Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

View Poll Results: The best?
Yes 273 36.94%
No 466 63.06%
Voters: 739. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #601
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Microbob, just stop man, seriously. This is getting embarrassing. You don't have to like Radiohead, but basically everything Halowax is saying about them and your argument is correct.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #602
bnrocks
veteran
 
bnrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bahston
Posts: 2,375
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

If nothing else, Halowax has put together some well thought out arguments that clearly demonstrate his knowledge on the subject that I enjoyed reading.
bnrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #603
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

salt - Except for the part about whether I can get or understand the music when it is being argued that I don't.

His points on RH's side are definitely interesting. His claims about me aren't accurate though.

Last edited by MicroBob; 12-08-2009 at 11:25 PM.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #604
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

bnrocks - I agree that some of his input is really interesting and I have learned some from him as well. To the extent that I even tried listening to them YET AGAIN (when I previously didn't think I would want to).

The Dave Matthews quote is somewhat interesting too. This, of course, is more relevant if you don't think such accolades from him actually hurt your cause more than help (lame attempt at a humorous DMB slam). Some might view the DM quote on RH's side as a slam-dunk win for MY view actually (har har....it's a joke...lighten-up everyone!!)
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #605
Halowax
Pooh-Bah
 
Halowax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brand new blue Tiger-fitted New Era
Posts: 3,643
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
halo - Wow. What an over-the-top response...

LOL at you breaking down a few of the bands I mentioned like that...and trying to use it to insult me. WTF?
Listen, I apologize if you were offended by what I wrote. I was certainly being hyperbolic in my arguments and it was simply for humors sake because you keep trying to argue an inarguable point. When I said you "lacked depth", I meant it solely in the context of music appreciation. Other than that comment, I am not so sure why you think I was personally attacking you?

Also, like I said, I really love almost all of the bands you listed, and I don't in any way think that you liking them makes you any less of a person, and I am not sure how you got that impression? I was breaking down the bands in an attempt to analyze the music from an objective perspective and compare it to the rhythmic/melodic qualities of Radiohead, and If in doing so I came across as overly harsh towards you, I sincerely am sorry.

I do think it is really silly to create a musical identity based on snobbishness, and a "narrow range" of appreciation. I definitely think that it is better in music, as it is in poker, to be able to maintain a "wide range". If you are able to really listen to something with open ears, you might find something you like where you least expected. There is some really good country (Cash, Loretta Lynn), and some really good Britney songs, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
Look, your reasons why you think I don't like RH are not correct. Do you even care about that?
Ummm, I am rather certain I specifically addressed every single argument you presented concerning their suckiness, and then readdressed your rebuttals, with quotes no less, so it would be easy for anyone to follow who just jumped itt. If I have misinterpreted the reasons why you do not like Radiohead, the burden is solely on you.

I am not going to restate the already stated respnses, but it seemed that your points were:

-Radiohead, unlike other musical acts you don't appreciate (Beatles, nirvana, metallica) are not actually talented musicians.
-They are self indulgent.
-They are pretending to be deep.
-Just because they use odd time signatures, that doesn't make them good.
-You don't like Thom's voice.
-You are a music snob, and you don't like them, so Radiohead=suck.

Every single one of these points was addressed, and some of them multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
Oh goody...they made a technically challenging song in 5/4 time or something. Is that really why I'm supposed to drool over them? As I said previously in this thread: I suspect the vast majority of RH fans have no idea they are listening to something in 5/4 time. They just hear a quirky rhythm and Thom's vocals and it reaches them emotionally.

The blend of music just works for them as well as Thom's emotional stylings (when they aren't whining about the change of direction from one release to the next). They aren't singing along at the concert to a song like Creep (or any other song) because of how they think it's technically superior. They just like the feel of the song and perhaps are reached by the lyrics as well.
ZOMG YES!! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!

...and likewise, you simply do not emotionally connect with the music, which I have said multiple times... and, yet, you keep maintaining that it isn't a matter of connecting with the music, and that they actually do in fact "suck".

The only reason I kept addressing that point is because you keep trying to objectively argue that they actually lack talent, innovation, and influence, when that is so patently false. It is simply a matter of emotional resonance, and for whatever reason, the music does not resonate with you... but it does with an incontestable majority of music appreciators who would be willing to claim that Radiohead is, in fact, "THE BEST BAND OF OUR TIME", whether you like it or not...

...so, I would say that you not liking them, well, it's kind of like me not liking olives...


Last edited by Halowax; 12-09-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Halowax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:27 AM   #606
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Okay Halo, I appreciate the apology. I guess I misinterpreted the drive of your post so I also appreciate the clarification. I still think the tone was pretty insulting in places but the sarcasm stuff sometimes goes the wrong way on the internet so no biggie.

Anyway, the part about me that I am saying is incorrect was some of this stuff:

Quote:
Also, it seems like you are holding on to the past as a point of what is good and what is not. It should be noted that not one act you listed has released any quality or substantive material this century, with the exception of YLT and Johnny Cash, and none of the bands you named started their careers after... what... like 1990?

Your tastes aren't even obscure, they are just narrow, and dated.
I don't think I am holding onto the past as much as you probably think nor do I believe my taste is as dated as you probably think. Perhaps somewhat in that I certainly know more Cure than your average 20 year old. But I don't believe this to be the reason for my distaste for RH.

I also think you are reading too much into the "self-indulgent" line which I borrowed from someone else and which, by my own admission, isn't exactly uncommon for a lot of bands as you were observing. I'm trying to find the best way to describe my view on this.



Quote:
...and likewise, you simply do not emotionally connect with the music, which I have said multiple times... and, yet, you keep maintaining that it isn't a matter of connecting with the music, and that they actually do in fact "suck".
Yes. It's about connecting and my view on what should or shouldn't be "connect-worthy." And this will pretty much always be the case for different forms of media/art for anyone I think (along with the bit about trying to more precisely consider the technical aspects).

The fact that I don't connect with them in and of itself isn't the whole thing here. I also don't really connect with The Beatles or Nirvana all that much but I think they were significant bands and don't think either of them sucks.

I also don't connect with the movie Howard the Duck. To somebody else it might be the most meaningful and deepest and the all-time best film they've ever seen. From my point of view this isn't going to be just a matter of, "well, if it's that meaningful to you then I guess it's just a matter of personal preference." To me, it's just a bad film.

You can tell me over and over again that it's just a matter of personal taste on RH as to why I don't like them and that they just aren't my cup of tea. But that is not my view of them. I make a distinction between bands that just don't move me that much or I don't care that much about vs. bands that I think just aren't good. We've kind of been going around and around on that point obviously.

Last edited by MicroBob; 12-09-2009 at 02:49 AM.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #607
ham on rye
Pooh-Bah
 
ham on rye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: brevity is the soul of wat
Posts: 5,304
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
I still believe they are lacking in talent and that their supposed innovation and influence is overrated.
And this is why people should just ignore you and stop turning this thread into a "get MicroBob to embarrass himself" essay contest. You can hate listening to Radiohead all you want but anyone who has ever achieved any degree of technical skill or understanding in music will tell you that they are very talented and accomplished musicians. Anyone who is familiar with contemporary rock and its various sub-genres (which, by your stated preferences, you clearly aren't) will tell you that they have been tremendously influential. These are objective facts. I think a lot of the other arguments about the subjectivity of art and the validity of your layman's opinion vs. critical acclaim are less than perfect, but when you make arguments like the one I quoted above you cross the line from a matter of taste into a matter of fact. And the fact is you are ignorant about contemporary music and your opinion isn't worth the toilet paper it ought to be printed on.
ham on rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #608
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Ham - That's a reasonable post (although the last line is a bit unnecessarily harsh). I do think I'm more familiar with today's music than you might think though. Certainly not as much as you are. Just more than I suspect you are currently assuming/believing of me.

In many bands that I think are more closely associated with RH I'm hearing other influences that I think are more pronounced. And some of that is stuff that was done before RH. That's all I was getting at on the influence issue. It kind of varies and bounces around of course because RH has had some different sounds. And I admit I don't read enough music mags and articles to know whether a band like Doves have said that RH was huge for them or whether they were bigger fans of Verve or Beta Band or Yo La Tengo or none of the above.

To me it kind of feels like any pseudo blend of shoe-gaze with pop or some of the other things RH has been doing with more electronica or trippier type stuff gets a "clearly RH influenced" tag and I'm not sure that's correct.

Last edited by MicroBob; 12-09-2009 at 03:32 AM.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #609
72off
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
72off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WATZ POPPIIN!!
Posts: 62,140
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
...I also don't connect with the movie Howard the Duck. To somebody else it might be the most meaningful and deepest and the all-time best film they've ever seen. From my point of view this isn't going to be just a matter of, "well, if it's that meaningful to you then I guess it's just a matter of personal preference." To me, it's just a bad film...
Cool analogy, brah.

Aren't you getting tired of this? I feel like the last 500 post itt are "MBob doesn't like Radiohead". We get it. I really don't know what you want here, unless you're on a 1-man crusade to convince the world that Radiohead are the musical equivalent of Howard the ****ing Duck.

But you know what, the ECHL is actually the "Howard the Duck" of hockey. True story...
72off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #610
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,345
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Howard the Duck, lol. A proper analogy would be something like I don't connect with "2001:ASO", Stanley Kubrick has no eye for cinema. Because I don't like it. And I'm not wrong.
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #611
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,506
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

This is easily one of the worst posting crusades of the year.
aoFrantic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #612
Lampshade151
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 683
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Iron Maiden, if we're including old bands that are still active. X Japan and Dream Theater, too.

Agalloch and Mastodon come to mind. Perhaps Ulver, Opeth, Stratovarius, Edguy, and Kamelot.

In other words, listen to more metal.
Lampshade151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #613
vixticator
clutch
 
vixticator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Watch the throne
Posts: 117,345
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

How can you not like No Surprises?
vixticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #614
wikemang
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 3,543
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

I really like Radiohead, but I don't think I could say they are the best band of our time.
wikemang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #615
bicolor_le_bond
adept
 
bicolor_le_bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ****
Posts: 1,092
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham on rye View Post
And this is why people should just ignore you and stop turning this thread into a "get MicroBob to embarrass himself" essay contest. You can hate listening to Radiohead all you want but anyone who has ever achieved any degree of technical skill or understanding in music will tell you that they are very talented and accomplished musicians. Anyone who is familiar with contemporary rock and its various sub-genres (which, by your stated preferences, you clearly aren't) will tell you that they have been tremendously influential. These are objective facts. I think a lot of the other arguments about the subjectivity of art and the validity of your layman's opinion vs. critical acclaim are less than perfect, but when you make arguments like the one I quoted above you cross the line from a matter of taste into a matter of fact. And the fact is you are ignorant about contemporary music and your opinion isn't worth the toilet paper it ought to be printed on.
Why is a such a big deal that MicroBob does not like Radiohead? OP's question is who is the "best" band of all time - this is so open to interpretation that any subjective opinion, however crude, is valid.
bicolor_le_bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #616
JasonInDallas
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Foothills
Posts: 6,899
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

This thread rules. I don't even like RH but it's funny to see all the fanboys come out of the woodwork.
JasonInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #617
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicolor_le_bond View Post
Why is a such a big deal that MicroBob does not like Radiohead? OP's question is who is the "best" band of all time - this is so open to interpretation that any subjective opinion, however crude, is valid.
hehehe, this has little to do with the FACT that Microbob doesn't like Radiohead. It now has way more to do with Microbob's attempt to prove that Radiohead are not talented musicians.


This entire thread turned from obnoxiously pretentious to comically bad and lolworthy thanks to Microbob, so I guess we should thank him for "saving" this thread.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #618
Beatngreet415
veteran
 
Beatngreet415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: the Sucka Free City
Posts: 3,068
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Bumping to point out the Rolling Stone came out with its own list of best albums of the decade with Kid A as #1 and In Rainbows (which I don't agree with) not far behind. This is mainly noteworthy because
a) RS supports an increasingly mainstream corps of artists, and
b) the voting panel included music stars including Lil Wayne, Metallica, and Coldplay (who to be fair we all knew were the biggest RH fanboys on Earth.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto..._the_decade/44
Beatngreet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #619
GMontag
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,599
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixticator View Post
Howard the Duck, lol. A proper analogy would be something like I don't connect with "2001:ASO", Stanley Kubrick has no eye for cinema. Because I don't like it. And I'm not wrong.
A much more apt analogy would be to Benjamin Button, where critical acclaim and technical mastery didn't prevent the movie from being a boring pile of ****.
GMontag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #620
Transa
banned
 
Transa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,012
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

The Bends is easily one of the greatest albums of all time - and it isnt even their most popular!
Transa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #621
Charlie.Dont.Surf
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: deceased
Posts: 2,837
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikemang View Post
I really like Radiohead, but I don't think I could say they are the best band of our time.
I don't like them, in fact I'd probably pay someone in order to get them to turn it off...but it is obvious they they are super talented and heavily influenced a ton of people. Bad comparison but I'm sure tons of people hated or didn't get Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys but you can't deny that he was sick talented and heavily influenced people(namely the Beatles).

Now for the greatest band of our time? Def. not.
If so...it is really sad that the greatest band of our time never gets or got any airplay on the radio.

I'd say my "greatest rock band of my time(mid to late 80s,90s,00s)" would be something along the lines of:

U2
Metallica
Alice in Chains
RHCP
maybe Guns n Roses/Nirvana

sadly nothing from the uh oh decade(2000s) makes the cut.
Charlie.Dont.Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #622
Bovvaboy
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 636
Smile Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.Dont.Surf View Post
I don't like them, in fact I'd probably pay someone in order to get them to turn it off...but it is obvious they they are super talented and heavily influenced a ton of people. Bad comparison but I'm sure tons of people hated or didn't get Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys but you can't deny that he was sick talented and heavily influenced people(namely the Beatles).

Now for the greatest band of our time? Def. not.
If so...it is really sad that the greatest band of our time never gets or got any airplay on the radio.

I'd say my "greatest rock band of my time(mid to late 80s,90s,00s)" would be something along the lines of:

U2
Metallica
Alice in Chains
RHCP
maybe Guns n Roses/Nirvana

sadly nothing from the uh oh decade(2000s) makes the cut.
I thought U2 were a political party seriously bono makes me wanna spew whenever i see him. edge, an overated guitarist, , larry average drummer, and adam a really good if not great bass player. put all that together and you have a great band but unfortunately bono ruins it for me.

Metallica.....sellouts
Bovvaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #623
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,506
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.Dont.Surf View Post
I don't like them, in fact I'd probably pay someone in order to get them to turn it off...but it is obvious they they are super talented and heavily influenced a ton of people. Bad comparison but I'm sure tons of people hated or didn't get Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys but you can't deny that he was sick talented and heavily influenced people(namely the Beatles).

Now for the greatest band of our time? Def. not.
If so...it is really sad that the greatest band of our time never gets or got any airplay on the radio.

I'd say my "greatest rock band of my time(mid to late 80s,90s,00s)" would be something along the lines of:

U2
Metallica
Alice in Chains
RHCP
maybe Guns n Roses/Nirvana

sadly nothing from the uh oh decade(2000s) makes the cut.
You're old and aren't a fan of (new) music. Thanks for the opinion though! I don't get the argument for a band's airplay, when in "our time" no one buys CDs or listens to the radio. Again, this thread is not titled "most popular band of our time (although the results and responses would likely be the same)." Your point completely contradicts this era in music. If you haven't done anything for 15+ years, you're not in this discussion.

Being a radiohead troll and not as funny as Microbob 600+ posts into the thread makes a useless post though.
aoFrantic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 AM   #624
BucketFoot
grinder
 
BucketFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 500
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

After reading the beginning of this thread and hearing those marginally adequate songs OP posted, I feel the need to share some great work from musicians of the current generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcjXo8ZuqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QDVnp-Qbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJR-doOWf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpbkM...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDocdxSwv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjFZ1Lo_B2w
BucketFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #625
Specialist
journeyman
 
Specialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 291
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketFoot View Post
After reading the beginning of this thread and hearing those marginally adequate songs OP posted, I feel the need to share some great work from musicians of the current generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcjXo8ZuqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QDVnp-Qbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJR-doOWf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpbkM...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDocdxSwv0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjFZ1Lo_B2w
I'll save everybody the clicks. Joe Satriani, buckethead, wank wank wank. If I wanna see shredding, I'll go watch Paco de Lucia.
Specialist is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive