Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #26
TRUSTtheDRAWCESS
adept
 
TRUSTtheDRAWCESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: In the streets
Posts: 1,185
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foucault View Post
Hi Trust, thanks for your interest in the books (and thanks to Mason for fielding these questions already).

The math is not complicated, nowhere near what you'd find in MoP. Mathematical reasoning is important, but computation is not. I sometimes use algebra to demonstrate the proof of a concept, but even that is not essential if you're willing to take my word for it :-)

As Mason, it's a dense book, but I don't think a lot of background knowledge is required other than rudimentary math (high school algebra is plenty) and poker/hold 'em familiarity. The original POP especially is more about explaining things conceptually than getting into the details. There's more detail in POP 2, but even there the conceptual is front and center.

This is also, I think, the fundamental difference from Modern Poker Theory. I think MPT is a great book. I reference it often for my own playing purposes, and I cite it in POP 2. But MPT emphasizes the details much more than the concepts. You'll get fewer pie charts and more explanation of the "why" in the POP books.

I reduced the price of the POP e-book by 67% when POP 2 came out, so essentially, the answer to your question about a discount is yes. In fact, you get the discount even if you don't buy POP 2 :-)

The paperbacks are only available through Amazon, so I'm not able to offer a unilateral discount on those.
Thank you for the breakdown. I will order both of them. I prefer paperback and will order them as such. Amazon.ca does seem to indicate that there are only a few paperback available? I'm assuming it was just recently published and you are waiting on the first print run?
TRUSTtheDRAWCESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #27
Foucault
Philosopher of Poker
 
Foucault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blogging strategy and book reviews
Posts: 4,701
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUSTtheDRAWCESS View Post
Thank you for the breakdown. I will order both of them. I prefer paperback and will order them as such. Amazon.ca does seem to indicate that there are only a few paperback available? I'm assuming it was just recently published and you are waiting on the first print run?
I can't explain that. As far as I know they are print on demand, so I don't know why there would be a limited number.
Foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #28
Al Mirpuri
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Narnia
Posts: 5,372
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foucault View Post
I can't explain that. As far as I know they are print on demand, so I don't know why there would be a limited number.
It could be an Amazon sales trick: get them while you can.
Al Mirpuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #29
BrotherLove9
newbie
 
BrotherLove9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: London
Posts: 39
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mirpuri View Post
It could be an Amazon sales trick: get them while you can.
Yes, it's a marketing trick. See Robert Cialdini's book Influence, chapter 7 named "Scarcity". It triggers you to make an impulse purchase in order to avoid missing out. This will almost never happen because Amazon generally reload their stock very quickly.
BrotherLove9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #30
Al Mirpuri
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Narnia
Posts: 5,372
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLove9 View Post
Yes, it's a marketing trick. See Robert Cialdini's book Influence, chapter 7 named "Scarcity". It triggers you to make an impulse purchase in order to avoid missing out. This will almost never happen because Amazon generally reload their stock very quickly.
Thank you for this. It is good to have scholarly confirmation of an intuition.

Last edited by Al Mirpuri; 09-07-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Al Mirpuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #31
Rocky666
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 62
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Do you know when this book will be available in amazon in kindle? Been seeing Item Under Review sign on the page for awhile.
Rocky666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:46 AM   #32
avatar77
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,115
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky666 View Post
Do you know when this book will be available in amazon in kindle? Been seeing Item Under Review sign on the page for awhile.
Hi Rocky, both Part 1 and Part 2 are available on Kindle. I see it clearly as an option on Amazon (both .ca and .com) so not sure what you are looking at.
Alternatively, I think you can also purchase the e-books directly from Andrew on his website.
avatar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #33
Eponymous
Photoshop Comic Genius
 
Eponymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: How many letters do we have for thi
Posts: 4,566
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
Hi Rocky, both Part 1 and Part 2 are available on Kindle. I see it clearly as an option on Amazon (both .ca and .com) so not sure what you are looking at.
It is now, but as late as yesterday, it was not.
Eponymous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #34
Foucault
Philosopher of Poker
 
Foucault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blogging strategy and book reviews
Posts: 4,701
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Yep, both books are available in the Kindle store now. Sorry for the inconvenience/delay.
Foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #35
Softstep
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Hope to read reviews from players other than those you sent free copies . Not saying this in a hostile way, but not just poping out 30-40 or more
On books or sites or whatever, unless the info is actually actionable.
I constantly read , for example,” when you study these ranges etc with the various calculators,” you’ll start to see patterns emerge so you can play better”. Well, why are those patterns not being published? Is it somehow different for everyone? Is this just another book showing you how to study? Why not publish the findings?
Softstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:32 AM   #36
TianYuan
adept
 
TianYuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 899
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

In the ICM chapter, we are given the indifference equation
0 = (1-%call) * 110 - (%call * 95) and told the answer is 0.136

1. Shouldn't 110 be = 115, since that is the $EV gain for our stack, given earlier on the same page?

2. I am just a cashgame donk, but I can't figure out how you get 0.136 here, instead of 0.548~ On the next page the number 0.133 is instead given. I'm wondering if what was meant was the difference in calls between the two situations, though even that doesn't quite line up.
This seems like a mistake? Though I'm super open to the possibility that I'm missing something obvious and will feel silly soon.

Overall really enjoyed both books!
TianYuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:14 AM   #37
Vampiro
centurion
 
Vampiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 177
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Hi Andrew:

Thanks for your book.

I think KK shouldn't be in Opal's range, but it is in the Kindle version, pos. 180
Vampiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #38
Foucault
Philosopher of Poker
 
Foucault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blogging strategy and book reviews
Posts: 4,701
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softstep View Post
Hope to read reviews from players other than those you sent free copies . Not saying this in a hostile way, but not just poping out 30-40 or more
On books or sites or whatever, unless the info is actually actionable.
I constantly read , for example,” when you study these ranges etc with the various calculators,” you’ll start to see patterns emerge so you can play better”. Well, why are those patterns not being published? Is it somehow different for everyone? Is this just another book showing you how to study? Why not publish the findings?
Hi Softstep, thanks for your interest in the book. I'm not sure what findings you're referring to, but the book does indeed explicitly discuss many of the patterns (I call them heuristics) we can identify by studying solve solutions.

Is it actionable? It's a book about how to think about poker. There's a lot of general advice you can act on right away (being more thoughtful about bet sizing, choice of hands for bluffing, c-betting frequency, etc) but it still requires you to understand concepts to implement them. It doesn't offer a "system" or something, and you should be suspicious of any book that does.

There are 14 reviews on Amazon, all 4- or 5-stars. Three are written by people who received advanced copies of the book.
Foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #39
Foucault
Philosopher of Poker
 
Foucault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blogging strategy and book reviews
Posts: 4,701
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianYuan View Post
In the ICM chapter, we are given the indifference equation
0 = (1-%call) * 110 - (%call * 95) and told the answer is 0.136

1. Shouldn't 110 be = 115, since that is the $EV gain for our stack, given earlier on the same page?

2. I am just a cashgame donk, but I can't figure out how you get 0.136 here, instead of 0.548~ On the next page the number 0.133 is instead given. I'm wondering if what was meant was the difference in calls between the two situations, though even that doesn't quite line up.
This seems like a mistake? Though I'm super open to the possibility that I'm missing something obvious and will feel silly soon.

Overall really enjoyed both books!
Good catch, that does appear to be an error, with the correct answer being .548. It's a less dramatic result, admittedly, but in my defense I will point to the following paragraph:

"That exact number is specific to this scenario and not important. What is important is the process by which we derived it and the general point that Opal calls less often, despite getting the same pot odds, when she considers the ICM implications of the final table."

Thanks for finding this, I will fix in future versions of the book!
Foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #40
Foucault
Philosopher of Poker
 
Foucault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blogging strategy and book reviews
Posts: 4,701
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampiro View Post
Hi Andrew:

Thanks for your book.

I think KK shouldn't be in Opal's range, but it is in the Kindle version, pos. 180
Good catch! That doesn't appear in earlier editions; must have snuck in when I added the higher resolution images. FWIW, it doesn't affect any of the results, which were calculated using the correct ranges.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:00 AM   #41
TianYuan
adept
 
TianYuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 899
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foucault View Post
Good catch, that does appear to be an error, with the correct answer being .548. It's a less dramatic result, admittedly, but in my defense I will point to the following paragraph:

"That exact number is specific to this scenario and not important. What is important is the process by which we derived it and the general point that Opal calls less often, despite getting the same pot odds, when she considers the ICM implications of the final table."

Thanks for finding this, I will fix in future versions of the book!
Yeah easy mistake to make (especially with revising back and forth), I was mostly worried I had completely misunderstood something haha

Thx for confirming it!
TianYuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #42
Softstep
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Thanks for your reply. I unfairly lumped you in with recent publications that talk about equities/ with different board textures. It just seemed silly to me if there were general patterns, then why not point them out.
In certain spots, such as opening ranges, three betting preflop, etc it seems there is/ and has to be a specific- static if you will, strategy set. A system no, but GTO is specific. Correct me if I’m wrong on that. After years of hearing not to commit to a rigid opening raising strategy, now it seems to be unexploitable it needs to be a rigid set of hands.
But what caught my attention is that you said something to the effect of , now that you have learned more about GTO, you’re less concerned about getting into tough spots, but more interested in putting opponents in tough decision spots. So astounds like more aggression, bigger bets, raises in spots that you might not have before?? Any of these scenarios in your book?
Softstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #43
Foucault
Philosopher of Poker
 
Foucault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blogging strategy and book reviews
Posts: 4,701
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Thanks, SS. You're right that the book is about how to use game theory to better navigate your own tough decisions and present your opponents with tough decisions. One important point, however, is that aggression is not the only way to do this. A well-constructed checking range, for instance, presents the opponent with a tough decision about whether to bet certain hands. A well-constructed calling range presents him with tough decisions about whether to bluff.

The scenarios the book examines are designed to increase your understanding of game theory so that you can recognize these opportunities when playing. The advice is not on the order of "make big check-raises on two-tone paired boards when playing as BB vs CO" or something like that. That's too specific to be useful, IMO.

The scenarios are about examining a solver solution and identifying what features of the situation cause the equilibrium to look the way it does: why does one player bet at a higher or lower frequency, why do certain hands get raised, when are overbets used, etc. This enables you to identify these opportunities in any situation you may encounter.
Foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #44
Softstep
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

👍👍 I’ll be buying the book, thank you
Softstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #45
Foucault
Philosopher of Poker
 
Foucault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blogging strategy and book reviews
Posts: 4,701
Re: PLAY OPTIMAL POKER 2: RANGE CONSTRUCTION

Thank YOU!
Foucault is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online