Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer

08-14-2011 , 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogy
is the palestinian chicken episode of curb the greatest single comedy episode ever, and if not , what is
It's on my DVR and will get back to you. It has been much hyped though so I hope it lives up.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-14-2011 , 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsoyars
It's on my DVR and will get back to you. It has been much hyped though so I hope it lives up.
oooooh keeping me in suspense. how bout this - off the top of your head B4 you watch that curb, what do you recall being awesome single comedy eps?
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-14-2011 , 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopz
Are all scripts formatted the same way?

How does one pitch a script?
1. No.
2. Not sure what you mean. Can you be more specific? There are lots of different kinds of pitches and different ways to do it.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-22-2011 , 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogy
oooooh keeping me in suspense. how bout this - off the top of your head B4 you watch that curb, what do you recall being awesome single comedy eps?
Sry, got a little busy and forgot about this. Tough question but off the top of my head some of my favorites are Seinfeld - The Contest, Curb - Corpse Sniffing Dog, The Doll, Simpsons - Hank Scorpio, 30 Rock - Rosemary's Baby, Community - Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design, pretty much any episode from season 1 of Eastbound and Down, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - The Creeping Moss from the Shores of Shuggoth.

Anyone who hasn't seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace should watch it immediately. Six episodes total. They are probably on youtube.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-22-2011 , 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsoyars
Sry, got a little busy and forgot about this. Tough question but off the top of my head some of my favorites are Seinfeld - The Contest, Curb - Corpse Sniffing Dog, The Doll, Simpsons - Hank Scorpio, 30 Rock - Rosemary's Baby, Community - Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design, pretty much any episode from season 1 of Eastbound and Down, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - The Creeping Moss from the Shores of Shuggoth.

Anyone who hasn't seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace should watch it immediately. Six episodes total. They are probably on youtube.
just watched this last week, loved everything about it.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-22-2011 , 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsoyars
1. No.
2. Not sure what you mean. Can you be more specific? There are lots of different kinds of pitches and different ways to do it.
For pitching...some of the ways I've of are ambushing someone at a restaurant, a film festival or some other public place. I've also heard of setting up formal pitch meetings. Lastly, I've heard of simply mailing a script to someone.

Of the shows/movies that you know of, how did the script ultimately get from the writer (freelancer or otherwise) to the descision maker?
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-22-2011 , 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopz
For pitching...some of the ways I've of are ambushing someone at a restaurant, a film festival or some other public place. I've also heard of setting up formal pitch meetings. Lastly, I've heard of simply mailing a script to someone.

Of the shows/movies that you know of, how did the script ultimately get from the writer (freelancer or otherwise) to the descision maker?
Starting a thread in OOT is the best way to do it afaik.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-22-2011 , 09:18 PM
gimmie a scenario and ill write a line of description and a line of dialogue... or don't, whatever.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-23-2011 , 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopz
For pitching...some of the ways I've of are ambushing someone at a restaurant, a film festival or some other public place. I've also heard of setting up formal pitch meetings. Lastly, I've heard of simply mailing a script to someone.

Of the shows/movies that you know of, how did the script ultimately get from the writer (freelancer or otherwise) to the descision maker?
Setting up a formal meeting works if you have an agent to do that for you. Hard to do that without some sort of inroad. I would not recommend ambushing anyone regardless of whether it's at a restaurant, a film festival or a public place. You definitely don't want to do it at a restaurant that's open to the public in a city that's hosting a film festival.

If you don't have any way of formally getting in a room with someone, you should just focus on writing whatever your idea is, as opposed to trying to pitch it. It's much easier to get something done with a script that can be read as opposed to just pitching an idea.

My best advice is to move to LA and start meeting people so you have people to give the script to once you've written it.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-23-2011 , 06:48 PM
Quote:
The first time we ever had a script week we drove to Mexico and wrote it down there which was awesome. Brought our laptops and a printer and set up an office in our hotel room which over looked the ocean and wrote the script there. We wrote a few hours a day and spent the rest of the time getting drunk and making bad decisions in Rosarito.
That sounds like a good show or movie in itself.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-23-2011 , 07:35 PM
Are you a lawyer?
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-23-2011 , 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsoyars

My best advice is to move to LA and start meeting people so you have people to give the script to once you've written it.
One of my childhood friends wrote a spec script for The West Wing and got hired by Sorkin to work on the show.

Exactly how unlikely is something like that? [He went to Harvard and was a sharp, funny guy, somewhat obviously.]
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-24-2011 , 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOsis
Are you a lawyer?
No and if anyone says I am it is a lie from the pit of hell.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-24-2011 , 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NajdorfDefense
One of my childhood friends wrote a spec script for The West Wing and got hired by Sorkin to work on the show.

Exactly how unlikely is something like that? [He went to Harvard and was a sharp, funny guy, somewhat obviously.]
Getting hired on a show simply bc you wrote a great spec of that show is highly unlikely and generally not an advisable tactic. It's better to write a spec of a different show bc the showrunners will be far too judgmental of a spec of their own show.

Getting hired on a show bc you went to Harvard and are smart and funny is pretty likely though.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-24-2011 , 07:39 PM
Do you know Jill Soloway?

I always thought that 'Courtney Cox's *******' essay she wrote was funny as hell.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-26-2011 , 10:23 PM
what's the difference in pay for mid-to-senior level writers on shows that are on major networks and shows that are on cable. Like how much more (or less?) are the people on 30 Rock getting paid than the writers on Always Sunny?
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-31-2011 , 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipWrecked
Do you know Jill Soloway?

I always thought that 'Courtney Cox's *******' essay she wrote was funny as hell.
I don't know her but have worked with people who worked with her and have heard them say very nice things about her.

Hadn't read that essay but just looked it up and read it. I laughed very hard at the sexual fantasy index cards, especially the slave owner one, but not so much after that.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
08-31-2011 , 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Dong
what's the difference in pay for mid-to-senior level writers on shows that are on major networks and shows that are on cable. Like how much more (or less?) are the people on 30 Rock getting paid than the writers on Always Sunny?
Well, those shows aren't good examples bc the Sunny guys are syndicated and just got picked up for two more seasons and are a huge hit for that network so they are making a lot.

But if you took a first year network show compared to a first year cable show, the network writers are making much more, probably at least 2-3x as much.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
09-01-2011 , 07:00 PM
This is a cool thread...missed it first time around and am now like halfway through.

Certainly a job that I think is cool. I spent 30 minutes today coming up with puns to tweet involving Scott Caan...for no money.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
09-05-2011 , 02:29 AM
OP my gift to you, treasure trove of funny-sounding disease names (WARNING GROSS): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ous_conditions

How about some Mongolian Spot, Norwegian Scabies, Creeping Eruption?
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
09-05-2011 , 02:54 AM
I lol'd at Creeping Eruption.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
09-05-2011 , 03:37 AM
Plz make sure to let me know when you work one of these into a show.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
10-05-2011 , 03:54 AM
Bump. You working with Howard Kremer? What's he like?
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
10-05-2011 , 02:46 PM
Quote:
I'm still trying to work "wiping my ass with Bounce" into some kind of an actual joke. It's my white whale.
"I wipe my ass with Bounce. Snuggle if I've had chili."
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote
10-05-2011 , 03:04 PM
Great thread BTW. I've always thought of TV writing as a dream job, but starting at the bottom as a PA and trying to get people to read my concept while doing all that grunt work seemed terrifying... because I knew talented people who toiled at that level for ages, and it didn't seem like they were ever gonna make it.

Since leaving LA I went the semi-easier route of broadcast advertising. I get to write some fun stuff but it's kind of a constant battle.

I still think helping write and develop a show (or getting on board with a good one early on) would be a dream come true. I suppose I should stop ****ing around and write one.
Ask me anything about being a TV comedy writer Quote

      
m