Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

View Poll Results: The best?
Yes 273 36.94%
No 466 63.06%
Voters: 739. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #326
mused01
banned
 
mused01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the second fist pump
Posts: 4,215
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Prince is alright too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY skip to 3:30 for Prince, although the whole song is great
mused01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #327
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72off View Post
Did they offer any alternatives as to who the best band of our time is?
i think radiohead is gonna be in most peoples top 5, at least among my friends, but they would get 0 number votes for number 1 - again, just among my friends. so if judging our opinions was based on total points where 1=5 pts, 2=4 pts, 3=3 pts, 4=2 pts, and 5=1 pt, they are probably clearcut winners - but i think thats a poor way to look at it on the whole. i mean, congrats RH on being able to appeal to arguably the widest audience since the beatles, but being able to get #1 votes is important imo. if i asked everyone "if you got to see ONE concert before you die" nobody i know is saying RH.

also, this thread has done a solid job of culturing my music tastes past grateful dead and pink floyd, someone should start one where people suggest their favorite band of all time (1950s-present?) and provide 3 or 5 "must listen" songs by that band that youd use to try and get someone to like them.

Last edited by zugzwang83; 11-18-2009 at 07:00 AM. Reason: imo
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #328
MDPokerAA
adept
 
MDPokerAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 766
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroBob View Post
I'm sorry I don't have the same taste in music you do and decided to take part in a discussion about a band I dislike.

If the thread had been titled "Radiohead Fans Unite!" I wouldn't have even opened it. But it asked a question about whether they were the greatest and I thought that meant it was okay for people who don't like them as much to have an opinion too.

FWIW, I used to think exactly the opposite of what you said to me: That it's easy to find those who have terrible taste in music....if they like Radiohead then the answer is yes. I no longer think that partly thanks to this thread and my attempts to approach this with an open mind.
If you would honestly like to have a civilized, intelligent debate on rock music and rock's best bands, please let me know.

This is going to sound condescending or confrontational, but I mean this in the most sincere way that a message board post will allow: In my opinion, it seems that you have mediocre taste in rock music. I think you have the potential to improve your taste, which would include either acknowledging Radiohead's talent and/or influence, or even liking them. But I am certain that you are not an expert when it comes to knowledge of rock music and its history, and that is reflected in your mediocre taste.

Obviously, in order to have a rational debate, we have to understand the basic truth that music "taste" is highly subjective, and how everyone responds to music differs from one person to another. But we can still discuss rock music history and facts, and the influence of rocks bands on music itself and the audience that listens to them is more objectively quantifiable.

If you are willing to admit that the Beatles were one of the most influential bands of all time, but that they're not your cup of tea, then I can possibly convince you that Radiohead is not "bad". I certainly can make a good case for why they are one of the best bands to ever play.

Our discussion would start with you naming any 5 bands which released their debut CD in the 90's or later who you think are better than Radiohead. The release of the debut record is important because it will help satisfy a definition of a "generation". This will help me determine your taste in music (not if it's good or bad, but what kind of rock music you like). It will be a good starting point for a discussion.
MDPokerAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #329
destinationNOWHERE
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 62
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Not liking Radiohead is understandable but saying they're bad is just ignorance imo.
And lol at people comparing them with their own favorite bands even if they're nothing alike
in style.
destinationNOWHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #330
gumpzilla
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,973
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cry Me A River View Post
(Haven't been following this thread, apologies if it's been posted. And obv nobody is going to agree with the list.)
Based on the appearance of 2 of his albums in the top 20 of the past decade, I conclude that NME thinks that, in fact, The Streets is the true musical phenomenon of our age.
gumpzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #331
thethethe
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
thethethe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 7,534
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

if best you consider no just music but influence, sales, fans etc. i'd say the big 5 are:

Radiohead
Nirvana
Metallica
U2
RHCP

of course people think bands like The Pixies or Pearl Jam are better but these 5 are the largest, most successful and also widely considered good music.
thethethe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #332
knght311
adept
 
knght311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,140
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

I made this my status update on FB because someone in this thread said it and I thought it rang very true...here is the status update and the responses I got in return:

Radiohead is in the same category as U2, bands who are terrible and yet somehow immensely popular among people who otherwise like decent music. It is a baffling phenomenon.

Mike XXXX
Radiohead is quite possibly the most overrated band of all time

Wyatt XXXX
they used to be really good, but went off the track sometime after Kid-A and now they just sound like noise to me.

Kathy XXXX
XXXX, this is my confirmation of your thoughts.

Adam XXXX
I agree. Radiohead these days seems to be a band for college sophomores to listen to and talk about their "amazing musicality."
I can listen to some of Kid A and The Bends, but I've never understood what all the fuss is about. And I hate, hate, HATE U2.

Tracey XXXX
I agree too!!!!!!

Tim XXXX
but Radiohead don't rate themselves! So whats the problem. They just do their own thing and don't court the limelight. Bono is just a smug tw*****at
knght311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #333
areaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
areaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 13,213
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham on rye View Post
fugazi / JL are both better answers to the best band question than most people will think
as much of a jesus lizard fanboy as i am, i doubt they deserve a place in this argument, even if they are almost entirely responsible for the resurgence of noise rock. seen recently in the overwhelming amount of bands that are copying their style.

but the fugazi argument holds a lot of weight, imo.

also, to whomever said prince itt....also one of the better selections ive seen, but he's been around since the mid 70s? no?

Last edited by areaman; 11-18-2009 at 11:56 AM.
areaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #334
ludacris
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ludacris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hamsterdam. Got dem WMD's.
Posts: 12,277
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knght311 View Post
I made this my status update on FB
stopped reading right there.
ludacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #335
knght311
adept
 
knght311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,140
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
stopped reading right there.

ok then...maybe Spin can convince you better:

http://www.spin.com/articles/myth-no...ggr_node=55990
knght311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #336
gumpzilla
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,973
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knght311 View Post
I made this my status update on FB because someone in this thread said it and I thought it rang very true...here is the status update and the responses I got in return:

Radiohead is in the same category as U2, bands who are terrible and yet somehow immensely popular among people who otherwise like decent music. It is a baffling phenomenon.
This is very unsurprising, and doesn't really demonstrate much of anything. This is because much of what public music fanship is going to be about is social maneuvering and demonstrations; thus, you're likely to find high correlations in musical taste among perceived peer groups. (This is sorta what I was getting at earlier with the college stuff.) To pick a pretty clear cut example, when I was growing up, a very commonly expressed musical taste was "anything but country or rap." Both of those genres are pretty wide and encompass a large variety of styles, but I think that typically both were rejected out of hand because of the implications about social class. Much music (EDIT: or really any) snobbery will take this form and then produce rationalizations to disguise itself.

When one talks about the importance of Radiohead, I think a big part of it is that Radiohead is very influential and beloved among the perceived tastemakers.
gumpzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #337
manupod
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
manupod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: space space space is the place
Posts: 9,124
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Just love watching people get worked up. To contribute: Radiohead is ok, certainly overrated, and certainly not best of our time. Regardless, in order to determine the best band of our time I think it's probably important for our time to pass and gauge staying power. Because frankly Radiohead has a couple albums that sound like music which are worth listening to frequently, and a few that never deserve to be spun.
manupod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #338
fishdonkey
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,883
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinationNOWHERE View Post
Not liking Radiohead is understandable but saying they're bad is just ignorance imo.
They're very bad at producing music I enjoy listening to, and that's the only thing that matters to me.

I understand your point, but it's a stupid one because nobody who calls radiohead bad means it from a technical perspective. Clearly what's meant is "I don't like them = they're bad".
fishdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #339
ludacris
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ludacris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hamsterdam. Got dem WMD's.
Posts: 12,277
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
wtf is our time.

1990+?
Do you want to claim hair bands? I sure don't.
ludacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #340
areaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
areaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 13,213
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

guess radiohead is out of the discussion then.

Radiohead are an English alternative rock band from Abingdon, Oxfordshire, formed in 1985.
areaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #341
istewart
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
istewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,911
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

You really just cannot be taken seriously as a poster if you say "Radiohead is okay but they're obviously not even close to the best band of our time." That art is subjective is irrelevant. Saying this displays such detachment from reality that it makes you not worth listening to.

And this is ignoring the fact people rarely suggest an alternative, let alone the many alternatives that would be necessary to give credence to their "not even close/obviously not" opinion on Radiohead being #1. Mr. ****ing Bungle? Incubus? Linking a Spin article like it's gospel? Posting Facebook anecdotes? What the **** are you people doing?
istewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #342
fishdonkey
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,883
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

What's subjective is the meaning of best. To you, it sounds like best = most popular. To others, radiohead is downright bad simply because they don't like the sound.
fishdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #343
Max H
veteran
 
Max H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 3,131
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pulaski View Post
i think someone needs an edumacation on when the grateful dead were big
Since the Grateful Dead transcend time they are constantly, presently great.
Max H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #344
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,994
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

It's pretty damn impressive for a band to get 131 yes votes to 240 no votes on this question.

Not that I agree. I don't think they are bad or anything, but to me they come off as better songwriters than musicians. If I had to pick a "best band", it had to score brilliantly in both.

I just now noticed that the OP said in "our time", which ofcourse changes things. As "our time" is pretty much the end of the old big band era. Still I'm not updated enough to give a good answer.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #345
istewart
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
istewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,911
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdonkey View Post
What's subjective is the meaning of best. To you, it sounds like best = most popular. To others, radiohead is downright bad simply because they don't like the sound.
How exactly would you derive "To you, it sounds like best = most popular" from what I said? Radiohead is obviously not the most popular band of recent years.

Obviously "best" connotes more subjectivity than "greatest"; I think many more people could get on board with Radiohead being the greatest bands (maybe with Nirvana) of the last 20 years. Fewer would agree that they are the best.

IMO, off the top of my head, they are both. I listen to a lot of music and nobody else really seems to come all that close. Hardly any other band has put out something that can stand toe-to-toe with OK Computer, and that's not exactly the only thing Radiohead has ever done.

I won't insist that you're an idiot for not saying "YEAH, THEY'RE NUMBER #1, BABY!" That would be ridiculous. But how far are you willing to take the "omg, art is so subjective, if I don't like them then I don't like them, tough cookies" line? Let's say someone made this thread in 1970 and said "The Beatles: The best band of our time." And then a bunch of people popped in to say "lol no way," and then when pressed with a lot of "???"s, replied with your style of reasoning: "hey, I just don't like them, therefore I think it's ******ed to discuss them when talking about the best bands of our time." This isn't to say that Radiohead is as good as the Beatles, but since "music is subjective," that shouldn't matter. Would you seriously entertain the opinion of someone who thought the Beatles "weren't even close" to the best band of the 1960s? Or would you treat them like an idiot?
istewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #346
Anacardo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anacardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: documents on fiiiile!
Posts: 20,543
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

I read this entire ****pile just for the ham on rye and gumpzilla posts, so I hope you boys feel appreciated.
Anacardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #347
TimTimSalabim
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimTimSalabim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winning
Posts: 14,108
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame_deuces View Post
It's pretty damn impressive for a band to get 131 yes votes to 240 no votes on this question.
I'm thinking there might be a bit of self-selection bias.
TimTimSalabim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #348
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimSalabim View Post
I'm thinking there might be a bit of self-selection bias.
clearly, every radiohead fan on 2p2 most likely viewed this thread and voted yes.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #349
areaman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
areaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 13,213
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istewart View Post
Would you seriously entertain the opinion of someone who thought the Beatles "weren't even close" to the best band of the 1960s? Or would you treat them like an idiot?
i would hope you would just understand that its not what theyre into and move on with your life.

you realize that jamming radiohead down peoples throats who dont agree with your opinion is similar to screaming at a wall?

oh wait, now that you treated me like an idiot i completely get what youre talking about. radiohead is #1! yay.
areaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #350
ludacris
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ludacris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hamsterdam. Got dem WMD's.
Posts: 12,277
Re: Radiohead: The best band of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by areaman View Post
i would hope you would just understand that its not what theyre into and move on with your life.

you realize that jamming radiohead down peoples throats who dont agree with your opinion is similar to screaming at a wall?

oh wait, now that you treated me like an idiot i completely get what youre talking about. radiohead is #1! yay.
god damn, just stop posting.
ludacris is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive