Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #126
H0RUS
old hand
 
H0RUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: illuminaughty
Posts: 1,812
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

46k people gping to this facebook event "shoot irma"

I guess you can add raining bullets as one of the hazards

https://m.facebook.com/events/126766931320280/?acontext=%7B"ref"%3A"22"%2C"feed_story_type"%3A"2 2"%2C"action_history"%3A"null"%7D&pnref=story
H0RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #127
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The radical left
Posts: 18,944
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFanIA View Post
Best case for Florida is that this thing makes some sort of landfall in Cuba. That would knock some of the strength out of it. Some current models suggest a decent chance of this.
There are people in Cuba too, you know.
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #128
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,072
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Projecting landfall to be in 48 hours in Naples

gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #129
HawkFanIA
Pooh-Bah
 
HawkFanIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,740
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikzak View Post
There are people in Cuba too, you know.
hence why I said the best case for "Florida"
HawkFanIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #130
HawkFanIA
Pooh-Bah
 
HawkFanIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,740
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

wow

HawkFanIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #131
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Irma's way
Posts: 42,209
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Yeah, looking worse and worse for the west side.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #132
Fedfan691
Pooh-Bah
 
Fedfan691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bed-Stuy, County of Kings
Posts: 3,507
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RUS View Post
**first day its happened during the record keeping era. That doesnt mean its never happened before.
He didn't say it's never happened before, he said unheard of, which you just confirmed.
Fedfan691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #133
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Irma's way
Posts: 42,209
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Blotkis is concerned.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #134
eastern motors
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where your job is your credit
Posts: 8,928
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikzak View Post
There are people in Cuba too, you know.
They are way better at hurricans than Florida Man

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/08/h...-disaster-plan
eastern motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #135
Playbig2000
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Playbig2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 6,200
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Earlier today CNN interviewed a guy who lives on Miami Beach with a 1yr old and a 4yr old and said he's not going to obey evacuation orders. He thinks because he's in a high rise he's up high enough above the surge but winds are much stronger at altitude. Not to mention being cut off from the world for several days in case of an emergency.

Shouldn't this stubborn dummy get arrested for child endangerment? What if one of his kids gets cut in the head from flying glass and dies, can and should he be charged with manslaughter? If it was up to me it would be yes.
Playbig2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #136
eastern motors
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where your job is your credit
Posts: 8,928
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playbig2000 View Post
Earlier today CNN interviewed a guy who lives on Miami Beach with a 1yr old and a 4yr old and said he's not going to obey evacuation orders. He thinks because he's in a high rise he's up high enough above the surge but winds are much stronger at altitude. Not to mention being cut off from the world for several days in case of an emergency.

Shouldn't this stubborn dummy get arrested for child endangerment? What if one of his kids gets cut in the head from flying glass and dies, can and should he be charged with manslaughter? If it was up to me it would be yes.
I think I'd rather be in a high rise (not next to huge construction crane) than in a traffic jam trying to get out of the state. Obv they are going to be in a bathroom or hallway without windows during the worst of it.

People have previously not been let back into the disaster area for 10+ days and all their stuff got looted.
eastern motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #137
Fedfan691
Pooh-Bah
 
Fedfan691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bed-Stuy, County of Kings
Posts: 3,507
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern motors View Post
I think I'd rather be in a high rise (not next to huge construction crane) than in a traffic jam trying to get out of the state. Obv they are going to be in a bathroom or hallway without windows during the worst of it.

People have previously not been let back into the disaster area for 10+ days and all their stuff got looted.
why is getting stuck in traffic during the hurricane the other option to ignoring evacuation orders? miami to atlanta is 9.5 hours with current traffic.
Fedfan691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #138
eastern motors
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Where your job is your credit
Posts: 8,928
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedfan691 View Post
why is getting stuck in traffic during the hurricane the other option to ignoring evacuation orders? miami to atlanta is 9.5 hours with current traffic.
I had read it 12 hours to the GA border and issues with waiting hours for gas. "Current traffic" could get pretty variable. A million people could aSZerd

Definitely going to be hard/impossible to find a hotel. If you don't have friends to stay with, you are going to be sleeping in your car until you can get back into your high rise. Could be a week+.
eastern motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #139
Fedfan691
Pooh-Bah
 
Fedfan691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bed-Stuy, County of Kings
Posts: 3,507
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern motors View Post
I had read it 12 hours to the GA border and issues with waiting hours for gas. "Current traffic" could get pretty variable. A million people could aSZerd

Definitely going to be hard/impossible to find a hotel. If you don't have friends to stay with, you are going to be sleeping in your car until you can get back into your high rise. Could be a week+.
there has to be some weird constraints in your mind as to where he can drive in order for this to be true.
Fedfan691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #140
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Irma's way
Posts: 42,209
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Gf's mom left Ocala this afternoon and they are in Georgia now. Stop and go all the way with hazard lanes open.

People are still just now deciding to leave. Most thought it was going up the east coast so the weren't going to leave. But the new tracks are taking it much farther west so everyone is getting out now.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #141
Holliday
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Holliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forum Withdrawal's world
Posts: 15,757
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Fedfan, remember you are dealing with Florida man here.
Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #142
businessdude
Pooh-Bah
 
businessdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,345
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

is there a traffic jam on I-95 now? is it expected to be flooded?
businessdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #143
Rexx14
veteran
 
Rexx14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,561
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Stay safe everyone. Sounds like it is going to be a doozy.
Rexx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #144
Holliday
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Holliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forum Withdrawal's world
Posts: 15,757
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessdude View Post
is there a traffic jam on I-95 now? is it expected to be flooded?
Looks clear until Savannah. You can just look in Google maps anytime.
Holliday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #145
Doozie350
grinder
 
Doozie350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Land of the Free USA#1
Posts: 442
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

My brother is in Ft. Myers and staying at his work building, not in a evacuation zone but fairly close, still much better than his house. Looking like they will get a direct hit. This thing is so nuts not sure if the wind or the water is scarier.
Doozie350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #146
rafiki
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 32,248
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

I'm having trouble even conceptualizing any of this. What a horror show. Hurts my heart.
rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #147
H0RUS
old hand
 
H0RUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: illuminaughty
Posts: 1,812
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedfan691 View Post
He didn't say it's never happened before, he said unheard of, which you just confirmed.
In the long run, is it really unheard of though? I mean our sample size compared to earths is rather small in scale and its really difficult to have everything set for hurricane production season. So now that we see it live we shouldnt rule it out as extraordinary. It might be another 5 years, even 12 or 20, before we see something as powerful as irma again.
H0RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #148
rafiki
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 32,248
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Ok this is so dope. can't believe she's 51 too

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/09/0...-south-florida

and clicking the settings on this is mind blowing: https://earth.nullschool.net/#2017/0...-86.475,34.683
rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #149
Fedfan691
Pooh-Bah
 
Fedfan691's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bed-Stuy, County of Kings
Posts: 3,507
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RUS View Post
In the long run, is it really unheard of though? I mean our sample size compared to earths is rather small in scale and its really difficult to have everything set for hurricane production season. So now that we see it live we shouldnt rule it out as extraordinary. It might be another 5 years, even 12 or 20, before we see something as powerful as irma again.
well, have you heard of it? otherwise I have a hard time understanding why you have a problem with his use of unheard.
Fedfan691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #150
Losing all
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Losing all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: out there
Posts: 6,898
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
I'm having trouble even conceptualizing any of this. What a horror show. Hurts my heart.

Me too. That Virgin Islands video helps though. This is gonna rip Florida apart.
Losing all is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online