Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015

12-28-2017 , 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty
The humor was really good and not even that much. Other than the over the top opener itís gotta be less than other SW films.
Sometimes I swear there must be a different version of this movie floating around that I didn't see.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-28-2017 , 10:41 PM
“I’ve seen your schedule....it’s not busy” is gold man.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 12:08 AM
My brother and I turned to each other and laughed when rose said her line about freeing the llamas.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 02:57 AM
My gf and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes at pretty much every "joke".
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkNasty
ďIíve seen your schedule....itís not busyĒ is gold man.
That line was fine. One of the reasons that's fine is that it works in-universe: it's completely plausible that Rey would say something like that. Compare and contrast with, well, I could pick about 100 examples here, but one got mentioned upthread: Luke tosses lightsaber away *slide whistle*. There, what in-universe would not be funny is basically having a laugh track added to it.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrazor
TLJ RT audience score down to 51%.

Hard to believe just how bad this movie has played out with viewers.

No wonder Disney are worried about Solo.
LOL this makes no sense. The longer it goes from opening night, the more people are liking it in my experience. And it sure as hell isn't 51%. It's more like 90% enjoying the movie.

Honestly, the only people I've seen criticizing it are on online forums and messages boards like this one.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 03:38 AM
I think the Luke throwing the lightsaber scene is the best example of how inappropriate the comedy is. Not because the scene didn't work comically - it did, a good chunk of the people in my theatre laughed at it. But think about what this moment means to the characters. Luke has tried to hide himself away from all this, we later see that he failed in training Kylo Ren, having brief thoughts of murdering him and as a result unleashing a Sith on the galaxy. The appearance of this upstart with his lightsaber would drag all that back up for him. For Rey, it's the culmination of a traumatic quest and she's meeting her hero. This is a serious moment for both characters. By playing it for laughs, the film is telling me that the emotional lives of the central characters are not to be taken seriously. The original trilogy has plenty of comic scenes, but it NEVER plays the character drama for laughs. All the adventures and lasers stuff is meant to be taken light-heartedly, but the human drama is supposed to be taken seriously. It's what gives the films their heart. Imagine how much it would wreck the entire film if they threw a joke into the middle of the "I am your father" scene in Empire.

The right way to play the scene would be with serious anger from Luke, like more anger than the audience can understand right away, given that they don't know what happened to him since ROTJ. Have him stare at the light saber for some time, then look up, eyes hardening, slam it into the ground and snarl something like "I don't know who you are, but you can get out of my sight". Rey would be upset, in shock. Chewie would come and comfort her. Gradually she would have to mend ties with Luke. Instead the scene was played for a cheap laugh and the natural character drama just unceremoniously tossed aside.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrazor
My gf and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes at pretty much every "joke".
A lot of the jokes were hilarious. Those Porgs looked delicious for example. Maybe you and your gf should lighten up and realize it's a movie?
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Lice
LOL this makes no sense. The longer it goes from opening night, the more people are liking it in my experience. And it sure as hell isn't 51%. It's more like 90% enjoying the movie.

Honestly, the only people I've seen criticizing it are on online forums and messages boards like this one.
Reactions of everyone I know who has seen it irl has ranged from meh through to hating it. All of the same people liked TFA.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Lice
LOL this makes no sense. The longer it goes from opening night, the more people are liking it in my experience. And it sure as hell isn't 51%. It's more like 90% enjoying the movie.

Honestly, the only people I've seen criticizing it are on online forums and messages boards like this one.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
The right way to play the scene would be with serious anger from Luke, like more anger than the audience can understand right away, given that they don't know what happened to him since ROTJ. Have him stare at the light saber for some time, then look up, eyes hardening, slam it into the ground and snarl something like "I don't know who you are, but you can get out of my sight". Rey would be upset, in shock. Chewie would come and comfort her. Gradually she would have to mend ties with Luke. Instead the scene was played for a cheap laugh and the natural character drama just unceremoniously tossed aside.
Anger is a horrible way for Luke to react. An angry Luke Skywalker would be a Luke Skywalker on the path to the Dark Side or already there. Luke had a moment of weakness where he gave in to fear. So he removed himself from everything that could tempt him to feel fear or anger or anything else that might lead to the Dark Side. He is still a Jedi at heart, so it would be out of character for him to express anger as you suggest.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
I think the Luke throwing the lightsaber scene is the best example of how inappropriate the comedy is. Not because the scene didn't work comically - it did, a good chunk of the people in my theatre laughed at it. But think about what this moment means to the characters. Luke has tried to hide himself away from all this, we later see that he failed in training Kylo Ren, having brief thoughts of murdering him and as a result unleashing a Sith on the galaxy. The appearance of this upstart with his lightsaber would drag all that back up for him. For Rey, it's the culmination of a traumatic quest and she's meeting her hero. This is a serious moment for both characters. By playing it for laughs, the film is telling me that the emotional lives of the central characters are not to be taken seriously. The original trilogy has plenty of comic scenes, but it NEVER plays the character drama for laughs. All the adventures and lasers stuff is meant to be taken light-heartedly, but the human drama is supposed to be taken seriously. It's what gives the films their heart. Imagine how much it would wreck the entire film if they threw a joke into the middle of the "I am your father" scene in Empire.

The right way to play the scene would be with serious anger from Luke, like more anger than the audience can understand right away, given that they don't know what happened to him since ROTJ. Have him stare at the light saber for some time, then look up, eyes hardening, slam it into the ground and snarl something like "I don't know who you are, but you can get out of my sight". Rey would be upset, in shock. Chewie would come and comfort her. Gradually she would have to mend ties with Luke. Instead the scene was played for a cheap laugh and the natural character drama just unceremoniously tossed aside.
I know.

Or like, when Han is going to be frozen in carbonite.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOut
I know.

Or like, when Han is going to be frozen in carbonite.
That comparison is **** and you know it. It's not like he said the line, looked at the camera and winked, and we heard a record scratch or something. It was a slightly sarcastic line played straight.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 01:48 PM
And to be fair, I don't think the lightsaber toss or his dusting off his shoulder after the laser barrage to be particularly distracting or scene-ruining as things go. My big problems with the "humor" in this movie are the out and out visual gags like slot machine BB-8 and porg smooshed against the Falcon cockpit window, that kind of thing.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 02:09 PM
God this movie just isn’t that serious. That stuff was funny.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 03:15 PM
He should have chucked it into the water and Rey would have to force find it, instead they went for cheap laughs that set the tone for the viewers to expect lame cheap laughs the rest of the movie. Nothing particularly terrible about any of the jokes but like a poster pointed out earlier they add up to a point of no return for the viewer's experience.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Reactions of everyone I know who has seen it irl has ranged from meh through to hating it. All of the same people liked TFA.
makes sense, they have ****ty movie taste
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmakin
makes sense, they have ****ty movie taste
And you must have an amazing tolerance for schlock. If they combined Citizen Kane and Caddyshack II into one movie would it be great because of the high points?
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWf
Yeah this is obviously a very nerd take but the Thrawn books built a believably galaxy-wide conflict between the young and struggling New Republic and the scattered Imperial loyalists. It's not impossible. There's a reason there's a whole EU for Star Wars but not other settings, and it's because it's such a blank slate.
This is exactly one of the reasons the visionless garbage they have put out lately is so bad. There are literally a million good directions they could take the series. Instead they have decided on a mediocre remake mixed with elements from Spaceballs. It's lazy at best and downright insane when you really think about it. Like you said reading the books (I only read a few maybe 20 years ago or so) the story lines and characters were believable and compelling.

They decided to play it "safe" which so code for boring and uninspired.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-29-2017 , 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOut
I know.

Or like, when Han is going to be frozen in carbonite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan42
That comparison is **** and you know it. It's not like he said the line, looked at the camera and winked, and we heard a record scratch or something. It was a slightly sarcastic line played straight.
I have absolutely no idea what line is under discussion here. I looked up the script and I still have no clue. You're not referring to "I know", surely? You would have to be an extraterrestrial to interpret that as comical. I guess you are because your post started with that line.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-30-2017 , 10:05 PM
Finally saw Ep8 so can catch up on this thread...didnít hate it and definitely enjoyed it more than many itt seemed to. I will say that when itís on cable in 10 years and I flip onto it, Iíll likely keep going.

I would LOVE it if Ep9 in no way contains anything to do with ďwe need to sneak in to Imperial/FO X to do YĒ. How many more variations can there be on this theme?
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-30-2017 , 10:15 PM
Just watched it for the second time. I thought it was much better second time through. I think it was a lot of subtle stuff and knowing what to expect. It doesn't feel as much like a Star Wars movie but oh well. Leah space floating and side trip to find code breaker were garbage. Code breaker felt like it was written to be an excuse to give Holdo a good death scene. Wish they had killed Leah and Finn. I assume Phasma is dead for sure, Snoke probably is as well.

This movie doesn't feel like it goes with this trilogy all that well.

Curious how much of a time jump happens between 8 and 9. Seems like there could be a big one.

That or the new trilogy will be based on the out rim allies and what they were doing till now
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-31-2017 , 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntanygd760
Curious how much of a time jump happens between 8 and 9. Seems like there could be a big one.
It feels like there has to be, but it feels weird to have a trilogy where part 1 and 2 happen back-to-back and part 3 some time in the future.

It smacks of a lack of any kind of overarching script going into the trilogy, which is exactly how Ep.8 felt anyway I guess.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
12-31-2017 , 01:04 PM
Snoke wasn't weak at all. He was very powerful. Kylo got one little very risky opportunity to surprise snoke, kill him, and seize power, and he took it.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote
01-01-2018 , 11:41 AM
I did love how Kylo was focusing on turning his light saber very slowly while Snoke was saying he knew exactly what he was thinking no realizing he was moving both. Snoke never even considered Kylo was deep enough to pull that off. Probably favorite subtle thing in the movie.
Disney buying LucasFilm, Releasing Star Wars episode 7 in 2015 Quote

      
m