Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #126
KennyJPowers
adept
 
KennyJPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,179
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy! View Post
Or is the man keeping you down by having you pay daily for a shortening of your own life? Pretty sure 'the man' is on the side of us smoking as much as we can.
Good point! im no economic expert but think that the tax on cigarettes from a lifelong smoker could definitely outweigh their lifespan economic worth.

Just not a fan of the nanny state.
KennyJPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #127
Rexx14
veteran
 
Rexx14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,570
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namath12 View Post
This seems pretty accurate to me.

The thing I personally miss most about smoking is being able to **** off at work 1/4 of the day like my smoker co-workers.
This actually really ****s me off that smokers feel entitled to all these extra breaks and a lot of employers don't seem to care! Plus they smell disgusting when they come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpuig View Post
I'm a nonsmoker but these bans are ridiculous. I'm all for banning smoking in places people have to go like airports, grocery stores or hospitals but no one has to go to a bar. As far as out door smoking bans go they are all ridiculous when you consider the toxins cars put into the air.
What about the workers at the bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpuig View Post
I agree with smoking bans in poker rooms because you are sitting so close. But I wouldn't have a problem with smoking games if they were far enough away from non smoking tables.
Again see above. Try dealing cards for a shift as a non smoker surrounded by people smoking filthy cigarettes.
Rexx14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #128
ninetynine99
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ninetynine99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Who wants to know?
Posts: 9,005
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy! View Post
More freedom, not less imo.
Definitely agree that freedom from smokers is the way to go!
ninetynine99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #129
the degenerate
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,273
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyJPowers View Post
What is this huge fascination with living longer and longer
This is actually a reasonable question
the degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 AM   #130
diddy!
Twas diddyeinstein
 
diddy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,793
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine99 View Post
Definitely agree that freedom from smokers is the way to go!
No, not your freedom, my freedom.
diddy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:24 AM   #131
kid kahlua
enthusiast
 
kid kahlua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 84
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmgGlutten! View Post
Can you explain why the act of smoking cigarettes is more enjoyable than taking nicotine in another form as you alluded to?
idk, why enjoy a nice steak when you can just shove it up your ass?
kid kahlua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:53 AM   #132
diddy!
Twas diddyeinstein
 
diddy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,793
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

I like the big full lungs of smoke aspect. Not just for cigs either.
diddy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #133
uradoodooface
veteran
 
uradoodooface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,043
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Ya cuz it's just cigarettes. I'd say we just need to get rid of this over consuming culture, doesn't matter what drug, food, sex, or just binging tv there's a lot of really ****ing disgusting human beings out there. What's more ****ed is learning about how ad agencies work with psychologists to in a sense condition us to want more and more. Pretty ****ed when science is used to weaken people en mass on impulse control. It's as if people are getting programed to be bigger white trash.
uradoodooface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #134
Stinky Stu
Pooh-Bah
 
Stinky Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the back nine.
Posts: 4,060
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Make McDonald's illegal while you're at it. That crap is foul.

Where do you draw the line?
Stinky Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #135
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,753
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Stu View Post
Make McDonald's illegal while you're at it. That crap is foul.

Where do you draw the line?
I don't like McDonalds either, but I don't have to eat it, and it's extremely rare that I even have to smell it, as most people eat it alone or in the restaurant. If someone does happen to be eating it near me, I have to smell it, but at least it doesn't cause me any permanent health damage.

See the difference now?
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #136
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 7,354
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

OP - you sound like a social justice warrior, which means you are inherently stupid as are your opinions.

You are not entitled to dictate how other people get to enjoy a public beach, nor are you entitled to determine what other people put into their bodies.

You are entitled to your own opinion, regardless of how daft it is
thabighurt35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #137
Stinky Stu
Pooh-Bah
 
Stinky Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the back nine.
Posts: 4,060
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
I don't like McDonalds either, but I don't have to eat it, and it's extremely rare that I even have to smell it, as most people eat it alone or in the restaurant. If someone does happen to be eating it near me, I have to smell it, but at least it doesn't cause me any permanent health damage.

See the difference now?
Not really. The odor of that garbage makes me sick to my stomach.
I'm sure you're not inhaling enough secondhand smoke to cause you any "permanent health damage." If you are, then you're hanging out in the wrong places.

P.S. I'm not a smoker.
Stinky Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #138
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,753
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

I avoid places with a lot of smoke, as well as places with a lot of McDonalds eating. But I can't imagine how someone could fail to see the difference between smoking and these other habits people have which are bad for the people who do them.

There have been scientific studies showing health problems from second hand smoke, that is why smoking has been banned in most public places.
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #139
Stinky Stu
Pooh-Bah
 
Stinky Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the back nine.
Posts: 4,060
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
I avoid places with a lot of smoke, as well as places with a lot of McDonalds eating. But I can't imagine how someone could fail to see the difference between smoking and these other habits people have which are bad for the people who do them.
Tell that to the cow you're about to eat.
Stinky Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #140
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 7,354
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Stu View Post
Tell that to the cow you're about to eat.
but they find it offensive and it is unhealthy, therefore nobody should be allowed to do it.

it is hard to try and use logic when dealing with these people, but good luck
thabighurt35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #141
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,753
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Stu View Post
Tell that to the cow you're about to eat.
Lol, way to make assumptions as well as a non-sequitur.
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #142
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,753
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabighurt35 View Post
...nor are you entitled to determine what other people put into their bodies...

but they find it offensive and it is unhealthy, therefore nobody should be allowed to do it.
Smoking is unhealthy to other people nearby, unlike all these other habits. Therefore it should be in a totally different category. Seems pretty logical to me. You seem to think smokers are entitled to determine what nor-smokers put into their bodies, if you think people should be allowed to smoke in public places. It is not the equivalent of someone in a public place eating McDonalds, but of them shoving their McDonalds down your throat.
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #143
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 37,385
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
Smoking is unhealthy to other people nearby, unlike all these other habits. Therefore it should be in a totally different category. Seems pretty logical to me. You seem to think smokers are entitled to determine what nor-smokers put into their bodies, if you think people should be allowed to smoke in public places. It is not the equivalent of someone in a public place eating McDonalds, but of them shoving their McDonalds down your throat.
Pretty sure if you drink or do other drugs you can theoretically be unhealthy for others like if they're driving intoxicated.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #144
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,753
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone0 View Post
Pretty sure if you drink or do other drugs you can theoretically be unhealthy for others like if they're driving intoxicated.
Yes, and I think there should be HUGE penalties for harming people while intoxicated as well. For example, I think someone who kills while drunk driving should be charged with manslaughter and imprisoned. But the act of someone drinking in public doesn't inherently harm others like smoking in public does.

By the way, I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, or eat at McDonalds, and I think all are repulsive, unhealthy, and unwise.
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #145
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 69.20.56.132
Posts: 43,102
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

The amount of smoking, at least here in California now, is tolerable even though I really hate smoking. Going back to 1970 and people smoking everywhere would really suck.

I don't think it should be banned, but somehow, shunning, PSAs or law or something, it should be somewhat suppressed and restricted.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #146
thabighurt35
**** you Monday
 
thabighurt35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Making Baby Haterz My Bitch
Posts: 7,354
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabighurt35 View Post
but they find it offensive and it is unhealthy, therefore nobody should be allowed to do it.

it is hard to try and use logic when dealing with these people, but good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
Smoking is unhealthy to other people nearby, unlike all these other habits. Therefore it should be in a totally different category. Seems pretty logical to me. You seem to think smokers are entitled to determine what nor-smokers put into their bodies, if you think people should be allowed to smoke in public places. It is not the equivalent of someone in a public place eating McDonalds, but of them shoving their McDonalds down your throat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thabighurt35 View Post
but they find it offensive and it is unhealthy, therefore nobody should be allowed to do it.

it is hard to try and use logic when dealing with these people, but good luck
i mean, i dont know what else to say
thabighurt35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #147
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 37,385
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

just visit some countries abroad (europe, most of asia) if you want to see how it was in the 70s here when it came to smoking.
capone0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #148
Stinky Stu
Pooh-Bah
 
Stinky Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the back nine.
Posts: 4,060
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
I avoid places with a lot of smoke, as well as places with a lot of McDonalds eating. But I can't imagine how someone could fail to see the difference between smoking and these other habits people have which are bad for the people who do them.

There have been scientific studies showing health problems from second hand smoke, that is why smoking has been banned in most public places.
Your argument also supports banning cars. Their exhaust is deadly.
Stinky Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #149
Stinky Stu
Pooh-Bah
 
Stinky Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the back nine.
Posts: 4,060
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
Lol, way to make assumptions as well as a non-sequitur.
It was a sarcastic remark. You can argue against anything.

The point is personal freedom.
Stinky Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #150
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 9,753
Re: Should cigarettes be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Stu View Post
Your argument also supports banning cars. Their exhaust is deadly.
Yes, and cars generally aren't allowed to be running in public places other than those specifically designed for their use.
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online