Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #101
Tom Ames
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Posts: 22,634
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by de captain View Post
I'd probably do what 99.9% of businesses that sell alcohol do, which is to require anyone who you're not certain is of age to show ID. I don;t think I'd implement a program that rewards old looking 39 yr old customers with cash prizes though.
The owner isn't in the business of handing out $40 chunks due to the idiocy of his employees. He is almost certainly doing this to ensure that he finds out if an employee fails to check the ID of someone under 40. He is certainly not doing it for the benefit of his employee either.

Same line as my local Taco Bell offering $5 or a free meal (I forget which--and not sure if they still do this) if the cashier fails to give you a receipt.
Tom Ames is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #102
de captain
Pooh-Bah
 
de captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Been around
Posts: 3,708
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ames View Post
The owner isn't in the business of handing out $40 chunks due to the idiocy of his employees...
According to the posted sign, handing out $40 due to his employee's idiocy is exactly what was supposed to happen in LKJ's case.
de captain is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #103
Alobar
Born Ready
 
Alobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd turtle from the bottom
Posts: 40,994
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by de captain View Post
According to the posted sign, handing out $40 due to his employee's idiocy is exactly what was supposed to happen in LKJ's case.
" He is almost certainly doing this to ensure that he finds out if an employee fails to check the ID of someone under 40. "
Alobar is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #104
chopstick
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chopstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: where the weather suits my clothes
Posts: 8,429
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

finally figured out what el diablol left us for

chopstick is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #105
Alobar
Born Ready
 
Alobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd turtle from the bottom
Posts: 40,994
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

I actually heard from one of my old cellies the other day. Diablo is in the hole after splitting some punks wig who tried to take his cheeks.
Alobar is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #106
de captain
Pooh-Bah
 
de captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Been around
Posts: 3,708
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
" He is almost certainly doing this to ensure that he finds out if an employee fails to check the ID of someone under 40. "
You guys make some odd points. I'd be surprised if there was anyone reading this thread who doesn't understand why the owner put the sign up. Everyone gets it, it's not a particularly interesting part of the conversation.

The topic was brought up with regard to whether or not a customer would/ or should participate by taking the $40 and snitching on the cashier. The other interesting topic is the consequences for the cashier along with the legality of the possible consequences.

I think it's a dumb policy, and reward system, because it's far from the most effective method to ensure an employee doesn't sell to an underage customer. It's also a stupid because 40 is not an effective over under age. Differentiating between someone 39 vs 40 is considerably harder than differentiating whether someone is safely over 21 or whether they should be carded.

The owner is making the clerk's job harder by giving them enough rope to hang themselves with and making the distinction of who the clerk should card harder than it needs to be.

Simply requiring the clerk to card 100% of customers would be a simpler, more effective, way to run the business as opposed to expecting a clerk to decide if someone is >40 and putting a bounty on the clerks head.

Last edited by de captain; 10-04-2018 at 01:23 PM.
de captain is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #107
Johnny Truant
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Johnny Truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Going Catabolic!
Posts: 6,912
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by de captain View Post
You guys make some odd points. I'd be surprised if there was anyone reading this thread who doesn't understand why the owner put the sign up. Everyone gets it, it's not a particularly interesting part of the conversation.

The topic was brought up with regard to whether or not a customer would/ or should participate by taking the $40 and snitching on the cashier. The other interesting topic is the consequences for the cashier along with the legality of the possible consequences.

I think it's a dumb policy, and reward system, because it's far from the most effective method to ensure an employee doesn't sell to an underage customer. It's also a stupid because 40 is not an effective over under age. Differentiating between someone 39 vs 40 is considerably harder than differentiating whether someone is safely over 21 or whether they should be carded.

The owner is making the clerk's job harder by giving them enough rope to hang themselves with and making the distinction of who the clerk should card harder than it needs to be.

Simply requiring the clerk to card 100% of customers would be a simpler, more effective, way to run the business as opposed to expecting a clerk to decide if someone is >40 and putting a bounty on the clerks head.
100% id checking is more boneheaded than setting a line that will be very wide of the legal drinking age. I was unable to buy beer recently because of that zero tolerance policy which is ridic as I have been legal to buy beer for longer than not. How does carding my 93 YO grandma or even 70 yo dad make more sense than setting a stupidly, but not quite as stupid margin?

Also, why do you assume that the owner ALSO must enforce the rule in some dumb ass way? It is a painted cattle guard. It is a reminder to the staff to be careful and ask for ID in ANY case that could possibly be near the line so they don't lose their liquor license. Nobody knows what the consequences are to the cashier for ****ing up, but if the boss is going to fire them the first time some ****ty customer who is 39 angles for the $40, good riddance to that ****ing job. They likely don't do anything in that case but pay the $40 and instruct to estimate even wider to the clerk. What if it is a 23-year-old who calls them out who SHOULD have been carded? Maybe in that case the clerk gets a reprimand or warning. Maybe they get more training. Maybe they get taken off the register. Or maybe, if it happens frequently, they fire the person who can't be arsed to give a **** about protecting the business even with lots of instruction up to and including assinine policies to motivate compliance?

ETA: I once worked a job as a cashier at a lunch counter type restaurant that did the "get your receipt or your meal is free" thing because they were getting robbed like crazy. There was a bakery side that sold break for $3.00 a loaf and they did a few hundred loaves a day. There was at least one clerk who would just put the cash in his pocket. On my side, which was the lunch side, I could expect 3-4 people to try to bounce without their receipt every day. They would eye-ball the sign, look at me, get all squirely and start to walk off with their hand behind them like a ****ing relay racer waiting for the baton. One of the few pleasures I had in that job was pretending I was going to forget and watching their disappointment as I grabbed the receipt out of the printer a split second before they got their change. The dude who was stealing the bread cash got caught because of that policy.

Last edited by Johnny Truant; 10-04-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Johnny Truant is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #108
de captain
Pooh-Bah
 
de captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Been around
Posts: 3,708
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Truant View Post
...if the boss is going to fire them the first time some ****ty customer who is 39 angles for the $40, good riddance to that ****ing job..
So you're saying that had LKJ accepted the $40 he's an angling ****ty customer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Truant View Post
... It is a painted cattle guard. It is a reminder to the staff to be careful and ask for ID in ANY case that could possibly be near the line so they don't lose their liquor license...
Posting a sign directed at the customers, in plain view of the customers, isn't there for the customers but is actually there for the employee?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Truant View Post
100% id checking is more boneheaded than setting a line that will be very wide of the legal drinking age. I was unable to buy beer recently because of that zero tolerance policy which is ridic as I have been legal to buy beer for longer than not. How does carding my 93 YO grandma or even 70 yo dad make more sense than setting a stupidly, but not quite as stupid margin?
They're both boneheaded approaches. If you're going to take a boneheaded approach why not take the one that's easiest for the clerk, has 100% accuracy and doesn't open you up to angling, ****ty, 39 yr old customers?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Truant View Post
...Also, why do you assume that the owner ALSO must enforce the rule in some dumb ass way?
I didn't assume anything. The owner put the sign up and he is enforcing the rule in some dumb ass way.


ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Truant View Post
One of the few pleasures I had in that job was pretending I was going to forget and watching their disappointment as I grabbed the receipt out of the printer a split second before they got their change...
Do you think your behavior enhanced or detracted from the customer experience?

If you were the man would you be happy to learn that your policy led to this employee/customer interaction every time?

Last edited by de captain; 10-04-2018 at 02:07 PM.
de captain is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #109
Johnny Truant
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Johnny Truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Going Catabolic!
Posts: 6,912
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by de captain View Post
So you're saying that had LKJ accepted the $40 he's an angling ****ty customer?
In his case, he may have been just inconsiderate to the potential consequences to the cashier (he wasn't tho), but the fact that he didn't get his $40 even though he was entitled to it kinda makes my point. I wouldn't have. I'm talking about the people who see the sign and hope the cashier fails, like in my anecdote about working a ****ty job with ****ty, angling customers.
Quote:
Posting a sign directed at the customers, in plain view of the customers, isn't there for the customers but is actually there for the employee?
The fact that the customer can see it is to influence the employees. I may be missing your point. The purpose of the sign is not because they want to give out $40, it is because they don't want to.

Quote:
They're both boneheaded approaches. If you're going to take a boneheaded approach why not take the one that's easiest for the clerk, has 100% accuracy and doesn't open you up to angling, ****ty, 39 yr old customers?
The unintended consequence of 100%--bothering old fart customers and making your cashiers look stupid, vs bothering only gen x customers and making your cashiers look encumbered by dumb policies with the very rare occurrence of a 39-year-old achieving a goal on the net and following through to get the $40 are the difference here.

Quote:
I didn't assume anything. The owner put the sign-up and he is enforcing the rule in some dumb ass way.
We have no idea to what extent this rule is enforced or what that enforcement looks like. The policy and sign may preexist the current owner/manager for all we know.
Johnny Truant is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #110
de captain
Pooh-Bah
 
de captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Been around
Posts: 3,708
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Johny,

A customer who goes into a store, reads a sign posted by management, and abides by the terms of that sign is not a ****ty angling customer.

Fwiw in your anecdote you were a ****ty angling employee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Truant View Post
We have no idea to what extent this rule is enforced or what that enforcement looks like. The policy and sign may preexist the current owner/manager for all we know.
you can't possibly be serious.
de captain is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #111
Johnny Truant
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Johnny Truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Going Catabolic!
Posts: 6,912
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by de captain View Post
Johny,

A customer who goes into a store, reads a sign posted by management, and abides by the terms of that sign is not a ****ty angling customer.

Fwiw in your anecdote you were a ****ty angling employee.



you can't possibly be serious.
I already spent more energy than is sound inflating my GAF level about this topic for sport, but we are much further apart than I thought. That's cool, though. Agree to disagree.
Johnny Truant is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #112
Steve350
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 944
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Some advice for noone in particular: Quit while you're behind.
Steve350 is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #113
El Diablo
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 70,451
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Howard,

I don't believe you ever answered Alobar's question re: what the original no Politics posting bet terms were.
El Diablo is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #114
Johnny Truant
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Johnny Truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Going Catabolic!
Posts: 6,912
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Zoinks!
Johnny Truant is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #115
samuri8
old hand
 
samuri8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 1,817
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

samuri8 is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #116
Rexx14
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Rexx14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,560
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Make him pay El D! It's for your disciple Fabian.

Nice to see you btw.
Rexx14 is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #117
patron
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,899
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

patron is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #118
Tom Ames
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Posts: 22,634
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

ED's account has been hacked!!!

Call the e-constabulary at once!
Tom Ames is offline  
Old 10-05-2018, 01:27 AM   #119
Rapini
ragging
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 12,591
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Two things:

(1) Not sure I've ever been more amused than when my 61-yr-old Dad was refused entry into a bar because he didn't have ID; and
(2) Does Fabian actually exist? If so, we should get him to the US for a tour of real life.
Rapini is offline  
Old 10-05-2018, 04:37 AM   #120
lapka
 
lapka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Now... in a surprisingly good place
Posts: 7,318
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Hehe,

now I know the spell that brings ElD. Just name him as an arbiter in something.

ElD, good to see you.
lapka is offline  
Old 10-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #121
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 29,198
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Howard,

Would rep and I get along irl? My initial inclination is no. He seems like the guy on the phone who gave you **** type.
27offsuit is offline  
Old 10-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #122
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 29,198
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Our fearless leader is back, baby!

27offsuit is offline  
Old 10-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #123
Rexx14
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Rexx14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,560
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

So he's been away golfing all this time!
Rexx14 is offline  
Old 10-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #124
cs3
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
cs3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: the shallow end
Posts: 11,793
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Been craving a chili cheese dog so when the wife asked me if there's anything I need from the store I told her to get all the stuff to make them and I'd grill the dogs when I got home.

So Im home with everything ready and have loaded up my bun with a nice blackened dog, mustard, sauteed onions, and was just getting a heap of chili ladeled up when I notice what looks like a piece of corn floating around in the chili.

"What kind of chili is this?"
"Idk, regular chili"
"Regular chili?"
"Yep"
"This isn't veggie chili is it?" as I'm poking around looking for any sign of meat.
"No."
"Ok, so there's meat in it right?" still searching.
...
...
...
...
"Well its just chili ok!" like its my fault the chili looks weird.

So I look in the recycling bin and sure enough, 2 cans that say
GARDEN CHILI NO MEAT right on the damn label.
Are you kidding me?! Thats not ****ing chili! WTF

I was so distraught over the meatless "chili" debacle that I completely forgot to put the cheese on until halfway through my second bean and veggie mush cheeseless dog. Saddest goddamn thing I've ever seen on a bun.
cs3 is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #125
27offsuit
actions have consequences!
 
27offsuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet ass inya face
Posts: 29,198
Re: ***Do you remember...the 21st night of October LC Thread***

Good luck with your next wife cs3.
27offsuit is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online