Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 02:16 PM   #151
B00T
Pooh-Bah
 
B00T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,246
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

I love this place.
B00T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:17 PM   #152
Patrick del Poker Grande
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Patrick del Poker Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sciencing Rockets
Posts: 9,999
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

Quote:
and, suppose you could pick any weapon, but each kid gets the same weapon. what would you choose (if anything)? I would take a 35-pound spiked elongated mace or a 45-pound broadsword.

matt
You definitely need to pick out something heavy and unweildy (and blunt - sharp elements are bad for you) for this option.
Patrick del Poker Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:21 PM   #153
Stork
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: deterraforming your FACE
Posts: 1,478
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

Sequential mode would definetely be the toughest. For all the modes though, I think the KO'ed kids should stay in the arena. Adds a nice aroma to the atmosphere, and you can pick them up and use 'em as weapons.

And to whoever wrote that their 5 year old is really strong, HE'S NOT. Your 5-year old is as weak as any 5 year old, he's NOT special.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #154
fnord_too
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
fnord_too's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Value Town
Posts: 29,116
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

Zero, I couldn't bring myself to attack a five year old unless there was a life threatening situation (like he had a loaded gun).
fnord_too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #155
bicyclekick
luckbox
 
bicyclekick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: waiting to ski
Posts: 7,070
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

great topic gonores.
bicyclekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #156
DMBFan23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: > Brady
Posts: 8,515
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

sharp objects definitely increase your variance, and are -EV. one poke to the eye from a spear and you're screwed, but good luck picking up a big club, you little punks.
DMBFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:19 PM   #157
Patrick del Poker Grande
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Patrick del Poker Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sciencing Rockets
Posts: 9,999
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

Quote:
I vote for the "out" kids to disappear as if it were a video game.

More to this, let's change the game a little bit. Let's say you can either play "Arcade" mode, "Sequential" mode or "Quick Game" mode.

Arcade Mode: You start with a set number of kids in the room, which is set by the difficulty rating. As each kid is immobilized, he disappears and a new one is generated and runs out on the field. You essentially are playing an endless game and are trying for a high score. Parameters can be changed so that, for instance, as you progress, maybe 2 kids come out for each one you knock out or maybe instead of kids coming in only when others are knocked out, maybe they come in at a certain time interval, which can speed up as time goes along. Maybe you get special bonuses for killer moves or taking out several kids at once. If you picked the easy mode, this could potentially go on seemingly forever, especially if you knew where the kids generated from and could just camp out right there and pop 'em in the face right as they run onto the field like we used to do playing multiplayer FPS games.

Sequential Mode: You start with one kid, knock him out, then two come out in the next round, then three, etc. Again, it's an endless game and you're playing for high score. Things like break time or health rejuvination between rounds can be discussed, as well as parameter changes discussed in Arcade Mode above.

Quick Game: You set the number of kids you want to begin with and once you're done with them, the game's over. This is pretty much what we've been talking about so far, I assume, and I think would be the toughest to get the high score in, depending on the exact parameters.

Clearly the possibilities are endless.
I think we need a good name for this game.

Also, let's say you're going to be a professional or at least a serious enthusiast of this game. How would you train? I think my main focus would be on stamina and upper arm strength. I'd go with a rowing machine and upper body training.
Patrick del Poker Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 PM   #158
Shajen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 2,no 6, no 12, bakers dozen!!!
Posts: 7,482
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

Quote:
Quote:
I vote for the "out" kids to disappear as if it were a video game.

More to this, let's change the game a little bit. Let's say you can either play "Arcade" mode, "Sequential" mode or "Quick Game" mode.

Arcade Mode: You start with a set number of kids in the room, which is set by the difficulty rating. As each kid is immobilized, he disappears and a new one is generated and runs out on the field. You essentially are playing an endless game and are trying for a high score. Parameters can be changed so that, for instance, as you progress, maybe 2 kids come out for each one you knock out or maybe instead of kids coming in only when others are knocked out, maybe they come in at a certain time interval, which can speed up as time goes along. Maybe you get special bonuses for killer moves or taking out several kids at once. If you picked the easy mode, this could potentially go on seemingly forever, especially if you knew where the kids generated from and could just camp out right there and pop 'em in the face right as they run onto the field like we used to do playing multiplayer FPS games.

Sequential Mode: You start with one kid, knock him out, then two come out in the next round, then three, etc. Again, it's an endless game and you're playing for high score. Things like break time or health rejuvination between rounds can be discussed, as well as parameter changes discussed in Arcade Mode above.

Quick Game: You set the number of kids you want to begin with and once you're done with them, the game's over. This is pretty much what we've been talking about so far, I assume, and I think would be the toughest to get the high score in, depending on the exact parameters.

Clearly the possibilities are endless.
I think we need a good name for this game.

Also, let's say you're going to be a professional or at least a serious enthusiast of this game. How would you train? I think my main focus would be on stamina and upper arm strength. I'd go with a rowing machine and upper body training.
I think Gladiator Games 2005 is a good name. (Of course, you'd have to have Madden in there pimping updates every year, stuff like BOOM! only gets you so far before it starts getting lame and you have to resort to chainsaws and the like.

As far as strength conditioning, from all these posts I've read saying they could handle 30+, I'm sure just pounding some OEs and snorting coke would do the trick (sarcasm)

Seriously, if you were gonna do this, I think you'd need to cross train, meaning a "strongest man" routine and a marathon runners routine. That way you have quick burst energy/strength, and the stamina to wade through the puddles of death you leave in your wake.

Happy Hunting.
Shajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #159
gonores
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Same Bat Channel
Posts: 2,472
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

Quote:
Zero, I couldn't bring myself to attack a five year old unless there was a life threatening situation (like he had a loaded gun).
Yeah, unlike the rest of us, who have no problem killing kindergartners for sport. Jeez....suspend reality for a few minutes to participate in a fun discussion.
gonores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:33 PM   #160
Shajen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 2,no 6, no 12, bakers dozen!!!
Posts: 7,482
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

Yeah, unlike the rest of us, who have no problem killing kindergartners for sport. Jeez....suspend reality for a few minutes to participate in a fun discussion.

[/quote]

WTF are you talking about, suspend reality? This is the next Extreme Game dude. ESPN is salivating at the mouth to get this program launched. Makes Moto-X seem pretty weak.

Shajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #161
Sponger.
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 20,593
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

I think 20. Any more than that, and there would just be so many kids in this enclosed area they would just be able to bum rush you and tackle you and dogpile on you and it would be over.

You really think that you'd be able to stop more than a certain number of kids rushing you at the same time? Get real.
Sponger. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:42 PM   #162
Hoya
veteran
 
Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,088
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

A basketball court is very large compared to a mass of 20 5 year olds. Keeping running and they'll break formation.
Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #163
DMBFan23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: > Brady
Posts: 8,515
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

if they were well trained they'd pull a gladiator style huddle in the center kind of action, and when you came near them, they'd try to get around behind you and then you'd be in a tough spot. if you got one and managed to bull rush through, they reform and start over, and you're more tired then they are. this is why I think numbers above 50 are too hard to beat *if traned*

- especially since gonores gets to pick the smartest ones.
DMBFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM   #164
jakethebake
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jakethebake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 20,857
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

Quote:
I think 20. Any more than that, and there would just be so many kids in this enclosed area they would just be able to bum rush you and tackle you and dogpile on you and it would be over.
The arguement against this logic is that all 20 kids can't get at you at once. Only like 5 or 6 at a time could reach you or they're just getting in each others way. I don't believe 5 or 6 five year-olds could pull me down.
jakethebake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #165
lucas9000
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: planet spaceball
Posts: 3,051
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

Quote:
and, suppose you could pick any weapon, but each kid gets the same weapon. what would you choose (if anything)? I would take a 35-pound spiked elongated mace or a 45-pound broadsword.
the problem with heavy weapons is that they will tire you out swinging them, even if you are stronger-than-average. sure, the kids won't be able to lift the heavy weapons, but you've only got a limited number of swings in you, stamina-wise.

i'd take a nice aluminum baseball bat. sure, the kids will be able to lift it, but there's no way they have the strength to swing it hard enough to hurt you. and don't say they could all team up, because only a few kids can all hold it at the same time, and even then their swing would be terribly uncoordinated and weak. you could just stand there and play tee-ball with their heads all day, using the occasional kicks, etc., to deal with some of them.
lucas9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #166
Patrick del Poker Grande
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Patrick del Poker Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sciencing Rockets
Posts: 9,999
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

There definitely is a critical mass after which more kids doesn't make any difference. What is this critical number? It would be different for different tactics. If you were talking about them jumping on you and doing whatever, there's only room for so many of them to jump on you. If you're talking about them forming en masse and bumrushing you, then the number is different. You could say that 100 kids running at you is a lot of mass, but when it hits you, it's certainly not with 100 times the force of one kid running into you.

I think anything more than single digits for either of these scenarios is all the same in the immediate. Any more than that just adds to the stamina and recovery ability required to keep repeating.
Patrick del Poker Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #167
pudley4
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
pudley4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: POG
Posts: 6,828
The correct answer is 47

Do you see why?

I'll leave it for others to elaborate...
pudley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #168
Patrick del Poker Grande
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Patrick del Poker Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sciencing Rockets
Posts: 9,999
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

Quote:
Quote:
and, suppose you could pick any weapon, but each kid gets the same weapon. what would you choose (if anything)? I would take a 35-pound spiked elongated mace or a 45-pound broadsword.
the problem with heavy weapons is that they will tire you out swinging them, even if you are stronger-than-average. sure, the kids won't be able to lift the heavy weapons, but you've only got a limited number of swings in you, stamina-wise.

i'd take a nice aluminum baseball bat. sure, the kids will be able to lift it, but there's no way they have the strength to swing it hard enough to hurt you. and don't say they could all team up, because only a few kids can all hold it at the same time, and even then their swing would be terribly uncoordinated and weak. you could just stand there and play tee-ball with their heads all day, using the occasional kicks, etc., to deal with some of them.
This strategy has some merit, but I think you really underestimate a kid with an aluminum bat. For this to work, I think you'd have to be an all-universe swordsman who could beat these kids down without letting them get a shot in.

I think in the end, the best strategy is to just pick either something so unweildy that they can't use it or something so ridiculously weak that it doesn't give them any advantage. I'd then just not use the weapon. I think there's plenty of advantage to the adult without any weapons and the introduction of any weapons is only tipping the scales more to the kids' favor.
Patrick del Poker Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #169
Shajen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 2,no 6, no 12, bakers dozen!!!
Posts: 7,482
Re: How many 5 year-olds.....

Hey gonores,

wtf got you guys talking about this subject? I mean, it's awesome, don't get me wrong, but wtf dude?
Shajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #170
lucas9000
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: planet spaceball
Posts: 3,051
Re: The correct answer is 47

Quote:
Do you see why?
classic.

on an unrelated note, i can't wait for some stupid idiot to think this thread is serious. "tonight on action news: internet psycopaths plot to kidnap 5 year-olds for gladiator-style deathmatch."
lucas9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #171
elwoodblues
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sweet Home, Chicago
Posts: 5,393
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

A bat is an awful choice. At some point you will fall down or get tackled. Having kids hit you with bats while you are down would be horrible. You have to choose something heavier than a bat, but not too heavy to prematurely tire yourself. Either that or choose a weapon that requires greater dexterity than a five year old could handle (compound bow? would require both strength and dexterity.)

I think I would rather opt for some sort of protection over a weapon. Maybe a helmet without a face guard. That way, you can still hurt them pretty bad and protect the one part of the body that would allow them to knock you out.
elwoodblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #172
B00T
Pooh-Bah
 
B00T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,246
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

I agree with standing in the corner and cracking their heads up againist the wall. A half push (they only weigh like 40 pounds total) would knock them out. I think I could even crack 2 at once with 2 hands and just ram them to the wall. I also like the wall idea so that you could back up againist it and not fall, as well as not having anyone hit your legs from behind or something that could cause you to lose balance.

I think with this strategy you could knock out about 70 before you come physically exhausted and are ripe for the pickens.
B00T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #173
lucas9000
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: planet spaceball
Posts: 3,051
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

Quote:
I think in the end, the best strategy is to just pick either something so unweildy that they can't use it or something so ridiculously weak that it doesn't give them any advantage. I'd then just not use the weapon.
ok then, so maybe this or one of these.
lucas9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #174
MattSuspect
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MattSuspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Heart Cooks Brain
Posts: 13,690
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

- You are not allowed to touch a wall.
MattSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:13 PM   #175
lucas9000
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: planet spaceball
Posts: 3,051
Re: What about with weapons?!!!

Quote:
A bat is an awful choice. At some point you will fall down or get tackled. Having kids hit you with bats while you are down would be horrible.
damnit you're right. i feel like i'm inferior to a 5 year-old for even suggesting it. i guess i'll just take

a leather glove.
lucas9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive