Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2021, 02:22 AM   #5751
pwnsall
CFBBPC
 
pwnsall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,072
Re: Home ownership

What a very strange comment.
pwnsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #5752
capone0
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
capone0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 42,790
Re: Home ownership

If there are constantly price wars and you aren’t as price sensitive as other people, you don’t mind spending more cash it’s common sense bro. Let’s say your rent was 8k a month in the Bay Area, you don’t mind paying a few k more than anyone else to win a bid for something that might be slightly overpriced in the area you’re buying but significantly cheaper than where you’re coming from.
capone0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #5753
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16,833
Re: Home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnsall View Post
If I live in one state working from home remotely for another state where do I pay state taxes?
Some states have started to claim that your job is really at the office even if you don't ever go there so they can tax your income.
Didace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #5754
Garick
Oberbiergenießer
 
Garick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Do you even math, bruh?
Posts: 24,044
Re: Home ownership

Both of those stories represent what I call "lying with statistics."

The CNN one makes a point of "lots of people moving," and supports it with the statistic that the 8.93 million movers represent "an increase of nearly 94,000 from the same period the year before." Note the impression of size given by using the zeros in the increase and not in the overall number. There's no direct untruth here, but an increase of 94K is only just over 1% more than the year before. Not nearly as significant as the article implies. Also note that while California made the headline, it did not make the top five states for percentages of moves that were outbound.

The LA Times article, on the other hand, uses actual statistics for the things it wants to emphasize, and word pictures with no numbers for things it soft pedals. For example, it gives the statement that among those moving, the percentage leaving the state has been increasing since 2015 the "trend that continued in 2020 with 'no marked increase,'" rather than giving actual numbers. All of the discussion of San Francisco, on the other hand, gets numerous statistics thrown at it.

Hiding at the end of the article is the note that "The number of people leaving California typically tracks with the amount entering the state. But the findings show that wasn’t the case in the fourth quarter of 2020, when 267,000 people left the state and only 128,000 entered." Is this "mass" by the standards of California's overall population? Probably not, but it is a net loss of more than the 94K over 3 quarters that the CNN article treats as "lots of people leaving." Same facts, different spin.
Garick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #5755
golddog
veteran
 
golddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the beer line
Posts: 2,715
Re: Home ownership

Out of curiosity, I looked up what's on the market in my hometown (dying town in N WI).

The most expensive house there was listed for about 62% of what mine would go for here.

So I could go back there and be the overpaying invader.

Except I'd have to live somewhere it's winter five months/year. Nah, maybe I'll try San Diego/Keys/somewhere warm instead.
golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #5756
Shuffle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Shuffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,761
Re: Home ownership

Coming from the Midwest I never understood the complaints about winter. It makes you a tougher person, lots of softies in the sunshine states.
Shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #5757
Dr. Meh
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,925
Re: Home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddog View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked up what's on the market in my hometown (dying town in N WI).

The most expensive house there was listed for about 62% of what mine would go for here.

So I could go back there and be the overpaying invader.

Except I'd have to live somewhere it's winter five months/year. Nah, maybe I'll try San Diego/Keys/somewhere warm instead.
San Diego is one of, if not the, best city in the nation. I love it there. There’s just an awesome vibe to it all.
Dr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #5758
pwnsall
CFBBPC
 
pwnsall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,072
Re: Home ownership

People actually let you get over when driving and don't stop their cars in crosswalks. Surreal.
pwnsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #5759
golddog
veteran
 
golddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the beer line
Posts: 2,715
Re: Home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Meh View Post
San Diego is one of, if not the, best city in the nation. I love it there. There’s just an awesome vibe to it all.
I spent 3-4 days there a few years ago. Really enjoyed it. It's on the list of places for me to investigate my fantasy of having a winter place.

Need to spend more time to investigate further. Maybe this winter.
golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #5760
razorbacker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
razorbacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: DUNK CITY
Posts: 6,527
Re: Home ownership

San Diego is the best place in the US if price isn’t a consideration.
razorbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #5761
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 9,766
Re: Home ownership

rickroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #5762
txdome
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
txdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 14,521
Re: Home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
San Diego is the best place in the US if price isn’t a consideration.
San Diego is right near the top, but if price is not a consideration go north on the coast 150 miles.
txdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #5763
Dr. Meh
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,925
Re: Home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdome View Post
San Diego is right near the top, but if price is not a consideration go north on the coast 150 miles.
Are you talking about Laguna/Newport area? If so, I personally still prefer La Jolla in San Diego.

Or are you talking even further north to the Santa Barbara area?
Dr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #5764
golddog
veteran
 
golddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In the beer line
Posts: 2,715
Re: Home ownership

While it'll probably remain a fantasy because I'm too cautious, I'd like to start snowbirding at some point.

San Diego certainly a candidate. I also like the Florida Keys. Might consider other spots.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience and tips for the logistics of maintaining two houses, I'd like that.
golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #5765
GooseHinson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
GooseHinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,436
Re: Home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddog View Post
While it'll probably remain a fantasy because I'm too cautious, I'd like to start snowbirding at some point.

San Diego certainly a candidate. I also like the Florida Keys. Might consider other spots.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience and tips for the logistics of maintaining two houses, I'd like that.
Get condos, airbnb the one you aren't in and get a good cleaner that can give you updates etc. upon checkout. Know a local handyman for when there's problems.
GooseHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #5766
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 14,777
Re: Home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLoveYouLongTime View Post
I'm trying to buy a house in Dallas and I have no idea what I'm doing right now. All the houses I've seen are listed at at ~+8% of their value last year.

Are the values just going to plummet next year and it's a huge mistake to buy right now?

I found a great house that needs A LOT of work (about $20k+labor if the wiring is k). I tried to offer 8.5% under listing price and the listing agent told the realtor I'm working with not to waste his time because he has several offers over listing after it has only been on the market for 4days.

Someone please explain housing markets to me.

Should I rent for 12months and then try to buy?
The good thing about buying in Dallas is that it's one of the fastest growing metros in the US so even if housing markets were to crash the long term prognosis for Dallas looks good (ie population increases mitigate downside risk). If interest rates stay low then it's unlikely we'll see prices fall in the next year.

The housing market is extra crazy in Dallas right now because people are moving from states like California at a record pace due to Covid. It's going to be hard to find a "steal" at the moment but it will likely be difficult next year and the year after as well. That's not to say you can't find a house that will continue to go up in value, especially if you buy a home in a neighborhood that is "up and coming."
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #5767
razorbacker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
razorbacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: DUNK CITY
Posts: 6,527
Re: Home ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher View Post
The good thing about buying in Dallas is that it's one of the fastest growing metros in the US so even if housing markets were to crash the long term prognosis for Dallas looks good (ie population increases mitigate downside risk). If interest rates stay low then it's unlikely we'll see prices fall in the next year.

The housing market is extra crazy in Dallas right now because people are moving from states like California at a record pace due to Covid. It's going to be hard to find a "steal" at the moment but it will likely be difficult next year and the year after as well. That's not to say you can't find a house that will continue to go up in value, especially if you buy a home in a neighborhood that is "up and coming."
Agree with this. If you have a family the prices aren’t too crazy in some of the suburbs. I don’t know much about Argyle, but I had a bad ass house in a cool neighborhood pop up on my feed today. Looks like a really small town, but so was Frisco twenty years ago.
razorbacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive