Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
nolanfan34
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nolanfan34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Man to man defense
Posts: 8,535
Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

This article made me ask the question. Three 5 minute rounds, would a 14 year old get you to submit? Assume standard MMA rules. Or, UFC rules.

The question is, just how strong is a 14 year old? Seems like they would be pretty easy to push around, but I'm not sure when you factor in the MMA training.

Probably a separate thread to discuss this kid's dad - what kind of person takes a 7th grader out of school to concentrate on this??
nolanfan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
grando
witty comic
 
grando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: it is I, grover!
Posts: 10,680
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

my answer is obv no

he'd kill me
grando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Shadowrun
veteran
 
Shadowrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Picking up drinking.
Posts: 3,220
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

hmm of course I have to think that I could. But in reality how can you be sure? I mean are you talking about the kid specifically or any 14yr old in mma.

If a 14yr old joins a mma gym for a day, yes I can go 3 rounds.

I dont really think that MMA for this kid would be that worse (if any) then football or any other contact sport.

Last edited by Shadowrun; 07-18-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: didnt realize he was taken out of school, but i guess that is standard for some sports????
Shadowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
nolanfan34
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nolanfan34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Man to man defense
Posts: 8,535
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrun View Post
hmm of course I have to think that I could. But in reality how can you be sure? I mean are you talking about the kid specifically or any 14yr old in mma.
Referring to this kid specifically. I think obviously against a random 14 year old it would be easily doable.
nolanfan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
DannyOcean_
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DannyOcean_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Bellagio vault
Posts: 28,341
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

This kid would kill anybody who is untrained unless they were like a colleigiate wrestler.

He's a BJJ prodigy and freak. Scary good for somebody that young, has been semi-famous around MMA circles for a while. His wrestling is also superb as is his striking. But mostly, if it ever went to the ground he'd submit anyone here who hasn't trained in BJJ quite easily.
DannyOcean_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
LFS
emo gaylord
 
LFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Doing the deal
Posts: 21,862
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Do we know how much he weighs? If he's like 120 pounds there's really only so much power he can have.
LFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Shadowrun
veteran
 
Shadowrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Picking up drinking.
Posts: 3,220
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanfan34 View Post
Referring to this kid specifically. I think obviously against a random 14 year old it would be easily doable.
This kid, no I couldnt. However, when does someone officially get the "MMA Fighter" label. 6 months training, 1 yr, first amateur fight etc.
Shadowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
findingneema
Pooh-Bah
 
findingneema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LOL Math...
Posts: 5,759
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

5'7", 130, I think the article says. In my case, I'd have to think a serious reach, weight and strength advantage would mean something, but I'm definitely not a trained fighter. 50/50?
findingneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
LFS
emo gaylord
 
LFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Doing the deal
Posts: 21,862
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

I don't know anything about MMA, I forgot that all he'd have to do is get me on the ground and I'd be toast. So I'm going to say I'd have a 10% chance. If it was just boxing I'd be fine.
LFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
oddjob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
oddjob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: A bit OffTopic
Posts: 7,860
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

i'm thinking if you got at least 50lbs, you'd be hard to take down
oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,569
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

I'm 6'1", 240, 39 yrs. old. I work out and have done this boot camp thing for a year, so I'm kinda solid with ok stamina for someone my age and size (just saying I'm not a marshmallow who gets winded going up the stairs). I really have a hard time thinking I couldn't get the best of this kid just by throwing my weight around.

I got in a few fights when I was in school where the kid was probably a mush better fighter, but I just managed to get a hold of him and basically sit on his chest. I don't think it would be easy. Maybe like wrestling a medium sized gator or something, just w/o the teeth and claws, and smarter. But still doable if I don't lose focus.

Do I get to train a little? It would be nice to know if there's some kind of painful submission hold, which still works vs. someone twice your size, that I should defend against.

Last edited by suzzer99; 07-18-2008 at 06:35 PM.
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
BuckyK
adept
 
BuckyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,167
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Feliz Slim View Post
Do we know how much he weighs? If he's like 120 pounds there's really only so much power he can have.
Strength has very little to do with being submitted by a skilled BJJ practitioner.
BuckyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
oddjob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
oddjob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: A bit OffTopic
Posts: 7,860
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

is it stupid to think that most full size adults should be able to knock the kid out?
oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
bobboufl11
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bobboufl11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,314
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

I'm like double his weight and a former HS wrestler...No way I'd last 15 minutes though. Maybe I get lucky and stick him in the first round when he tries to take me down and can't because I'm so massive and have at least a clue what to do. If I can't get him in round one I'd probably wind up giving up if I get taken down after that. Weight is a pretty big advantage in MMA though not even close to everything
bobboufl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,569
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
is it stupid to think that most full size adults should be able to knock the kid out?
Landing a punch could be pretty tough. My tactic would just be to try to get a hold of the kid and land on top of him with all my weight. Although admittedly I have no idea how effective counter measures are from someone incredibly skilled but half my weight.

Also I don't care how much this kid trains, a 14-year old body is not going to be as strong, fast or solid as say a 24-year old of the same dimensions. Under natural conditions anyway. Plus you could probably think of a lot of ways to **** with his head. Get some cute 16-year old to distract him. Tell him his parents are getting a divorce. Tell him his small penis is showing. etc. etc.
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
MikeyPatriot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MikeyPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sack Mike Goldberg
Posts: 11,891
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
i'm thinking if you got at least 50lbs, you'd be hard to take down
If you didn't have some sort of related training (wrestling, judo, etc.), I think this kid would get you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
is it stupid to think that most full size adults should be able to knock the kid out?
Yeah, again, assuming they're untrained.
MikeyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
CharlieDontSurf
Blessed by Pope
 
CharlieDontSurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14,811
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
I'm 6'1", 240, 39 yrs. old. I work out and have done this boot camp thing for a year, so I'm kinda solid with ok stamina for someone my age and size (just saying I'm not a marshmallow who gets winded going up the stairs). I really have a hard time thinking I couldn't get the best of this kid just by throwing my weight around.

I got in a few fights when I was in school, where the kid was probably a mush better fighter, but I just managed to get a hold of him and basically sit on his chest. I don't think it would be easy. Maybe like wrestling a medium sized gator or something, just w/o the teeth and claws, and smarter. But still doable if I don't lose focus.

Do I get to train a little? It would be nice to know if there's some kind of painful submission hold, which still works vs. someone twice your size, that I should defend against.
He'd break your arm or leg quite quickly.
CharlieDontSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #18
deesnuts
veteran
 
deesnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maltese
Posts: 2,958
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

It says he weight 130lbs. First thing i looked for. So yes I reckon I can take him. But who knows, I've known some seemingly skinny inconspicuous guys with proper technique who can punch very hard and could kick my butt.
deesnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,569
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDontSurf View Post
He'd break your arm or leg quite quickly.
You guys always say this ****. Do we have one real-world example to back it up?

I'm not saying he couldn't. I'm saying I don't know, but my instincts say I'd have a good chance to take him. Yet I know there are going to be a certain % of MMA fans coming in here falling all over themselves to come up with more and more drastic depictions of what this kid is going to do to me.

I'd just like to see some anecdotal evidence of a skilled fighter vs. someone non-skilled but in-shape who weights 100+ more lbs. in an MMA-style fight or street fight in close quarters.

If we're talking actual reality, I think one of the biggest hurdles might be psychological. He knows how to fight, is prepared for it. I'd have a tough time getting motivated to kick a 14-year-olds ass, and hence would probably kind of tentative, which is death I know. But I'm not sure if we're assuming both fighters are sufficiently motivated here. I guess we could say winner gets $1mil, loser has to live in North Korea for a year. So there's positive and negative motivation on both sides.

Last edited by suzzer99; 07-18-2008 at 06:51 PM.
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
SoloAJ
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SoloAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 16,324
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

I feel like I"d be able to kick the average sized 14 year old in the face and he'd drop like a log. I don't know about the average sized 14 year old who is a ninja though.
SoloAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
CharlieDontSurf
Blessed by Pope
 
CharlieDontSurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14,811
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Well a friend of my brother I guess is aspiring MMA or something...haven't really gotten the 411 but I guess he may have done some actual MMA fights or used to wrestle or something. He was at a BBQ with us and there was this huge black dude that was friends with the guy throwing the BBQ. My brother's friend was a little drunk and they were doing some fake fighting/wrestling etc -nothing to rough- on the grass. This black dude was like 6'6 - 6'7 and looked pretty fit for his size...think he played college or jr college football as a tackle but messed up his achilles...blah blah blah --was more focused on girls so didn't listen in to much.

But this guy has a drink and decides to trash talk my brothers friend a bit - just in good fun...and then they ended up having a quasi wrestling match in which the guy wanted to see if he could actually stay on his feet for more than 5 minutes. He could only throw open fisted punches..no elbows etc and my brothers friend couldn't punch him at all.

Dude was off his feet in like less than a minute and was squealing like a girl after my brothers friend but his leg in some kind of hold thingie. I figure my bro's buddy is like 5'10 or 11 and weighs maybe 200. this dude was easily pushing 280+

So i figure even a young 14 year old could manage to get ahold of one of your lower body and pull you off your feet and either work in some kind of choke/hold etc.
The only question is how tough is he if your landing partial blows to his head/body while being brought down etc.
CharlieDontSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #22
MikeyPatriot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MikeyPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sack Mike Goldberg
Posts: 11,891
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
You guys always say this ****. Do we have one real-world example to back it up?

I'm not saying he couldn't. I'm saying I don't know, but my instincts say I'd have a good chance to take him. Yet I know there are going to be a certain % of MMA fans coming in here falling all over themselves to come up with more and more drastic depictions of what this kid is going to do to me.

I'd just like to see some anecdotal evidence of a skilled fighter vs. someone non-skilled but in-shape who weights 100+ more lbs. in an MMA-style fight or street fight in close quarters.

If we're talking actual reality, I think one of the biggest hurdles might be psychological. He knows how to fight, is prepared for it. I'd have a tough time getting motivated to kick a 14-year-olds ass, and hence would probably kind of tentative, which is death I know. But I'm not sure if we're assuming both fighters are sufficiently motivated here. I guess we could say winner gets $1mil, loser has to live in North Korea for a year. So there's positive and negative motivation on both sides.
This always gets posted in these sorts of threads, but here's ~150 lbs Arturo Gatti boxing 200 lbs+ joes.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/art...weight-712724/

It's not perfect because it's just boxing, but technique = power. And if you have no technique it's hard to land anything to begin with.

And taking down this kid is the dumbest thing you could do. You will not be able to hold him down, and he will almost assuredly submit you if you stay there.

Also do you have one real world example of a big untrained dude beating a much smaller fighter? No? Weird, I wonder why.
MikeyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,569
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

5'10, 5'11/200 is what, 30 lbs from Mike Tyson's size? That dude weighed 40% more. I'd be 80% more than this kid.

That said, I am starting to visualize him getting me down and in some painful hold. Like some kind of ape clamped around my neck.
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
MikeyPatriot
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MikeyPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sack Mike Goldberg
Posts: 11,891
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
5'10, 5'11/200 is what, 30 lbs from Mike Tyson's size? That dude weighed 40% more. I'd be 80% more than this kid.

That said, I am starting to visualize him getting me down and in some painful hold. Like some kind of ape clamped around my neck.
I'm ******ed. Japan has a ton of freakshows. For instance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e2SqIkt0E7o
MikeyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #25
suzzer99
Save the Cheerleader, Save the World
 
suzzer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: givin' 'em the business
Posts: 98,569
Re: Could you go 3 rounds with a 14yo MMA fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyPatriot View Post
This always gets posted in these sorts of threads, but here's ~150 lbs Arturo Gatti boxing 200 lbs+ joes.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/art...weight-712724/

It's not perfect because it's just boxing, but technique = power. And if you have no technique it's hard to land anything to begin with.

And taking down this kid is the dumbest thing you could do. You will not be able to hold him down, and he will almost assuredly submit you if you stay there.
Again, you're talking 25% or so weight difference, not 80% + height and reach advantage + adult vs. 14 year-old. And I'd be much more tentative to just box someone.

I admit there are a lot of ways he could beat me. But let's say keep pushing forward, trying to keep my hands and feet out of harms way. He's going to have to dodge my full weight every now and then. If I guess right on one of his dodges, and come down on him with 240 lbs. + momentum with my knee in his chest, he's probably going to have a hard time wriggling out of that, no?

Quote:
Also do you have one real world example of a big untrained dude beating a much smaller fighter? No? Weird, I wonder why.
If it's on anyone, the burden of proof is on the people like you who are 100% sure they're right. I'm not 100% sure I could take this kid. I'm just saying I don't buy that I have zero chance.
suzzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive