. If they ask you why you don't eat meat, don't bring up health benefits or ethical reasons or they'll get even more mad.
My girlfriend is a vegetarian and has been for about half of her life. I am not a huge meat eater, but I must say that for the most part this is true.

I don't get mad at her, but I do laugh at her from time to time. The only health issue I see with meat is the amount of hormones these factory cows receive, no way that meat can be good for you. Grass fed is something I wish I could buy all the time.

But please, don't tell me humans are not supposed to eat meat. That is where I draw the line. If you don't want to, I don't care, but It does get under my skin when I hear that we aren't made to consume meat.

Because of her though, I have been going down the road to healthy eating. Fast food, and soda have been completely removed from my diet.
DefendTheCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
BornToPun
adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,041
As a non-vegan from a very vegan/vegetarian family, I'll say that the food can actually be deliciously. My brother has on multiple occasions prepared tofu dishes for his friends, telling them its chicken, and not had anybody notice.
BornToPun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
amazinmets73
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,337
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

I actually never had tofu. Can't wait to try it.
amazinmets73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
metaname2
self-banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,996
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Lol grass-fed beef - hope you don't drip any grease on your bib! It's pork-fed beef or nothing for me.

OP, remember that 74% of taste is smell, so if you are having a hard time with the taste of vegetables, try holding some bacon under your nose while you chew.
metaname2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Holliday
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Holliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forum Withdrawal's world
Posts: 20,821
I definitely prefer vegetarian chickens.
Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
YB2009
dats ruff
 
YB2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: squared circle
Posts: 7,414
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

gregorio is currently reading the "Cooking a good steak" thread and touching his nipples.

book it.
YB2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
DefendTheCult
old hand
 
DefendTheCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Location
Posts: 1,934
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaname2 View Post
Lol grass-fed beef - hope you don't drip any grease on your bib! It's pork-fed beef or nothing for me.

OP, remember that 74% of taste is smell, so if you are having a hard time with the taste of vegetables, try holding some bacon under your nose while you chew.
-1
DefendTheCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
guardian troll
adept
 
guardian troll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: speak marauder!
Posts: 854
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

u could try going to a farmers market os; if you can, if you haven't!

maybe that would help
guardian troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
thirddan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: what hump?
Posts: 11,695
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

i live off of morning star and gardein frozen food...lots of protein and taste pretty good...
thirddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
zerosum79
old hand
 
zerosum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,978
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I actually never had tofu. Can't wait to try it.
Don't get your hopes too high.

zero
zerosum79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
amazinmets73
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,337
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

I'm eating a Bocu veggie burger with Silk soymilk. Not as good as the real thing, but doable
amazinmets73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
DefendTheCult
old hand
 
DefendTheCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Location
Posts: 1,934
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I'm eating a Bocu veggie burger with Silk soymilk. Not as good as the real thing, but doable
I grew to like Boca Burgers. Silk Soymilk, especially the chocolate milk is so damn good.
DefendTheCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
amazinmets73
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,337
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Haven't tried chocolate yet. I'm used to drinking whole cow milk, so soymilk did taste noticeably weaker. Just takes getting used to.
amazinmets73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
asdfasdf32
True Facts
 
asdfasdf32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Treading lightly
Posts: 13,155
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YB2009 View Post
gregorio is currently reading the "Cooking a good steak" thread and touching his nipples.

book it.
Hahahahaha.
asdfasdf32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
crashjr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
crashjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Just offshore, State of Jefferson
Posts: 12,922
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

OP-

Why?

Acceptable -
1. Ethical reasons
2. Get laid

Dubious -
a. Health benefits

Best answer so far is to get vegan girlfriend and go to vegan pot lucks.
crashjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #20
amazinmets73
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,337
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashjr View Post
OP-

Why?

Acceptable -
1. Ethical reasons
2. Get laid

Dubious -
a. Health benefits

Best answer so far is to get vegan girlfriend and go to vegan pot lucks.
My reasons were mainly ethical. Never even considered using it as a tool to get laid. Tell me more...
amazinmets73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
DefendTheCult
old hand
 
DefendTheCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Location
Posts: 1,934
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
My reasons were mainly ethical. Never even considered using it as a tool to get laid. Tell me more...
It honestly doesn't really work. It's another imaginary tool some dudes think works when in reality it doesn't, they are just having a bunch of false hope build up.

Crash, What is wrong with doing it for Health Reasons?
DefendTheCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #22
jws43yale
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,194
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

My GF is vegetarian and has been one since 6 years old despite growing up in East Texas. She is a true vegetarian in the fact that she doesn't like anything with the texture of meat either (so no BS tofu or seitan).

Can confirm from personal experience that it is much easier to eat healthy.

Although I definitely eat meat less and eat veg a couple of days a week it is great she doesn't care when I am stuffing my face with foie gras or something similar.

Being a vegan would be awful. Neither of us like super creamy or buttery dishes but I can't imagine going without eggs or cheese.

Edit: I think health reasons is perfectly acceptable. Have a buddy who was always in good shape but never able to get his weight down. He has gone semi-veg (he avoids cheese as it makes him pack on pounds and still eats fish regularly) and eats a lot of veggies and lentils. Will eat beef or chicken on occasion but he has definitely lost weight he was never able to before changing his diet. He likely could have done the same by changing his diet and keeping meat but I definitely think it is easier if you just try to go veg as help you avoid a lot of temptation.
jws43yale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #23
crashjr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
crashjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Just offshore, State of Jefferson
Posts: 12,922
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefendTheCult View Post
It honestly doesn't really work. It's another imaginary tool some dudes think works when in reality it doesn't, they are just having a bunch of false hope build up.

Crash, What is wrong with doing it for Health Reasons?
Hippie chicks are easy and vegi diets are an in. You can't go from a no game havin carnivore to a vegi and BAM you are a lock to get laid - it just opens up more avenues. If OP found himself in social circles where it made a difference he'd know it and own it. He doesn't, so it isn't a factor.

"Health Reasons" is way too amorphous to attempt to address. What specific health problem are you hoping to solve by eliminating meat and animal byproducts? Yes, I've seen Forks over Knives and am prepared to link to several studies debunking the conclusions from the China study.
crashjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #24
crashjr
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
crashjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Just offshore, State of Jefferson
Posts: 12,922
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws43yale View Post
Edit: I think health reasons is perfectly acceptable. Have a buddy who was always in good shape but never able to get his weight down. He has gone semi-veg (he avoids cheese as it makes him pack on pounds and still eats fish regularly) and eats a lot of veggies and lentils. Will eat beef or chicken on occasion but he has definitely lost weight he was never able to before changing his diet. He likely could have done the same by changing his diet and keeping meat but I definitely think it is easier if you just try to go veg as help you avoid a lot of temptation.
You could get the same result from cutting out gluten or refined sugars. The reason isn't that those specific foods made any difference, it is that there was an overall calorie reduction made easier by eliminating an entire class of food from regular inclusion in the diet.
crashjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #25
DefendTheCult
old hand
 
DefendTheCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Location
Posts: 1,934
Re: Vegetarian-vegan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashjr View Post
Hippie chicks are easy and vegi diets are an in. You can't go from a no game havin carnivore to a vegi and BAM you are a lock to get laid - it just opens up more avenues. If OP found himself in social circles where it made a difference he'd know it and own it. He doesn't, so it isn't a factor.

"Health Reasons" is way too amorphous to attempt to address. What specific health problem are you hoping to solve by eliminating meat and animal byproducts? Yes, I've seen Forks over Knives and am prepared to link to several studies debunking the conclusions from the China study.
Well I can link you studies to debunk anything and everything someone says, it doesn't mean much. There are always both sides to ever accusation or story or what have you. My "health reason" issue is that the cattle we eat now is pumped with hormones, antibiotics etc, and sure sure there are some studies that show those aren't passed through to us when we eat the meat..but why should I accept that? Why should I be OK with pumping cows full of hormones and then going ahead and eating it? It's the argument that Raw Milk is dangerous and store bought Milk is good for you, it's bull****.

I wish grass-fed in my area was cheaper.
DefendTheCult is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive