Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

View Poll Results: The best?
Yes 273 36.94%
No 466 63.06%
Voters: 739. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #476
Beatngreet415
veteran
 
Beatngreet415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: the Sucka Free City
Posts: 3,068
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

I'm a giant fan of both bands, and I can't think of a single Radiohead song that sounds like a Floyd song. Obviously it's an influence, but I just don't see it being anywhere near as big a deal as it's being made out to be ITT
Beatngreet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:16 AM   #477
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

you sure showed him ham on rye, im positive that his use of "every" wasnt hyperbolic!
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #478
ham on rye
Pooh-Bah
 
ham on rye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: brevity is the soul of wat
Posts: 5,304
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugzwang83 View Post
you sure showed him ham on rye, im positive that his use of "every" wasnt hyperbolic!
ok, please come up with a handful of "this radiohead song sounds like this pink floyd song" comparisons.
ham on rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #479
microbet
Solar Powered
 
microbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 54,424
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pulaski View Post
i think someone needs an edumacation on when the grateful dead were big
I don't know if this is older than you were thinking or newer, but their only top ten single was Touch of Grey in 1987. I don't know about other measures, but I think they were probably peaking in the late 80's and early 90s.
microbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #480
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham on rye View Post
ok, please come up with a handful of "this radiohead song sounds like this pink floyd song" comparisons.
lolol dude if you dont see the comparison i literally dont know what to tell you. yeah maybe there arent 2 songs that sound exactly the same, but im pretty sure if someone had never heard either band, there are numerous PF songs i could instert onto a radiohead cd or vice versa, they wouldnt say "huh? is this the same band? this song sounds like a different band!"
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #481
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

I see the vague comparison between PF and RH but to say they are the same is laughable. I think PF, particularly through the 70's, was just amazing and doesn't really sound anything like RH (for the most part).

I heard one part of a RH song that reminded me a little bit of a Dark Side of the Moon song (sorry, don't remember which RH song it was and don't feel like finding it again) but it was just part of one of the riffs and wasn't that big a deal. They are hardly replicas of each other or anything like that.

And there's just no way you can insert a PF song into a RH album and confuse the two artists. Like...it's not even close. Even trading the vocals out so that you get rid of Thom Yorke's distinctive vocal stylings I still think it would be totally obvious that the band behind him has changed. They just aren't that close.
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #482
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

The greatest band of our generation is Tool (see here for most epic, inspiring and beautfiul piece of music of my lifetime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlC7oG_2W4, although its almost a shame to hear it seperated from the rest of the album). Close behind are NIN, a band exploring the full spectrum of human feeling to a greater degree than any other I can think of whilst just rocking the **** out of everyone.

But Radiohead are definitely worthy of big consideration.

The sheer diversity of their portfolio puts nearly all other bands in the shade and yet the quality remained just as high. As a testament to that fact I am sure most hardcore Radiohead fans would list Kid A as the best Radiohead album or at least close if its not their personal favourite, despite it being electronica and completely removed from anything they had done before or anything in the mainstream music industry.

If you don't personally like the band thats fine, but you can't deny that they need to be heavily considered in a discussion of this topic and that is the most you can say about any band. If you try to argue otherwise then you are going to look foolish imo. Almost as foolish as if you try to claim Modest mouse are the best band of our time.
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #483
ham on rye
Pooh-Bah
 
ham on rye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: brevity is the soul of wat
Posts: 5,304
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugzwang83 View Post
lolol dude if you dont see the comparison i literally dont know what to tell you. yeah maybe there arent 2 songs that sound exactly the same, but im pretty sure if someone had never heard either band, there are numerous PF songs i could instert onto a radiohead cd or vice versa, they wouldnt say "huh? is this the same band? this song sounds like a different band!"
i'm pretty sure that's utterly ******ed. please pick a song from a radiohead album you want to insert into a pink floyd album of your choice and convince me that a non-idiot listener wouldn't realize it was a different band. or vice versa. maybe you could slap "speak to me / breathe" onto the end of kid a and all somebody would say is "weird interlude dude," but only because there are no vocals.

aside from that, i am responding to a poster who says "every radiohead song sounds exactly like a pink floyd song." that is why i am using that argument, not because i think it disproves pink floyd's influence on radiohead. people are constantly insisting that radiohead sound exactly like PF itt and honestly i think it's because you're a bunch of creed-loving mooks who heard two radiohead songs and thought it was queer and never listened to them again. nobody with two-thirds of a functional brain who has listened to pink floyd and radiohead to any great degree would say they sound exactly the same, or you could swap songs from one album to another and nobody would notice, etc. that's a perfectly ******ed thing to say. ****** ****** ******. stop ****ing your cousin. please never come near my house because i'm afraid you have found a way to make down syndrome contagious. i hope you spend eternity in a boiling **** filled jacuzzi listening to nickelback.

killa please lock this thread and create a special music subforum for lower primates so i don't have to fight the urge to engage in "conversations" with these baboons.
ham on rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #484
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

yeah, I spent a few hours listening to Aenima again yesterday. Seriously, what a mind blowing album. I pretty much have settled on Tool being the answer to this as well.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #485
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,494
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham on rye View Post
i'm pretty sure that's utterly ******ed. please pick a song from a radiohead album you want to insert into a pink floyd album of your choice and convince me that a non-idiot listener wouldn't realize it was a different band. or vice versa. maybe you could slap "speak to me / breathe" onto the end of kid a and all somebody would say is "weird interlude dude," but only because there are no vocals.

aside from that, i am responding to a poster who says "every radiohead song sounds exactly like a pink floyd song." that is why i am using that argument, not because i think it disproves pink floyd's influence on radiohead. people are constantly insisting that radiohead sound exactly like PF itt and honestly i think it's because you're a bunch of creed-loving mooks who heard two radiohead songs and thought it was queer and never listened to them again. nobody with two-thirds of a functional brain who has listened to pink floyd and radiohead to any great degree would say they sound exactly the same, or you could swap songs from one album to another and nobody would notice, etc. that's a perfectly ******ed thing to say. ****** ****** ******. stop ****ing your cousin. please never come near my house because i'm afraid you have found a way to make down syndrome contagious. i hope you spend eternity in a boiling **** filled jacuzzi listening to nickelback.

killa please lock this thread and create a special music subforum for lower primates so i don't have to fight the urge to engage in "conversations" with these baboons.
Everything in here. Also just containing zug helps a lot in these kind of situations.

Tool is good and all while it clearly has a fanbase that's as dedicated as any. I don't think you can be put up too high when you release an album every 5 years and it isn't instantly the best thing ever though.
aoFrantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #486
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugzwang83 View Post
lolol dude if you dont see the comparison i literally dont know what to tell you. yeah maybe there arent 2 songs that sound exactly the same, but im pretty sure if someone had never heard either band, there are numerous PF songs i could instert onto a radiohead cd or vice versa, they wouldnt say "huh? is this the same band? this song sounds like a different band!"
Your ears and or/brain apparantly don't work properly.
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #487
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoFrantic View Post
I don't think you can be put up too high when you release an album every 5 years and it isn't instantly the best thing ever though.
They aren't?
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #488
ATAT
old hand
 
ATAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,760
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_Z_Boy View Post
The greatest band of our generation is Tool (see here for most epic, inspiring and beautfiul piece of music of my lifetime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlC7oG_2W4, although its almost a shame to hear it seperated from the rest of the album). Close behind are NIN, a band exploring the full spectrum of human feeling to a greater degree than any other I can think of whilst just rocking the **** out of everyone.

But Radiohead are definitely worthy of big consideration.

The sheer diversity of their portfolio puts nearly all other bands in the shade and yet the quality remained just as high. As a testament to that fact I am sure most hardcore Radiohead fans would list Kid A as the best Radiohead album or at least close if its not their personal favourite, despite it being electronica and completely removed from anything they had done before or anything in the mainstream music industry.

If you don't personally like the band thats fine, but you can't deny that they need to be heavily considered in a discussion of this topic and that is the most you can say about any band. If you try to argue otherwise then you are going to look foolish imo. Almost as foolish as if you try to claim Modest mouse are the best band of our time.
Tool has always just sounded like a smarter version of Korn or other nu-metal to me--a bunch of kind of pointless inchoate metally angst. I actually listened to the above song and wtf, ten minutes of drony E power chord blahness with a drummer overplaying in the background. If that's the full spectrum of human feeling, ****ing kill me now.
ATAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #489
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAT View Post
Tool has always just sounded like a smarter version of Korn or other nu-metal to me--a bunch of kind of pointless inchoate metally angst. I actually listened to the above song and wtf, ten minutes of drony E power chord blahness with a drummer overplaying in the background. If that's the full spectrum of human feeling, ****ing kill me now.
That's like claiming rap music is talking over a beat.

You really think the most intelligent and ambitious metal band on the planet is pointless metally angst? ok...

Also the full spectrum of human feeling comment was wrt to NIN.
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #490
ATAT
old hand
 
ATAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,760
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_Z_Boy View Post
That's like claiming rap music is talking over a beat.

You really think the most intelligent and ambitious metal band on the planet is pointless metally angst? ok...

Also the full spectrum of human feeling comment was wrt to NIN.
Dunno, I mean clearly lots of people love this band passionately, but everything I've heard just sounds colorless and boring to me. And I don't hate metal, although my tastes run more to older stuff like Maiden and early Metallica or Slayer.

and rap music actually is talking over a beat, but I digress...
ATAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #491
aoFrantic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aoFrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,494
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_Z_Boy View Post

You really think the most intelligent and ambitious metal band on the planet is pointless metally angst? ok...
That's terribly self-indulging and why Tool fans take a lot of heat. I don't mind their music, but find myself agreeing with most detractions raised against them. Maybe it's just because whenever an argument on Tool comes up it's one guy arguing how awesome Lateralus or a full CD is on shrooms.

Carey is easily the best part of the band though.

Last edited by aoFrantic; 11-26-2009 at 05:23 PM.
aoFrantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #492
ham on rye
Pooh-Bah
 
ham on rye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: brevity is the soul of wat
Posts: 5,304
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

i think aenima and undertow are undeniably classic albums, lateralus was kinda meh for me.

danny carey is a really, really filthy drummer. very short list of metal guys even close to his class.
ham on rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #493
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Tool are colourless and boring but Maiden are epic and awesome AMIRITE?

I have never listened to Tool on shrooms so I don't know what to say about that argument.
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #494
ham on rye
Pooh-Bah
 
ham on rye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: brevity is the soul of wat
Posts: 5,304
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

i like both tool and maiden personally. imagine a band with steve harris and danny carey as the rhythm section. zomg
ham on rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #495
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Me too.

I cant understand people who are like "that's boring" but then list their favourite bands who are equally so if not more.

Danny Carey is overplaying apparantly...
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #496
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham on rye View Post
i'm pretty sure that's utterly ******ed. please pick a song from a radiohead album you want to insert into a pink floyd album of your choice and convince me that a non-idiot listener wouldn't realize it was a different band. or vice versa. maybe you could slap "speak to me / breathe" onto the end of kid a and all somebody would say is "weird interlude dude," but only because there are no vocals.

aside from that, i am responding to a poster who says "every radiohead song sounds exactly like a pink floyd song." that is why i am using that argument, not because i think it disproves pink floyd's influence on radiohead. people are constantly insisting that radiohead sound exactly like PF itt and honestly i think it's because you're a bunch of creed-loving mooks who heard two radiohead songs and thought it was queer and never listened to them again. nobody with two-thirds of a functional brain who has listened to pink floyd and radiohead to any great degree would say they sound exactly the same, or you could swap songs from one album to another and nobody would notice, etc. that's a perfectly ******ed thing to say. ****** ****** ******. stop ****ing your cousin. please never come near my house because i'm afraid you have found a way to make down syndrome contagious. i hope you spend eternity in a boiling **** filled jacuzzi listening to nickelback.

killa please lock this thread and create a special music subforum for lower primates so i don't have to fight the urge to engage in "conversations" with these baboons.
i realize what you were responding too, and the fact that you dont realize the clear exaggeration of those people speaks volumes to your intellectual capacity. it doesnt make you any less wrong, either way. please get a bit smarter before imposing your ******ed views on OOTers in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_Z_Boy View Post
Your ears and or/brain apparantly don't work properly.
says the guy pimping tool for the greatest of our time.... lol.................................
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #497
MicroBob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MicroBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 61,580
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

zug - then stop exaggerating and speak as you really feel on the similarity between PF and RH.

When you said this it didn't seem like you were exaggerating at all. It seemed you truly believe that:

Quote:
there are numerous PF songs i could instert onto a radiohead cd or vice versa, they wouldnt say "huh? is this the same band? this song sounds like a different band!"
MicroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #498
Bulletproof Monk
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bulletproof Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Best in the world at what I do
Posts: 22,218
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

tool > radiohead ainec
Bulletproof Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #499
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

yeah, i was not exaggerating. the guy saying "every RH song sounds like a PF song" that spurned hamonryes comment clearly was though. im at somewhat of a loss as to how some people dont see the comparison, especially since 10+ ppl have pointed it out in this thread alone... i dont remember the last extensive radiohead conversation that didnt mention PF.
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #500
Ra_Z_Boy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Ra_Z_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eire
Posts: 36,975
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Pink Floyd and Radiohead are not at all similar. Maybe if you were talking about Porcupine Tree you would have somewhat of a point.

I like the way you lol at my choice for the greatest band of our time when you believe RH and PF are similar. Someone displaying your large lack of judgement cannot laugh at anyone elses opinion on anything music related. Oh and a hell of a lot of people, including on this ****ing thread agree with me. Who agrees with you? Deaf people maybe.
Ra_Z_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive