Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #126
Hume
old hand
 
Hume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,537
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackUp View Post
Also, please note that I said "men."
What's the difference between men and "men"?
Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #127
LocustHorde
adept
 
LocustHorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 3rd and long
Posts: 1,170
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1337nes View Post
Kid doesnt even seem like he wants to do mma, his dad just makes him.
No doubt, this kid will probably be the Todd Marinivich of MMA
LocustHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #128
Rootabager
banned
 
Rootabager's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 4,180
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyOcean_ View Post
You are delusional?

Huh?

How is a 5 year old girl the same as an elite 14 year old boy? You are just making absurd comparisons at this point. jeez. if you have an argument go ahead and make it, but if you are ******ed just shut the hell up. There's no way to compare the strengh between those two.
a pre puberty 100 pound 14 year old boy wont have the strength to do any submissions just like a black belt 5 year old couldnt. Especially no gi where he couldnt even collar choke you.

Jiu jitsu is not magic. This is still a tiny little kid.

There is some bad ass 15 year old state champ wrestler at 103 pounds where I train. I have no wrestling experience and weigh 185 and this kid couldnt come close to taking me down.

kids are kids.
Rootabager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #129
SackUp
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Undefeated as a Lawyer!
Posts: 7,164
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Foreign Guy View Post
> If we did just straight wrestling then I would burying the hell out of this kid.

OK and if we made it a snowboarding race instead I'd kick his ass, so ****ing what?

In an MMA match I think this kid kicks my ass. I'm 6'2" 260lbs with a couple years of boxing three times a week. Unless he walks into my fists and I get a KO he's going to take me down and I don't know **** about ground work.
This is the same point I made. Use some context. I quoted the other dude who said he got whooped up by tons of people half his size in pure BJJ. I said that is way different than MMA and used the example of pure wrestling, which is akin to your snowboarding example.
SackUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #130
DannyOcean_
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DannyOcean_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Bellagio vault
Posts: 28,341
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootabager View Post
a pre puberty 100 pound 14 year old boy wont have the strength to do any submissions just like a black belt 5 year old couldnt. Especially no gi where he couldnt even collar choke you.

Jiu jitsu is not magic. This is still a tiny little kid.

There is some bad ass 15 year old state champ wrestler at 103 pounds where I train. I have no wrestling experience and weigh 185 and this kid couldnt come close to taking me down.

kids are kids.
Ok, you chose the ****** route.

Point one - the kid weighs 130 pounds, as has been stated REPEATEDLY ALL OVER THIS THREAD. You decide to magically deduct 30 pounds of weight to make your point. Good job sherlock.

Comparing a 5 year old to a 14 year is still just as ridiculous, and you still look like an idiot for doing it.

Jiu-jitsu is not magic. Neither is your size. Kid could RNC you easily, could armbar you, etc. Strength matters, but if you are just a complete moron if you think you can arm-curl your way out of an armbar or squeeze out of a RNC. Also, cardiowise this kid smokes most people. If you don't know how to box, you aren't going to hit him hard enough to drop him, and you probably aren't going to hit him at all. He's not afraid of some ******-bullrush-grab-and-punch tactic.

Also, I'd take this 130 pounder any day of the week over an untrained 185 pound 25 year old in boxing, wrestling, BJJ or MMA.
DannyOcean_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #131
LuckayLuck
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LuckayLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 36,621
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

I'm humble enough to say that I have a zero percent chance of winning and I would likely submit within ten seconds.
LuckayLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #132
ggbman
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: trying to emerge from limbo
Posts: 5,894
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

14 Year olds aren't always pre-pubescent midgets... Obviously he's small at 130 but the guy trains a ton, he's gonna be very strong for his size and he will be better in pretty much every aspect of the fight than the people who think they could mop him up. If he punches better, kicks better, has more submission moves, better technique, and better stamina, you guys simply aren't going to crush him because you have 80 pounds on him and used to be in shape. I think a lot of people here are vastly underestimating the stamina it takes just to go three rounds at a competetive level in a fight. This kid can just play small ball and tire you out and then go for the kill, it's not like he would start the fight going toe to toe trading blows with someone who has 80 pounds on him. Obviously pure strength would be enough to beat him sometimes if the right circumstances fall into place, but no one who isn't a trained fighter is a favorite to last 3 rounds here barring absolute freaks of nature physically. LOL at anyone who does manual labor for a living be able to handle this guy because they are stronger, it won't matter when they can't land a single clean shot and catch a few kicks to the face.
ggbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #133
Golden_Rhino
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Golden_Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bester Forever
Posts: 9,056
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hume View Post
What's the difference between men and "men"?
man


"man"
Golden_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #134
selurah
veteran
 
selurah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 2,575
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

I have a feeling that most (if not all) of you old, fat asses are delusional about your fighting abilities and how tough you are.
selurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #135
Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: pm karak w/ ffb questions
Posts: 54,252
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

I'd to see all these internet tough guys just try to shadow box for three minutes. My guess is 95% of them wouldn't be able to do it or would be completely wiped out. That's with no one punching them, it only gets worse from there.
Dudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #136
Rootabager
banned
 
Rootabager's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 4,180
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbman View Post
14 Year olds aren't always pre-pubescent midgets... Obviously he's small at 130 but the guy trains a ton, he's gonna be very strong for his size and he will be better in pretty much every aspect of the fight than the people who think they could mop him up. If he punches better, kicks better, has more submission moves, better technique, and better stamina, you guys simply aren't going to crush him because you have 80 pounds on him and used to be in shape. I think a lot of people here are vastly underestimating the stamina it takes just to go three rounds at a competetive level in a fight. This kid can just play small ball and tire you out and then go for the kill, it's not like he would start the fight going toe to toe trading blows with someone who has 80 pounds on him. Obviously pure strength would be enough to beat him sometimes if the right circumstances fall into place, but no one who isn't a trained fighter is a favorite to last 3 rounds here barring absolute freaks of nature physically. LOL at anyone who does manual labor for a living be able to handle this guy because they are stronger, it won't matter when they can't land a single clean shot and catch a few kicks to the face.
hard to get strong if you havent been through puberty when your that young. he's pretty small you can see a picture of him.
Rootabager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #137
ggbman
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: trying to emerge from limbo
Posts: 5,894
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Yah i can see from the picture that he is still pretty small, but you guys are really overstating how much of an advantage this gives. There are a bunch of people here saying they could whoop his ass b/c he's weak, but these guys also obviously haven't been in competitive fighting situations against trained professionals and don't realize they will be insanley winded after round 1. Every sport has it's own kind of conditioning, including fighting. Someone who is a trained fighter and has fought over 500 bouts in his career has such an edge in regards to experience and skill/technique, and people are overlooking this a lot b/c of their egos. The thing is, he will be able to evade people and land calculated counter-attacks. He can wear ppl. out because he is trained fighter, and everyone talking **** in this thread has a day job and thinks they are tough ****. It's gonna be ****ing hard to get off a clean shot, you have almost no chance to get him in a legit submission, and you don't know how to counter **** he is going to throw at you. It's probably pointless to debate this b/c some people aren't man enough to admit that they would probably get crushed by a 14 year old, but MMA fighting is some crazy **** and casually boxing 5 years ago and being bigger does not give people a legit chance to make it three rounds with this kid.
ggbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #138
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,569
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Rhino View Post
man


"man"
Seems like it should be the other way around.
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #139
ThaSaltCracka
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ThaSaltCracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seatown
Posts: 66,878
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

I don't think I could survive three rounds with this kid, unless you gave me six months of training to prepare. In fact, I would wager that a lot of full grown men could beat this kid if they were in shape and had enough training, maybe 6 months. The size and strength difference is too great.

However, I know that right now, this kid would pwn me.
ThaSaltCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #140
qdmcg
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,870
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

one interesting point that i don't think anyone has mentioned is that some of you guys are being egotistical and drastically overestimating your edge versus this 14 year old
qdmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #141
Mad1337nes
old hand
 
Mad1337nes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,741
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdmcg View Post
one interesting point that i don't think anyone has mentioned is that some of you guys are being egotistical and drastically overestimating your edge versus this 14 year old
Either that or some of us *shudders* go outside once in a while.

Its a 130 pound 14 year old that cries when he sees his own blood. Its not Fedor.

After being jumped by 3 dudes, and holding your own... a 14 year old (no mater the skill level) shouldn't even show up on the radar.



We should start a pole to see how many 2+2ers are afraid of their own shadow. I mean, at the right angle... its bigger then me bro.
Mad1337nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 AM   #142
willie
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,456
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selurah View Post
I have a feeling that most (if not all) of you old, fat asses are delusional about your fighting abilities and how tough you are.
qft

i'm honest with myself. i'd get completely embarrassed by this kid. It would be so bad getting just smashed by a 14 year old but that IS what would happen

(same for 90% of the posters in this thread, i don't care how big your internet muscles are)
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #143
mrh86
Pooh-Bah
 
mrh86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,838
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
qft

i'm honest with myself. i'd get completely embarrassed by this kid. It would be so bad getting just smashed by a 14 year old but that IS what would happen

(same for 90% of the posters in this thread, i don't care how big your internet muscles are)
I have boxing and kickboxing trophies and I know how to fight and I'm pretty sure this kid would whoop my ass.
mrh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #144
qdmcg
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,870
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

i bench 600 lbs and im not sure i could take this kid
qdmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #145
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

drake is a sicko but i think i'd have a decent shot. i've got 60 lbs on him and have around two years of bjj/mt/mma training. but his wrestling is very good and if he got me down i'm probably ****ed (blue belt in bjj, but drake has unreal jits).

well, right now he'd kill me because i'm in terrible shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzle12345 View Post
ofcourse you can, jesus this guy isnt supernatural or something

if you ever watch k1, heres an example that size DOES matter ALOT his technique is pretty bad, he obv has good stamina, but he ****s people up because hes bigger then everyone, except that japanese giant. all he does is jab, and most cant hit him:
um schilt is boring but he's really damn good.

a better k-1 example would be be 220 lbs. cro cop breaking 350 lbs. bob sapp's face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiper View Post
i'm 6'2", 215, and pretty solid (my g/f is a personal trainer)...never trained mma, been in 15ish fights in my life, however, i understand mma, and am actually looking forward to someone doing something that i know i can get away with putting him down with elbows and knees...

i just see no way this kid at 120 or whatever he is overpowers me. if my motivation is high, i would probably kill him in less than a minute.

again, i know i'm drunk right now, but 8 hours ago, in an enclosed area, this is ground and pound knockout 90% of the time...

but then, i also don't believe the general population of 2+2 has much of a chance against this kid, either..
lol at "understanding mma" meaning anything here.

i watch baseball but the best babe ruth pitcher in the world would k me no problem.

edit: cro cop/sapp for fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOx9vRVVRQI

probably a better example than sudo/butterbean because sapp isn't a fatass and played in the nfl. also i think size discrepancy is a bigger disadvantage in pure striking than it is in mma, especially when you're dealing with an excellent grappler vs an untrained person.

sapp goes down because his orbital bone is broken.

Last edited by Phildo; 07-21-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #146
Gugel
veteran
 
Gugel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,906
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

It would be something like this...
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/fe...hoi/2500059798

Relative size difference is similar, but they are both well trained fighters. The champion, the "small" dude, is fighting the giant.
Gugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #147
VladKGB
adept
 
VladKGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: $50->$10k challenge
Posts: 799
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanfan34 View Post
This article made me ask the question. Three 5 minute rounds, would a 14 year old get you to submit? Assume standard MMA rules. Or, UFC rules.

The question is, just how strong is a 14 year old? Seems like they would be pretty easy to push around, but I'm not sure when you factor in the MMA training.

Probably a separate thread to discuss this kid's dad - what kind of person takes a 7th grader out of school to concentrate on this??
As a Gracie Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt, i can tell you in jiu jitsu strength, size, weight does not matter. Sure u can push the kid on the ground but once he gets u in his guard if his jits is excellent he can sub ur ass. Jits is about using leverage and your opponent's weight against him.

i think its a terrible idea to take a kid outta school to train MMA, because school allows for alot of time anyways, and hes putting the kid's entire life on MMA. Not many people make it, plus the variance is high, he could get injured or something and not be able to compete, -EV imo. MMA is great for kids though & anyone.
VladKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #148
Phildo
doesn't watch the games
 
Phildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: champagne room
Posts: 22,773
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

and as a brazilian jiu jitsu blue belt i can tell you that size, strength and weight matter a whole lot. if there is a large skill differential (like the one that exists between drake and practically everyone in this thread) they can be nullified but if you took two guys in the same shape with the same exact skill level but one was much stronger and outweighed the other guy by 50 lbs, the bigger guy wins every time.

being one of the bigger guys at my school (6'2", was 210 then although down to 185-190 now) i spent a lot of time rolling with a 310 lbs power lifter who was around the same skill level as me. in hours and hours of rolling time with the guy, i managed to tap him once (ezekiel choke, my fave in the gi), and that was only because he decided to work on his guard (which he rarely had to bother with; being gigantic and ridiculously strong as well as a fair wrestler he usually ended up on top if he wanted) and my top game was far more advanced than his guard game.
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #149
DannyOcean_
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DannyOcean_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Bellagio vault
Posts: 28,341
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

As a BJJ no-belt (we do only no-gi but I have been told I am somewhat like a "no-gi bluebelt") i can tell you that size and strength matter a ton. But against someone untrained in BJJ, you can overcome that. As I said numerous times above, the best chance to beat this kid is a guy who's much bigger and stronger and has at least 6 months of BJJ. Maybe high-level wrestling as a substitute. using that you could maybe GnP him from the top or at least hang on and stall and survive from the bottom. without any training however, people won't even be able to stop him from passing guard for more than 10 seconds and will get dominated.
DannyOcean_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #150
solids
Pooh-Bah
 
solids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Technically Jersey trash
Posts: 3,853
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

If I were able to keep the entire fight standing up, I would beat the **** out of this kid.
solids is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive