Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Other Topics Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #101
dukemagic
Pooh-Bah
 
dukemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: pau smiled at me!
Posts: 4,898
Re: 2014 Android thread

I think it's crazy that there's still no good way to preserve game data when factory resetting or changing devices. Seems like it should be pretty standard by now, it's just so annoying to be 90% done with a game and then you move to a new device or reset your phone and boom you lose everything.

Anyone know more about that? Is it just a matter of developers adopting Google Play Games or whatever it's called? Or could developers just develop an "export data to SD card" type function?

I mean, I have root and Titanium Backup now, so I can do it manually, but this shouldn't require root. Also the process of rooting and installing a new ROM meant I had to wipe everything so while I'm good going forward, I did lose everything from prior to rooting. So that means I stopped playing a lot of games that I used to spend tons of time on.

Am I missing something obvious?
dukemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #102
Brock Landers
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 7,160
Re: 2014 Android thread

The Bluetooth headphones thing has got me thinking. Can anyone recommend any Bluetooth earbuds that are relatively cheap, maybe $50 or so? At the gym the chord on my regular earbuds gets in the way.
Brock Landers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #103
bixby snyder
A distant second
 
bixby snyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grubb's Tavern
Posts: 6,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemagic View Post
I think it's crazy that there's still no good way to preserve game data when factory resetting or changing devices. Seems like it should be pretty standard by now, it's just so annoying to be 90% done with a game and then you move to a new device or reset your phone and boom you lose everything.

Anyone know more about that? Is it just a matter of developers adopting Google Play Games or whatever it's called? Or could developers just develop an "export data to SD card" type function?

I mean, I have root and Titanium Backup now, so I can do it manually, but this shouldn't require root. Also the process of rooting and installing a new ROM meant I had to wipe everything so while I'm good going forward, I did lose everything from prior to rooting. So that means I stopped playing a lot of games that I used to spend tons of time on.

Am I missing something obvious?
I think a lot of games have it built in. Puzzles and Dragons does.

Reminds me, oops, forgot to back up my PAD data. There goes about 1,000 hours of my life. Was bored with it anyway.
bixby snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #104
dukemagic
Pooh-Bah
 
dukemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: pau smiled at me!
Posts: 4,898
Re: 2014 Android thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby snyder View Post
I think a lot of games have it built in.
Huh, really? I can't recall ever seeing that before. Maybe I just missed it, here's some of the games that I played a lot of that I don't think have that option: Euchre, Ski Safari, Cut the Rope (Normal, Experiments, Time Travel), Pudding Monsters, Trainyard (Normal and Express), Dragon, Fly!, Super Stickman 2, Cross Me / Color, Nono Logix, 7 Little Words, Broken Sword, Flow, Granny Smith, Puzzle Retreat.

Those are all games that I didn't reinstall because I didn't want to have to make up all my progress (except for Euchre, that was just stats).

But anyway, it's great if developers are starting to offer it as a manual option, but my point is that it should be automatic, and linked to your Google Account. So no need for user intervention, and when you set up a fresh device and install a game, it'll ask you if you want to restore data, in much the same way that it'll automatically restore Bluetooth/wifi profiles, wallpaper, installed apps, etc.
dukemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #105
2bad4u
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 673
Re: 2014 Android thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemagic View Post
Huh, really? I can't recall ever seeing that before. Maybe I just missed it, here's some of the games that I played a lot of that I don't think have that option: Euchre, Ski Safari, Cut the Rope (Normal, Experiments, Time Travel), Pudding Monsters, Trainyard (Normal and Express), Dragon, Fly!, Super Stickman 2, Cross Me / Color, Nono Logix, 7 Little Words, Broken Sword, Flow, Granny Smith, Puzzle Retreat.

Those are all games that I didn't reinstall because I didn't want to have to make up all my progress (except for Euchre, that was just stats).

But anyway, it's great if developers are starting to offer it as a manual option, but my point is that it should be automatic, and linked to your Google Account. So no need for user intervention, and when you set up a fresh device and install a game, it'll ask you if you want to restore data, in much the same way that it'll automatically restore Bluetooth/wifi profiles, wallpaper, installed apps, etc.
Clash of clans does this. Good thing too as some of the units take DAYS to build...
2bad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #106
[Phill]
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 52,513
Re: 2014 Android thread

Yeah, as you suggested earlier its a case that the devs havent implemented save states that run off Google's servers. Riptide GP shows how perfectly it can be implemented, but first they need to implement it.
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #107
dukemagic
Pooh-Bah
 
dukemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: pau smiled at me!
Posts: 4,898
Re: 2014 Android thread

Okay cool, that answers my question. I just didn't know if it was something Google hadn't provided yet, or just a matter of slow adoption by developers.

Now the question is how can Google and/or users encourage developers to start implementing this? And is this something iPhone does better?
dukemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #108
[Phill]
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
[Phill]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 52,513
Re: 2014 Android thread

Pretty sure I have read that Apple does cloud backup of game data well when Google introduced it.

Frankly I think its a matter of the devs not seeing the value in doing it or they are selling IAPs to skip levels which IIRC is true for the Cut The Ropes and Pudding Monster games (I have no experience of the others).

