Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

View Poll Results: Should pitbulls be allowed to breed
Yes 367 48.42%
No 250 32.98%
Yes but only if you have to have a special license to own one 141 18.60%
Voters: 758. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #126
Matt Williams
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,112
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUntouchable View Post
Sorry for bringing something to the thread other than, OMG DIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP I WAS WALKING DOWN TEH ROADZ AND SOME SCARY PITBULL WAS LOOKING AT ME.
Untouchable,

You ask people for personal stories involving pit bulls and then when you get them, you dismiss it as being anecdotal. You freely admit that pitbulls can sense weakness and fear, but see no reason that they are agressive. You ignore questions asking you if you would trust your own child in a room w/ a pitbull for several hours alone. You quote towns forcing pitbull owners to have $300,000 liability insurance and then say it's political greed when confronted w/ the fact that the insurance is because pitbulls are unpredictible in nature. And in doing all this, you attack anyone that thinks pitbulls are dangerous or disagrees with you.

Just 1 question for you...

Do you believe your own BS?
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #127
TheUntouchable
banned
 
TheUntouchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 23,975
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Williams View Post
Untouchable,

You ask people for personal stories involving pit bulls

LOL WTF I never did this once. I asked the people who were already posting stories to look back and ask themselves if they were scared before they had a reason to be. You aren't good at reading (or posting).
TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #128
SackUp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Undefeated as a Lawyer!
Posts: 7,164
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Not all dogs are naturally killers or even capable of that - pit bulls are.

Eff stupid dogs.

Uproar line early was solid.
SackUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #129
TheUntouchable
banned
 
TheUntouchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 23,975
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Porcupine > Bull Terrier

TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #130
Max Raker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Max Raker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lebesgue Airlines
Posts: 15,738
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
What? It's got a muzzle and it's on a leash.
Leash doesn't protect the guy holding it imo
Max Raker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #131
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 58,937
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
My sister had a Jack Russell and it would constantly get in fights with other dogs/animals in the woods (came back bloody a few times, and once with a good portion of its ear gone). And another Jack Russell in the neighborhood was the meanest, most aggressive dog I've ever seen. Definitely a breed I'd stay away from.
they seem to have a napolean complex. very antagonistic. not even terrotorial or possessive, he just wants to start sht.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #132
TheUntouchable
banned
 
TheUntouchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 23,975
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
they seem to have a napolean complex. very antagonistic. not even terrotorial or possessive, he just wants to start sht.
LOL it really does seem like this. It doesn't really make sense that a dog breed could be like that, but who knows. They really seem to instigate with no purpose. My dog was just like this and didn't even want to fight most of the time. He's a huge pussy but would always start **** and then regret it.
TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #133
FrankieBigNuts
banned
 
FrankieBigNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 788
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
^photoshop or real dog? That dog's head is monstrous.
the mane and coat make it look bigger than it is




bottom one might be female
FrankieBigNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #134
cplo42
old hand
 
cplo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,779
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Williams View Post
Untouchable,

You ask people for personal stories involving pit bulls and then when you get them, you dismiss it as being anecdotal. You freely admit that pitbulls can sense weakness and fear, but see no reason that they are agressive. You ignore questions asking you if you would trust your own child in a room w/ a pitbull for several hours alone. You quote towns forcing pitbull owners to have $300,000 liability insurance and then say it's political greed when confronted w/ the fact that the insurance is because pitbulls are unpredictible in nature. And in doing all this, you attack anyone that thinks pitbulls are dangerous or disagrees with you.

Just 1 question for you...

Do you believe your own BS?

this post is just full of fail

the fact that pitbulls could be dangerous is irrelevant. All dogs could be dangerous. Just because your mom's friend once saw a pitbull and it stealthily walked behind her or something doesnt mean that they should be banned.
cplo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #135
LFS
emo gaylord
 
LFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Doing the deal
Posts: 20,867
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
the people who own them
Nobody owns a pitbull.
LFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #136
Dolt
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 168
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplo42 View Post
this post is just full of fail

Just because your mom's friend once saw a pitbull and it stealthily walked behind her or something doesnt mean that they should be banned.
What if it looked away and whistled every time she turned around?
Dolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #137
Matt Williams
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,112
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUntouchable View Post
LOL WTF I never did this once. I asked the people who were already posting stories to look back and ask themselves if they were scared before they had a reason to be. You aren't good at reading (or posting).
LOL. OK nit. You asked "Try to be honest and really think back. Were you scared of it before it did anything to give you a reason to? If so that changes everything. If you walked passed it and gave it the same energy as you would if you walked past a chihuahua then it probably wouldn't have even noticed you.".

Then when people told stories of being provoked by pitbulls, you tossed it aside as anecdotal evidence. You jumped on a BS technicality of pit bulls not being a purebred dog. Then you say that the reason people have pit bulls is because it's the cool choice for bad people. Then you ignore posts showing that the reason "bad people" have pit bulls is because of the image they have and the fact that they are dangerous. Lastly, since you have continuedly ignored the question about trusting a pit bull with your child alone, I will take that as a "No, you would not trust a pitbull with my child.".
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 AM   #138
Matt Williams
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,112
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplo42 View Post
this post is just full of fail

the fact that pitbulls could be dangerous is irrelevant. All dogs could be dangerous. Just because your mom's friend once saw a pitbull and it stealthily walked behind her or something doesnt mean that they should be banned.
Would you trust a pitbull alone with your child for 4 or 5 hours?
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #139
TheUntouchable
banned
 
TheUntouchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 23,975
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Williams View Post
Would you trust a pitbull alone with your child for 4 or 5 hours?
I wouldn't trust any dog that I'm not familiar with my child alone for 4 or 5 hours. If I had a pitbull that I raised and trusted, I would have no problem with it.
TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #140
quantummechanic
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: phoenix, AZ
Posts: 719
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

I think we should be less worried about the breeding of pit bulls and more worried about letting the uneducated, lazy, "victimized", crime ridden families to continue to have children. All things, whether they're people OR dogs become a product of their environment. If a dog has a bad owner who doesn't distinguish right from wrong, chances are the dog will be bad. If a child has a bad parent, same thing. Nothing is born bad, not even a pit bull. Its the conditioning. Period.

I have a pit bull, and he is the best, most loving creature I've ever been around. My dog has never once been aggressive towards another human, we go running at the park and 6 year old children come up to my dog and give him hugs. He licks them to death. Why? Because I have loved my dog and conditioned him to know that people are going to be loving towards HIM. Show me a bad person, and you will find a bad dog...whether its a pit bull or whatever. People should stop blaming pit bulls for so much violence, and start blaming just flat out bad fkng people. Look around, there are plenty of them...
quantummechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #141
cplo42
old hand
 
cplo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,779
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Williams View Post
Would you trust a pitbull alone with your child for 4 or 5 hours?
no

who leaves their children alone with dogs for hours? What are you even talking about
cplo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #142
Victor
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 58,937
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

my old roommate had a predominately collie that was super sweet until it was like 3 and then it would growl and be aggressive towards strangers we encountered on walks. was still super affectionate to neighbors it had known but i couldnt introduce it to new ppl or kids.

def wasnt gonna attack and kill or anything but mebbe bite. i dunno, dog gonna dog.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #143
cplo42
old hand
 
cplo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,779
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
my old roommate had a predominately collie that was super sweet until it was like 3 and then it would growl and be aggressive towards strangers we encountered on walks. was still super affectionate to neighbors it had known but i couldnt introduce it to new ppl or kids.

def wasnt gonna attack and kill or anything but mebbe bite. i dunno, dog gonna dog.
ban all collies imo
cplo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #144
Dolt
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 168
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplo42 View Post
ban all collies imo
Right because isolated incidents are no different from widespread commonplace aggression.

Why hasn't anyone started a "Should collies be allowed to breed?" thread.
Dolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #145
FrankieBigNuts
banned
 
FrankieBigNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 788
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantummechanic View Post
I think we should be less worried about the breeding of pit bulls and more worried about letting the uneducated, lazy, "victimized", crime ridden families to continue to have children. All things, whether they're people OR dogs become a product of their environment. If a dog has a bad owner who doesn't distinguish right from wrong, chances are the dog will be bad. If a child has a bad parent, same thing. Nothing is born bad, not even a pit bull. Its the conditioning. Period.

I have a pit bull, and he is the best, most loving creature I've ever been around. My dog has never once been aggressive towards another human, we go running at the park and 6 year old children come up to my dog and give him hugs. He licks them to death. Why? Because I have loved my dog and conditioned him to know that people are going to be loving towards HIM. Show me a bad person, and you will find a bad dog...whether its a pit bull or whatever. People should stop blaming pit bulls for so much violence, and start blaming just flat out bad fkng people. Look around, there are plenty of them...
humans generally aren't the target, it's other animals that they have been bred to be highly aggressive towards.



"Show me a bad person, and you will find a bad dog...whether its a pit bull or whatever."

nah.

you gonna tell me that a beagle under the exact same bad circumstances is going to be a holy hell mauling machine just the same as the pitbull?
FrankieBigNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #146
Matt Williams
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,112
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplo42 View Post
no

who leaves their children alone with dogs for hours? What are you even talking about
Untouchable was saying that pitbulls aren't dangerous if trained properly. I happen to disagree.

Do I really need to answer your question about people leaving dogs with children? It happens all the time.

BTW- I didn't vote to ban breeding. I think they are useful when owners use them for what they were origionally intended to be used for. But I don't think recreational owners should be allowed to have pitbulls just because they like them or their style or for protection. Just like I don't think recreational owners should be allowed to have exotic snakes or lions as pets.
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 AM   #147
cplo42
old hand
 
cplo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,779
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieBigNuts View Post

you gonna tell me that a beagle under the exact same bad circumstances is going to be a holy hell mauling machine just the same as the pitbull?
probably not, but it could still do damage.

ban beagles imo

hell lets just ban every dog, it would make the world a safer place, amirite?
cplo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #148
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 46,612
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Similar story - "pitbull" (or w/e you know what I'm talking about) had latched onto another dog and about 7 guys including me holding both dogs trying to get the pit to let go. We finally pried it's mouth open with a big stick.

The problem I have with "pitbulls" is that they can seem very calm and then bite. A mean German Shepard will be barking it's head off and snarling and all that, but a pit can just calmly bite someone. And then of course they are such powerful biters and don't wanna let go.

A problem with fighting dogs is that people breed (present tense intentional) them for fighting. That's already illegal, but it's still done very widely. Outlawing breeding won't change this. Also, it's very hard to define what a pitbull or fighting dog is and that would make any kind of a ban very difficult. You know it when you see it, isn't good enough.

A lot of "pitbulls" are good dogs too. I don't mind them myself and I'll pet them, but I don't let my kids. For one thing, dog owners tend to underestimate how dangerous their dogs are. My sister-in-law rescues pitbulls and she thinks they are all angels, but she's had some stitches herself.

Rambling I know, but w/e - I don't think there's a perfect solution here.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #149
cplo42
old hand
 
cplo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,779
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Williams View Post
Untouchable was saying that pitbulls aren't dangerous if trained properly. I happen to disagree.

Do I really need to answer your question about people leaving dogs with children? It happens all the time.

BTW- I didn't vote to ban breeding. I think they are useful when owners use them for what they were origionally intended to be used for. But I don't think recreational owners should be allowed to have pitbulls just because they like them or their style or for protection. Just like I don't think recreational owners should be allowed to have exotic snakes or lions as pets.
right, but the thing is ALL dogs are dangerous if trained properly. Some moreso than others, but I dont think you should get to decide where that cutoff is. All dogs or no dogs imo.
cplo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #150
john voight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
john voight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,540
Re: Should pit bulls be allowed to breed?

OP, I have one, and I agree, you need to have license or something.
My dog is very kind, and well behaved. The most intelligent dog I have encountered.

Maybe we trained her well, maybe she was just genetically smart.
Shes not 100 pitbull. 50/50 lab mix.
But... there is no doubt she could kill a young kid if she wanted to.

Shes small, maybe 50-70 lbs, but man those jaws are sick. And she can be vicious if provoked by humans/dogs. she interacts w/ strangers and dogs all the time. In in 7 years or w/e she has only gotten angry 2-3 times. Always b/c someone else (dog or human) instigates it.

IMO they are one of the best dogs out there though. Proud, strong and loving. You just have to be responsible and loving back.
john voight is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online