Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #451
frostbrn
old hand
 
frostbrn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 1,353
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Henry, could you please please PLEASE do an "ask me anything" thread? I am pretty confident it is what the people want.
frostbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #452
Henry17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: You've got a friend in me
Posts: 27,716
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27offsuit View Post
On a side, I would love to do a study on the effects your avatar has had in cultivating your persona, because A: Whoever picked it for you obviously knows it fits you perfectly and B: It really helps drive home your anti-rrrrrribaldry.
I suspect that without that avatar, your road to iconoclast would have been much longer journey, although you would've reached that destination either way eventually.
I think the Henry username was the primary reason for the Henry VIII avatar. I kept it because I've always liked Henry VIII -- although I admit that I know little about him except the stuff I picked up taking English literature. If the implication is that I'm aristocratic that isn't actually truly reflective of my personality.


Quote:
Henry, could you please please PLEASE do an "ask me anything" thread? I am pretty confident it is what the people want.
I'm not sure what the purpose of something like that would be. If I thought it would contain all this derailing in one topic I'd consider it but I doubt that it would actually work out that way.

Also, while I believe I've been very open when people ask me questions I would refuse to answer any question that might identify either myself or anyone else which of course also precludes posting any pics. There undoubtedly would be a demand to document or in some way prove may of my answers which I could not do without violating my desire to be anonymous or other's privacy.

Further, the reason that I turned down Survivor was because I'm not going to play the role of the dancing bear. There is a very good chance something like this could turn into an embarrassment and so the safe answer is to decline.
Henry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #453
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 36,771
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17 View Post
I think the Henry username was the primary reason for the Henry VIII avatar. I kept it because I've always liked Henry VIII -- although I admit that I know little about him except the stuff I picked up taking English literature.
This is exactly my point. If your avatar was the actual Henry VIII your persona and how it is perceived would be completely different.

Henry VIII was a callous lout, and most of his pictures portray that somehow, but the guy in your picture ('you') just seems to have this air about him and his raised brow and look of sheer pomposity fits perfectly for you.

He just seems like the kind of guy that, upon first meeting him you think "Is this guy for real?", but after spending a little time with him you realize that what you first thought was ego and snobbishness is just his nature and he is just being honest and is comfortable in his own skin.

Your guy, whoever he is, just fits you to a tee.
BTW, has it been discussed who he actually is?





Would you be interested in continuing this conversation over dinner tonight?

Last edited by 27offsuit; 07-26-2008 at 02:02 PM.
27offsuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #454
Henry17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: You've got a friend in me
Posts: 27,716
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27offsuit View Post
Your guy, whoever he is, just fits you to a tee.
BTW, has it been discussed who he actually is?
http://images.google.ca/images?q=hen...Aofficial&sa=2

No but thanks to Google Images it appears to be Henry IV of France

Quote:
Would you be interested in continuing this conversation over dinner tonight?
You live in Ottawa?
Henry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #455
garcia1000
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
garcia1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 7,855
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17 View Post
I think the Henry username was the primary reason for the Henry VIII avatar. I kept it because I've always liked Henry VIII -- although I admit that I know little about him except the stuff I picked up taking English literature. If the implication is that I'm aristocratic that isn't actually truly reflective of my personality.




I'm not sure what the purpose of something like that would be. If I thought it would contain all this derailing in one topic I'd consider it but I doubt that it would actually work out that way.

Also, while I believe I've been very open when people ask me questions I would refuse to answer any question that might identify either myself or anyone else which of course also precludes posting any pics. There undoubtedly would be a demand to document or in some way prove may of my answers which I could not do without violating my desire to be anonymous or other's privacy.

Further, the reason that I turned down Survivor was because I'm not going to play the role of the dancing bear. There is a very good chance something like this could turn into an embarrassment and so the safe answer is to decline.
We just want to know how you think about common social situations. It would be fascinating for us in the same way that Martians arriving on Earth would love to ask Earthlings questions.
garcia1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #456
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 36,771
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27offsuit View Post
Would you be interested in continuing this conversation over dinner tonight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17 View Post
You live in Ottawa?


My attempt at a level-jump ended up just being a plain old level. Inadvertently.
27offsuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #457
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,693
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
I'm well aware that the majority of OOT, including yourself, is on a lower level than me.
The reason you're unpopular around here is this kind of smug condescension masquerading as self-assurance, and complete lack of social graces, not your differences of opinion. (It doesn't help that you're wrong pretty much all the time, though.)
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #458
Henry17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: You've got a friend in me
Posts: 27,716
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia1000 View Post
We just want to know how you think about common social situations. It would be fascinating for us in the same way that Martians arriving on Earth would love to ask Earthlings questions.
I won't start the topic but if someone else does I'll participate. The conditions I mentioned before apply plus I reserve the right to stop at any point if I lose interest or for whatever reason.
Henry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #459
offTopic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
offTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Making stupid side bets
Posts: 19,047
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17 View Post
I won't start the topic but if someone else does I'll participate. The conditions I mentioned before apply plus I reserve the right to stop at any point if I lose interest or for whatever reason.
I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, but if any posters' questions are left unanswered, you should probably ship them a couple hundred bucks for the inconvenience.
offTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #460
AlexM
ignored
 
AlexM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hate cannot drive out hate
Posts: 20,655
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath View Post
Quote:
I'm well aware that the majority of OOT, including yourself, is on a lower level than me.
The reason you're unpopular around here is this kind of smug condescension masquerading as self-assurance, and complete lack of social graces, not your differences of opinion. (It doesn't help that you're wrong pretty much all the time, though.)
Thank you for demonstrating my point, which I will explain a little more clearly lest you think that I'm again being smug and condescending, which I most definitely am and was not.

That statement had two parts. The lesser part was the smart-assed joke I included solely to needle the person I was responding to who was being a total jackass to me for no reason. That was where I said "lower" level. This wasn't smug and condescending, it was a joke and sort of a play on the real problem, which is...

The statement essentially says "people don't get me" which is completely and totally true. People constantly level themselves trying to understand what I'm saying and leave me totally flummoxed as to how they came to that interpretation. This is where the little joke part of the statement comes from, the idea that OOT is at a lower level because people are constantly levelling themselves (like you did), but that was merely some subtle sarcasm and in reality it's not a lower level, it's just a different place off to the side. The way my thought processes works is different and trying to communicate with the rest of the world is difficult at best. I level myself on other people's statements regularly for much the same reason, although it doesn't happen nearly as often as people do on me simply because I'm much more used to dealing with it. I used to way overuse "" to help make this all a bit clearer that you shouldn't take every statement I said completely and totally seriously despite how serious the rest of my post seems, but for some reason I stopped doing that much. I probably should start it up again.

So essentially, what I'm unpopular for is being different. Welcome to elementary school.

Last edited by AlexM; 07-26-2008 at 05:03 PM.
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #461
killa
huge dick
 
killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,990
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post

So essentially, what I'm unpopular for is being different. Welcome to elementary school.
actually it is now refered to as the cool kids club
killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #462
AlexM
ignored
 
AlexM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hate cannot drive out hate
Posts: 20,655
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkilla View Post
actually it is now refered to as the cool kids club
Thanks, good to know.
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #463
ZeTurd
Fabricati diem, pvnc
 
ZeTurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 12,538
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
Thank you for demonstrating my point
I think you just demonstrated his point.

As for the subject matter at hand, I'm by no means an OOT regular, but I was around for the RJ vs. diebitter awesomeness. In fact, I actually think I had one of the deciding votes in that one (I voted the whiny *****.) Anyway, having a survivor for the sake of having a survivor is pointless and lame. There needs to be some potential for great drama, and pitting two nobodies against each other won't accomplish that. Now, diebitter has volunteered to participate, and even though he's technically exiled I'm sure we can come up with additional stakes to make it interesting. For instance:

- Forced title/avatar changes
- Instead of exile from OOT, we could make it a confinement to x forums for y amount of time (or permanently.) The possibilities are endless.
- If he wins, his exile is lifted.

So far so good. But who should we pit him against? Who is today's RJ? As far as I know, I don't think there exists any equivalent poster. They seem to naturally migrate to other forums these days (NVG, I'm looking at you.)

But here's the twist: diebitter enjoys a great deal of respect in the lounge and BBV4L. What if we allowed everyone with at least, say, 500 posts, and a reg date older than a year, to participate in the voting? THIS OPENS UP EXCITING POSSIBILITIES. If it's diebitter against any semi-well-respected OOTer and only OOT regs are allowed to vote it's gonna be a landslide. Where's the fun in that? Allowing posters from across the forums to vote will ensure that we get a TRUE survivor contest of EPIC proportions. Yes!

Setting it up this way, we can have a well respected OOTer on the block, and it might still be close. What's more, it will transcend regular OOT survivors and become a true test of awesomeness or suckitude. Can your popularity in one particular forum translate into cross forum domination?

Enforcement is a problem obviously. It seems like diebitter has broken past agreements, so we'd have to consider the veracity of his word if he agrees to partake in a survivor contest. However, if the defeated party won't accept the terms of defeat, that'll obviously be viewed as an dishonorable act of cowardice and a punishment unto itself, so there's that.

The obvious candidate to run against diebitter: NT!

Bring forth the hate!
ZeTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #464
Ed P. Furlong, Esq
banned
 
Ed P. Furlong, Esq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YOu think terrorist get laid? lol
Posts: 1,660
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Why are you bringing up diebitter again wtf?
Ed P. Furlong, Esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #465
nath
the second coming of the second coming
 
nath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rust and Marty, a hundred years
Posts: 67,693
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
This wasn't smug and condescending, it was a joke
Ah, but see, as a straight-faced statement, it fits so well in with your usual tone that nobody can tell you're joking. And that is more indicative of the real problem.
nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #466
ZeTurd
Fabricati diem, pvnc
 
ZeTurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 12,538
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P. Furlong, Esq View Post
Why are you bringing up diebitter again wtf?
Don't be hating on my attempts to get some good hating going here.
ZeTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #467
Anacardo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anacardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: documents on fiiiile!
Posts: 20,543
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Just for the sake of argument, are 'ego and snobbishness' and 'honest and comfortable in his own skin' at all mutually exclusive?
Anacardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #468
Alobar
Born Ready
 
Alobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd turtle from the bottom
Posts: 42,317
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

thank god my mouse has a scroll wheel otherwise I dont think I could have gotten past the last 200 posts.

This thread blows

I miss RJ
Alobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 AM   #469
Golden_Rhino
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Golden_Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bester Forever
Posts: 9,056
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
Thank you for demonstrating my point, which I will explain a little more clearly lest you think that I'm again being smug and condescending, which I most definitely am and was not.

That statement had two parts. The lesser part was the smart-assed joke I included solely to needle the person I was responding to who was being a total jackass to me for no reason. That was where I said "lower" level. This wasn't smug and condescending, it was a joke and sort of a play on the real problem, which is...

The statement essentially says "people don't get me" which is completely and totally true. People constantly level themselves trying to understand what I'm saying and leave me totally flummoxed as to how they came to that interpretation. This is where the little joke part of the statement comes from, the idea that OOT is at a lower level because people are constantly levelling themselves (like you did), but that was merely some subtle sarcasm and in reality it's not a lower level, it's just a different place off to the side. The way my thought processes works is different and trying to communicate with the rest of the world is difficult at best. I level myself on other people's statements regularly for much the same reason, although it doesn't happen nearly as often as people do on me simply because I'm much more used to dealing with it. I used to way overuse "" to help make this all a bit clearer that you shouldn't take every statement I said completely and totally seriously despite how serious the rest of my post seems, but for some reason I stopped doing that much. I probably should start it up again.

So essentially, what I'm unpopular for is being different. Welcome to elementary school.
For some reason, this guy popped into my head.
Golden_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #470
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 36,771
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacardo View Post
Just for the sake of argument, are 'ego and snobbishness' and 'honest and comfortable in his own skin' at all mutually exclusive?
Just for the sake of argument, wow you've become such a little *****.
27offsuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #471
Classic
formerly ClassicBob
 
Classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champions
Posts: 5,962
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

27o v. cardo

gogogogogogogogogo
Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #472
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 36,771
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

The second that cardo vs. nath is completed, I would accept this challenge after hammering out the details.


imo

Last edited by 27offsuit; 07-27-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: not one of my better paints, but don't want to waste the time on cardo
27offsuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #473
Anacardo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anacardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: documents on fiiiile!
Posts: 20,543
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27offsuit View Post
Just for the sake of argument, wow you've become such a little *****.
What the ****, dude. Are they or aren't they. I would wager that, usually, the same person would be described as either depending on whether they were liked or disliked, since those phrases are for the most part positive or negative spins on the same set of traits. Not sure why that gets your balls in a twist but no hard feelings.
Anacardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #474
Yeti
Abominable
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 23,156
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

zzz, no one is willing to sac up these days. very weak. i wanna see two high profile posters go at it. tomorrows lineup has left me unimpressed.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #475
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 36,771
Re: OOT let's get a Survivor going

Yeti,

Some examples of scenarios that would please you?
27offsuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive