Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #701
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSaltCracka View Post
chances are you are far worse at cooking than you think and you still have no clue what you are talking about, or at the very least you can't understand what SC is trying to say. You apparently missed the whole discussion about how the only real noticeable difference between frozen meat and fresh is texture and maybe taste. Thremp argues that makes it difference makes it a higher quality, which is fine. I don't see how the difference is big enough to warrant "LOL" claims.

I can't tell if you are being purposely dense, but they learn a helluva lot more at culinary school than scrambling eggs. My guess is they learn far far far more than what your mom taught you growing up.
i was like... the first person to comment on the distinction between frozen and non frozen foods. so yeah, didnt miss that.

youre right, im probably a bit worse than i rate myself. that doesnt mean id still consider myself a LARGE favorite over the avg culinary school student; ive paid attention to this stupid **** since i was like 9 years old.

its LOL simply because of 2 things. 1, it seems pretty obvious imo (and i would imagine it seems obvious to most other ppl who have ever cooked a meal in their lifetime) and 2, even if it wasnt obvious the other way makes no sense at all.

yes im obv being purposefully dense; you are correct they teach more than how to scramble eggs. they also teach stuff like how to make a medium rare steak. oh wow! NOW all of that tuition is worth it! scrambled eggs AND medium rare steaks!!!
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #702
flashlight7878
banned
 
flashlight7878's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 525
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

they also teach you how to cut up fish!
flashlight7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #703
Henry17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: You've got a friend in me
Posts: 27,716
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

I don't think it even really matters if the difference is substantial or just a minor preference -- we all agree it is preferable to have fresh so why begrudge it to OP? If middle-class can't afford simple preferences like the ability to choose fresh meat over frozen then what is the point of being middle class?
Henry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #704
flashlight7878
banned
 
flashlight7878's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 525
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

hbo
flashlight7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #705
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugzwang83 View Post
its LOL simply because of 2 things. 1, it seems pretty obvious imo (and i would imagine it seems obvious to most other ppl who have ever cooked a meal in their lifetime) and 2, even if it wasnt obvious the other way makes no sense at all.
what doesn't make sense? Using frozen meat? Good grief man. What if you go to a store and see a great cut of meet on sale, only its more than you can eat in the next x amount of days. Buy it and freeze what you don't eat. I'd rather do that then only buy it when I want it and pay hand over fist for meat. The downgrade in quality is not large enough for me to give a ****. No one is arguing frozen is better than fresh, but plenty of people are saying they don't mind the difference enough to the point where they see better value in buying in bulk and freezing.

There seems to be a large group of people itt who seem to want the best at all times. Thats fine if thats your desire, but you better make sure you can afford it. Don't complain about being broke or barely scrapping buy when you are basically living above your means just because you want the best at all times. You have options. Either make more money or cut your costs. The suggestion of freezing meat is just one suggestion. The difference in quality is small enough, imo, that most people shouldn't be ****ting themselves over the thought of using meat thats been frozen.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #706
Henry17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: You've got a friend in me
Posts: 27,716
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

If OP admitted to having HBO OOT would have been arguing that he should be drawn and quartered.
Henry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #707
SomethingClever
Gorilla Killa
 
SomethingClever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: See profile for book: travel + lols
Posts: 13,213
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

lol@ high quality? I know I've mentioned before that my inlaws raise pigs and have them slaughtered for meat. It's good stuff, and it's frozen.

I also have like 12 lbs of wild alaskan salmon that was frozen immediately after being caught by a fisherman friend of the family.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #708
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight7878 View Post
they also teach you how to cut up fish!
and how to make hummus! top of the line stuff right there if you ask me.
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #709
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSaltCracka View Post
what doesn't make sense? Using frozen meat? Good grief man. What if you go to a store and see a great cut of meet on sale, only its more than you can eat in the next x amount of days. Buy it and freeze what you don't eat. I'd rather do that then only buy it when I want it and pay hand over fist for meat. The downgrade in quality is not large enough for me to give a ****. No one is arguing frozen is better than fresh, but plenty of people are saying they don't mind the difference enough to the point where they see better value in buying in bulk and freezing.
the part that didnt make sense, and was intuitively incorrect, was his stance on "assuming its high quality to start with" or whatever. i personally dont mind the difference either but ffs at least try to follow the context of the conversation.
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #710
SomethingClever
Gorilla Killa
 
SomethingClever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: See profile for book: travel + lols
Posts: 13,213
Also, yes, if you have a ****ty fresh steak and a ****ty frozen steak, the difference may be less pronounced than the difference between fresh $35/lb prime kobe and the frozen equivalent. But for what most people eat, like a decent usda choice ribeye, the difference will be negligible imo.

Last edited by SomethingClever; 05-25-2010 at 07:44 PM.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #711
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugzwang83 View Post
the part that didnt make sense, and was intuitively incorrect, was his stance on "assuming its high quality to start with" or whatever. i personally dont mind the difference either but ffs at least try to follow the context of the conversation.
You don't know where he gets his meat or what its quality is. You have no reason to assume its not high quality if he claims it is.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #712
Anacardo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anacardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: documents on fiiiile!
Posts: 20,543
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
I don't think it even really matters if the difference is substantial or just a minor preference -- we all agree it is preferable to have fresh so why begrudge it to OP? If middle-class can't afford simple preferences like the ability to choose fresh meat over frozen then what is the point of being middle class?
I mean, I agree with the essence of a lot of what you say about expectations and disillusionment and etc., but you seem to have these really weird, rigid notions of 'class' and 'what that (should) get(s) you' as though there were these bright-line distinctions and neat little boxes that don't change with time and location and blah blah. 'I am an X sort of person, I should therefore get Y and Z.'
Anacardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #713
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSaltCracka View Post
You don't know where he gets his meat or what its quality is. You have no reason to assume its not high quality if he claims it is.
dude go re-read what he originally wrote. it was a statement, qualified with "assuming it is high quality to start with" or something along those lines. he was wrong, regardless of where he gets his meat or what the quality ACTUALLY is. which is why i questioned it in the first place. jfc.

edit:

here, i did the hard work for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post
But assuming that you're starting with a good cut in the first place, the difference isn't really very noticeable.
its a ******ed statement, as the higher quality it is, the difference will in fact be MORE noticeable. you are either reading his post wrong, or have no idea what you are talking about.
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #714
SomethingClever
Gorilla Killa
 
SomethingClever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: See profile for book: travel + lols
Posts: 13,213
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Jesus christ, you are a nit. Fine, the more expensive the steak, the more you will notice the difference. The point I'm trying to make is that if you buy a decent steak and freeze it, its still gonna be decent when you cook it.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #715
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

good point, being a nit like i was is a far worse offense than (ambiguously) stating obvious facts like that. bravo, sir, bravo!
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #716
jmakin
DoorDash Balla
 
jmakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Streaming
Posts: 29,803
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post
Jesus christ, you are a nit. Fine, the more expensive the steak, the more you will notice the difference. The point I'm trying to make is that if you buy a decent steak and freeze it, its still gonna be decent when you cook it.
only if you have the palette of a 6 year old
jmakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #717
flashlight7878
banned
 
flashlight7878's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 525
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

not if you cut it up with cutco knives
flashlight7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #718
Henry17
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Henry17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: You've got a friend in me
Posts: 27,716
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacardo View Post
I mean, I agree with the essence of a lot of what you say about expectations and disillusionment and etc., but you seem to have these really weird, rigid notions of 'class' and 'what that (should) get(s) you' as though there were these bright-line distinctions and neat little boxes that don't change with time and location and blah blah. 'I am an X sort of person, I should therefore get Y and Z.'
Yes. It is based on the fact that when you price things in multiples of the average over the last ten years or so I have really noticed an eroding of value. It seems that every year you have to pay a higher multiple to maintain the same level of quality.
Henry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #719
SomethingClever
Gorilla Killa
 
SomethingClever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: See profile for book: travel + lols
Posts: 13,213
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Well it must not have been obvious enough because people like thremp were making some pretty silly blanket statements about frozen meat!
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #720
SomethingClever
Gorilla Killa
 
SomethingClever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: See profile for book: travel + lols
Posts: 13,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmakinmecrzy View Post
only if you have the palette of a 6 year old
Heh. I'm done with this abortion of a thread.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #721
zugzwang83
banned
 
zugzwang83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: drunk on the reg
Posts: 3,588
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post
Heh. I'm done with this abortion of a thread.
thank god.
zugzwang83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #722
Anacardo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anacardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: documents on fiiiile!
Posts: 20,543
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17 View Post
Yes. It is based on the fact that when you price things in multiples of the average over the last ten years or so I have really noticed an eroding of value. It seems that every year you have to pay a higher multiple to maintain the same level of quality.
That doesn't exactly follow, and I haven't been throwing money around as long as you have, but I obv know what you mean.

I'm pretty sure the bright boys over at Economics forum would say it's ultimately all down to ballooning energy prices, and anecdotally it's hard to argue with them. Gas was $.89 the summer I started driving. And all the ill **** I buy comes from trucks! Big trucks!
Anacardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #723
stabn
Usurper
 
stabn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boris?
Posts: 21,393
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

SC was right imo. But ya'll just gotta dids.
stabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #724
jmakin
DoorDash Balla
 
jmakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Streaming
Posts: 29,803
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

I'm only saying that because I had the perfect example last night of what freezing meats does to the quality of them. I cooked up some frozen hamburger, which I'm going to go out on a limb here and probably sound a little insane but it's probably one of the lower quality meats out there. It was ****ing horrible. A mcdonalds burger with nothing on it tasted better. Maybe it's just me, but freezing = losing a ton of natural flavor
jmakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #725
Anacardo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Anacardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: documents on fiiiile!
Posts: 20,543
Re: Does earning $65k per year mean you're poor?

I'm not sure what 'didsing' means in this context.
Anacardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive