Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #551
Doozie350
grinder
 
Doozie350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Land of the Free USA#1
Posts: 444
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0X0F View Post
When I read this, I did a double take. I was sure I was in the "idiotic FaceBook" thread.
A+
Doozie350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #552
gusmahler
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
gusmahler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Creepin'
Posts: 29,072
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
Cnn wasn't very helpful for people actually in the path. The local abc station was the best for us.
Same thing in Houston. The national news networks were just talking about the most damaged parts of Houston. The local networks were telling us about all the different areas and keeping us updated when things changed (like when they released the reservoirs).
gusmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #553
THAY3R
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
THAY3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Que?
Posts: 31,588
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

THAY3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #554
loldolphins
grinder
 
loldolphins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: south florida
Posts: 470
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

I'm in western Broward county in Florida (Plantation) and still have no power. It went out about 11:30 am on Sunday. I'm staying with family that does have power so for that I'm thankful. Can't imagine if I didn't have any family in the area and was just sitting in the dark after 72+ hours. The temperature in my apartment is currently about 100 degrees.
loldolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #555
cs3
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
cs3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: the shallow end
Posts: 9,941
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAY3R View Post
of course there are no meaningful trends. 50 years of weather data is quite literally just a blip on the radar. that sample is so tiny compared to the history of earth's climate that its completely meaningless
cs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #556
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,800
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs3 View Post
of course there are no meaningful trends. 50 years of weather data is quite literally just a blip on the radar. that sample is so tiny compared to the history of earth's climate that its completely meaningless
Do you say the same regarding temperature?
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #557
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Irma's way
Posts: 42,211
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loldolphins View Post
I'm in western Broward county in Florida (Plantation) and still have no power. It went out about 11:30 am on Sunday. I'm staying with family that does have power so for that I'm thankful. Can't imagine if I didn't have any family in the area and was just sitting in the dark after 72+ hours. The temperature in my apartment is currently about 100 degrees.
I was going to post earlier that it wasn't too bad here the last couple nights but tonight is brutal. 90 percent of our complex has power. I'm in the 10 percent. Duke isn't even acknowledging that it is out. We aren't showing up on the outage map. When we call to report, the message says "you are the first to report an outage in that area." I was handling this pretty well until I saw everyone around me get power. I can't reach anyone at Duke. I honestly don't even think they know it is out.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:55 AM   #558
IHaveThreePair
grinder
 
IHaveThreePair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SWUK
Posts: 413
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs3 View Post
of course there are no meaningful trends. 50 years of weather data is quite literally just a blip on the radar. that sample is so tiny compared to the history of earth's climate that its completely meaningless
https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/3M_HEA...ntent55-07.png

So that's not a meaningful trend?

All that graph shows is that there's not been a correlation between rising sea temps over past 50 years and the amount of hurricanes.

Looks like we've been running +EV.
IHaveThreePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:06 AM   #559
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Irma's way
Posts: 42,211
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Apparently, Duke's online reporting system is not working. Neither is their outage map. Their entire everything is ****ed.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:07 AM   #560
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Irma's way
Posts: 42,211
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
Apparently, Duke's online reporting system is not working. Neither is their outage map. Their entire everything is ****ed.
I honestly think they have no clue who has power and who doesn't.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:25 AM   #561
estefaniocurry
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 243
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveThreePair View Post
I have no idea why roundabouts are so alien to you guys...
They take up a huge amount of space and make everything look ugly. They make sense in places like Europe, Canada, and Massachusetts that are full of smug *******s that like driving in circles.
estefaniocurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #562
Jbrochu
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,211
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
I was going to post earlier that it wasn't too bad here the last couple nights but tonight is brutal. 90 percent of our complex has power. I'm in the 10 percent. Duke isn't even acknowledging that it is out. We aren't showing up on the outage map. When we call to report, the message says "you are the first to report an outage in that area." I was handling this pretty well until I saw everyone around me get power. I can't reach anyone at Duke. I honestly don't even think they know it is out.
You are probably screwed for a while. They need to focus on areas with large numbers of outages.
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #563
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The radical left
Posts: 18,950
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estefaniocurry View Post
They take up a huge amount of space and make everything look ugly. They make sense in places like Europe, Canada, and Massachusetts that are full of smug *******s that like driving in circles.
This dude has issues.
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #564
IHaveThreePair
grinder
 
IHaveThreePair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SWUK
Posts: 413
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estefaniocurry View Post
They take up a huge amount of space and make everything look ugly. They make sense in places like Europe, Canada, and Massachusetts that are full of smug *******s that like driving in circles.
They don't take up much space at all here, but I guess when you have 4x 8 lane carriageways coming to a head they would start getting pretty big.
IHaveThreePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #565
Minimalist
old hand
 
Minimalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,871
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Except for a few rural Amish areas, carriages were phased out in the US a few years back.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #566
IHaveThreePair
grinder
 
IHaveThreePair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SWUK
Posts: 413
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Except for a few rural Amish areas, carriages were phased out in the US a few years back.
Whoops, my bad. Forgot that you have your own version of the English language.
IHaveThreePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #567
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Irma's way
Posts: 42,211
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrochu View Post
You are probably screwed for a while. They need to focus on areas with large numbers of outages.
Trucks came again this morning. GF went to thank them. While she was talking to one guy, another turned around and left. She asked the guy she was talking to when they thought they would finish. He said they were and all power was restored. Only it wasn't. They have no clue. He assured her he would go back and get us up and running. I can't check until tonight.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #568
Playbig2000
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Playbig2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 6,206
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveThreePair View Post
https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/3M_HEA...ntent55-07.png

So that's not a meaningful trend?

All that graph shows is that there's not been a correlation between rising sea temps over past 50 years and the amount of hurricanes.

Looks like we've been running +EV.
Climate change does happen but it's cyclical - it's not caused by us, contrary to what some others want everyone to believe.

If it was caused by us, why are other planets in our solar system also heating up?

https://www.livescience.com/1349-sun...th-worlds.html
Playbig2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #569
zikzak
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zikzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The radical left
Posts: 18,950
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

ffs, there is an entire god damn thread in the politics forum for you guys to spew your climate idiocy in.
zikzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #570
loldolphins
grinder
 
loldolphins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: south florida
Posts: 470
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
I was going to post earlier that it wasn't too bad here the last couple nights but tonight is brutal. 90 percent of our complex has power. I'm in the 10 percent. Duke isn't even acknowledging that it is out. We aren't showing up on the outage map. When we call to report, the message says "you are the first to report an outage in that area." I was handling this pretty well until I saw everyone around me get power. I can't reach anyone at Duke. I honestly don't even think they know it is out.
Hang in there man. I'm at 96+ hrs of no power
loldolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #571
Jbrochu
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,211
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerboat View Post
Trucks came again this morning. GF went to thank them. While she was talking to one guy, another turned around and left. She asked the guy she was talking to when they thought they would finish. He said they were and all power was restored. Only it wasn't. They have no clue. He assured her he would go back and get us up and running. I can't check until tonight.
Oh that's good - maybe you will get lucky if crews are still in the area.

What happened to me one time after a major ice storm is the local crews came through and got the power back up for just about everyone, then they were sent south to help with the areas of major devastation.

Meanwhile, my power was only back up for about an hour (after being out for 3 days) when the transistor at the top of my street blew. This only affected about 20 houses so they came right out and told us we were screwed for a while because they couldn't justify pulling crews back to the area for only 20 houses. (Understandable but frustrating.) We ended up with no power for an additional 7 days. And it got really cold - like lows of about 10 degree F.
Jbrochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #572
biggerboat
you're gonna need one
 
biggerboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In Irma's way
Posts: 42,211
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrochu View Post
Oh that's good - maybe you will get lucky if crews are still in the area.

What happened to me one time after a major ice storm is the local crews came through and got the power back up for just about everyone, then they were sent south to help with the areas of major devastation.

Meanwhile, my power was only back up for about an hour (after being out for 3 days) when the transistor at the top of my street blew. This only affected about 20 houses so they came right out and told us we were screwed for a while because they couldn't justify pulling crews back to the area for only 20 houses. (Understandable but frustrating.) We ended up with no power for an additional 7 days. And it got really cold - like lows of about 10 degree F.
Ugh.

Still no power. I'm unsure if they stayed or left.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #573
Doozie350
grinder
 
Doozie350's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Land of the Free USA#1
Posts: 444
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

They told my brother they estimate 9/22 for his.
Doozie350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #574
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 45,096
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Irmaids (and Harvaids) victims should go here asap

https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

Put in your address to see if your county is eligible for disaster relief (yours is BB and loldolphins). There is no sense in leaving that money on the table.
Namath12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #575
Namath12
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Namath12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 45,096
Re: Irma is Coming (and Jose is not too far behind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrochu View Post
Oh that's good - maybe you will get lucky if crews are still in the area.

What happened to me one time after a major ice storm is the local crews came through and got the power back up for just about everyone, then they were sent south to help with the areas of major devastation.

Meanwhile, my power was only back up for about an hour (after being out for 3 days) when the transistor at the top of my street blew. This only affected about 20 houses so they came right out and told us we were screwed for a while because they couldn't justify pulling crews back to the area for only 20 houses. (Understandable but frustrating.) We ended up with no power for an additional 7 days. And it got really cold - like lows of about 10 degree F.
Power in my hood was restored yesterday for approx. 2 hours, then it went off again and has been off since.
Namath12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online