I think the best solution Google could come up with, assuming it is cheap and easyish to implement today, is having some visible and recognisable way to know the game has cloud saving in the Play Store. Like some kind of badge in the description or whatever.
[Phill] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #109
KPowers
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sealed up with virgin stitch
Posts: 11,097
Re: 2014 Android thread

I flipped the **** out on Origin when they updated Need For Speed and the update caused the game to not start for every single ****ing person, and their solution caused me to lose all my cars and progress.


That **** needs to be cloudy saveyed.
KPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #110
happiness13
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Re: 2014 Android thread

whats the best texting app where i can have certain ringtones/sounds/silent options per person?

Ideally it could also only display notifications for those I want it to. And also a toggle where it could switch back to a default settings for all.

Basically i'm looking for an optimal way to be texting lots of girls without them knowing about each other. Of course they are specific "cheating" type text apps but those are more about covering your tracks. I just want to cover the tracks of getting the text notification at specific times I want - I'm not worried about girls snooping through my phone.
happiness13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #111
CrazyEyez
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CrazyEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SERPENTINE, SHEL!
Posts: 8,669
Re: 2014 Android thread

thinly veiled brag
CrazyEyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #112
KPowers
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sealed up with virgin stitch
Posts: 11,097
Re: 2014 Android thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness13 View Post
whats the best texting app where i can have certain ringtones/sounds/silent options per person?

Ideally it could also only display notifications for those I want it to. And also a toggle where it could switch back to a default settings for all.

Basically i'm looking for an optimal way to be texting lots of girls without them knowing about each other. Of course they are specific "cheating" type text apps but those are more about covering your tracks. I just want to cover the tracks of getting the text notification at specific times I want - I'm not worried about girls snooping through my phone.
There was an app on The Shark Tank(show) that was perfect.
http://www.cateapp.com/
KPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #113
happiness13
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Re: 2014 Android thread

Zoh. My. God.

Thanks. Only two tiny glitches otherwise works perfectly.
happiness13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #114
CrazyEyez
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CrazyEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SERPENTINE, SHEL!
Posts: 8,669
a) Can anyone tell me the max shutter speed the note 2 is capable of? Baffling that I can't find this.

b) is there a camera replacement that lets me set shutter speed?
CrazyEyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #115
MrGrumpy
grinder
 
MrGrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 556
Re: 2014 Android thread

Dunno, best I could find was a random mention of 1/17.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.camera.lite

I think this is your best option (if your phone supports all its features, e.g. my N5 wouldn't allow manual ISO changes).
MrGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #116
Nod88
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,393
Re: 2014 Android thread

Has anyone had changes in the way 2+2 is displayed in the past week?

I just use the stock browser to view 2+2, and it automatically displays the Mobile skin, which makes things easier/faster to read for me. If I want to view polls, avatars, etc, I just check the "Request desktop site" option, which displays the full site like a computer would. It has worked fine this way for years.

However, this past week, 2+2 started displaying as a full desktop skin all the time. No other sites were affected, and they would display the Mobile view unless I checked the option to view the desktop site, like normal. 2+2 would not go back to Mobile though. I eventually changed my 2+2 options to Mobi skin only, but now when I check the option to view the desktop site, it still remains Mobile view, and I cannot view polls, avatars, etc.

Has this happened to anyone else, and is there a fix for it?
Nod88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #117
saw7988
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
saw7988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,267
Re: 2014 Android thread

I'm guessing most people use the app. Why don't you use the app?
saw7988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #118
Nod88
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,393
Re: 2014 Android thread

Don't like the app, lots of people don't like the app. Simple and clean and functional (until this week) is fine by me.
Nod88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #119
CrazyEyez
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
CrazyEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SERPENTINE, SHEL!
Posts: 8,669
That's how I describe the app.
Heh
CrazyEyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #120
Bode-ist
solidly average
 
Bode-ist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: slow motion
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEyez View Post
That's how I describe the app.
Heh
Yep. Only thing the app doesn't do is load video and show polls.
Bode-ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #121
bixby snyder
A distant second
 
bixby snyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grubb's Tavern
Posts: 6,396
No ani gifs for me either. And posts cut out whenever a character like < is involved.
bixby snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #122
Nod88
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,393
Re: 2014 Android thread

Spoiler problems too, right? I also don't really like the layout.

Anyway, anyone else using a browser to view 2+2 via Mobile, and having a similar or related issue?
Nod88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #123
bubonicplay
Pooh-Bah
 
bubonicplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LV, $$
Posts: 3,966
Wow I just sold my used 16gb S 4 for 360. Had no idea I would make money getting the Mega. Still like the mega even if it's not a flagship, love the LCD screen. The S 4 feels like a toy now honestly.
bubonicplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #124
MrGrumpy
grinder
 
MrGrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 556
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ellotext.hello

Another nice SMS app at first glance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using 2+2 Forums
MrGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #125
bixby snyder
A distant second
 
bixby snyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grubb's Tavern
Posts: 6,396
Update: Google music service is pretty damn slick, now that I'm used to it and know what it does and doesn't do. Still probably won't renew, but way better than I thought. Just a couple genres where the selection and radio kinda sucks.
bixby snyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online