Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

View Poll Results: The best?
Yes 273 36.94%
No 466 63.06%
Voters: 739. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #576
hagbard celine 2.0
journeyman
 
hagbard celine 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: black panther party apparently
Posts: 216
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
I never really put much energy into RH either before this thread. Similar to Celine Dion or something...if I know they suck I'm not interested in listening to them. Imagine if you came here and saw a thread titled "Celine Dion: Best Artist of our time." And then a bunch of people saying, "she may not be your style but you can't deny that she's beautiful and that her voice is very pleasing."

Ummm, yeah...I'm pretty sure I can deny that.

If you wouldn't have a reaction to that then that's on you I guess. I would have some dispute with that.

Anyway, moreso than pretty much any band who I think is terrible I decided to give RH a try....over and over unfortunately.

I mean...I don't really care about Celine Dion either and I don't spend any time thinking about her. I've caught a few seconds of some of her songs here and there I guess and I already know she annoys the crap out of me and that's all I need. But if I'm with a bunch of people who are all insisting to me why I should like her and how amazing she is I'm going to get a bit annoyed in that conversation as well and I'm not very likely to give in there either.
how can you not understand that you not liking something doesn't mean that it sucks?

your taste is not the measure of a talented musician. therefore, simply because you don't care for radiohead, it doesn't mean that they are terrible or bad musicians or that they suck. all it means is that you don't like the music that they make.

halowax's point that radiohead is the musician's band of choice shouldn't be ignored, and sort of proves that they don't suck at making music. and that in general their music is not considered to be terrible, certainly not by people who can and do make music themselves.

you seem like an otherwise intelligent person, and i assume that you're simply being intentionally obtuse in order to be able to argue with him, but i just found it such an offensive argument that i felt compelled to comment.

also, i'm all up on their nuts too, obviously.

great post, halo.
hagbard celine 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #577
demon102
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
demon102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,259
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Just found this thread. Op is joking right?
demon102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #578
NikoNiko
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 117
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halowax View Post
If we are trying to assess this topic with even the slightest amount of objectivity, this is not really open for disussion. If you were to poll every musician and music critic in the western world, there is absolutely zero chance of any other musical act having a larger share of the votes. They are the greatest band of our time (2nd half of 90s and 00s) in the same way that The Beatles are the greatest band of the 60s, and Floyd was the 70s, Nirvana was the first half of the 90s, and IDK about the 80s but it seems like it would be between MJ/U2/GNR/.



I mean, this is also not something that is really up for debate; you are simply incorrect. Radiohead are the Musicians Band of choice, AINEC. The biggest proof to this point is the 2008 Grammy Awards. The mere fact that they were appearing got the entire music community's panties in a bind. Huge pop stars Miley and Kanye acted like crazed fans and made news the following week because they felt "dissed" by Radiohead for not introducing themselves, crying on their blogs and on The View. Quest Love spent the whole night tweeting about them and how lucky he was to be invited to their after Party. They are the kings of the music industry, and that is just a fact.

As far as their actual musical influence, that is equally widespread. Not only are they one of the most often named influences in interviews with indie/rock, but they get a ton of hype from the Hip Hop world as well. Pretty sure The Roots, Outkast, and Wu Tang have all dropped their name on record, in addition to citing them as an influence. And, jfc, Paul Mccartney even tips his cap, and went as far to grab their producer, Nigel Godrich (The George Martin of our time), to make an album.

As far as Innovation goes, your argument is in slightly better shape. They aren't always necessarily the first to do what they do, they just do it better (and usually get the credit). The electro-rock of Kid A and the "Pay What you Will Model" being the best examples.

Their technical skills and musical innovation is pretty phenomenal, though. Johnny Greenwood is an incredibly innovative musician with either a guitar in his hand, or behind a sampler. All of their albums are meticulously constructed with the aide of one of the best producers in the business. They make odd time signatures sound effortless and natural in a pop setting, and most of all, they are somehow able to recreate near perfectly their recorded work in a live setting. They are absolute perfectionists, and it never ceases to amaze me how incredible they are live.



I am always dumbfounded when people use the word EMO to describe Radiohead. I mean, have you listened to more than Creep/Fake Plastic Trees? Honestly, I think there are < 10 songs total in their catalog that have anything to do with love, or relationships. They don't make woe is me, sobbing on my pillow, heart break music; they make I'm gonna kick your teeth in, bring on the apocalypse, motha ****in invincibility music.

I cant stand pretty much every band that is categorized as emo, but I ****ing love Radiohead.


Whatever it is, I feel sorry for you, man. I consider listening to Radiohead one of the greatest pleasures in life, and some of the most powerful memories I have are associated with experiencing their music. I really hope you arent just like the "**** THe Beatles" guy, and just decide because everyone else is up on their dick, you are gonna hate. If so, you are really doing yourself a disservice.

Keep throwing it at the wall till it sticks, imo.
few if any have the range, vision and musical integrity of these cats. Purely awesome in every sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXO9KUaI8KM
NikoNiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 AM   #579
Halowax
Pooh-Bah
 
Halowax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brand new blue Tiger-fitted New Era
Posts: 3,643
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoNiko View Post
few if any have the range, vision and musical integrity of these cats. Purely awesome in every sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXO9KUaI8KM
Hmmm... your screen name is my actual name x 2 and you just posted a link to my favorite song... after quoting my post... creepy.
Halowax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #580
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard celine 2.0 View Post
how can you not understand that you not liking something doesn't mean that it sucks?

your taste is not the measure of a talented musician. therefore, simply because you don't care for radiohead, it doesn't mean that they are terrible or bad musicians or that they suck. all it means is that you don't like the music that they make.

Arrgh. We've already been around and around on this already in this thread.

I do think that they suck. And I do understand the difference.

Metallica and The Beatles and Nirvana are examples of a few bands who I don't really care for all that much who I think are all big deals and I also think are talented musicians. I do not believe RH qualifies. I do think they suck.

I don't know what you want me to do to change that opinion. Just lie that I don't think they suck even though I do? There really isn't anything more I can do on this (because I really don't feel like trying to give them yet ANOTHER chance). I do not believe I am capable of changing my opinion of how much they suck no matter how offended you are about it or how much you should want me to.

Do you just want to tell me some more people who think they are great and think that should change my mind?


I don't know how many musicians or other musically knowledgeable people out there might somewhat agree with my position on them. I'm thinking there probably are some but I don't really feel like looking into it.

And I'm guessing that if some member of Pink Floyd or Verve or U2 or whoever else weren't a huge fan of RH he's not exactly likely to go out of his way to slam them and talk about how much he thinks they suck. I guess that happens sometimes between bands or artists but I just don't think it happens all that often and, more often than not, musicians keep a lot of those types of negative comments to themselves, don't they?
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #581
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

MicroBob what band would you vote for? I want to get a sense of what music you like do understand how this person who gives such epic music such a chance still hates it. If I know your other tastes maybe it will make sense to me.
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:38 AM   #582
Halowax
Pooh-Bah
 
Halowax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brand new blue Tiger-fitted New Era
Posts: 3,643
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
Metallica and The Beatles and Nirvana are examples of a few bands who I don't really care for all that much who I think are all big deals and I also think are talented musicians. I do not believe RH qualifies. I do think they suck.
I mean... using Nirvana as one of your examples is really not helping your case. From a purely technical perspective, there just isn't any comparison in musicianship or songwriting.

I am a huge Nirvana Fan, and I think Kurt is a fantastic songwriter, but saying four chord songs in common time, with simple pentatonic (sometime even one or two notes) guitar solos/vocal melodies warrants the title of talented musician but Radiohead's rather complex song structure (for pop music), use of odd time signatures, and incredible technical proficiency = They Suck, is just ludicrous. (I realize not all Nirvana or Radiohead songs fit those descriptions for the nits out there)

Amongst that group of four bands, Radiohead are definitely the most talented group of musicians, ainec. They could, without much practice, cover the entire catalog of any of the other groups (ok, perhaps some difficulty with Metallica drum parts), whilst the other bands would struggle at doing justice to a fraction of Radioheads complete catalog. This does not necessarily attest to the quality of songwriting, but does speak to their talent as musicians.

It is pretty apparent that you are not a musician or professional music critic with a trained ear, and without any technical understanding of how music works, I really do not understand how you can possibly opine on what a talented musician makes.

I will tell you this, though, Jonny Greenwood, Radiohead's lead guitarist and arranger, is the Composer in residence for the BBC, and recently composed well received symphonic pieces, most notably featured in the soundtrack of "There Will Be Blood".

Two expert pianists, one Jazz (Brad Meldahau) and one classical (Christopher O' Reiley), have launched their commercial careers by recording albums of Radiohead songs. Numerous symphonies have performed Radiohead's work, multiple string quartets started their cover careers with Radiohead... THEY ARE ONLY LIKE THE MOST MUSICALLY APPRECIATED/CRITICALLY HERALDED BAND IN THE SHORT HISTORY OF EVER...

But I guess... since you don't like them, they must suck...

Spoiler:


Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
I don't know what you want me to do to change that opinion.
Well, the problem, as has been pointed out, repeatedly, is that you keep trying to pass off opinion as fact. Saying "they suck" in the context you have constructed is not an opinion, even when you preface it with "I think that...", and especially the way you just attempted to qualify it by comparing them to other bands you "don't get".

You simply do not have any case for your "opinion", other than, "I don't like it", which is fine. That is okay. Not everyone has a well refined palette... some people prefer Fish Sticks over Toro, some people like Kraft Singles over Sharp Cheddar, and I hear some people even put Ketchup on their hot dogs...

... and frankly, if the Beatles, Radiohead, Nirvana, and Metallica don't do it for you, it just sounds like you were born with a bunk pair of ears. I don't mean to insult you, and I fully believe that you believe what you are saying, but it seems like you simply have poor taste.

I think you are a smart guy and a pretty epic poster, but sometimes you just gotta realize that it is you, not them.

If for some reason I am off base here, and you can come up with a cogent argument as to why Radiohead actually sucks, other than, "they don't do it for you", by all means go ahead... but I'd save your time, because it isn't possible to be right.

Last edited by Halowax; 12-08-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Halowax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #583
JokersAttack
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
JokersAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 12,181
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
Regarding the 'critically acclaimed' part: I just don't care. I either like it or I don't and I can make up my own mind as to whether they're awesome or not.
lolololololol
JokersAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #584
Malucci
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Malucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,774
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

MicroBob probably likes country music or some other total trash and he realizes it sucks and doesn't want to take the endless flak that he will get for it.
Malucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #585
Malucci
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Malucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,774
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

And he just got totally worked by Halowax
Malucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #586
Bovvaboy
grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 636
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

I find radiohead to be a little self indulgent, not on the scale of pink floyd but still.....

Greatest band of our time? So hard to say as music is art and the beauty of art is different to everyone. Also most UK people would say someone like radiohead simply because they are english and have had more exposure to them, while someone in the USA might say another band.

radiohead have great technical skills and put out great albums but the lyric skills are a bit weak imo. I go for the singer/songwriter types like adam duritz from counting crows and ryan adams etc.
Bovvaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #587
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malucci View Post
MicroBob probably likes country music or some other total trash and he realizes it sucks and doesn't want to take the endless flak that he will get for it.


I know it's a long thread and you obviously haven't read it but you are repeating a prior argument that has already been addressed multiple times where I've been accused of having bad musical taste and that I must like "whatever chart-topper is out there", "country music", "rap" whatever.

You are finding a point of disagreement on my musical beliefs to be an opportunity to try to insult me.


No, I don't care for country music. Given the choice between being forced to listen to country or being forced to listen to RH I do admit it would be close though because RH really is that aggravating to me (moreso Thom's voice on that one than anything else I suppose).

I've also mentioned a few bands and albums I've been listening to or liking of recent earlier in this thread. So your claim that I have some alternative motive for not mentioning them is not correct.

Lately I've been listening to quite a bit of Yo La Tengo and some My Bloody Valentine. I have pretty varied tastes that I think run the gamut somewhat although I do tend to dig some of the more Velvet Underground inspired indie type groups I suppose. Anyway, I'll enjoy different stuff ranging from Smashing Pumpkins to early Verve to Miles Davis to Tsunami (the 90's indie band...not whatever band today is going by the same name) to Johnny Cash to The Clash to Luna and Galaxie 500 to early Psychedelic Furs to some U2 or Cure and many others. That's just my tastes though. No biggie. And it tends to kind of not stay static anyway.

Am I tossing about a bunch of bands you don't know much about or aren't familiar with? Yeah, I thought so. That's kind of why I didn't feel like going there earlier in the thread but the ridiculous accusations of "he must like country which is why he can't get RH" keeps coming up putting me in a position where I actually need to defend my own musical tastes...which really is kind of a cheap-shot and shouldn't be necessary...and is also something I've already done multiple times.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #588
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halowax View Post

If for some reason I am off base here, and you can come up with a cogent argument as to why Radiohead actually sucks, other than, "they don't do it for you", by all means go ahead... but I'd save your time, because it isn't possible to be right.

This isn't a terribly open-minded approach to having a discussion about it. You invite me to take part in a discussion with you but already don't care what I have to say.

On the other hand, I have listened and considered the points made by RH fans and supporters in this thread and have gone out of my way to listen to the music again and again with as open a mind as I can have about it.

I've shut myself away from the video-screen on youtube (blocking it) because I thought it possible that the dumb videos were blocking my potential enjoyment of the song. I listened to albums all the way through. I gave it "another try" as recommended because supposedly it could take multiple listens to "get there."

I've put forth several hours on them actually. And my conclusion remains a little bit changed in that I no longer think all RH fans have lousy taste in music (whereas before I thought that was likely the case). I also learned a little bit on how much more they are appreciated by certain others as well which I wasn't entirely aware of just because I never really cared. But overall my thoughts of their music is that they are incredibly over-rated and that some of the things they are doing aren't as revolutionary as many of their fans would like to believe.

I think the term "self-indulgent" works decently for me on my thoughts about them. Not like that isn't true of a ton of other musicians as well of course. But their music just feels like that all the time to me and some of their lyrics, singing style and just general music style just feels like, "we're trying to be deep even though we aren't."

I can think of other songs by other bands done in a different time-meter or kind quirky dupli-meter thing that I thought were just brilliant so it's not just the alternative time-meter thing either (and I don't care for their 4/4 songs either of course).

I also don't think that doing songs in a different time-meter defines greatness or makes a song better nor does it really define superior musicianship I don't think.

But you specifically stated that you don't care to listen to my ideas on this anyway and I've already posted many of my thoughts earlier in this thread.

Last edited by MicroBob; 12-08-2009 at 04:34 PM.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #589
Malucci
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Malucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,774
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Well people (including myself) will always go to the lowest common denominator. That is country, as it is the worst music ever. Anyway, no, I have heard of most if not all of the bands you mentioned in your last post. When you say Velvet Underground inspired indie groups you are referring to the Strokes, and who else?
Malucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #590
ShowUthExit
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ShowUthExit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: $1 mini ftops warmup CHAMPION
Posts: 6,993
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

lol MicroBob just stop
ShowUthExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #591
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

I'm not a big fan of the Strokes. Don't have any issue with them...just not a big fan. A few songs are okay I guess. Similar to RH I wonder how much I might like The Strokes just a little bit better with a different singer.

Anyway, I was referring to many of the bands I went on to list. Again though, that's just a handful off the top of my head some of whom might kind of be in the same vain as RH in some ways I suppose.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #592
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Thanks for the helpful post contributing your awesome wisdom to this thread.

I don't know what everyone here listens to or doesn't. I've had to defend my own music tastes more than once from various bizarre accusations that apparently thinking RH sucks means I must listen to country of Brittney Spears or something.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #593
Malucci
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Malucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,774
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Yeah, and you did it in a really condescending way. Like your tastes are superior. Basically the same thing you're arguing against.
Malucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #594
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

malucci - I have already admitted in this thread that I'm relatively snobbish about my own tastes and that it's to a fault. If I ever forget then my GF is right there to remind me about what a silly music-snob I can be sometimes.

I've also had to defend/explain my own music taste multiple times. And I've also been accused of liking various types of music that I don't really like and that I'm just too stupid to understand RH. So yeah...I'm a bit frustrated and that showed in my tone.

My comment there was more meant more along the lines of, "I really don't get the point of having to defend myself AGAIN especially when I'm referring to some bands that aren't hugely popular" (or I guess more accurately "might not be stuff you find as interesting").

I mean, I could go on about why I think a couple of albums most people haven't heard are a couple of the greatest ever (to me) but I don't think there's much point.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #595
twoblacknines
veteran
 
twoblacknines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lonesome Crowded West
Posts: 2,096
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Music is so subjective, there is no right answer. I mean, my own tastes in music have significantly changed over time. I cringe at some of the bands I liked in high school. And while I would have never listened to the Smiths back then, they are now one of my favorites.

What's sad to me is that somewhere out there in a garage is a band making music that I would probably consider my favorite, and I will never even hear it.
twoblacknines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #596
Malucci
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Malucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,774
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

There's no quality in art or music. Keith Richards said this I believe. It's just subjective. Some people like this, some people like that. But country music still sucks despite this.

That garage band twoblacknines is talking about is called The Black Keys.
Malucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #597
Halowax
Pooh-Bah
 
Halowax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brand new blue Tiger-fitted New Era
Posts: 3,643
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
Am I tossing about a bunch of bands you don't know much about or aren't familiar with? Yeah, I thought so.
Are you 4 real?

I really hope this wasn't directed at me. Any rock music fan worth their salt is going to be familiar with these bands and most likely a fan of most of them.

The reason Claunchy was so snide with you, is because you are attempting to pass yourself off as some high echelon music snob who is too good for Radiohead, but then you name three of the biggest "Indie" bands of all time (VU, YLT, and MBV), a few massively popular Alternative bands (Vere, SP, U2) and two of the most iconic musicians of the past century (Miles and Cash), and then have the nerve to ask us If we have heard of them?

OH MY GOD! Why not list Bowie, Sonic Youth, Television, and The Pixies while you're at it, and ask us lowly RH listeners if we are hip enough to get down?

The only remotely obscure bands you listed are Tsunami and Galaxie500, and I appreciate your post for that, if only to remind me that I need to listen to Galaxie500 again (Pretty Fantastic, btw).

Also, it seems like you are holding on to the past as a point of what is good and what is not. It should be noted that not one act you listed has released any quality or substantive material this century, with the exception of YLT and Johnny Cash, and none of the bands you named started their careers after... what... like 1990?

Your tastes aren't even obscure, they are just narrow, and dated. They aren't bad either... I mean who the **** doesn't like The Velvet Underground and Yo La Tengo?

Speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
I think the term "self-indulgent" works decently for me on my thoughts about them. Not like that isn't true of a ton of other musicians as well of course.
This is equally lol, in the light of the bands you just listed. The Velvet Underground (who I absolutely adore obv, and is obv one of the top 5 most important rock bands ever) is probably also one of the most self indulgent bands of all time... I mean come on... Sister Ray? Heroin? Lets be reasonable here...

And thank god they indulged! Otherwise we probably wouldn't have YLT, MBV, Beck, The Talking Heads, Bowie, Sonic Youth, Galaxie500, Television, Radiohead, and pretty much ****ing everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malucci View Post
When you say Velvet Underground inspired indie groups you are referring to the Strokes, and who else?
Ya... seriously... like everyone... they pretty much birthed "Indie", and are without a doubt one of the most influential bands ever... but lets get back on track... indulgence...

I have no idea what qualifies as indulgence to you, but since you can only talk about music in relation to the way it makes you feel, and are incapable of actually providing any concrete analysis of your own, I am guessing you do not know either... so allow me to lay it out for you.

Radiohead construct thoroughly composed and calculated pieces. Each album is meticulously constructed, and every single note is there for a reason. They do not take the easiest route, and they certainly spend a ton of time making sure that they do not waste a single bar. When you see them live, they replicate the full studio sound almost exactly, which attests to how thoroughly thought out the pieces are.

To the layman, maybe this is what indulgence sounds like, but in fact, it is the opposite. Indulgence=Easy, Sloppy, Replacable notes that could be replaced with a plethora of alternates without much notice. Radiohead are calculated and creative, not indulgent. Both types of music can be equally as expressive, and emotionally resonant. (Aside: It's sort of like comparing Kind of Blue to Bitches Brew. Think on that.)

In fact, considering the bands you listed, I think you actually really like self indulgent bands. VU and YLT made careers out of riffing over 2 or 3 chord vamps, droning melodies, and loosely constructed songs... they are both fantastic and amazing bands... but way way way more self indulgent...

and as for Billy Corgan... lets not even go there...

Im listening to Galaxie500 right now and they do the exact same thing (They seriosly bite on VU/complete Heroin Rip with "I cant believe Its me"), and they are good, and the songs are awesome, and they feel great, but again, these are songs that take the path of least resistance... which is usually easier to digest... and often thoroughly enjoyable.

and as for Billy Corgan (how far he has fallen)... well, lets not even go there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
But their music just feels like that all the time to me and some of their lyrics, singing style and just general music style just feels like, "we're trying to be deep even though we aren't."
So, in light of learning about how you like really easy music to listen to... It's pretty obvious that you are the one that lacks depth... not them.

It seems like you just dont like how well constructed their tracks are, and you prefer rough edges on your music, which is okay, but it is a matter of musical preference... musical preference that is totally not mutually exclusive as well. I, for one, like all of the music you listed, love some of it, and still am able to appreciate radiohead.

Honestly, it kind of baffles me, considering all the bands you listed, esp U2 (a sizable influence on early RH), that you do not like them... oh, well...


Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
I also don't think that doing songs in a different time-meter defines greatness or makes a song better nor does it really define superior musicianship I don't think.
Yea, ofc, this in itself does not define greatness, but it is how effortlessly they make this music sound, and it definitely takes superior musicianship to construct these songs, let alone perform them.

Its way ****ing easier to write another V IV I, or V I, or II V7 common time rock song, and it seems like you fault Radiohead for actually trying to construct challenging music, which is just absurd. Somehow because they make music that is original, technically challenging, they are faking depth?

LOL.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Finally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
I don't know what everyone here listens to or doesn't. I've had to defend my own music tastes more than once from various bizarre accusations that apparently thinking RH sucks means I must listen to country of Brittney Spears or something.
Leave Britney the **** out of this.

You Wanna Piece of Me?

Last edited by Halowax; 12-08-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Halowax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #598
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

halo - Wow. What an over-the-top response. You are personally attacking me and are being quite the jerk in there. I was not personally attacking you at any point I don't believe. I just happen to think a certain band who is the media-darling happens to suck and be extremely overrated. That's all.

Look, your reasons why you think I don't like RH are not correct. Do you even care about that? You don't seem interested in actually listening to my criticisms on them and seem way more interested in spewing personal insults while offering an occasional interesting insight to try to justify yourself.

LOL at you breaking down a few of the bands I mentioned like that...and trying to use it to insult me. WTF?

Last edited by MicroBob; 12-08-2009 at 11:02 PM.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #599
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Its way ****ing easier to write another V IV I, or V I, or II V7 common time rock song, and it seems like you fault Radiohead for actually trying to construct challenging music, which is just absurd. Somehow because they make music that is original, technically challenging, they are faking depth?

I do fault them if it doesn't work. And I don't think it does. It sounds forced and silly.

Oh goody...they made a technically challenging song in 5/4 time or something. Is that really why I'm supposed to drool over them? As I said previously in this thread: I suspect the vast majority of RH fans have no idea they are listening to something in 5/4 time. They just hear a quirky rhythm and Thom's vocals and it reaches them emotionally.

The blend of music just works for them as well as Thom's emotional stylings (when they aren't whining about the change of direction from one release to the next). They aren't singing along at the concert to a song like Creep (or any other song) because of how they think it's technically superior. They just like the feel of the song and perhaps are reached by the lyrics as well.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #600
ShowUthExit
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ShowUthExit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: $1 mini ftops warmup CHAMPION
Posts: 6,993
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Halowax owning MicroBob ITT

and just to add to Halowax's point about Radiohead being the Musicians Band of choice, my friend works for DMB and the entire band loves Radiohead. Supposedly, when asked about how Radiohead compares to them, Dave once said, "Radiohead is like Picasso and I am just some dude with a brush." (I think he said Picasso)
ShowUthExit is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive