Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines. Sponsored by TwoPlusTwoStore.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #351
SnowyCutmore
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Would this book help with MTTs? I've played about 300 MTTs online and played a good bit of NL2 and NL4 cash games. I have no software set up or anything and I feel like I have major improvement in me with the right book/coach. My main interest is MTTs though so I'm guessing this book won't be much help? If so can anyone point me in the right direction? Carrotters what do you recommend for mtts?
SnowyCutmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #352
sparks_mandrill
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCutmore View Post
Would this book help with MTTs? I've played about 300 MTTs online and played a good bit of NL2 and NL4 cash games. I have no software set up or anything and I feel like I have major improvement in me with the right book/coach. My main interest is MTTs though so I'm guessing this book won't be much help? If so can anyone point me in the right direction? Carrotters what do you recommend for mtts?
The book is catered to 6-max online players with a HUD.

Someone else would have to say what's applicable and what isn't to MTT

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 PM   #353
SnowyCutmore
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
The book is catered to 6-max online players with a HUD.

Someone else would have to say what's applicable and what isn't to MTT

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think a solid cash game player should be able to be a solid tournament player? It seems like if you had solid cash game skills (beating 100nl consistently) them that can only help with tournaments? You would develop a more all round game, good post flop play etc. It qould definitely be beneficial for the early stages of a tournament where everyone is deep stacked I think? I dont really know though, maybe im totally wrong. I read an interview with moorman where he said software isnt really that useful for tournaments and he doesnt use it. He could have been lying, who knows.
SnowyCutmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #354
sparks_mandrill
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCutmore View Post
I think a solid cash game player should be able to be a solid tournament player? It seems like if you had solid cash game skills (beating 100nl consistently) them that can only help with tournaments? You would develop a more all round game, good post flop play etc. It qould definitely be beneficial for the early stages of a tournament where everyone is deep stacked I think? I dont really know though, maybe im totally wrong. I read an interview with moorman where he said software isnt really that useful for tournaments and he doesnt use it. He could have been lying, who knows.
That's a question that's probably better suited to the beginner questions part of this forum. I don't mean to be rude, but in poker, generalizations like that don't really fly, especially on this board. You might want to ask that on reddit.

Again, this book just isn't really catered to tournaments as it's focus is 6-max online play and the author uses a HUD in every hand example.

I don't think this book will provide what you're looking for specifically and that you should seek a book that's catered to tournament play. There's several out there.

Good luck dude.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 AM   #355
TenToes
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks_mandrill View Post
How long have you been dabbling with poker?

Its the equivalent of handing someone a text book and saying, "Knock yourself out. This will get you started for sure".

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LektorAJ View Post
If you're starting from not having read anything at all, I'd say before you read it (or anything else) you should definitely read the short articles on www.thepokerbank.com as they give you the basic poker vocabulary to know what the hell we are all talking about with our "reverse implied odds" and stuff like that.
Thanks for the answers.

I played a bit of live games with friends and some online about 10 years ago. I lurked on some forums back then but didn't study much. I read one Finnish book about poker that had the basics in it.

Looking to get back into it, this time taking it a bit more seriously (Study, HUD, hand history analysis, table selection, bankroll management). I've been reading some stuff online and will be reading these forums, but I'd like to also get a long-format book with a consistent voice.

I'll check out the link. And "textbook" sounds good to me as I'm quite used to reading scientific books/papers. I'll probably end up getting this book.
TenToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:15 AM   #356
sparks_mandrill
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenToes View Post
Thanks for the answers.

I played a bit of live games with friends and some online about 10 years ago. I lurked on some forum back then but didn't study much.

Looking to get back into it, this time taking it a bit more seriously (Study, HUD, hand history analysis, table selection, bankroll management). I've been reading some stuff online and will be reading these forums, but I'd like to also get a long-format book with a consistent voice.

I'll check out the link. And "textbook" sounds good to me as I'm quite used to reading scientific books/papers. I'll probably end up getting this book.
Cool, man. Then get in here and post stuff that confuses you so we can both learn!
sparks_mandrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #357
LektorAJ
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 6,460
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCutmore View Post
Would this book help with MTTs? I've played about 300 MTTs online and played a good bit of NL2 and NL4 cash games. I have no software set up or anything and I feel like I have major improvement in me with the right book/coach. My main interest is MTTs though so I'm guessing this book won't be much help? If so can anyone point me in the right direction? Carrotters what do you recommend for mtts?
I mostly play tournaments and SNGs myself. There are no really good books for MTTs or tournaments that I'm aware of. Kill Everyone covers some of the tournament specific stuff pretty well. Otherwise just try to get better at poker in general - a lot of the best stuff is written for 6-max cash so read that.

About not using a HUD - many tournament players don't (e.g. Casey Jarzabek doesn't) as you rarely get good sample sizes on people and you don't know what the situation was last time you met. Personally I play on a HUDless site anyway. It's still good to learn about HUD stats so you understand what the rest of the poker world is talking about when they discuss spots.

P.S. I have started a thread on 100 hands https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/3...larke-1701284/ if anyone else has read it and wants to comment.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #358
SnowyCutmore
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LektorAJ View Post
I mostly play tournaments and SNGs myself. There are no really good books for MTTs or tournaments that I'm aware of. Kill Everyone covers some of the tournament specific stuff pretty well. Otherwise just try to get better at poker in general - a lot of the best stuff is written for 6-max cash so read that.

About not using a HUD - many tournament players don't (e.g. Casey Jarzabek doesn't) as you rarely get good sample sizes on people and you don't know what the situation was last time you met. Personally I play on a HUDless site anyway. It's still good to learn about HUD stats so you understand what the rest of the poker world is talking about when they discuss spots.

P.S. I have started a thread on 100 hands https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/3...larke-1701284/ if anyone else has read it and wants to comment.

Thanks for your reply

Quick question, if you do not play cash games much why did you get into carroters books? Is a lot of the stuff transferable to tournaments? I've heard good stuff about kill everyone and I will start reading that tomorrow. Thanks. I would love to hear what carroters has to say on cash games vs mtts
SnowyCutmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:03 AM   #359
LektorAJ
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 6,460
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCutmore View Post
Quick question, if you do not play cash games much why did you get into carroters books?
Because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LektorAJ View Post
There are no really good books for MTTs or tournaments that I'm aware of.
...
- a lot of the best stuff is written for 6-max cash so read that.
if you mean Carroters specifically I was looking for podcasts to listen to on my commute and started listening to those from a old training site called Grinderschool. Carroters seemed like the one who most knew what he was talking about so I started listening to his podcast too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCutmore View Post
Is a lot of the stuff transferable to tournaments?
Yes. Far from the bubble and reasonably deep there is not much difference at all, except for the lower standard of play generally.

Cash games are always played in linear space (chips = money) whereas tournaments close to the bubble are played in curved space (more complex relationship between chips and money) but a lot of the same principles apply even then.

Another factor is the wider range of stack sizes in a tournament. They often start 300BB deep and go down to less than 10BB deep. I was about to write you "need" to play all stack sizes well, but plenty of other people don't either - better to say that you can benefit from learning how to play all stack sizes well. Cashgame books like TGM focus mostly on stacks around 100BB and do much less stuff with deeper or shorter effective stacks (particularly those under 20BB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCutmore View Post
I would love to hear what carroters has to say on cash games vs mtts
I don't know that he has much experience with MTTs.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #360
sweetswing1
journeyman
 
sweetswing1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 272
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

I'm beginner level player, and have only read the first few chapters and am re-reading and re-reading them for the next while until I can apply the concepts well enough.

Book review:

Really well presented information. It's clear and easy to read and although some said it was "overkill" for me to buy it, I don't think it is. As a book it sets one of a better path of thinking, so I think it would be great for all beginners with the caveat that the later chapters will only be used as one advances.

Previous books i've read give a "do this, do that" approach where as Grinders Manual gives you a way to think about poker. I'm slowly getting it through my thick skull.

Overall 10/10 for what I've read so far.
sweetswing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #361
sparks_mandrill
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

I created the following post in The Beginner's Questions section of the forum, but it came about from reading this book, so perhaps some of it's readers can help me out: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t




Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
sparks_mandrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #362
slenderhusband
journeyman
 
slenderhusband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 214
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

How beneficial would this book be to someone who plays in a room which doesn't allow HUDs nor any type of tracking? The reason for asking is that the decision-making process outlined in the book seems to rely pretty heavily on different stats. For example, how would I know if I should bet linear or polarized if I don't know how much villain folds to 3-bets?
slenderhusband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #363
sparks_mandrill
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

On Hand 65, I couldn't figure out, using Equilab, how hero had range disadvantage on this flop.

For villain, I just used the default BU opening range at the start of the book, and for Hero, I used the calling vs 3x open from button range and removed AA-JJ as I thought those would be hands to 3-bet with.

I ended up with 51-49 in Hero's favor.
sparks_mandrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #364
jungmit
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,702
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Can I get this book in hard copy? All i see is kindle on amazon.
jungmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #365
+VLFBERH+T
grinder
 
+VLFBERH+T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: at the crossroads
Posts: 591
Re: Review: Peter 'Carroters' Clarke - The Grinder's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmit View Post
Can I get this book in hard copy? All i see is kindle on amazon.
No.
+VLFBERH+T is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online