Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines. Sponsored by TwoPlusTwoStore.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #451
Matthew Janda
 
Matthew Janda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by O No GTO View Post
I read in Applications facing a turn bet ip after calling a flop bet that every 1% equity the weakest bluff has when called makes it 2bb cheaper. So a gut shot having 4 outs with 1 street to go has 8% equity. Idk if that can be extrapolated to the situation I mentioned above.
If you have 1% equity in a 200BB pot, you'll get on average 2BB back.

This only works for a 200BB pot, or after you went all-in for 100BB and called.
Matthew Janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #452
O No GTO
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Janda View Post
If you have 1% equity in a 200BB pot, you'll get on average 2BB back.

This only works for a 200BB pot, or after you went all-in for 100BB and called.
Makes sense ty.
O No GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #453
O No GTO
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Hey Matt 100bb eff on 8d9dTs after flatting an oop 3b when in the hj should we look to just raise the flop with 2pair, some straights, JJ QQ and then look to raise blank turn or some diamond turns with a sets+? Lets say we have a slight equity advantage on the flop. I can also see flatting JJ and QQ might be the play not sure.
O No GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #454
tuccotrading
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,092
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

[QUOTE=Matthew Janda;53068418]

#2).....you simply don't get multiway spots all that frequently, and if you do the lines you'll take in multiway pots against GTO villains will be very, very different from the most +EV line vs NL$500 live players.


What would the major differences be?

___

I find it remarkable you generously reply to 2plus2 posters year after year regarding your books and poker theory.
tuccotrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #455
Matthew Janda
 
Matthew Janda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

[QUOTE=tuccotrading;53289483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Janda View Post

#2).....you simply don't get multiway spots all that frequently, and if you do the lines you'll take in multiway pots against GTO villains will be very, very different from the most +EV line vs NL$500 live players.


What would the major differences be?

___

I find it remarkable you generously reply to 2plus2 posters year after year regarding your books and poker theory.
Against non-expert opponents you have to balance nothing, so the "obvious" line can always be taken and will usually be better.

It's like the example in the book where I talk about how in "theory" you should check back flush draws as the button PFR vs the big blind, since if you don't there are no flush draws in your checking range and there's a clear counter-strategy etc etc. Against most opponents (and I would assume nearly everyone who regularly plays NL$200-NL$500 live), this won't matter. Just insta-bet all your flush draws since betting is so effective in a vacuum (it both builds the pot in case you win and denies equity incredibly well).

Basically against mediocre players betting and raising is a much more effective than it should be, and you don't need to worry about your checking/calling ranges being balanced at all.
Matthew Janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #456
Matthew Janda
 
Matthew Janda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by O No GTO View Post
Hey Matt 100bb eff on 8d9dTs after flatting an oop 3b when in the hj should we look to just raise the flop with 2pair, some straights, JJ QQ and then look to raise blank turn or some diamond turns with a sets+? Lets say we have a slight equity advantage on the flop. I can also see flatting JJ and QQ might be the play not sure.
Can you clearly write out the exact action on every street, bet-sizing and all? As is this is just way too messy to give any good advice.
Matthew Janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #457
O No GTO
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Janda View Post
Can you clearly write out the exact action on every street, bet-sizing and all? As is this is just way too messy to give any good advice.
100bb eff
We open 2.5x from hj and the sb 3b to 9x we call. Flop is 8d9hTd opp bets 12into18. How would you play your 2pair+ hands and JJ QQ?
O No GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #458
jasonhau
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 19
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Hey Janda,Happy to consult with you here,in your theoretical framework for bet reason:make the pot big in case we win and deny equity, Can I simplify this theory and understand like this: maximize our pot share and minimize opponent's equity share?
jasonhau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:17 AM   #459
disident
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 92
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhau View Post
Hey Janda,Happy to consult with you here,in your theoretical framework for bet reason:make the pot big in case we win and deny equity, Can I simplify this theory and understand like this: maximize our pot share and minimize opponent's equity share?
Or even more simplified:semibluff/bluff and value bet in balanced frequency.
disident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:41 AM   #460
alabaro
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Russia
Posts: 14
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Hi, Matthew! I read both your “application” books and it was my most useful poker coaching since 2011. In your last book you ask readers be free to contact with you, if arise any question.

Now I have two very important questions and kindly ask you to help me:

The first is about max EV in Spin’n’Go games. In Spin’n’Go’s thread at “two plus two” people talks about absence ICM in Spin’n’Go games and it’s the main reason to play this game in the same way as cash games i.e. we should choose max EV action in every spot with our hand. For example, imagine situation than we know that fold have -2bb EV and call have -1bb EV and in this case we should choose “call” for optimal playing in this spot.

Another “good people” talks about possibility to neglect some EV in order to realize our “advantage” when we playing with weak opponent. This point of view also has some interesting features. For example, imagine situation than we know that our opponent have a huge leaks in play with 9-14bb stack depth and now we play second hand in the tournament with 25 bb eff. stack and have a choice to fold with -2bb EV or call with -1bb EV and we choose suboptimal “fold” in order to realize our advantage in shallow stack depth. What is your point of view?

The second question is about pot odds. Please, imagine theoretical situation when we play cash NLHE and have flush draw on the flop “A93” and our villain OOP bet 1PSB. We absolutely know our opponent plays this way only top pair without any draw. Also we absolutely know our opponent makes another 1PSB if turn’s card not makes up any flush. And third, we absolutely know our opponent pays off 1PSB in case we gather our flush. Should we call 1PSB if we absolutely know that we have pot odds only for one card to make up our draw?

Sorry for my English, it’s not my native language.
alabaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #461
la55i
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Finland
Posts: 48
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Hi Matthew,

I have a question regarding minimum defending frequency. I understand that it doesn't directly apply OTF when we are facing a bet because villain risked money preflop. Is there an easy way to estimate/calculate how often we should really be defending, or is this something we have to do with a solver? And how does it work on further streets? For example if villain 3 barrels and makes it pot size OTR, do we then defend with a 50% range to be unexploitable or are we allowed to fold more than that?
la55i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #462
Matthew Janda
 
Matthew Janda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by la55i View Post
Hi Matthew,

I have a question regarding minimum defending frequency. I understand that it doesn't directly apply OTF when we are facing a bet because villain risked money preflop. Is there an easy way to estimate/calculate how often we should really be defending, or is this something we have to do with a solver? And how does it work on further streets? For example if villain 3 barrels and makes it pot size OTR, do we then defend with a 50% range to be unexploitable or are we allowed to fold more than that?
Nope, not really. This is partly why huge crushers from many years ago had very different frequencies than what's optimal. It was really just hard to know/estimate what's correct and took a long time for top players to get to where they're at now.
Matthew Janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #463
Doc-Magic
stranger
 
Doc-Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Hi Matthew,

I'm not finish your book yet, but I have a question about mix strategies :

- Preflop, there is any software/stuffs to work on to build mix strategies preflop ?

Example : How some players know, we shoud 3bet AQo x% of the time from BU ?
Doc-Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:17 AM   #464
AcesFull
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 120
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

It seems that the Kindle version is still not available. I did buy the paperback from here (2+2) when it first came out. But I would still like to buy a Kindle version as well if they ever put back in the amazon store.
AcesFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #465
Matthew Janda
 
Matthew Janda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Magic View Post
Hi Matthew,

I'm not finish your book yet, but I have a question about mix strategies :

- Preflop, there is any software/stuffs to work on to build mix strategies preflop ?

Example : How some players know, we shoud 3bet AQo x% of the time from BU ?
Yes, PioSOLVER can do this I believe (I didn't buy the pre-flop version though, which I believe is about $1000 and I don't know how accurate it is) and PokerSNOWIE can estimate it.

No one knows the real % of how often to 3-bet AQ pre-flop in a give spot though. I also don't think it's really a big deal as you'll likely know whether you want to 3-bet or call with the AQo for whatever reason.
Matthew Janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #466
Doc-Magic
stranger
 
Doc-Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Hi Matthew,

Section : "Why we bet or raise" page 47 Question No 1 : " You're watching a friend playing, he's in the BB and 3bets a BU open who calls. The flop is the : 322r. You're frient tells you he bets with nearly 100% of his range"

So i understand why, but if we try to look at the different bet sizing we can use. I know lots of players bet around 1/4 pot with nearly all their range on this type of board. But regardless to what you say later in the book, we can have small and large sizing even here right ?

On this example we might bet large with 99,TT,JJ,bluffs and smaller sizing with low pocket pairs and bluffs.

Moreover do you think it's worthwhile to check AA here, since you don't really have to deny equity and you block most of the As high float of your opponent (Even if you say that blockers are not so relevant on the flop because the range are so wide)

Thanks !
Doc-Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #467
Matthew Janda
 
Matthew Janda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Magic View Post
Hi Matthew,

Section : "Why we bet or raise" page 47 Question No 1 : " You're watching a friend playing, he's in the BB and 3bets a BU open who calls. The flop is the : 322r. You're frient tells you he bets with nearly 100% of his range"

So i understand why, but if we try to look at the different bet sizing we can use. I know lots of players bet around 1/4 pot with nearly all their range on this type of board. But regardless to what you say later in the book, we can have small and large sizing even here right ?

On this example we might bet large with 99,TT,JJ,bluffs and smaller sizing with low pocket pairs and bluffs.

Moreover do you think it's worthwhile to check AA here, since you don't really have to deny equity and you block most of the As high float of your opponent (Even if you say that blockers are not so relevant on the flop because the range are so wide)

Thanks !
I'm sure the optimal strategy uses multiple sizes here, as it does for just about every possible spot. How big or how small it's willing to go though is something no one knows with certainty.

I'd definitely have no problem if I was coaching you and saw you bet bigger with TT than KK though. Go for it bro, looks good.

I would not check AA as I think the BB is too strong here and the check looks too suspicious. Sometimes (but not always) you just have to bet when you're strong and your opponent is weak and hope they just have a hand that can call.
Matthew Janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #468
Doc-Magic
stranger
 
Doc-Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Hi Matthew,

I'm looking back to your "BU range vs 3bet from the blinds" and i'm asking myself why did he choose A5o and A4o rather than some Axs ?

Thanks for the reply !
Doc-Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #469
Matthew Janda
 
Matthew Janda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Magic View Post
Hi Matthew,

I'm looking back to your "BU range vs 3bet from the blinds" and i'm asking myself why did he choose A5o and A4o rather than some Axs ?

Thanks for the reply !
AXs is probably doing something else.

Keep in mind the pre-flop ranges are probably 6-7 years old at this point (when made, not when first published). We have access to much more knowledge and much more powerful software in 2018 than we did in 2011, so you absolutely shouldn't assume this book is right and you're wrong if you disagree about pre-flop.
Matthew Janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #470
Doc-Magic
stranger
 
Doc-Magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Re: No-Limit Hold ’em For Advanced Players by Matthew Janda Reviews and discussion

Hi,

I'm looking at section "Playing single raised pot IP"

On the board : 872r

You bet big with your strong but vulnerable hands such as TT,99,A8. But with hands like QQ+ would you bet a bit smaller, because you don't have to deny much more equity, maybe checking back a small % of the time ?

I'm curious about your opinion and maybe what a solver will respond.
Doc-Magic is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online