Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #176
divides_by_zero
results-oriented person
 
divides_by_zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In pictures.
Posts: 6,363
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by econophile View Post
Look, I'm all for hating rich white cis men, but is there something extra I should know?
divides_by_zero is offline  
Old 09-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #177
Howard Treesong
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Howard Treesong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In for the long con!
Posts: 9,114
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by econophile View Post
no joke. the current CFO made $2.7 million last year.

http://insiders.morningstar.com/trad...&culture=en_US

That number isn't a shocker to me. I didn't look at the link, but I'd think the number might be much bigger in years where it's profitable to exercise options.
Howard Treesong is offline  
Old 09-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #178
Howard Treesong
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Howard Treesong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In for the long con!
Posts: 9,114
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by divides_by_zero View Post
Look, I'm all for hating rich white cis men, but is there something extra I should know?


DBZ,

He's 29.
Howard Treesong is offline  
Old 09-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #179
dkgojackets
DKGOAT
 
dkgojackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: #benzo
Posts: 81,718
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

not sure why I should be caring about this guy but good for him
dkgojackets is offline  
Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #180
divides_by_zero
results-oriented person
 
divides_by_zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In pictures.
Posts: 6,363
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Treesong View Post
DBZ,

He's 29.
Nah, need more. I'm not agist.
divides_by_zero is offline  
Old 09-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #181
Howard Treesong
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Howard Treesong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In for the long con!
Posts: 9,114
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Neither am I, but CFO of a sizable company at 29 is very very unusual.
Howard Treesong is offline  
Old 09-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #182
offTopic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
offTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I guarantee it.
Posts: 17,304
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

So my sister's husband's parents are still my in-laws, right? Anyway, they didn't get out in time and are sticking it out in FREAKING PORT CHARLOTTE WTF. They could be chilling out with my sister and b-i-l in Denver right now, drinking wine and watching **** happen on CNN...I don't get hanging around for something like that.
offTopic is offline  
Old 09-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #183
Tom Ames
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Posts: 18,645
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by offTopic View Post
So my sister's husband's parents are still my in-laws, right? Anyway, they didn't get out in time and are sticking it out in FREAKING PORT CHARLOTTE WTF. They could be chilling out with my sister and b-i-l in Denver right now, drinking wine and watching **** happen on CNN...I don't get hanging around for something like that.
No, they are your sister's in-laws. But that doesn't change anything else.
Tom Ames is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #184
pokeraz
old hand
 
pokeraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,495
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Sorry to distract from the cat discussion but....

Asking for a raise tips.

Bit of background:

I am a Cisco systems engineer. Been with the company just shy of 20 years. My intention is to finish my career here. I have way too many ancillary benefits to want to change jobs to maximize whatever bit of money I may be leaving on the table by changing jobs.

Earlier this year, during a one on one with my manager, she mentioned in passing, that if I were to obtain the next higher certification, she would seek out a merit increase on my behalf. The certification is really the pinnacle of my field. At first, I really didn't want to invest what would be an enormous amount of effort it would take. But I changed my mind and over the summer, I busted my ass and studied like a mad man. The company footed the bills. About 15k total. Heck, the 2 day lab test was two days and that exam cost $1600 by itself. Plus travel etc.

Anyway, I received notice last Friday that I passed. Humble brag. I don't know the real numbers, but my understanding is that less than half of the attempts result in a pass on the first try.

Now of course, I want to maximize my salary reward. What is best plan of action?

Tomorrow, I can let her know I passed and allow her to do what she promised. How awkward would it be to say, 'hey, remember what you told me about a raise'? Do I really need to remind her?

We do have another 1 on 1 scheduled for the first week of Oct. Should I wait to notify her then so we can discuss and make my case during that meeting. My concern with waiting, is that annual reviews are done in March and I don't want these to get jumbled together. I got caught up in that once before. I got a raise and then when annual reviews came around, I was told we just gave you a raise.

Do I go to her with a number in mind or allow her to come up with something on her own?

I'm comfortable negotiating at annual review time as it is expected. But this was here suggestion. Part of me just wants to let it play out however it does.

Last edited by pokeraz; 09-10-2017 at 11:25 AM.
pokeraz is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #185
ChipWrecked
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ChipWrecked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: It's alive
Posts: 11,680
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Is this a CCIE you earned? Congratulations. Tough call. Better to stay where you have seniority and are fully vested of course. OTOH with top-level certification, your market value jumps, and I'd think you owe it to yourself to at least shop that.
Edit: if nothing else, to know a number to ask for.
ChipWrecked is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #186
pokeraz
old hand
 
pokeraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,495
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipWrecked View Post
Is this a CCIE you earned? Congratulations. Tough call. Better to stay where you have seniority and are fully vested of course. OTOH with top-level certification, your market value jumps, and I'd think you owe it to yourself to at least shop that.
Edit: if nothing else, to know a number to ask for.
Yes. CCIE Collaboration.
pokeraz is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #187
divides_by_zero
results-oriented person
 
divides_by_zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In pictures.
Posts: 6,363
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Is it such a big deal if you get a raise now and are not eligible at annual review time? I ran into this last year. But then you get the raise for longer, and it was a bigger raise than I would expect at review time. The review was really just a matter for getting my bonus.
divides_by_zero is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #188
pokeraz
old hand
 
pokeraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,495
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by divides_by_zero View Post
Is it such a big deal if you get a raise now and are not eligible at annual review time? I ran into this last year. But then you get the raise for longer, and it was a bigger raise than I would expect at review time. The review was really just a matter for getting my bonus.
Well, if my manager could get something approved in the next 30 days or so, I'd still get another increase during annual reviews in March. The closer those two events get to each other, the more likely they are treated as a single event.
pokeraz is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #189
chopstick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chopstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: where the weather suits my clothes
Posts: 7,287
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

pokeraz -

First, congrats on nailing the CCIE on your first attempt. I am friends with a bunch of CCIEs and know very well that the test is no joke. The pass rate is much lower than you think, it's somewhere around 25%. Lots of people can get beyond the written, only to get killed in the labs. The average # of attempts before passing is "above 2" per Cisco. Kudos to you for nailing it on the first run.

You said that you intend to finish out your career at your current place, does that mean you have no interest in determining your new market value? Doesn't hurt to see what you are worth and if nothing else, it is a good idea for you to sit down and assign a dollar value to those ancillaries. There is likely some amount of money that makes it worth it for you to consider other options. Why not at least figure out what that amount is and contrast it to your updated market value? You don't have to leave your current job to get an idea of your value. Contact a recruiter / head hunter (they love love love CCIEs given how bankable you guys are) and let them do all the work for you. Then you'll have more info to re-evaluate things. If the current ancillaries still outweigh the difference in salary (and the new ancillaries) then so be it. Explain up front to the recruiter all the ancillaries that you have now and how important they are for you.

As far as your manager goes, it depends on what your relation ship is like and why she suggested pursuing the CCIE. If she suggested it thinking you'd never follow thru and just wanted to shut you up, that is much different than her suggesting it in order to increase your hourly bill rate for your company's clients. Both of those are different from her just wanting you to be happy and knowing she needed a bargaining chip to go to bat for you, or some other reason. Hard to suggest an approach without an idea of what her motivation was. Definitely approach her ASAP to avoid the "we just gave you a raise" thing.

Another thing you may want to consider is staying at your current job and taking on small contract project in your spare time. That allows you to keep your existing position, and still somewhat leverage your increased market value at a higher rate.
chopstick is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #190
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 66,117
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Poker,

Let her know that you passed tomorrow, but don't mention anything re: the raise or your career.

If she doesn't mention anything about the raise during the one-on-one, bring it up then.
El Diablo is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #191
samuri8
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 1,126
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Just sat down in our seats for U2's The Joshua Tree tour. Beck is opening right now and the roof and windows are open here at Lucas Oil Stadium. Perfect.
samuri8 is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #192
ChipWrecked
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ChipWrecked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: It's alive
Posts: 11,680
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Thing with the CCIE labs is, it's not enough to know what to do. You have to be fast. Definitely no joke.
ChipWrecked is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #193
ChaseNutley26
Pooh-Bah
 
ChaseNutley26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: East Jabip
Posts: 4,540
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeraz View Post
Anyway, I received notice last Friday that I passed.

Sorry for your loss.
ChaseNutley26 is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #194
pokeraz
old hand
 
pokeraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,495
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstick View Post
pokeraz -

First, congrats on nailing the CCIE on your first attempt. I am friends with a bunch of CCIEs and know very well that the test is no joke. The pass rate is much lower than you think, it's somewhere around 25%. Lots of people can get beyond the written, only to get killed in the labs. The average # of attempts before passing is "above 2" per Cisco. Kudos to you for nailing it on the first run.

You said that you intend to finish out your career at your current place, does that mean you have no interest in determining your new market value? Doesn't hurt to see what you are worth and if nothing else, it is a good idea for you to sit down and assign a dollar value to those ancillaries. There is likely some amount of money that makes it worth it for you to consider other options. Why not at least figure out what that amount is and contrast it to your updated market value? You don't have to leave your current job to get an idea of your value. Contact a recruiter / head hunter (they love love love CCIEs given how bankable you guys are) and let them do all the work for you. Then you'll have more info to re-evaluate things. If the current ancillaries still outweigh the difference in salary (and the new ancillaries) then so be it. Explain up front to the recruiter all the ancillaries that you have now and how important they are for you.

As far as your manager goes, it depends on what your relation ship is like and why she suggested pursuing the CCIE. If she suggested it thinking you'd never follow thru and just wanted to shut you up, that is much different than her suggesting it in order to increase your hourly bill rate for your company's clients. Both of those are different from her just wanting you to be happy and knowing she needed a bargaining chip to go to bat for you, or some other reason. Hard to suggest an approach without an idea of what her motivation was. Definitely approach her ASAP to avoid the "we just gave you a raise" thing.

Another thing you may want to consider is staying at your current job and taking on small contract project in your spare time. That allows you to keep your existing position, and still somewhat leverage your increased market value at a higher rate.
Thanks for the reply. I went through this process 6 or 7 years ago and actually got a great offer. Maybe it is time to do it again just to check and get a firm feeling for the current market. While money is important, it is not at the top of my list for work/life satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Poker,

Let her know that you passed tomorrow, but don't mention anything re: the raise or your career.

If she doesn't mention anything about the raise during the one-on-one, bring it up then.
This is what I am going to do. I'll let her know tomorrow and then discuss during our next meeting if needed.
pokeraz is offline  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #195
spidercrab
veteran
 
spidercrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,228
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseNutley26 View Post
Sorry for your loss.
chuckled audibly
spidercrab is offline  
Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 AM   #196
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26,441
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Just remember that your employer paid for this training. If you're trying to determine your "worth" be sure to deduct the cost of this training. If you do actually leave, many employers would insist you pay them back.
pig4bill is offline  
Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 AM   #197
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 66,117
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Judgmental people,

Thoughts on red wine spritzers?
El Diablo is offline  
Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 AM   #198
samuri8
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 1,126
*** Sleepytember LC ***

The u2 tour was absolutely sublime. I turned 28 yesterday and hearing "Where the Streets Have no Name" in the city I grew up in, in front of 50k+ people, was ****ing astounding.
samuri8 is offline  
Old 09-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #199
Rexx14
veteran
 
Rexx14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,914
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
Judgmental people,

Thoughts on red wine spritzers?
Well red wine spritzers are clearly wrong but what about ice in red wine?
Rexx14 is offline  
Old 09-11-2017, 06:20 AM   #200
Yakmelk
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Yakmelk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Its Professor to you
Posts: 13,440
Re: *** Sleepytember LC ***

Nothing wrong with chilled red wine on the right occasion, I'd opt for stones or something though.
Yakmelk is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online