Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines. Sponsored by TwoPlusTwoStore.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #51
LektorAJ
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 5,972
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Then why have you heard of them?
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #52
zoltan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zoltan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Off my lawn you little punk!
Posts: 19,821
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LektorAJ View Post
Then why have you heard of them?
Better question is, why have you not heard of argosy?
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #53
LektorAJ
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 5,972
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
Better question is, why have you not heard of argosy?
What number are they?

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

But probably because I'm not American.

But if you take a Bayesian approach, suppose out of the 4000 degree-awarding universities in the US, maybe Mason has heard of 2000 of them. Let's also say that he has heard of 75% of the best 2000, and 25% of the bottom 2000.

Given the prior probability that a random university X is in the top half is 50%, the question is, does that probability change if we know that Mason Malmuth has never heard of it. The answer is yes, as 3/4 of the universities he has never heard of are in the bottom half so your assertion that

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
A university's familiarity says nothing about its quality.
is incorrect - unless we think he is equally likely to have heard of a higher or lower quality one.

But all of this is irrelevant. The important thing is not what someone did in their 20s, it's whether they carry the culture of logical inquiry through life.

I would like to leave you with this quote from the Harvard Business Review article Dr Cardner linked to against using Bayesian reasoning:

Quote:
Making Better Decisions
So, what is the right way to think about making decisions? There are a few easy answers. For big, expensive projects for which reasonably reliable data is available—deciding whether to build an oil refinery, or whether to go to an expensive graduate school, or whether to undergo a medical procedure—the techniques of decision analysis are invaluable. They are also useful in negotiations and group decisions. Those who have used decision analysis for years say they find themselves putting it to work even for fast judgments. The Harvard economist Richard Zeckhauser runs a quick decision tree in his head before deciding how much money to put in a parking meter in Harvard Square. “It sometimes annoys people,” he admits, “but you get good at doing this.”



A firefighter running into a burning building doesn’t have time for even a quick decision tree, yet if he is experienced enough his intuition will often lead him to excellent decisions. Many other fields are similarly conducive to intuition built through years of practice—a minimum of 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to develop true expertise, the psychologist K. Anders Ericsson famously estimated. The fields where this rule best applies tend to be stable. The behavior of tennis balls or violins or even fire won’t suddenly change and render experience invalid.
Her point presumably being that playing a poker hand is a lot more like a firefighter running into a burning building and making instant decisions based on reflexes (type 3), than the nerd running a cost-benefit analysis of how much money to put in a parking meter when he doesn't know how long his meeting will last (type 1).

A number of top players apparently agree with her, but all I can say is it certainly doesn't feel like that at micro and small stakes NL and Mason reports it also doesn't feel like that at mid stakes FL.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #54
zoltan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zoltan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Off my lawn you little punk!
Posts: 19,821
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LektorAJ View Post
What number are they?

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

But probably because I'm not American.
Rankings have literally no alignment with the actual quality of an institution. They are simply reputation metrics, no matter how USNWR wishes to portray otherwise. I've spent a LOT of time digging into rankings metrics, and they are easily manipulated.

Quote:
But if you take a Bayesian approach, suppose out of the 4000 degree-awarding universities in the US, maybe Mason has heard of 2000 of them. Let's also say that he has heard of 75% of the best 2000, and 25% of the bottom 2000.

Given the prior probability that a random university X is in the top half is 50%, the question is, does that probability change if we know that Mason Malmuth has never heard of it. The answer is yes, as 3/4 of the universities he has never heard of are in the bottom half so your assertion that



is incorrect - unless we think he is equally likely to have heard of a higher or lower quality one.
My statement was one of fact. The alternative facts you offer are not based in reality.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #55
LaProfessora
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 74
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

I'm so glad you all are so interested about me and my work! I'm so flattered <3 Especially when so much of the attention comes from a man with the stature of your fearless leader. It's positively swoon-worthy!

Since you seem so interested with my educational background, I thought I'd fill in the gaps for you!!

Don't fret; I'll be sure to let you know which schools have football teams as that is probably the most important factor in determining whether or not a school is top quality!

BA Psychology (with honors) - Texas A&M - Corpus Christi (No football team - Boo!!! I should probably get a refund on this one; oh wait - it was free because I had a full-scholarship. Moving on.)

MEd Counselor Education and Supervision - Texas Tech University (Yes! They've got a football team and with "Tech" in the name, you know this is a good one!!!)

PhD - Sam Houston State University - (Score! Football team) FYI: SHSU is one of the top PhD programs in the country for CJ/Crim - so I didn't get to see too many games - BOO!)
(My area of expertise is Corrections. Dissertation: Multicultural Competencies of Probation Officers)

EdD - Argosy University - Sarasota: Dissertation: Peak Poker Performance: A Qualitative Case Study (Darn it! No football team - but since this is my spare doctorate, I guess I'll give it a pass). They do have CACREP accreditation (http://www.cacrep.org/) - which is a national accreditation for graduate counseling programs - so maybe that evens it out...

I guess it's a wash since it's 50/50 on those football teams :-(


By the way, I attended Argosy while my husband was in the United States Air Force fighting for your right to post comments to a forum like this - so you're welcome for that. Because of his service, I wasn't able to go to a school with a football team and for that, I will be forever sorry. I've learned my lesson though and should I go for doctorate #3, I'll be sure to factor it in!


Side-note for those interested: behavioral economists are often criticized for theorizing that humans operate in a purely rational manner because the truth is most don't. Heuristics often lead to decision making errors and emotions clearly play a role in decisions and money matters, in particular, often engender illogical behaviors.

Have fun debating the merits of my various degrees and academic institutions. I wish I could find the time to post on here daily in defense of myself and my work, but alas, I'm busy trying to help people improve their lives and overcome their psychological difficulties.


Dr. C.
LaProfessora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #56
Hired Goons2
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 429
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaProfessora View Post
...
Sarcastic, thin-skinned and unfunny isn't the best play here...
Hired Goons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #57
LektorAJ
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 5,972
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaProfessora View Post
I'm so glad you all are so interested about me and my work!
So can you confirm

Quote:
Her point presumably being that playing a poker hand is a lot more like a firefighter running into a burning building and making instant decisions based on reflexes (type 3), than the nerd running a cost-benefit analysis of how much money to put in a parking meter when he doesn't know how long his meeting will last (type 1).
is not a misunderstanding on my part.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #58
LaProfessora
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 74
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goons2 View Post
Sarcastic, thin-skinned and unfunny isn't the best play here...
My response was a reply to requests for information from one Mason Malmuth.

Mr. Malmuth sent me an email requesting information about my education with an emphasis on football teams. He said:

Also, I never heard of Argosy University until you came along. That's probably because unlike my school, Virginia Tech, it doesn't have a football team. So this could be a good opportunity for you to explain why degrees from Argosy, like degrees from Va Tech, should be taken seriously.

Mason Malmuth

Sent from my iPhone


Then he brought it up again in this thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Hi AI:

One of the things that happened here is that Cardner's Ph.D. is from some place called Argosy University, which I had never heard of. On the other hand, virtually everyone has heard of Virginia Tech. But that's probably because Va Tech has a big time football team.

Best wishes,
Mason
So as you can see, I provided him with exactly what he wanted.

I did, however, forget one degree, so I'll include that here. I am proud to say that I earned an advanced degree from the Logan Sill School of Interpersonal Communications. Sadly, no football team there either

Best Wishes,
Dr. Cardner
LaProfessora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #59
ScotchOnDaRocks
adept
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SealsWithClubs
Posts: 767
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

lol I went to Penn State and our football is good again!
ScotchOnDaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #60
FieryJustice
veteran
 
FieryJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: @JonathanLittle
Posts: 2,500
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LektorAJ View Post
This is quite fun given your associate made a veiled threat of legal action against Mason Malmuth for saying almost exactly the same thing last year.

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...&postcount=367
I'm glad someone got the joke.

It is fun how difficult it is to stay looped in on the conversation, given one specific poster enjoys taking various statements out of context, and then posts them sporadically throughout the forum.

To clarify for what feels like the hundredth time....

You do not need 10,000 hours of experience to beat small stakes games.
I have never claimed that. However, you will find that most large-winning high stakes players have well over 10,000 hours of experience. I would bet that at least 90% of the players with a 20% ROI or more in the $10,000 buy-in and larger tournaments, and 90% of players who play $10/$20 no-limit or higher online with a 3bb/100 win rate or more have well over 10,000 hours of experience. To repeat so it is clear and hopefully not taken out of context again in the future, you do not need much experience at all to beat a soft $5/$10 no-limit game at Bellagio.

If you have a tiny win rate, you need a large bankroll. If you have a giant win rate, you do not need a large bankroll. Someone who asks the question "I hate losing, what can I do about that?" should not be replied to as if they have a giant win rate.

If you are sleep deprived, you will play worse than if you are well-rested.

Poker books have been in existence for at least 30 years.


Mason asks why I spend my valuable time replying here, given very few people even read this forum anymore. It is primarily because I don't appreciate my work being taken drastically out of context, especially given malicious motives are obvious. I also enjoy helping people who actually want to succeed at poker, and much of what has been posted recently in this forum by one specific poster is blatantly incorrect.

Perhaps 2+2 is simply no longer a place where people go to learn about poker, and if that is the case, I should realize that it is no longer relevant and should muck on it. Almost all the posters I learned from 13 years ago no longer post on 2+2 due to its current nature, so perhaps I should follow suit.


As an aside, I also went to a university that does not have a football team on a full academic scholarship. Should I feel like less of a human because of this?
FieryJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #61
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,091
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaProfessora View Post
My response was a reply to requests for information from one Mason Malmuth.

Mr. Malmuth sent me an email requesting information about my education with an emphasis on football teams. He said:

Also, I never heard of Argosy University until you came along. That's probably because unlike my school, Virginia Tech, it doesn't have a football team. So this could be a good opportunity for you to explain why degrees from Argosy, like degrees from Va Tech, should be taken seriously.

Mason Malmuth

Sent from my iPhone


Then he brought it up again in this thread.




So as you can see, I provided him with exactly what he wanted.

I did, however, forget one degree, so I'll include that here. I am proud to say that I earned an advanced degree from the Logan Sill School of Interpersonal Communications. Sadly, no football team there either

Best Wishes,
Dr. Cardner
Well here's the whole email I sent in response to one of your post reports wanting a post deleted. (We eventually deleted several posts in this thread: https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/26...ching-1646243/ )

Quote:
Why don't you post a link to your Ph.D. Thesis. I would think that would be something you would be happy to do.

Also, I never heard of Argosy University until you came along. That's probably because unlike my school Virginia Tech, it doesn't have a football team. So this could be a good opportunity for you to explain why degrees from Argosy, like degrees from Va Tech, should be taken seriously.

Mason Malmuth
MM
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #62
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,091
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchOnDaRocks View Post
lol I went to Penn State and our football is good again!
Hi ScotchOnDaRocks:

Yes. It's good to see that Penn State is back. Also, I know that Va Tech has gone up against Penn State in a couple of recruiting battles and that they're tough competition in recruiting as well as on the football field.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #63
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,091
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryJustice View Post
As an aside, I also went to a university that does not have a football team on a full academic scholarship. Should I feel like less of a human because of this?
I went to Va Tech on an athletic scholarship, and unlike you I finished school.

MM
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #64
LaProfessora
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 74
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Well here's the whole email I sent in response to one of post reports wanting a post deleted. (We eventually deleted several posts in this thread: https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/26...ching-1646243/ )



MM
I shall address all of your above mentioned points.

First of all, I cannot link to my dissertation directly. It can be accessed via a university library or it can be purchased via proquest & this is information I have provided before in these forums. Thus, I did not feel the need to re-post it here, but since you did, I'll repeat myself for the hundredth time.

Second, I love the way you keep up your ill-founded harassment towards me and putting it in writing - it is the best form of communication.

What I especially like about it is how you have never once asked about the qualifications of any other mental game coach. Only me. Now, why is that? Is it because I am a woman or because you are intimidated by someone with my level of education and clinical experience?

I am clearly more qualified to talk about the mental game than you and perhaps that fact leaves you feeling a little bit less. The fact that I have to validate my accomplishments says something about you personally. The fact that I have done so indicates that I have no problem "proving" that I am a subject matter content expert, and my clients (who are some of the best poker players in the world) agree. For you to disagree would have zero basis in fact.

The reason the above mentioned posts were deleted is because they were libelous and this was confirmed via several communications that were exchanged with the proper authorities.

Finally, the reason I published my books with D&B Publishing and Jonathan Little is because they respect and appreciate the value I bring to the game of poker. These are things that are clearly of little value to you and your publishing company.

In light of full disclosure, I consider this matter closed. There is no reason for you to continue on with your harassment and ill-founded assertions. Consider this fair warning because it is the last one you are going to get.

Dr. Patricia Cardner
LaProfessora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #65
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,091
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaProfessora View Post
What I especially like about it is how you have never once asked about the qualifications of any other mental game coach. Only me. Now, why is that? Is it because I am a woman or because you are intimidated by someone with my level of education and clinical experience?
This isn't accurate. We stopped taking advertising from both Elliot Roe and Jared Tendler. My conclusion is that sports psychology has virtually nothing to do with poker. That's because sports has both a knowledge component and an execution component, and most everything I see from the poker mental coaches, and this includes you, are things that will help an athlete with their execution -- speed, timing, coordination, etc., and little if any relative to knowledge of the game.

Poker on the other hand is mainly a knowledge game. I fail to see, and this is my opinion, where the execution component plays more than a minor role. Thus I reject much of what I read coming from people such as yourself producing material in this area.

Please feel free to explain where I have any of this wrong.

MM
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #66
LaProfessora
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 74
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
This isn't accurate. We stopped taking advertising from both Elliot Roe and Jared Tendler. My conclusion is that sports psychology has virtually nothing to do with poker. That's because sports has both a knowledge component and an execution component, and most everything I see from the poker mental coaches, and this includes you, are things that will help an athlete with their execution -- speed, timing, coordination, etc., and little if any relative to knowledge of the game.

Poker on the other hand is mainly a knowledge game. I fail to see, and this is my opinion, where the execution component plays more than a minor role. Thus I reject much of what I read coming from people such as yourself producing material in this area.

Please feel free to explain where I have any of this wrong.

MM
Mr. Malmuth,

As a former tenured college professor, I pride myself on my ability to teach virtually anyone any concept under the purview of understanding human behavior. You are a special case, having demonstrated on numerous occasions that you lack basic reading comprehension skills, you engage in tautological reasoning, and you appear to be recalcitrant when it comes to learning.

You merely want to "debate" as if we were equally matched in terms of our intellect, education and experience. You, sir, fall woefully short. If we were to engage in said intellectual contest, you would require extensive remediation, to which I am happy to provide assistance. PM me for my private rates and availability.

Yours Truly,

Patricia Cardner, BA, MEd, PhD, EdD
LaProfessora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #67
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,091
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryJustice View Post
If you are sleep deprived, you will play worse than if you are well-rested.
You keep saying this and my understanding is that this is not an accurate statement, and both David Sklansky and myself have addressed this in some of our posts on this forum.

Two Plus Two will soon come out with a new book, Poker and More: Unique Ideas and Concepts; Strategy, Game Theory, and Psychology from Two Renowned Gambling Experts By David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth. It consists mostly of essays that we wrote for our Two Plus Two Online Poker Strategy Magazine. The following is from the chapter titled "Real Poker Psychology — A Few Clarifications:"

Quote:
Idea No. 6: Being mentally tired versus being physically tired. My understanding is that there are two ways you can get tired, mentally and physically. So how does this relate to poker?

Well, as we addressed above, poker is mainly a game of knowledge and, in my opinion, the execution component should be minimal at best. So how do the two forms of being tired affect a poker player.

First, as I show in Real Poker Psychology, being physically tired should have little effect on your poker decisions. That’s because your knowledge of the game remains the same. Here’s what I wrote on page 97:

Second, and something that many people think is quite important, is how does the long playing session and getting tired begin to affect your play. Well, if you’ve read this far, the answer should be obvious. If you’re a good player, you should know what is the right play to make, and this will for the most part be the case whether you’re tired or not.

But what about being mentally tired? First, let’s agree that if you were to play poker 40 to 50 hours a week, for week after week after week, you’ll eventually become mentally tired and need a vacation. The same may be true for those who play many long grueling tournaments, especially when they get close to life changing money. So on those rare occasions when mentally tired, I agree that mistakes can be made and it may be time for a break.

But the same is not true when physically tired. Here an expert player, perhaps after a poor night’s sleep or a hard workout in the gym, should still have very good poker results.
One of the things I find interesting about this is that I have yet to read anything in the poker psychology literature, and this refers to a number of authors, that addresses any of this. If someone has, I would like to be directed to it.

MM
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #68
zoltan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zoltan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Off my lawn you little punk!
Posts: 19,821
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
You keep saying this and my understanding is that this is not an accurate statement, and both David Sklansky and myself have addressed this in some of our posts on this forum.

Two Plus Two will soon come out with a new book, Poker and More: Unique Ideas and Concepts; Strategy, Game Theory, and Psychology from Two Renowned Gambling Experts By David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth. It consists mostly of essays that we wrote for our Two Plus Two Online Poker Strategy Magazine. The following is from the chapter titled "Real Poker Psychology — A Few Clarifications:"



One of the things I find interesting about this is that I have yet to read anything in the poker psychology literature, and this refers to a number of authors, that addresses any of this. If someone has, I would like to be directed to it.

MM
1) Is it your opinion that "poker psychology" (in the context of this specific discussion, factors involved in decision-making processes) is different than psychology (again, decision-making processes) than other forms of psychology?

2) Do decision-making processes differ between poker and other non-physical fields?

3) Do you intend to use data from studies investigating the effects of mental and physical fatigue and sleep deprivation on cognitive functions from other fields?

4) Do you believe that, e.g. a physician's or air traffic controllers cognitive abilities are identical at the beginning of a shift and after 8+ hours of work? If not, why not, and what can you provide evidence to support your view?

ETA

Quote:
Idea No. 6: Being mentally tired versus being physically tired. My understanding is that there are two ways you can get tired, mentally and physically. So how does this relate to poker?

Well, as we addressed above, poker is mainly a game of knowledge and, in my opinion, the execution component should be minimal at best. So how do the two forms of being tired affect a poker player.

First, as I show in Real Poker Psychology, being physically tired should have little effect on your poker decisions. That’s because your knowledge of the game remains the same. Here’s what I wrote on page 97:

Second, and something that many people think is quite important, is how does the long playing session and getting tired begin to affect your play. Well, if you’ve read this far, the answer should be obvious. If you’re a good player, you should know what is the right play to make, and this will for the most part be the case whether you’re tired or not.
5) Is it your assertion that physical and mental "tiredness" are independent, and therefore have no effect on each other?

6) Is all knowledge about a topic accessible under all conditions for a given individual?

Last edited by zoltan; 02-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #69
LektorAJ
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 5,972
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
2) Do decision-making processes differ between poker and other non-physical fields?
I think both Dr Cardner and Mr Malmuth accept that there are different ways of making decisions. Cardner points to a model of 3 decision-making philosophies and as far as I can see, classifies poker decision-making as type 3. Malmuth uses different terminology but he seems to be classifyng it in type 1.

As a result they disagree on almost everything else, restating the root of the disagreement in infinite configurations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
4) Do you believe that, e.g. a physician's or air traffic controllers cognitive abilities are identical at the beginning of a shift and after 8+ hours of work?
I like this. I'm actually a recreational air traffic controller having played
HATC (http://www.mobygames.com/game/heathr...raffic-control) as child.

Everyone agrees that there is a drop off in performance, the question is, how bad would the tired air traffic controller be on a scale where I'm a 3 and his normal performance is 10? To what extent would his better knowledge of "all things air traffic control" keep him ahead of me and how tired would he have to be for it to be better to swap him out and put the amateur in?

Off course the interesting parallel with poker is that the massive stakes magnify even the smallest advantage or edge.

Even Mason agrees that the mental game stuff is worth something - in his book he estimates 0.1 Big Bets per hour (though I think it's much higher, I will write a review of his book soon pointing out where I disagree) so obviously someone like Todd Brunson who has been reported playing $50/$100K would be well advised to work on the mental game aspects.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #70
zoltan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zoltan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Off my lawn you little punk!
Posts: 19,821
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Appreciate your input, but I was specifically addressing my questions to MM.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #71
LektorAJ
Pooh-Bah
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 5,972
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

I know, but there is enough disagreement in the thread without bringing up things which are actually common ground.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #72
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,091
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
1) Is it your opinion that "poker psychology" (in the context of this specific discussion, factors involved in decision-making processes) is different than psychology (again, decision-making processes) than other forms of psychology?
Of course there is. My understanding is that sports psychlogy helps with things like speed, timing, and coordination, and to me that makes sense. I know when playing tennis if I'm able to reduce stress, have slept well, improve my diet, etc. all these things will help me hit the ball better. But in a game like poker, where the execution factor is minimal at best, those things the sports psychologists try to bring to the poker world have, in my opinion, very little value.

I'm going by memory, so maybe I have authors confused, but at the beginning of the book Positive Poker I think Cardner asks the question does the poker world need a sports psychologist? And my answer is no. Perhaps some of the things that people like Cardner, Tendler, and Roe advocate might be very good for an Olympic athlete or an MMA fighter, but my position is that this stuff has no more than a little value in the poker world.

Quote:
2) Do decision-making processes differ between poker and other non-physical fields?
I'm not an expert on many other non-physical fields. But I do believe that in the world of math and statistics, where my background is from, the decision making process is very similar to poker.

Quote:
3) Do you intend to use data from studies investigating the effects of mental and physical fatigue and sleep deprivation on cognitive functions from other fields?
What a stupid question. Why don't you stay awake for three straight days and see how well you play poker.

Quote:
4) Do you believe that, e.g. a physician's or air traffic controllers cognitive abilities are identical at the beginning of a shift and after 8+ hours of work? If not, why not, and what can you provide evidence to support your view?
I know very little about air traffic controlers and many physicians do seem to work long hours, especially in an emergency room, and you don't hear about lots of problems.

I think the way to answer this question is are things like speed, timing, and coordination involved. If this is the case, and perhaps with a surgeon this would be accurate, then being physically tired would make a difference. But I doubt that this would be true with air traffic controllers, but I certainly could be wrong since I know nothing about the job.

On the other hand, if a specific job comes with a lot of stress, and this is probably true with an emergency room doctor, then over time becoming mentally tired should set in and they'll need a vacation. And in a high stress job a person may need a vacation a little more often than in other jobs. So this may be the answer for air traffic controllers.

Quote:
5) Is it your assertion that physical and mental "tiredness" are independent, and therefore have no effect on each other?
I'm not an expert in this area and have made no assertions one way or another like this. But what I find interesting, is that the poker mental coaches, who do claim to be experts in this area, as far as I know, never even mention it. But my approach to poker psychology, which is based on mathematical modeling and statistical theory brought me to this point.

Quote:
6) Is all knowledge about a topic accessible under all conditions for a given individual?
I give up. Why don't you tell us since this appears to be a "gotch ya" question.

MM
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #73
zoltan
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
zoltan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Off my lawn you little punk!
Posts: 19,821
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
I'm not an expert in this area and have made no assertions one way or another like this.
This response reveals you're not curious enough to question your own assumptions or conclusions, particularly since there are literally thousands of studies that address this topic.

Quote:
I know very little about air traffic controlers and many physicians do seem to work long hours, especially in an emergency room, and you don't hear about lots of problems.
And this response reveals that you don't seem to be willing or able to consider alternative hypotheses.

I'm curious why you think it is that we "don't hear about lots of problems" involving suboptimal decisions under stressful conditions.

I'm also curious as to why you presume that prior knowledge is essentially worthless in this area.

Last edited by zoltan; 02-10-2017 at 04:45 PM.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #74
Blunderer
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 395
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Its quite an interesting discussion. I suspect both sides are right in their own way.

I'm not good enough at poker to know what the answer is.

That said I have done a huge amount of exams in my day. Based on Mason's arguments (I think) he would suggest its just about how well you have studied. Cartner's view would be that there are other angles to it.

My sense is that the debate is being made artificially mutually exclusive.

You will always do better at an exam by knowing the subject better.

But you will also do better coping with the stress, having self belief, being able to access the knowledge.

I don't think this always comes from just studying harder, although this also helps (a lot).

Even if it did, there are those that go into the hall who haven't studied hard enough who will do better because of their ability to cope with that stress (or who have the better mental game)

Both sides are right (kind of)
Blunderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #75
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,091
Re: underrated poker books?? most obscure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan View Post
This response reveals you're not curious enough to question your own assumptions or conclusions, particularly since there are literally thousands of studies that address this topic.

And this response reveals that you don't seem to be willing or able to consider alternative hypotheses.

I'm curious why you think it is that we "don't hear about lots of problems" involving suboptimal decisions under stressful conditions.

I'm also curious as to why you presume that prior knowledge is essentially worthless in this area.
Hi Zoltan:

You got my answer and now you don't like it. Well, vigorous debate is what these forums are about.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online